Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

With regards to Elon's intelligence, pretty much the only intelligence test you need for Elon is to just look at the whole "loop" concept, and his grand ideas for it. It pretty cleanly demonstrates that his intelligence is average at best.

IMO his success is mostly just kind of preferential attachment: he was extremely lucky with some moves early in his career, and so he has "grown" a fairly large portfolio. But there isn't really a mystery here, since one of the largest ways that we allocate resources is just by the people with money deciding what gets funded. So he takes his considerable wealth and influence, invests in some companies, and whatever good things come out are attributed to him. The more nuanced view here is it's the people that make up the company, the engineers, office staff, factory workers, janitors, etc. that have really contributed the most to those successes.

He's one of the wealthiest people on earth not because of his talent and intellect, but because the accrual of wealth and success is largely a stochastic affair; we're looking at the lucky guy who has enough money so he can buy more money and more success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Imagined posted:

Stochastic is a $10 word for "random" and there's nothing "random" about how wealth is assigned and accrued in this country. If anything I'd describe wealth as gravitational: once you mass enough of it it warps space to draw more to itself.

Yeah that's pretty much what I was going for. I mean it's random in the sense that PayPal could have failed (or Tesla) and Elon would just be another boring millionaire rather than a billionaire. And the success or failure of either of those companies doesn't really depend on Elon.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Yes actually

Apparently when the NBA merged with the ABA: https://www.inc.com/joseph-steinberg/4-lessons-from-the-greatest-business-deal-in-sports-history.html

The NBA lawyers looked for decades trying to find some sort of legal loophole to get out of it, and they ended up paying the two $500 million + a small annual percentage to finally end the deal. In 2014.

quote:

Ironically, the brothers were also in the news about another investment that didn't quite pan out the same way - they invested millions with Bernie Madoff.

lmao

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

goatface posted:

It's ok though, the radiation exposure during the trip will probably terminate it and sterilise you.

I knew about the radiation exposure during the trip to mars, but I didn't realize that on the surface of Mars there's still a significant amount of radiation since the atmosphere is thin. According to this conference proceeding the radiation exposure is like 50 times or more the typical Earth background levels and you'd need something like 25 feet of rock above you to get down to Earth-like levels.

So yeah glass habitats on Mars are going to be like grow a few plants but don't build a city there.

Hope they bring a lot of oncologists.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Durzel posted:

At this point nothing the court in Delaware would have realistically imposed on him could be as bad as what has happened. Even if Musk had done absolutely nothing at all since buying it he would've still vastly overpaid - probably by 3x - for the company.

I can't imagine the court would have forced him to complete since it was evident - at least for a time - that they were unhappy bedfellows. What seems more likely is that he would've had a punitive fine of several billion dollars. More than the $1b break clause, but less (a lot less) than the purchase price. A low double figures billion fine seemed most likely.

That would have sucked for Musk, paying that sort of money having nothing to show for it, but at the same time you would've thought as a ~shrewd businessman~ that paying 3x the valuation of a consistently loss making company that hasn't come up with a strategy for effectively monetising its userbase in 16 years was much, much worse - yet here we are.

This is history in the making - hubris, schadenfreude, comedy, portent - rolled into one. We're seeing a modern day Emperor's New Clothes parable playing out in real time, in real life.

I'm curious as to how Tesla stock will fare in all of this. The stock price of that is predicated on the continued belief that Musk has a Midas touch. He's always been a complete bullshitter with timelines for autonomous driving, etc but the general public - who are mystified by the technology - have generally continued to fall for this crap, but it's hard to see how that will continue with Twitter - which they can understand - playing out the way it is. That's before you even consider the financial ramifications if he needs to sell more stock to shore Twitter up.

The court couldn’t impose any kind of fine or punitive penalty. The contract was written such that if it did not go through the only amount of damages Twitter could collect was 1 billion. So the court had 2 options for ruling: Musk pays 1 billion, or specific performance is ordered, where Musk would be compelled to purchase Twitter. Third option being settlement out of court.

Of course everyone realized that specific performance was pretty likely, so he just went ahead with it to save some face.

I don’t think he can sell more stock as such since twitter stock doesn’t exist any more (it’s bought out), but he could try to make an IPO I think. But I know gently caress all about finance.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Durzel posted:

Fair point. I meant selling TSLA stock, but then I guess he'd be in trouble with their shareholders for doing that? (derivative lawsuit on behalf of Tesla, or breach of fidicuary duty, etc)

I guess what I was thinking of was what would happen if the court said he had to buy Twitter and he claimed he couldn't (I guess that wouldn't work since he did have financials in place), or wouldn't, or something? Like what would actually happen in that case?

Oh drat you did write "sell Tesla stock" and I just glossed right over that whoops.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I went to the site (https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...e-motor-vehicle), but what are they actually asking for comments on? It sounds like they're asking for comments on whether they should ask for comments on the tax rules.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

waffle iron posted:

In the first couple paragraphs it says they're looking for comments on Rev. Proc. 2022-42. It doesn't spell it out, but that document is found at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/rp-22-42.pdf . It's the IRS policy that will implement the new EV tax credit sections of law.

I was confused because at the bottom, they say this:

quote:

Request for Comments:

Comments submitted in response to this notice will be summarized and/or included in the request for OMB approval. All comments will become a matter of public record. Comments are invited on: (a) whether the collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information shall have practical utility; (b) the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the collection of information; (c) ways to enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; (d) ways to minimize the burden of the collection of information on respondents, including through the use of automated collection techniques or other forms of information technology; and (e) estimates of capital or start-up costs and costs of operation, maintenance, and purchase of services to provide information.

Which just sounds like they're asking for approval to collect comments or something? Like it doesn't sound like they'd care if a bunch of musk fans complain about his death trap cars not being included in whatever tax credit.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Am I thinking of the wrong thing or did Elon Musk not do some product reveal on stage a few years ago of a purported amazing new robot that looked just like a human in a bodysuit and could dance and jump around just like a human in a bodysuit and had a bodysuit just like a human in a bodysuit ?

Did you see the reveal last year?

https://i.imgur.com/HPZYGSD.mp4

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

:twitter:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Also, funny how assholes like this focus on the narrative of people being a slave to medicines (and good health simply being a manner of people not taking good care of themselves), and never on the idea that, "Hey, maybe America is just a loving stressful place to live in for most people."

It's not all just America being a hellhole that gets more antidepressant prescriptions.

Korea, for example, is another capitalist hellhole where the people work way too much but they're on the low end of that graphic. They also have a significantly higher suicide rate.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Isn’t most gender affirming care for children just therapy telling them there’s nothing wrong with how they feel?

IDK how common prescription of puberty blockers is. I think most kids don’t get full-on hormone replacement therapy, just delay it until they decide to get hormone replacement.

That’s all beside the point anyway, the regret level for puberty blockers/hormone therapy is extremely small. 98% of kids on puberty blockers end up going through with hormone replacement therapy. And the regret rate in adult care is less than 1% which is like really low. The number of patients who desist treatment is higher, but the vast majority stop because of lack of support, family pressure, or discrimination and not because they don’t want treatment. [url= https://transequality.org/blog/get-the-facts-the-truth-about-transition-related-care-for-transgender-youth]This post[/url] is where I got those figures.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The real nazis are the enemies we made along the way

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Entropic posted:

The funniest / dumbest / saddest thing about the death sub, is that apparently it doesn't actually have a real window, just a video feed from an external camera.

So like... you could just lock the billionaires in the tube, lower like 20 feet down into the water, play them a pre-recorded video, and they'd never know the difference.

Nah it's got a small window (like a few feet or something) at the front, at least that's what it looks like from the pictures of the death trap.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Radio Paranoia posted:

Morbid curiosity made me look up that twitter account and boy, was it exactly what I expected. Expect Elon to care deeply about the plight of white South African farmers soon.

I’m pretty sure he’s already been very concerned with white south africans. He went crazy when the kill the boer song got in the news again.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

...! posted:

Yeah, he posted a link to "history of slavery" on Wikipedia so that people can see that slavery has always been a thing therefore American slavery wasn't as bad as woke liberals make it out to be

Wait I thought he posted it to demonstrate that actually Columbus coming to the Caribbean and enslaving the local population (and then genociding them) to gather gold wasn't that bad actually.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Steadiman posted:

I'm sure Thad and "his people" contributed a lot to inventing those platforms and building those cities

Yeah his ancestors "contributed" slave labor to build those cities

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

lmao starship isn't going to make life interplanetary.

we will never live on mars you dipshits

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

shyduck posted:

Neuralink posted an update showing the first patient controlling a mouse pointer with their mind to play a chess game. It does seem impressive but I honestly don't know if it's a milestone that's already been achieved in this field

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature04970

quote:

Article
Published: 13 July 2006
Neuronal ensemble control of prosthetic devices by a human with tetraplegia

so about 20 years now?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Thanks I didn’t actually read the paper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Is this an actual recall that requires people to stop using them, or do they just need another software update or trip to the dealer?

It's an actual recall needing physical work done. The cosmetic accelerator pedal trim can come off and get wedged in the wheel well, causing the pedal to be stuck at 100% throttle. This video shows the problem.

https://twitter.com/elaifresh/status/1779600432085819708