Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Basically, being a homeless person with a million-dollar investment portfolio is good with money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
The obvious answer is to slow cook your clothes, and yourself

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

District Selectman posted:

hmm

If I do my laundry in the rice cooker, it'll wash and dry my clothes at once.

Now we're getting somewhere.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Haven't used my hot tub in a while. Think of the scale up efficiency vs. a regular slow cooker.

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 26, 2015

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Not as productive as I should be
I do my own washing and drying, but the ironing I pay for. I hate ironing.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

District Selectman posted:

Bad With Money: The obvious answer is to slow cook your clothes, and yourself

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

SpelledBackwards posted:

Haven't use my hot tub in a while. Think of the scale up efficiency vs. a regular slow cooker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaudUAHZinw

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
Every weekend, I hear an advertisement disguised as a financial show on 840AM here in Vegas. Some dude named Mike DiGregorio spends half an hour telling you about his Safe Money system, which you really need if you're getting close to retirement. The whole thing is packed with weasel words:
"Guaranteed returns of up to 14% or more!"
"Your gains are locked in."
"You pay me no fees."
"You will never participate in market losses/you will never lose money due to market losses."

He lays that last one on real thick, but is always sure to include "due to market losses," so you're obviously losing it somewhere else. What is this dude flogging?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Centripetal Horse posted:

Every weekend, I hear an advertisement disguised as a financial show on 840AM here in Vegas. Some dude named Mike DiGregorio spends half an hour telling you about his Safe Money system, which you really need if you're getting close to retirement. The whole thing is packed with weasel words:
"You pay me no fees."
"You will never participate in market losses/you will never lose money due to market losses."

He lays that last one on real thick, but is always sure to include "due to market losses," so you're obviously losing it somewhere else. What is this dude flogging?

Sounds like a ponzi scheme. On paper you're doing great until the jig is up and it turns out you have nothing and duder's gone awol.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bad with money: http://shakycode.com/post/119775920434/losing-it-all

Dude goes from 100K/year to homeless in the blink of an eye.

Jan 11, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

Making $100k/year, didn't have any emergency fund while driving a ridiculous sports car and living in a "posh" apartment. Hope he learned his financial lesson.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Making $100k/year, didn't have any emergency fund while driving a ridiculous sports car and living in a "posh" apartment. Hope he learned his financial lesson.

Reading the list of things he had all I could think is that a Glock 19 isn't very filling when you're hungry.

While we've considered that the decrease in fuel prices would trigger more bad with money that isn't true for 86% of people in the US. Fortunately 14% have increased unnecessary spending. That's about inline with what I thought it'd be. Also there's further information on increased earnings don't correlate to increased consumerism with 23% choosing to save/invest extra money.
http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/05/20/higher-incomes-loosely-linked-to-more-spending-according-to-jpmorgan-chase-study?int=998208

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

SpelledBackwards posted:

Haven't use my hot tub in a while. Think of the scale up efficiency vs. a regular slow cooker.

Spouse meat is tender + cheap

click here to find out more

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Devian666 posted:

Reading the list of things he had all I could think is that a Glock 19 isn't very filling when you're hungry.

To be fair though, if you read further, the glock actually saved him from a couple of muggers.

He was also lucky that it jammed when he put it to his head and pulled the trigger.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby

"You pay me no fees."

There is something very similar every weekend in the DC area. I think it's some kind of universal/whole life insurance poo poo.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

enraged_camel posted:

I love how he throws in a "Thanks Obama" at the beginning. Also, he's too proud to beg (but not too proud to display a panhandling sign in Starbucks), but has no problem stealing. He has friends willing to loan him a car, but nobody will let him couch-surf for a week? Why the gently caress would you stay on the streets if you have $2000 in the bank. Go rent a lovely weekly or monthly apartment. So you don't get rolled by other homeless dudes. Speak of, this poo poo didn't happen:

Some douche posted:

I was at my favorite park again laying by the waterfall when I was attacked by two young men while I was half-asleep. They started kicking me and punching me and I had no time to react with a physical response. I scrambled for my backpack which they were trying to take away from me and unzipped it and pulled out my Glock. One of them went off running while the other one pulled out a firearm and pointed it at me. It was either him or me and this guy was serious as a heart attack. I walked up to him and said, “If you’re going to shoot me, you better hope I don’t get back up”. Here we were eye to eye with firearms pointed at each other. At a moment’s notice either one of us could have been killed.
I bet what really happened is someone tried to grab his backpack and there was a scuffle. The cops responded quickly because it's a known high-crime area. They found the gun and questioned both parties. The end.

The whole thing reads like libertarian fan-fiction. It glosses over all the bad decisions the guy made, and instead blames things outside his control. And then he talks a lot about dignity and bootstraps, when he's totally dependent on the kindness of strangers. It's heartwarming that so many people helped him, but he seems to feel that he is owed their charity because he's a special snowflake.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Yea not a word of that is anywhere near believable lmao

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
He was making 100k a year, had roommate, on a 1.5k a month place... Where the gently caress was the rest of his money going?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

TLG James posted:

He was making 100k a year, had roommate, on a 1.5k a month place... Where the gently caress was the rest of his money going?

He spent enough time/money at Starbucks that they knew him there.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Cloks posted:

He spent enough time/money at Starbucks that they knew him there.

We've been neglecting Starbucks equity this whole time.

Who knew that 4-5 bucks a day, 4-5 times a week would lead to having a place to crash for 4 hours a day.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I'd say a large portion of that sound like bullshit. He sounds stupid for getting in that situation too. There were bad circumstances but he put himself there.

Jan 11, 2004

Chinaman7000 posted:

I'd say a large portion of that sound like bullshit. He sounds stupid for getting in that situation too. There were bad circumstances but he put himself there.

Right, like say for instance he had 6 months emergency funds saved up, which is an entirely reasonable thing for a six figure earner to do, he would have never been homeless at all.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Chinaman7000 posted:

I thought the whole point of a glock was that it always, always went bang when you pulled the trigger.

I believed that story about as much as you should believe I have a 12" penis.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

spog posted:

I thought the whole point of a glock was that it always, always went bang when you pulled the trigger.

I believed that story about as much as you should believe I have a 12" penis.

Assuming he actually earned that much and was stupid enough to have that series of events follow, it isn't unthinkable that he left he safety on. Or perhaps it was a dud bullet.

Both of those things are generally more believable than much of his story.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

evilmiera posted:

And your problem is you aren't kickstarting enough!

I'm sure I'll probably be able to make rent next month. Maybe.

Maybe you can find me a new project to support to change that :)

evilmiera posted:

Well, I'd love to pledge more, especially to pitches that really appeal to me. But what with having pledged so much already these last few months, most of my reserves are gone, and I have to worry about making money again for the next month at the very least.

I'd say I could start pledging properly again sometime after Christmas, where most of my funds will hopefully be spent getting presents/donating to worthy causes.

evilmiera posted:

Man, you can't have me cancel my pledges! These people need me! Can't you see that ? :smith: They just want my support, I'm not a bad guy. I just wanna spend inordinate amounts of money on wild chances at seeing my childhood again :(

In all seriousness, I usually go over my economy well enough in advance that I'll know how much I can afford to lose each month. Usually. Worst case scenario I'll just have to try and convince everyone that owes me money that random game developers they've never heard of needs the cash more than they do.

Edit: vvvv Actually what's probably going to happen is I'll use the money to back something like what SA did last year, supporting a Haitian school and donating to Japan after that earthquake struck. I'm only partially serious when I say I'm addicted to Kickstarting. Partially.

evilmiera posted:

Wish I could, I really do. But I'm still in a position where I'm trying to figure out how to get enough cash for the electric bill, so that's going to have to wait.

evilmiera posted:

Just the first image alone made me back that. This is going to be one of those months where I wonder where all my money went again, isn't it? :(

evilmiera posted:

Dangit, I can't afford another kickstarter this or the next month. I'd really love to fund this :(

evilmiera posted:

I hope not! Mostly because I've no money to spend on one in the near future :( I can't throw even half as much money at a kickstarter until at least 2 months from now!

evilmiera posted:

I backed despite having literally no money in my account and knowing that next month is going to be hell on my bills. This needs to be made for sure.

Edit:Oh, and despite never getting past the first stage in the first game.

evilmiera posted:

141 for me, not counting current projects. I MAY have a problem.

And the only solution is to keep on backin'

evilmiera posted:

Oh great. I can barely afford food this month and now there's yet another kickstarter I have to back with a high amount of money? Let's just hope whatever Obsidian has cooking next won't be up in the next few months then :ohdear:

evilmiera posted:

Good thing this one runs out next month, I was completely out of funds until then. Hoping everyone else gives this one a few bucks at least.

evilmiera posted:

You guys can't keep doing this to me this'll mean I can't eat next month stop posting great kickstarters :(

evilmiera posted:

In for another 75 bucks. That makes a total of 225 for current kickstarters. Now all we need is the Simon the Sorcerer kickstarter and I'm set for at least 300 bucks :(

evilmiera posted:

Steam used to be where I spent most of my money. On other people, via gifts.

I've at least managed to steer my gifting in a more productive manner. (Even tho those people I gifted are still awesome people who deserved gifting).

evilmiera posted:

I've beaten myself up several times in the past few years on bad business decisions I've made. Not in that I've backed kickstarters too much at too high a tier, but that I wasn't making enough money to back even more.

If only I was some cool rich person who could spend money on his childhood dreams instead of a moderately poor person doing the same despite it being a bad idea :saddowns:

evilmiera posted:

165.... collected. 81 uncollected. 8 current.

Only a little problem, I'm sure.

evilmiera posted:

Still, I can't not back this. Which my wallet considers a real shame, since I've already backed so much these past few months.

evilmiera posted:

Glad I was told of this early on. I'll probably never play it but it deserved my money.

evilmiera posted:

Putting money into that even tho I've no interest at all in racing games.

evilmiera posted:

Perfect timing, I'll be coming into my tax money just a few days on from that, and a lot of other kickstarters I've pledged to will have been finished a few weeks into it. Ready with 200 dollars set aside just for that.

evilmiera posted:

Welp, that's got me at about 250 dollars in pledges for the coming 31 days. Why're all these cool kickstarters appearing at the same time? :(

evilmiera posted:

My problem is that I don't have enough money to kickstart more cool games. I can quit whenever I want! Get off my back, and get on backing.

evilmiera posted:

Just ran out of money from helping kickstart Formula Fusion today. And I had to cancel a pledge for another kickstarter I really liked because of it. Luckily my paycheck comes in 3 days or I'd be even more boned than I am now.

Luckily all my other kickstarters collect in June, when my tax money comes in.

I don't have a problem shut up :saddowns:

evilmiera posted:

It was only partially kickstarter's fault. Had a lot of sudden unexpected expenditures, plus a few expenditures I could've lived without but went for anyway. Plus a big party for a friend of mine's 30th birthday. It all added up.
Investing in hypothetical games may be bad with money.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

People like him really tempt me to put up a "send me on a dream vacation!!" kickstarter.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

quote:

Steam used to be where I spent most of my money. On other people, via gifts.

Maybe I'm just a greedy rear end in a top hat but it seems weird to spend most of your money on video games for other people.

Edit: Oh my god I just noticed all of those are the same person

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TLG James posted:

He said he was an independent contractor, so if the story isn't fabricated whole cloth I'm guessing he made 100k in a year--singular--and being a Captain of Industry he had to immediately invest it in real estate and car equity, unlike those shiftless poors who get a windfall and blow it all on fancy houses and cars they can't afford.

last laugh
Feb 11, 2004

NOOOTHING!

Gabriel Pope posted:

He said he was an independent contractor, so if the story isn't fabricated whole cloth I'm guessing he made 100k in a year--singular--and being a Captain of Industry he had to immediately invest it in real estate and car equity, unlike those shiftless poors who get a windfall and blow it all on fancy houses and cars they can't afford.

They also foreclosed on his property at lightning fast pace it would seem. I've read it takes 6 months minimum, and in 2008/9 quite a bit longer. Most utilities let you pay with a CC as well.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

TLG James posted:

I think you misread that. He had the side place that was a 1.5k a month place, and then a luxury apartment he lived in alone.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

hitachi posted:

There is something very similar every weekend in the DC area. I think it's some kind of universal/whole life insurance poo poo.

Hm. I wonder if that's it.

last laugh posted:

They also foreclosed on his property at lightning fast pace it would seem. I've read it takes 6 months minimum, and in 2008/9 quite a bit longer. Most utilities let you pay with a CC as well.

A friend of mine and his wife lived in their home for over two years after they stopped paying for it. I didn't get the exact foreclosure timing in that article, but it sure did seem fast.

Also: “If you’re going to shoot me, you better hope I don’t get back up”

Edit: I'd be embarrassed to type that line, even if I'd really said it.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

"If you’re going to shoot me, you better hope I don’t get back up”

There's no way you get to the end of that sentence without your mouth exiting the back of your skull.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

When is car equity too much equity? From The Onion:
Toyota Recalls 1993 Camry Due To Fact That Owners Really Should Have Bought Something New By Now

quote:

TOKYO—Saying it was simply time for drivers to move on, Toyota Motor Corp. issued a recall of its entire 1993 Camry model line Wednesday due to the fact that its owners really should have bought something new by now. “We understand that the 1993 Camry was tremendously dependable, but, honestly, there’s just no excuse for driving a 22-year-old car at this point,” said Toyota spokesman Haruki Kinoshita, adding that, with all the advances in automotive technology that have taken place, no one really had any business driving a vehicle for more than two decades. “We’re not saying you have to buy a new 2015 Camry or splurge on a flashy new hybrid, or even that your new car has to be a Toyota at all. But the bottom line is that you need to start fresh, however you choose to do so.” While Toyota is reportedly confining its recall to the 1993 Camry, it also issued a warning to owners of 1994 to 1998 models alerting them to the fact that they were really starting to push it.

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 25, 2015

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Aliquid posted:

People like him really tempt me to put up a "send me on a dream vacation!!" kickstarter.

I have a friend who did a similar thing recently and raised enough money. In part it's to visit a small fan base but it's a good with money way to go on holiday.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

A friend of mine and his wife lived in their home for over two years after they stopped paying for it. I didn't get the exact foreclosure timing in that article, but it sure did seem fast.

Tell their BWM story. I bet it's juicy. You have to be living well beyond your means to get foreclosed on.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

SpelledBackwards posted:

Bart: So I suppose that's a hillbilly jacuzzi.
Homer: Yep, that's where they cook up their vittles.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Devian666 posted:

I have a friend who did a similar thing recently and raised enough money. In part it's to visit a small fan base but it's a good with money way to go on holiday.

Is this that goth chick and if so that is pretty embarrassing; both her putting it out there and for the people that agreed to pay for it.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Tamarillo posted:

Is this that goth chick and if so that is pretty embarrassing; both her putting it out there and for the people that agreed to pay for it.

Yes.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Link plz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/get-a-goth-to-bats-day-at-disneyland--2#/story

• Locked thread