Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Ultra Carp

Bad Purchase posted:

this should be the report post button

Bad Purchase posted:

astral? can you get on this please?

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Obnoxious sig is obnoxious!! User loses posting privileges for 1 day.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Don’t post with your signature on or whatever the hell that was. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

Knock it off with the obnoxious signature. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

So this is just going to be a regular thing, huh? User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Vim cut it out with the sig shit

Seth Pecksniff posted:

You've been asked multiple times not to turn your sig on. I recognize it's different elsewhere but stop doing it here. User loses posting privileges for 3 days.

Genesplicer posted:

Has been asked multiple times to turn that long signature off in GBS. User loses posting privileges for 1 week.

Fluffdaddy posted:

Stop posting with your extra annoying signature in GBS. The mods and IKs have asked you nicely.

So if you do it again, I will probe you for 2 months everytime you do it. Its not funny and makes other people's forum experience worse. I'll give you a week to think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
luckily, there is no copyright issue there as Bill Watterson accidentally released all his work into the public domain (see Watterson v. Calvin Peeing Stickers Incorporated)

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

Bad Purchase posted:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Cool. I'll get it. Thanks, OP.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Maybe it will be great, but I'm happy not knowing what Bill Watterson's views are in 2023. At the very least, he's definitely mad about smart phones.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Bad Purchase posted:

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
What would calvin be like on tik tok?

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
I’m curious as to how much Watterson will actually feature in the art, given the other collaborator is a caricature artist. Calvin and Hobbes is a master course in showing movement in still form. Go back and look at Hobbes pouncing on Calvin and driving him backwards. Watterson had a special talent for following movement lines without just doubling the moving part and drawing motion lines across it.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Maybe it will be great, but I'm happy not knowing what Bill Watterson's views are in 2023. At the very least, he's definitely mad about smart phones.

you should give him the benefit of the doubt instead of assuming that he's a bad person in some way with no reasoning whatsoever

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

MoonshineWilly posted:

I’m curious as to how much Watterson will actually feature in the art, given the other collaborator is a caricature artist. Calvin and Hobbes is a master course in showing movement in still form. Go back and look at Hobbes pouncing on Calvin and driving him backwards. Watterson had a special talent for following movement lines without just doubling the moving part and drawing motion lines across it.
Watterson is just an extremely skilled artist in general; his realistic dinosaurs and sci fi landscapes for spiff were always incredible and I hope we get to see more of his detailed watercolor stuff in this new thing

Also,

Bad Purchase posted:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

This is the guest shot he did for Pearls Before Swine.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

free hubcaps posted:

Watterson is just an extremely skilled artist in general; his realistic dinosaurs and sci fi landscapes for spiff were always incredible and I hope we get to see more of his detailed watercolor stuff in this new thing

This. I've always thought it would be cool to see a complete work in that style.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Bad Purchase posted:

I put in a request thread in the tech subforum

go there to show your support! But dont be an rear end in a top hat or astral may probate you and I certainly will

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

MoonshineWilly posted:

My essentially baseless speculation is that John Kascht is doing the characters, and Watterson is doing the backgrounds.
The publisher's website has a few sample pages from the book, e.g.:

And to me, the faces look pretty identical to Kascht's style, but it looks like he basically never does backgrounds, and the weird scientific instrument in the image above looks vaguely Spaceman-Spiff-like.
But who knows! I hope that the publisher puts out more information at some point, but maybe they just won't, that would be fitting.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
This sounds pretty cool, I don't read comic books but might pick this up for the novelty of it.
Wondering how Watterson will be about licensing considering his no tolerance stance on Calvin and Hobbes. I'd say that if it's any good they'll make a movie and I can just watch that but I wonder if he would allow it. Seems like he might have trouble with someone reinterpreting his work.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

AFewBricksShy posted:

This is the guest shot he did for Pearls Before Swine.

Given how reclusive he is, it's a miracle that this happened.

The story of putting it together is pretty funny too. As you can imagine, Bill Watterson is an extremely analog guy:

https://stephanpastis.wordpress.com...ll-he-just-did/

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Learning that Calvin's Dad was a self-insert of Watterson did a loving number on my brain. I really thought he was some Vonnegut-looking crotchety ancient motherfucker. Not some twee yuppie.

watterson was only 37 when he ended C&H FYI

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I seriously love that frame so much, I want a full-sized sticker of it for my street window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004
I've waited a long time to see Watterson draw tits so I hope adult means what I think it means.