Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Harrow posted:

Caps out at a quarter heart, I'm pretty sure. Everything does a minimum of 1 damage no matter how good your armor is.

Meanwhile, I'm reasonably sure enemies don't have armor at all. Your attacks either don't do damage (like non-rock-breaking weapons on the mini-Talus guys) or they do. I could be wrong about that but wearing the Champion's Tunic shows that if my weapon does damage, it always does damage equal to its attack value (not counting things like damage buffs on me or critical hits).

The only other real exception is that guardian/ancient weapons do bonus damage to guardians. And fire/ice weapons or arrows can instantly kill or do massively increased damage against something with the opposite element.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zore posted:

The only other real exception is that guardian/ancient weapons do bonus damage to guardians. And fire/ice weapons or arrows can instantly kill or do massively increased damage against something with the opposite element.

Yeah, the fire/ice instant kills are amazing and make me glad I'd horded plenty of fire and ice arrows by the time I started going to really cold and hot places.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
memory #9 shows just why this is the best zelda game

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Is that the one where Zelda tells Link to eat the frog?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

a cartoon duck posted:

Is that the one where Zelda tells Link to eat the frog?

yes, it is.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, that's easily the best cutscene in the game.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I'm glad that for Breath of the Wild Nintendo decided, hey maybe we should make Zelda an actual character this time, for the first time in thirty years.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

a cartoon duck posted:

I'm glad that for Breath of the Wild Nintendo decided, hey maybe we should make Zelda an actual character this time, for the first time in thirty years.

Are you saying Tetra or the spirit track or Skyward sword versions weren't?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

The only recent game(past 10 years) she hasn't been was LBW.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Tetra is one of those cases where Zelda is much more interesting when she is actively being not Zelda and gets kidnapped the literal minute she turns into a princess, and in Skyward Sword she didn't leave much of an impression on me but that's probably not her fault when she's in the same game as Groose.

Never played any of the handhelds so maybe Spirit Tracks Zelda is cool and I'm talking out of my rear end.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Too bad her character in BOTW is mostly just whining a lot with really bad voice acting.

I would be more endeared to her if there were more memories like the frog one.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

parallelodad posted:

Are you saying Tetra or the spirit track or Skyward sword versions weren't?

Tetra was A Character With Actual Characterization for roughly one half of one game before they shoved her in an underground box for the second half of that game, and then had her kidnapped in the first 5 minutes of the game and rescued in the last 5 minutes for the sequel. I remain somewhat salty about that fact, given that she was also basically the first Zelda to have any characterization that wasn't fully pegged at "lawful good" and (almost) wasn't just like "oh I guess I'm the reincarnation of Zelda welp okay"

which is sort of amusing, given that this version of zelda was also on a bit of a "gently caress destiny" kick and the end result was the death of nearly everyone she loved and 100 years of darkness so I guess the moral of the story is "if you're born as the reincarnation of the avatar of a goddess suck it up buttercup, you don't get to choose to be a scientist instead"

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

which is sort of amusing, given that this version of zelda was also on a bit of a "gently caress destiny" kick and the end result was the death of nearly everyone she loved and 100 years of darkness so I guess the moral of the story is "if you're born as the reincarnation of the avatar of a goddess suck it up buttercup, you don't get to choose to be a scientist instead"

The ending made me retroactively hate the story - I was convinced they were building up towards Zelda being Courage instead of Wisdom with all of the destiny/her and link's powers aren't working memories. The way it ends as is is just so much of a gently caress you to Zelda. I'm still fairly sure they meant to do the role reversal and just didn't finish. I think i've posted twice now at a little more length of this but it doesn't seem to have registered with anyone else?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I feel the opposite reading is true, since the game showed in memory sequences as well as the King's and Zelda's diaries that she did work her rear end off to unlock her magic powers to no avail and only got to look at ancient technology in her spare time until she was forbidden even doing that. There's also this really unsubtle analogy about silent princess flowers only being able to grow and prosper in the wild and just withering and dying in controlled domestic conditions, so my impression was we're supposed to think things wouldn't have ended up as shittily if Zelda could've just become an engineering princess and figure out how to update the guardians' anti-Ganon firewalls or whatever.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
hosed up it's called Revali's Gale and not Roc's Feather

I feel like I fought Windblight Ganon wrong. Like I just ran up to him when he was the at ground level and slapped him around a couple of times with the master sword and then he died. He had the little floating thingies but they only shot me once and then sucked and died

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

the constellation shrine was stupid bullshit, I spent like 20 minutes trying to work out how to arrange the balls in the right pattern to match up to the constellation stars
That was my first try but I realized it wasn't really possible. I figured it out in a min though. Feel bad for you ppl

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

idk she seems like she clearly wanted to gain the power to seal away the darkness, she just used her scholarly pursuits to mask her lack of progress in doing so

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

I feel the opposite reading is true, since the game showed in memory sequences as well as the King's and Zelda's diaries that she did work her rear end off to unlock her magic powers to no avail and only got to look at ancient technology in her spare time until she was forbidden even doing that. There's also this really unsubtle analogy about silent princess flowers only being able to grow and prosper in the wild and just withering and dying in controlled domestic conditions, so my impression was we're supposed to think things wouldn't have ended up as shittily if Zelda could've just become an engineering princess and figure out how to update the guardians' anti-Ganon firewalls or whatever.

I haven't beaten the game yet, but yeah my impression is that poo poo partially went south because of how hard they tried to follow the prophecy to a t and how they thought Zelda "should" fit into that.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Nephzinho posted:

The ending made me retroactively hate the story - I was convinced they were building up towards Zelda being Courage instead of Wisdom with all of the destiny/her and link's powers aren't working memories. The way it ends as is is just so much of a gently caress you to Zelda. I'm still fairly sure they meant to do the role reversal and just didn't finish. I think i've posted twice now at a little more length of this but it doesn't seem to have registered with anyone else?

I don't know where you got that impression since the whole thing is Link perfectly resonated with the Master Sword and had no major issues with his role in things while she hated her role and therefore couldn't stand Link at first.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
nothing is more wonderful than dropping a bomb on a trash mob while paragliding and it hits that explosive barrel just right and now there's just one very sad half dead giant moblin stumbling over to pick up his club but you just keep on rolling to the next hilltop

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

a cartoon duck posted:

I don't know where you got that impression since the whole thing is Link perfectly resonated with the Master Sword and had no major issues with his role in things while she hated her role and therefore couldn't stand Link at first.

The memory of them walking on the riverbank includes Zelda asking Link how proficient he is with that sword and asks if he's heard its voice yet. Coupled with another memory talking about the legend that the chosen hero can hear a voice from the sword, and that Zelda could hear its voice...

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
PSA: wanna run at max speed forever? It requires a bit of crab claw, but if you mash horse whistle and sprint, you can run without using stamina

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

a cartoon duck posted:

dragon enthusiast posted:

idk she seems like she clearly wanted to gain the power to seal away the darkness, she just used her scholarly pursuits to mask her lack of progress in doing so

It's true that she definitely worked her rear end off for something close to a decade+ trying to get the powers, but her resentfulness over Link being able to "step into" his destined role so easily and the fact that it only actually clicked for her as a limit break sort of desperation move implies that either 1. she was consciously or subconcsiously resisting the role she had been forced into somehow, which is kind of supported by how much she legitimately was enjoying the science stuff in some of those cutscenes and how resentful she got about the destiny-related stuff, or 2. hylia is just a loving dick who locks people in statues and lets ganon gently caress the world for 100 years for no other reason than "because she can" obviously which of those is actually the case is left as an interpretive exercise for the player

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kashuno posted:

PSA: wanna run at max speed forever? It requires a bit of crab claw, but if you mash horse whistle and sprint, you can run without using stamina

False. You run while gaining stamina.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

It's true that she definitely worked her rear end off for something close to a decade+ trying to get the powers, but her resentfulness over Link being able to "step into" his destined role so easily and the fact that it only actually clicked for her as a limit break sort of desperation move implies that either 1. she was consciously or subconcsiously resisting the role she had been forced into somehow, which is kind of supported by how much she legitimately was enjoying the science stuff in some of those cutscenes and how resentful she got about the destiny-related stuff, or 2. hylia is just a loving dick who locks people in statues and lets ganon gently caress the world for 100 years for no other reason than "because she can" obviously which of those is actually the case is left as an interpretive exercise for the player

Don't think Link stepped into the role easily - yeah he was good with a sword after a lifetime of training but he wasn't synced with the Master Sword. He never spoke with it during the entire game, even though Zelda did at least twice. Memories specifically pointed to him not hearing it and the hero should be able to. Link gets relayed its message from the Deku Tree. Likewise, Zelda's power finally activates in a moment of Courage when she steps in front of Link after a lifetime spent praying to a goddess she couldn't hear. Rewatch the memories from the POV of role reversal between Zelda/Link.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Kashuno posted:

Di-dink
"Your horse could not hear your whistle..."

Di-dink

Di-dink

Di-dink

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Nephzinho posted:

Don't think Link stepped into the role easily - yeah he was good with a sword after a lifetime of training but he wasn't synced with the Master Sword. He never spoke with it during the entire game, even though Zelda did at least twice. Memories specifically pointed to him not hearing it and the hero should be able to. Link gets relayed its message from the Deku Tree. Likewise, Zelda's power finally activates in a moment of Courage when she steps in front of Link after a lifetime spent praying to a goddess she couldn't hear. Rewatch the memories from the POV of role reversal between Zelda/Link.

The hero's soul learned better than to listen to the sword after the first time

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Nephzinho posted:

Lol if you don't think not hearing Fi talk to you for the entire game wasn't an intentional thing after so many complained about her in Skyward Sword, and I'm glad of it

But as to the "ease of stepping into the role", Zelda's journal does talk about it being stressful for Link, but (without having it open in front of me) I seem to recall that the issue for Link was more "people expect a lot out of him and meeting those expectations is stressful", not "people expect a lot out of him and he was totally unable to meet those expectations". He was working just as hard as Zelda but it was working out for him instead of being completely fruitless.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Lol if you don't think not hearing Fi talk to you for the entire game wasn't an intentional thing after so many complained about her in Skyward Sword, and I'm glad of it

But as to the "ease of stepping into the role", Zelda's journal does talk about it being stressful for Link, but (without having it open in front of me) I seem to recall that the issue for Link was more "people expect a lot out of him and meeting those expectations is stressful", not "people expect a lot out of him and he was totally unable to meet those expectations". He was working just as hard as Zelda but it was working out for him instead of being completely fruitless.

That was an entirely different game, why does Fi matter here? I'm talking specifically about BOTW Link and Zelda role swapping. The sword talked to Zelda in 2 different cutscenes and it was referenced as a sign of the chosen hero. When the sword is pulled out in this game it is conspicuously quiet as its message is relayed through the Deku Tree. Would've been easy to have it talk if it could have.

It was working out for him in that he looked the part and was fine with a sword, but after opening up to her and her realizing that he wasn't connecting with the sword in the same way she couldn't connect with her own power, that knighting ceremony was just as much for him as for her to try to jumpstart things.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Nephzinho posted:

The only character who exhibits any explicit connection to the Triforce in the whole game is Zelda, so you could just as well read the story as saying Zelda possesses the power of the completed Triforce, but she could only awaken it when she had need of all three parts.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

How do I get rich fast? Got around 3500 and I just found the fourth Great Fairy, who needs 10K. I need money fast because the spoopy skeleton outfit is also tempting me.

Grab the spoopy skeleton outfit which you can already afford for 3500 and then just don't sweat the 10k fairy because are you even going to upgrade all your armor to 4-star anyways?

Treat it like a super long term retirement goal.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
while we're on story beats anybody else find it interesting how the legends basically don't mention the triforce by name anywhere in the game, and rather than talk the primary characters as a fated trio, the reincarnation myth as passed down in botw instead present them as a primal evil and the two destined to stop it

ganon can barely even be described as human in this game which was kinda cool

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Also I am pretty sure that Link got the final memory from the Master Sword itself and being connected with it and all that since it got the same memory filter at the start as all Link's own memories do.

I think you're just kinda misinterpreting what's already there. Zelda's story is definitely about being forced into a role she doesn't fit while thriving in another, but it's just about everyone expecting her to be a magical princess when she has a gift for scholarly pursuits rather than the whole courage/wisdom thing since the game barely cares about the Triforce trifecta this time around.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zore posted:

Skyward Sword is a great game.

Breath of the Wild is alsoa great game.

:shrug:

The only bad Zeldas are LttP and LBW.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

a cartoon duck posted:

I think you're just kinda misinterpreting what's already there. Zelda's story is definitely about being forced into a role she doesn't fit while thriving in another, but it's just about everyone expecting her to be a magical princess when she has a gift for scholarly pursuits rather than the whole courage/wisdom thing since the game barely cares about the Triforce trifecta this time around.

Then why specifically cast doubt on Link's inability to connect with the Master Sword while specifically bringing up that the hero is supposed to hear its voice and showing Zelda do so? Why have Link spend the entire game hearing the Goddess when he prays at the statues for upgrades throughout the game while every cutscene is about Zelda being unable to do it?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
GAMEPLAY CHAT:

In Divine Beast Vah Naboris, I totally skipped an entire item-management puzzle by using Revali's Gale to do a Falco Jump over the fence. It was awesome.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Nephzinho posted:

That was an entirely different game, why does Fi matter here? I'm talking specifically about BOTW Link and Zelda role swapping. The sword talked to Zelda in 2 different cutscenes and it was referenced as a sign of the chosen hero. When the sword is pulled out in this game it is conspicuously quiet as its message is relayed through the Deku Tree. Would've been easy to have it talk if it could have.

I mean from a meta, developer PoV of "things people complained about in the last game"-- if I was developing a game where everyone had complained about the sword talking in the last iteration of the game, having the subtle "hey look the sword's talking to everyone except you" would absolutely be something I worked in for the pure hell of it. Your last incarnation told Fi to shut the hell up one too many times. I may be wrong, but I'm headcanoning it and you can't stop me :colbert:

Nephzinho posted:

It was working out for him in that he looked the part and was fine with a sword, but after opening up to her and her realizing that he wasn't connecting with the sword in the same way she couldn't connect with her own power, that knighting ceremony was just as much for him as for her to try to jumpstart things.

I guess, maybe? I'd have to go back and read that diary entry again, but it really felt overall like the entire point was even if it was a lot of work for both of them, the thrust of the plotline was Link having success in a far more significant fashion than Zelda was.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

Yeah its really all 100% the King's fault. He's a poo poo dad.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Nephzinho posted:

Then why specifically cast doubt on Link's inability to connect with the Master Sword while specifically bringing up that the hero is supposed to hear its voice and showing Zelda do so? Why have Link spend the entire game hearing the Goddess when he prays at the statues for upgrades throughout the game while every cutscene is about Zelda being unable to do it?

Because Zelda is projecting hard on Link, and Link hears all sorts of supernatural poo poo like that sealed god in Hateno that nobody else can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
When is the king not a poo poo dad in a Zelda game?

Even boat dad does some questionable poo poo while alive.