Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I joined when I moved in 2015. One of my wife’s friends lived in the neighborhood and gave us an invite. Somehow I’ve been made a mod in the past year and I have no idea why - maybe because I never post? I mainly just vote whether or not to remove things based on how chuddy they are. :shrug:

Smugworth posted:

Often people post pictures of "wolves" then get told they are coyotes in my neck of the woods

We got a post of “BEWARE COYOTES” accompanied by a photo of some cool foxes.

Otherwise my neighborhood Nextdoor is mostly just people looking for contractors willing to work for pocket lint and frozen shrimp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

AHH F/UGH posted:

Where do you guys live where you have covid deniers and insane racists in your neighborhoods?

I'm in a blue county in blue Illinois (not Chicago), and we had a full-on WWG1WGA poster for a while, another deranged Trumper poster named "Bull" who liked to threaten apocalyptic violence on "liberals" (once again, blue county, blue Illinois), and a COVID denier named Piotr who Kramer'd onto any post about COVID/vaccines/masks, etc to spread bullshit.

All three of them appear to have been banned over time, or else just logged off on their own. I think it depends on who your neighborhood "Lead" is, and I think the Leads are just the first person to register your neighborhood. Got a relatively normal person as a Lead? Then at least you won't have flagrant racism and QAnon poo poo. But if your Lead is some flavor of chud? Yeah, the whole thing's probably hosed from day one.

PirateDentist posted:

"Need handyman to do major work, will only pay $25. I don't want ripped off!" For sale, old half broken garbage, priced at 98% MSRP. Coyote spotted! Then Missing Cat posts. (Keep your pets inside assholes!)

This right here is the essence of Nextdoor no matter where you live and who your neighborhood Lead is.

But I learn, like, one useful thing from it every year, so I get the daily digest emails. And I use my mod powers to vote to remove any chud posts that get reported (most reported posts are just spam, mostly from realtors, MLM'ers, and "financial advisors.")

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Zero One posted:

Someone stole one of my trash cans. I don't know who because I didn't have 60 cameras on my property. :(

It didn't have a lid and had a hole in the bottom too. Who was that desperate?

meat police posted:

people actually steal trash bins fwiw. and the trash folks require to take time out of your day to file a loving police report about a plastic bin before they give you another one. chock up another victim of the trash bin bandits

Waste Management stole my trash can, they chucked it into the back of their garbage truck either on accident or to be dicks (I've witnessed them speeding up and slamming into cans a few times - just for fun). Then when I called they made me file a police report. Okay: "Hello, Mr. Police. Waste Management stole my garbage can and they won't give me another one until I have you file a report that says they stole it. Thanks!"

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

A Fancy Hat posted:

MAN IN PINK SHIRT SPOTTED WALKING YESTERDAY

Did anyone else see a guy in a pink shirt walking around the neighborhood yesterday? Seemed to just be walking up and down streets with no reason. At one point I saw him talking to someone on the phone, maybe coordinating something?

I'm not against gay people but worry what this means for the neighborhood if one of them is coordinating home invasions. Just very suspicious with everything else going on.

Thanks and God Bless.

Oh no! Gays?! In OUR neighborhood?!

Our property values are about to skyrocket. :eng99:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

BUY MY DIRTY-rear end BROOM, YOU FUCKS!!!

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

My toilet's been leaking for 20 years and destroying the drywall above my dining room to the point where it might collapse.

Should I proactively research licensed and bonded plumbers in my area to get the most qualified person out to fix it?

gently caress NO!!!

I'm going to trawl Nextdoor for a plumber and emphasize they should be "GOOD."

There's so many red flags here, that whoever takes her up on this deserves what they're in for.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Attempted Vehicle Theft

I made a short shopping trip tonight at or local <grocery store>.. I park at the end of the parking lot.. my car is ‘new’ to me.. I lock it twice.. after a 15 min stop to grab a few things I came outside to my vehicle running!! I shut it off w the remote and the vehicle (black a Ford Ranger) parked 2 spots away left suddenly... I contacted the <city> Police who then told me to file a complaint w <redacted> County.. go down to the Police Station and do such. It seems they are apparently uninterested in the situation., so be it. I just wanted to let my neighbors know that this is happening here. We are close to the highway., easy targets.. please be careful and share here so we can inform each other what is happening here in our community. Take care and be safe everyone.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

no pubes yet sorry posted:

does everyone who signs up for nextdoor get an email from a "neighborhood representative" or whatever?

Nope, never.

Condolences on your upcoming murder.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

This loving rules!

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Some guy on Nextdoor posted:

Subject: I need a plumber

Body: I need plumber

Posted 20 hours ago. Zero replies, zero likes.

Okay, cool. :thumbsup:

I just picture a guy standing in poo poo-water up to his ankles staring at the app going, "C'mon! C'MON!!! Why isn't anyone answering me?!!"

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Every time I see the open carry chuckle fucks just doing their grocery shopping or buying sandwiches or whatever I imagine how easy it would be to bonk them on the head and steal their fancy guns. Just have your buddy grab her arm when she's reaching for the bread, you get her gun, then skedaddle.

:same:

Or in this case, I don’t need a buddy. I could just coldcock her and then take her gun before she even noticed I was there. Bing-bam-boom free gun, so easy!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Play posted:

Legit strange:

quote:

To my parents, This Easter please do not buy me any bunny rabbits only unless there stuffed animals. I know that in the past I have got one or two but you know I will not take care of it and you will let it or them go into neighborhoods where they multiply and take over, so please please please don't buy them for me.
Thanks
Love you

Nah, this is just a quirky "don't buy kids live chicks/rabbits as pets for Easter," message that's getting a bit diluted by the 1st person narration.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I demand to speak to the bird manager

“The customer is always right,” mentality/pandering has destroyed society to point that a bunch of yahoos showed up at the Capitol on 1/6 demanding to speak to a manager because they were dissatisfied with the results of an election. :lol:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I have one form my local Nextdoor:

quote:

My apologies to anybody this offends. ...

However, if you look at the photographs below, you will see a park in _______. Also there is a picture of a dead, half decayed coyote. Said coyote has been dead and rotting on the road across from that park in _____ for TWO MONTHS!!!! I have made approximately a dozen phone calls to the Village, the Police Department, Animal Control, the Public Works Department, the mayor's office, AND the most recently _____ Township. Melanie from _____ Township called me back to inform me that location is not the "townships" responsibility. I should contact the state police.

Look, there is a dead, decaying corpse on the road across from a park where children play. I have spent two months trying to get ANYBODY to clean it up!!! I live in ______ for Christ's Sake!!!! All of the people I have contacted have essentially told me "Not my job, not my problem."

Meanwhile, kids are killing themselves because of forced isolation from lack of interaction with friends and peers. The economy has been crippled by a global pandemic, I can't go anywhere without a mask on, there were critical shortages of toilet paper and sanitizer a year ago, AND YET EVERY GOVERNMENT AGENCY I HAVE CALLED WON'T CLEAN UP THE ROTTING DEAD FLESH FROM NEXT TO THE PARK!!!!!

Has the world lost it's collective mind, or is it me????

It's you, lady. You're fuckin' nuts.

Also, the photo she attached looks like a mat of fake fur someone left in the grass. :shrug:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Nextdoor is full of olds who think every post is an email to them, personally.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Sjs00 posted:

Florida

Yeah, gently caress that.

Cons of living in Florida:
Prehistoric lizards wandering around
Everyone is Floridaman/Floridawoman
Non-stop year-round humidity
Is actively sinking into the ocean
Sink holes

Pros of living in Florida:
:shrug:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

therobit posted:

Someone at Nextdoor made the regrettable decision that I should be a mod for my area. Interestingly they actually seem to be heading in a better direction. They have a bunch of articles and training they want you to read about bias and discussing controversial topics. They have expressly banned “whit lives matter” and related content, and ban “blue lives matter” and “all lives matter” when they are being used to denigrate or take away from the Black Lives Matter movement for racial justice ( their wording). I am actually impressed that they care that much.

:lol: Someone made me a mod and I never bothered reading poo poo.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Is that in Palm Beach, Florida by chance? :sad:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Adult diapers, never used. :smith:

"Adult diapers. I have 2 packages of these and I don't use them. One package has been opened and one taken out. I'm giving them away. Please message me if anyone is interested. Thanks"

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Pasketti posted:

I joined nextdoor because of this thread to snoop for drama and find content for this thread but instead I got a gig walking a dog for an old lady in my building :confuoot:

That’s a good dog!

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Mormon Nailer posted:

This is wholesome, please update on the dog walks and old lady friendship.

Please don’t. He’s a goon, it will start with him offering to build her a computer “for free,” meaning just the cost of parts, which she doesn’t understand because she’s an old lady and doesn’t get how it went from “for free” to hundreds of dollars, and then it will end with him clogging her toilet and then making a giant mess in her bathroom when he tries to “fix” it, at which point she demands he leave before she calls the cops.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Oh.

Well, you’ll probably do fine then.

Carry on. :golfclap:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

The person who types like they're crazy is probably right though, it was a squirrel or rabbit not someone walking into their yard to steal a single small tomato.

I used to be roommates with an otherwise totally normal, sane person who thought the neighbors were putting pieces of stale bread on their bumper. I told them it was probably a squirrel and they never totally believed that until they walked outside to see a squirrel eating bread on their bumper then put it down and run off.

Every once in a while, someone on Nextdoor goes nuts because they find a mutilated rabbit or just a rabbit head in their yard and automatically assume it’s someone threatening them.

We live in an area where there’s hawks, owls, foxes, coyotes, etc., but of course the most likely culprit is someone’s cat.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

kntfkr posted:

There's a Versailles outside of Pittsburgh that's pronounced Vur-sales. I've also always found the NJ/DE Newark thing funny. People like me say "N'rk" and people in Delaware say "New Ark", as if there's an Old Ark.

There’s a Lebanon, IN that the locals pronounce, “Luh-BAN-nun.”

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Big Beef City posted:

The Jay Cutler Overpass is a Chicago icon. RIP to a legend.

:nice:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

therobit posted:

LOL not sure what a labor shortage in underpaid low-skill industries has to do with a shortage of refined gasoline but OK.

Truck drivers. Go back to stories in 2018 about how the tax bill passed in Dec 2017 screwed them out of a bunch of deductions, to the point that some of them said they might quit. Then, when lockdowns started and demand for gas fell, a lot of them got furloughed or laid off. Now, as things start picking up, there’s not enough truck drivers trained to haul volatile fuel, and they take a relatively long time to train. Also, with the worker shortage, a lot of potential drivers are finding easier, better paying work elsewhere.

CNN started having stories about the looming fuel truck driver shortage back in April, saying it’d really hit in July, and now it’s July.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Ralph Hurley posted:

Soros is a made up person right? The way these loons carry on about him, he seems just the final boss in their never ending battle with completely imaginary enemies.

He's a Hungarian Jewish person who came to America after WWII and became a billionaire hedge fund guy. He donates to Democratic politicians and causes, and during the W Bush years, said Bush's rise reminded him of Hitler. He funds Media Matters, which is basically an org that watches Fox News all day to report on what they're showing their audience to normies. It really doesn't haven't much impact.

All this "help" is actually pretty anemic. Media Matters only seems to employe, like, three people at a time. If he had started up an honest-to-god Liberal/Left leaning news organization during the Bush years, or bought up a bunch of local newspapers instead of letting right-wing ghouls buy them all, it might be paying dividends by now, but :effort:

If George Soros paid all the people that the Right claimed he did, he wouldn't be a billionaire any more.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

SRQ posted:

has next-door been overrun by people asking for ivermectin yet.

:horsedrugs:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

"Electricity theft by A____ Roofing. A heads up to anyone living in the buildings who are having roofing done by this company, they likely have been using YOUR electricity. These guys have been using my outlets to run their tools for at least two days and not once was I asked permission for them to plug into my outlets. We contacted the company and after back and forth they agreed to reimburse us but I would HIGHLY advise others to do the same if they’ve done work on yours or will be doing work to prevent any issues."

So far there are over 30 comments just dunking on her. Finally, in these divisive times, a post that you can unite everybody.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Weka posted:

Like it's bad to jerk off on the street sure but it's worse to call the cops on the dude. Just pull your curtains.

Hey, I think I just found the guy that was jerking off in the street! :cawg:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Corn Glizzy posted:

The raccoons where I’m at have become the dominant murder species. Friend of mine had a big ol’ family of them living in the green belt behind her home and apparently their learned her dogs bathroom schedule and hid under her deck and when the dog jumped off to use the bathroom they snatched it mid air and pulled it under the deck and ate it. This was mid day, they just gave zero shits.

Holy poo poo, I didn’t know they could do that.

gently caress raccoons.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

sarcastx posted:

I'm not on Nextdoor (unless I can find a way to defeat their real name/address checks) but I'm in a few Facebook community groups for my area which is sortakinda adjacent to Waukesha County, WI - and let me tell you, the past 36 hours or so have been rough with shitloads of "those people" talk after the parade incident. Forget dog whistles - these are loving dog sirens.

Waukesha County is built on white flight from Milwaukee going back to the 60s, so… yeah, a poo poo ton of racism.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

If you’ve read this far, I’ve already human trafficked you. :pervert:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Utility company, a realtor who might approach you to sell the property or was just appraising the neighborhood, a customer of a carpenter who was taking a picture of the porch to ask them replicate it, historical interest, a childhood home.

Also appraisers. Private appraisers needing comps to prove a house in the neighborhood under contract is worth the selling price in order for the lender to approve the loan. Or local government appraisers deciding property values for your property taxes. Also insurance companies when you add/change to a new homeowners policy.

There’s literally dozens of legit reasons for people to photograph houses, it’s just part of the lubricant of our society, but these sheltered morons act like it’s something to be alarmed about.

People who don’t understand anything about how anything works. Then everything becomes a conspiracy. :tinfoil:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Chief McHeath posted:

People that don't know you can get a brand new *whatever item* for the same price as their used garbage are all over Nextdoor.

Oh, they know. They’re just dumb as poo poo and fundamentally don’t understand that items are worth less than what they paid for them by virtue of them being used and not from a store, therefore no return policy or warranty.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Blue Moonlight posted:

Just LOL at having that goofy eye when you could have Boris the Burglar™:

That’s the one I grew up with! I had no idea what the gently caress it was depicting until years later, for some reason it just looked like a jumbled mess of shapes to me. Didn’t know he had a name, either.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

MarxCarl posted:

Hi my wife is in intensive care with covid, so know any good cleaning services?

:stare:

I swear, some people are anti-vax/anti-mask because they’re trying to kill someone close to them.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I fed 20,000 Nextdoor posts into an AI script and I got the following:

:hmmyes: Accurate!

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Bismuth posted:

Just opened it to this

So I have to watch your dog, and then you're going to stab me?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

A Fancy Hat posted:

There's a guy in my neighborhood who has been asking for recommendations on home repairs. Replacing a leaky faucet, new shingles on his roof, mulching his flowerbed, and replacing his siding. Nothing unusual there at all.

Except, every time, he adds "I could easily do this myself but would prefer to have someone else do it."

It's a really bizarre thing to consistently add, I guess he doesn't want to be accused of not being an expert in home and garden things?

It’s performative masculinity. “I’m man enough to do this, I just don’t want to! :bahgawd:

He has no clue how to do it, otherwise he wouldn’t be paying someone else.