Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

This is the worst thing I've seen in this thread. Who puts bananas in the fridge?

Also FWIW, they make car chargers that are setup to communicate about how much load they can draw. The usual usage is putting two of them on the same circuit, so if you've only got one plugged in you get full amperage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NotJustANumber99 posted:

penetration panel

Towards an L shape architecture:: The Penetration Panel

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Messadiah posted:

Possibly so people can't just rip your doorbell off and plug into your network?

You don't have all your externally mounted devices on an isolated vlan? What are you even doing?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think you should tear it all out and do a subpanel at each end of the L to minimize runs

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NotJustANumber99 posted:

got a fair bit of wire left over

I think that means you aren't done yet.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NotJustANumber99 posted:

so i can turn it on remotely, perfect any temperature you want shower from anywhere in the world! I feel like I've explained this multiple times.

If you move the plants from the plant room into the shower, you can water them when you're on vacation!

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Could you spray the terrible bricks with a concrete sealer, so they don't suck in as much moisture?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This seems relevant from the crappy construction thread

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

UCS Hellmaker posted:

I don't think I've ever heard of a toilet in the us that doesn't have a hole at the bottom specifically to help with keeping poo gas from escaping but also to directly reject your poo poo into the sewer line. Hence my :psyduck:

Every wall mounted commercial toilet?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Horatius Bonar posted:

Of course I agree students shouldn't be trusted with windows that open, sharp objects, or even most round objects. I'd say the contact switches in the building I worked on seemed like a great idea to deal with how people interact with their spaces - let people open their windows but then, no wasted energy on heat. I'd bet the people who designed the building I worked on learned a lesson from your experience with university dorms.

You don't think the students would bypass the switches? I do...

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

big scary monsters posted:

I've lost a lot of faith in the L house after seeing those pod plans tbh.

Think of the L shaped house as a docking station for pods. Once you've got enough of them, it'll be a regular square shaped house.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

pseudorandom name posted:

Ethernet doesn't go out of style because we keep inventing entirely new things and calling them Ethernet.

edit: We do the same thing with WiFi, with the additional caveat that the exciting new versions of WiFi can't penetrate walls.

So I'm gonna need an access point in the bathroom so I can use my phone on the shitter?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Computer viking posted:

The current solution is to support both 2.4 and 5 GHz, since 5 has more channels and higher bandwidth, but 2.4 goes through walls better. 6GHz is even faster/more channels/worse at walls, and LiFi even more so if it ever becomes widespread.

I suspect 2.4 will be with us indefinitely as a fallback, just for the range and coverage benefits.

Also, the real solution is to get a 5G nanocell in every bathroom, so your guests/victims don't need to use the WiFi.

Hell I still have stuff that's 2.4 only (sonos)

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
36 spotlights?

Oh I figured it out, this is actually an operating room. That explains all the airtightness concerns.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

That's a pretty nice boat you've got going on. Plenty of room for cargo.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NotJustANumber99 posted:

probably.

The ventilation system, despite everyones ideas, isnt like a loving high powered vacuum system that can suck the atmosphere out of a room to murder the occupants. annoyingly.

and yet..

quote:

In the previous tooms they did want the windows open to let the moisture escape. But its got kind of colder and wetter in the last couple of weeks...

You typo'd tombs

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Why do you need a smart meter from the power company?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

He wants a three phase. Those don't come as standard.

He's designed the rest of the electrical system from scratch, he can't go with a dumb utility meter and add his own CTs? Random googling points me to https://www.newark.com/simpson/37027/three-phase-current-transformer/dp/25C2456 , which will do up to 100A

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NotJustANumber99 posted:

ok yeah is interesting and I possibly do want something like that as well, but it does not solve the problem.

The smart meter is essential. The smart meter is the bit that tells the energy company exactly when I took the power, i.e. when it was free/negative cost. I can do all sorts of smart poo poo my end but without the smart meter relaying my live half hourly usage I'm not getting paid.

So instead of dealing with the higher costs for now, you just don't have an electrical hookup in the building? Can you just get a dumb one installed and get it swapped later?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You've already got the hole, can you just drop in some concrete and call it another maintenance manhole? It would be no different then what all the other manhole bases look like.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

withak posted:

They are absolutely going to send a guy out with a drill.

Bold of you to assume he's going to have a drill.

Does the guy showing up need a break room?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i think it will stay in place. And hide the plumbing because its ugly. it wont need maintenance as it will be expertly fitted in the first place.

Towards L shape architecture: it wont need maintenance as it will be expertly fitted in the first place.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Have you considered making your own tank? I think you could rig one up with a water heater and some copper tubing.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Just Winging It posted:

Yup, I've lost count of the number of otherwise capable tradies absolutely hamstrung by skinflint wanknozzle managers. Because the savings of not , say, having your boiler & heating maintenance people have all the common tubing & joint pieces in their work van surely makes up for the oodles of mandatory return visits and sheer loss of valuable work time from not having it available and having to order it for every loving job.

My wife works for a supplier to utilities, the amount of outright waste that goes on there is staggering. They had one guy that was bitching he couldn't bring his truck with a welder home anymore to do side jobs.

They can't keep shovels in stock, for whatever reason they just disappear regularly. (Oh my shovel broke I need a new one repeated monthly). Spools of tracer wire get used up like crazy (100ft spool, 20 ft run, remainder just vanishes somehow)

Just based on stories, I'd guess there's at least 25% of common supplies don't get used for actual jobs.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

Fibre round here comes in over the old telephone poles.

Around here the cable ISP literally tied the fiber to their existing coax cable plant, so there's no real way they can ever remove it.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fidelitious posted:

I feel like there should be some concern if you have windows freezing up with condensation, pipes freezing, and rusting corner beads when it's only -5?

It's -20 here and my relatively crappy house from 1948 has not had a hint of frost or pipe problems and the idiots that renovated it ran some water pipes in external walls for short sections.

Have you measured your humidity, it must be something crazy high for winter.

What's he even going to do about it if the humidity is high? It's not like he has power to run dehumidifiers.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Some Guy From NY posted:

do both of those tanks in your plant room contain water? why do you not have them each in a pan that has a water sensor that can give you a notification if they leak? the pan will contain the possible leak, enough for the sensor to notify you and you can get there quick before the room fills up with water.

What, you don't think the plants need water too?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How did you manage to get switches where on is down and off is up?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Failed Imagineer posted:

that's what paint looks like up close. If you want it to be smoother you can sand the interior of the whole house with v fine-grit

Maybe he could get a better roller cover? But yea, that's what paint looks like

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SpeedFreek posted:

Why did you dope up the threads on the compression fittings? That's not where the sealing happens, Swagelok even tells you not to do that on their compression fittings.

I thought we were well past listening to instructions

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you're planning on doing something you intend to remove/reinstall, you want to install unions. Compression fittings are not really meant to be removed/reinstalled.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DNK posted:

Noob: Cut twice
Master: Measure twice, cut once
Gigabrain: Measure once, cut twice

This thread: measuring tape was wrong so I made my own

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How is 20C too hot? Don't you need some heat for the plaster to cure?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Granite Octopus posted:

I think i'm weird but i hate the hollow clacky sound of floating boards on concrete. i got the our floor glued down purely because of that. the special adhesive they want you to use is crazy expensive though.

We have a floating wood floor on concrete with a 1/4 inch underlay and it's silent.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Did you leave that much extra on every cable? If so you probably bought 2x more cable then you need

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've discovered hard wax oil recently and it's been great... Rubio monocoat is the name brand, but I've been using Natura Onecoat which is a fraction of the price.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What does it look like if you get it a little wet? I'm thinking you probably just need a decent topcoat to bring out the color?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NotJustANumber99 posted:

will i get on a another list?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

I would not recommend shellac for bathroom wood counters

shellac dissolves with alcohols, and those are often used in the bathroom (mouthwash etc) and is not especially waterproof

the danish oil is bare minimum, better for waterproofedness would be a varnish, best would be to encase it in bartop polyurethane or similar

I've recently started using Natura Onecoat on stuff, and have been pretty happy. I'm not sure how it would behave in a bathroom though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Towards L shape architecture: My holes are too rough