Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

once you recognize the secret reason for Jack wanting to kill Chaos, you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Nomura and Team Ninja managed to make a pretty drat good story out of this perceived joke game. Time to break out the Vita and replay FF1

Yeah I was surprised. Almost...disappointed, even? I was sort of hoping it would shoot the moon and lean in to being funny but instead it was just sort of fine, with moments of occasionally being quite good

I was actually a little moved by Astos' whole "who am I?" scene after it got recontextualized with the reveals later on, I thought they did a good job with the VA and facial animations in particular there.

But then I also audibly guffawed at the Jack Garland reveal even though I knew it was coming so I guess it was at least still a little goofy. Then the part towards the end where you kill all your friends fell a little flat for me because I forgot to internalize any personalities or traits for any of the supporting characters besides "Jed's the annoying one" but maybe that's just on me, who can say.

Either way, I didn't have any expectations for the story at all, and the gameplay was way more fun than I was anticipating (I fully cackled the first time I cast ultima, boy that's a cool spell) so I'm real happy with how this game came out. I already want to start a new game but I really should play other things first

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oh yeah I knew the intro used a Frank Sinatra song so that's definitely the reason for that, I didn't know about the ending though.

It rolls over the end credits yeah. I could swear I watched like an hour of a stream of SirLarr playing SoP and I don't remember him saying anything unusual while he was streaming, but maybe I didn't watch long enough or he had a special deal or something, I dunno

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Twist ending of the FFVII DLC is that you kill aerith

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Barudak posted:

Yeah its less "this is hard" and more "this is boring, I've done the content already"

On that subject, is there actually any new content in chaos mode, or is it just more number to make go up? I played the game on easy because I'm bad at video games and I've done every main mission and side mission that the game made available to me; do I unlock any new missions or anything interesting by going into chaos mode, or is it just the same stuff but harder?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I’m extremely excited to eventually get this then. Unfortunately elden ring has taken over my life but I am looking forward to this

In my mind it is as cheesy in a good way as DMC3 but I hope I’m not setting myself up for disappointment

I took a break from Elden Ring to play this and feel like it was a good choice; the game's reasonably short, I beat it in 18 hours (again, on easy, doing all the side missions too, it'll be faster if you decide you don't care about those).

It's...a little less cheesy than I was expecting based on how social media was making fun of it, but it's also not not cheesy. Closer to DMC3 than DMC2, for sure, but not quite all the way there (with the caveat that the only thing I really remember about DMC3 is the opening cutscene)

IcePhoenix posted:

it's just number go up

phew, ty, i can skip it then

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I guess that's also why there aren't mooglez

Autocorrected to a z but I'll leave it

I honestly expected that to be what the white bats were, but no

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If Homer Simpson can be 36, Auron can be 35

Arthur Morgan is also 36, so living or dying, in Auron's case rough can age a fella

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the opening fmv of final fantasy x where auron calmly walks down the street as sin approcahes zanarkand still owns

I kind of like the buttrock blitzball theme even now

A guilty pleasure, but a pleasure

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

What is "buttrock" anyway? People say Otherworld is buttrock, the songs in Revengeance are buttrock, seems like any time there's a metal song in a video game it's buttrock.

to quote Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart, i know it when i see it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

This game really nailed depicting ultima as powerfully as people in other FF games describe it and everyone should experience casting it at least once

You don't necessarily need to beeline for sage if you decide that casting isn't your thing, there's other valid ways to play, but you should try it out before you put the game down

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Eight-Six posted:

Nope. I had to farm the first room of the next main mission a few times to gear up so I wasn't getting crushed in one hit for the side missions and the main mission that opened up right there.

It's weird, yeah. The game makes you think that you don't have the gear level required to do the mission, but the only way to get the gear is to start the mission. I mean it works, functionally, you can kill the early enemies easily enough and just equip what they drop, it's just an odd UI to choice to put a big red /!\ in front of it before you start

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I thought it was also funny because they just show up out of the blue in "stranger's clothing" looking nothing like anyone else in the area they live in, looking like they fell out of new york into a fantasy land, and that was just completely normal to each of them, and no one else brings it up just [Grunts Acknowledgement]

I think that first hour of the game gave me brain damage

these are all deliberate choices that make a certain kind of sense by the end

i mean, the story of this game isn't gonna win any awards, it's no the last of us, but it isn't nearly as stupid as the first 10 minutes or the twitter dogpile will lead you to believe, there is an arc

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

That said, if you played for an hour and aren't enjoying the gameplay, you probably should just stop because you've got a pretty good sense of what the rest of the game is going to feel like by now, that at least isn't going to fundamentally change

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

[grunt]

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Vitamean posted:

best thing about stranger of paradise is they turned astos, a little speedbump on the road to Lich, into an actual character

it's okay if the game isn't for you

Astos rules yeah. His whole "who am i?" scene in the last stretch was really well done, I like how it's set up so that the player is just as confused as Jack until you piece it together later and realize what a dick you must have sounded like

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Mage can cast Blizzaga, can't it? Mage is a starting job.

Mage just gets the crystal elements I think, fire/water/wind/earth. Black mage (and maybe red?) is the one that gets blizzard.

Ibblebibble posted:

Void Knight's Runic can suck up her Tridisaster and use it to give yourself unlimited mana or throw a big sword beam at her, it rules.

Void Knight's Runic ability whips rear end, it's real satisfying when you find the right time to use it for big damage.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I don't know if it's optimal or not, but I do enjoy playing dragoon with a greatsword and just leaping into the fray and then wrecking everyone in a guts-like manner. It's a gap closer that's also a pretty OP attack that also feels and looks amazing, what's not to love

I'm glad they let you do it, because I love jump but I don't really love spears in this game.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

cock hero flux posted:

i know it's just the way that the robe hangs but seymour always looks like he has a big beer gut to me

he has a beer gut and chest hair and i won't hear otherwise

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

cafeteria worker minigame where you have to serve hot dogs at the lunch rush

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

hotdogs make more sense to americans, culturally

I was a teenager when 8 came out and probably was too dumb to know what yakisoba pan was and too lazy to look it up and while I’m better now, I still like the idea of zell as the hot dog guy

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Gil, Please

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I say let's hear him out

Was the Leviathan DLC good? I got the season pass but haven't got around to playing it yet

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

Subject change, then.

Do people prefer FFs with more rigid job roles (IV, IX, XV, arguably X/XIII/VII-Remake), free flexibility (V, X-2, XII), or some middle-road where characters have a certain role/identity but can still freely access things like magic, just limited by stats (VI, VII, VIII)?

I’m a dumbass with no creativity in RPGs so I like it when characters have clear roles like in X (which I guess offers you some flexibility if you’re smart but you aren’t obliged to do it to beat the game). As soon as it’s my responsibility to make characters good at things I start to panic

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

X-2 came when I was a teenage boy desperate to prove that he wasn’t gay (and it turns out I’m not, but it was still something insecure teen boys had to think about at the time) and I don’t think I ever really gave it a fair shake, does it hold up? I should try it again, I did really like X

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

FF7 makes more sense if you think of it as being written like the key & peele gremlins 2 sketch. Just a loose sequence of weird ideas that nobody was allowed to say no to

I'm not sure the remake ties it together any better but I like that it generally preserved the "what the hell is happening right now" energy

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

zedprime posted:

It's not too late.

i assume on a long enough timeline, everything will end up in there. and it's not like new numbered games are coming out at a breakneck pace or anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Augus posted:

I have played all 3 of those games and all 3 of them hit for me

:same:

Video games are fun don’t @ me