Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Probably the last One Piece thread? Let's go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Open Marriage Night posted:

Is there a thread for the One Piece card game? I’ve been having a lot of fun with it so far.

Idk if there is a thread for it but I've been playing it a bunch, it's super fun. My local store got prize support for their weekly tournaments so I'll have a place to play.
Unfortunately the supply is super low so you can't get a box for less than like $150-$160 right now.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

https://twitter.com/rm_5aled/status/1617000225671098370?s=46&t=BmX162zTavRs2axzqe1_QA

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Wapol was a bad villain imo in Drum Island but as a character I love him and I love his continued use, especially now that it’s so important.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

lmao at the usual poo poo rear end One Piece fans using this as another excuse to misgender Yamato, because "Oiran is exclusively used for FEMALES"

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

No Wave posted:

Truthfully I am not currently pumped up for Blackbeard vs Luffy because we still dont know either of their motivations or why they'd even be in conflict. They still don't have anything to fight over! I can't see any meaning in their fighting at the moment.

It's always nice to get confirmation that some of the posters in this thread literally do not read, or at least do not understand even a fraction of a fraction of the idea of "themes."

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Give me the McDonald's gang as various One Piece characters.

https://twitter.com/grantthethief/status/1646199191893426215?t=viL2XksWXYJDQjwXW-XsVw&s=19

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

https://twitter.com/OPcom_info/status/1656631197047586816?s=20

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

https://twitter.com/sparkleredpanda/status/1660190261425610752?s=46&t=kXAZ-Qb3z8RBvF6h7SysbQ
https://www.sakugabooru.com/data/2d4adc8e59c9796c284459e4481cb5c9.mp4

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 21, 2023

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

ZiegeDame posted:

This would make the total surface area of Onigashima 25% larger than Japan. Onigashima is one giant building, not the canyon dimension from DBZ.

Who cares

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Hyper-Realistic Whitebeard Trading Card isn't real and can't hurt you...

:piss:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Nephthys posted:

I still think it might be Lili's body at least. Imu's face and hair looks distinctly feminine in one panel right after Sabo shows up. Also Imu does have a habit of talking about themselves in the third person which leaves room for some ambiguity.

I thought that the monsters were just Imu's power too but the fact that there are 5 of them does suggest a link to Imu. They have to be somewhat independent enough to be shocked at Imu walking out in front of Cobra though.

It could just be that the Elder Stars are all zoans and Oda wants to obscure their abilities too I guess. In fact, I think you can see some awakened zoan clouds around a few of them.

They're wearing a veil. I thought it was long hair too until this panel. It still could be, but they are wearing a veil:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Imu might also be generating/controlling shadow demons in the shape of the humans who we know as the Gorosei, whereas these are their true forms. I think that would be less cool than having actual shadow demon fruits though, so I hope not

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Marluxia posted:

Geez you people. You're all overthinking it.

The Gorosei are real and both Imu and them are just shadowed so that we can get a proper surprise when someone fights them for real.

Kaido and Big Mom got the same treatment, are they shadow puppets of Imu too????

Oh yeah, it's 100% this, I just wanted to do some wanton speculation because the idea popped in my head while I was reading.

Guy A. Person posted:

hmmmm if you're talking about the lines emanating from the bottom of the panel, I feel like those are action lines, like perhaps Imu either looked up or got up suddenly due to the action (you see similar lines on the surrounding panels)
I meant all those white lines look to me like a veil, draped over their head. But I also see what you're saying and you're probably right.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Trailer or first clips tomorrow
https://twitter.com/onepiecenetflix/status/1669388313461915662?s=20

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Jose posted:

I'm going to watch it because I'm an idiot and it'll make oda happy

This. It looks fine (not good), will most likely end up being bad, but I'll watch it.
I also don't hate the Death Note adaptation they did though (Light is depicted as dumb piece of poo poo like he should be, and Misa is an actual character) so who am I to have an opinion.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh drat I just realized the anime is a handful of episodes away from The Drums of Liberation, holy poo poo

According to people calculating on Twitter episode 1070 should be the "Joy Boy... has returned!" ending scene, around the very end of July.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

They also revealed Gear 5 coming to the One Piece TCG, the cards look great. The manga version is gonna be worth so much money lol

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

tbp posted:

thinking about raizo is safe. that moment was so effective the first time around but it was amplified for me when we learned the backstory of the samurai. realizing how absurd it must have been for the minks to see their hope reignited after so much suffering, the dream of avenging oden, it's really so powerful

tbp posted:

i really am firmly of the opinion that wano is maybe the second best arc in the whole series. especially with a little distance i think it was just so insanely effective in so many different aspects. the oden flashback is the best in the series imo, everything from the pacing to the art to the plot beats, oda really delivered

100% agreed on both counts.
I've been reading One Piece since it premiered in Shonen Jump and "Raizo is safe," after everything else with Zou, was really the biggest moment of "wow, this is all connected and part of such a bigger story and world" to me. It's such a strong emotional moment and tells you SO much about Wano.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Jorenko posted:

I'll read the fanscans just to keep up with the discussion. But the fact that we still have fanscans in this day of free simulpub is very silly, and I personally think it would be far better for both the industry and the fandom in the long run if we fully shunned and ignored fanscans of anything with such luxury available.

Or, people who don't like the fanscans can just not read them and get off their high-horse (if they're on one) about not reading them.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

https://twitter.com/onepiecenetflix/status/1694871637647045042?s=20

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Tolth posted:

I honestly feel like you guys are just utterly determined to hate the live action. We have both the highest budget in history for a show like this, and Oda himself explicitly saying he endorses it.

Personally I will simply have faith in the author of hit manga "One Piece". The live action will be the best anime live adaptation ever and everyone will love it.

It's really crazy that you keep equating Big Budget = Good.
Also really crazy you think they would allow Oda to say (or publishing anything with him saying) anything explicitly bad (not "we worked on it to make it better!") about a project they are spending that much money on.

It seems like you're utterly determined to like the show no matter what.

Also let it be known I think the show looks fine (except Arlong who looks like total dogshit in both makeup and casting), but acting like "THEY SPENT A BUNCH OF MONEY ON IT IT'S GONNA BE SOOOOOOO GOOD, people are just hating on it to hate" is silly.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Arlong looks bad but in a charming way that is way better than if he was a bad CG man.

I could get over the horrible makeup if he was at least a big, wide, beefy dude, but he just looks like a guy in a tropical shirt they picked off the beach with some makeup on.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Eiba posted:

I think it's perfectly fine to be cautious. It looks good and I'm happy for the people experiencing pure hype, but I wouldn't blame people for not daring to hope just yet.

Arlong is fantastic by the way. I'd much rather have a cheap goofy Star Trek prosthetic that lets the actor emote, and lets the actor get a bunch of screen time without straining the budget even more with fancy effect shots that you'll quickly get used to either way. There's tradeoffs to everything, and the Arlong we've got is sinister and weird looking and that's all you really need. We'll see if the actor can pull off what he needs to for the character, but visually he's great.

He is not.
He looks bad, most of the normie opinions I have seen have said he looks bad, everyone unfamiliar with One Piece thinks he looks bad from the reactions I have seen.

It's ok if you like it, and I agree that I like using practical makeup over lovely CGI. But it looks like dog-doo-doo.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Because Arlong (and lots of other One Piece characters) doesn't translate to a non-cartoon medium, especially when you take away his towering physique.
He is silly looking enough as a manga character, and then when you try to do that in live action it looks like a person with a stick on their face covered in pink makeup wearing silly vampire teeth in a Hawaiin shirt, with a dumb-looking sword.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 25, 2023

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Julias posted:

Juat want to point out that this is lovely click bait that was also wrong, that was Hassan's tier list, not Matt Owen's.

No, it isn’t. It’s Matt’s.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Did I miss it (I'm on episode 4) or do they never actually say Helmeppo's name in the live action? I've only heard them refer to him as "my son" and "his son," etc.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

Did I miss it (I'm on episode 4) or do they never actually say Helmeppo's name in the live action? I've only heard them refer to him as "my son" and "his son," etc.

Update: Koby says it in this episode

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

They talk about having to hunt down the rest of Arlong's fishmen, it's an easy out for them to not have to spend CGI/Costuming on a future character and it also lets them have even less to explain when he makes a turn to be good because we didn't actually see him do any heinous poo poo.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

https://twitter.com/newworldartur/status/1698708920804471236?s=20

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Pirate Warriors 4 is not as good as Pirate Warriors 3 (the best Musou game), but it's still definitely funny if that's your thing.
Worth picking up for a couple bucks.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

tbp posted:

it is pretty astounding how poor media literacy is among a lot of shonen fans. it makes discussion in a lot of areas completely terrible, by and large they all seem to struggle with understanding anything about what they're reading beyond viewing it as an algebra problem where the story is just telling us which cartoon is stronger than the other

Yeah, I had someone yell at me because I said the marine sniper girl with the crush on Koby is "obviously" Akainu's daughter because "ODA HASN'T EXPLICITLY STATED IT SO IT ISN'T TRUE UNTIL HE DOES."

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Holy moly

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

alkanphel posted:

Gotta say that is a really cool chapter. Whatever lore dump we're gonna get in the future about the OP world and its past (Lost Century also) is going to be epic.

Hell, I'll take a flashback as long as Wano for this. I bet Oda is excited beyond belief to finally be able to tell this part of the story.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I get why folks would want to wait for TCB (though lately they aren’t much better than the early translation imo) but none of the pages were blurry for me and I reread the chapter on multiple devices/platforms using the cubari link as well as the original on opscans. Cubari’s UI is annoying but it shouldn’t be making the images blurry. But you do you. :)

They aren't really blurry, they're smeared. The linework gets very broken and smeared.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

tbp posted:

make sure ur computer is wearing a hazmat suit before clicking this but the translations good and its clean: https://ragnarokscanlation.com/manga/one-piece-engl/chapter-1096/p/1/

this is so loving grim

This site loads better
https://pewpiece.com/manga/onepiece-english/1069/

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Whatever Oda is planning it's going to hit like a god drat truck, awesome chapter again.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

papasyhotcakes posted:

To whoever asked a few pages back if the two kids we see Kuma helping appear afterwards someone may have found a match

:piss:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Latest SBS is out, not too much there but Oda did draw how Vegapunk washed his big head

He also revealed Bonnie's fruit name, Toshi Toshi no Mi, Age-Age Fruit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Julias posted:

I don't get it.

He read the message and then ignored it