Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Flavahbeast posted:

What changes after the first day?
All the motivated and competent people get their tokens the first evening and stop queueing until the next week.

I mean it's not everyone, but it's still a noticeable decline in competency and increase in queue times as the week goes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Was... was that a monkey's island reference?? :stare:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Dr Pepper posted:

Nah it's the former, this is brought up if you do the Sahagin Beast Tribe quests.

Random fact: The treaty with the Kobolds was actually signed because the Sahagin had summoned Leviathan and used it to wipe out a village and take their current spawning grounds.

Limsa Lominsa is honestly barely held together, I think the only thing keeping the majority of the pirates in the country under control is the fact that they can play privateer with Garlean ships.

Fair enough. Faulty memory then.

I like that Lima Lomina and Ul'dah are both portrayed in a pretty negative light at times, and wish Gridania had more to it than being lawful good tree huggers. They're kind of insufferable.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Flavahbeast posted:

What changes after the first day?

Its the Dun Scaith effect. All the reasonably skilled people get their poo poo done in the first few days, by the weekend its only the shitters who can barely clear left trying to get their weekly loot before the reset.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
They'll always cycle back around to it not being 100% on the beast tribes that we have to deal with primals. That's the only way the beast tribe quests can work. Plus it reminds us why the Garleans are the bad guys even outside of their world conquest. Or Gaius at least. He wanted to genocide the poor guys.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Obligatum VII posted:

It totally does.

And I hope Omega works out this whole "heroes" thing right at the end when we inevitably fight it and applies it to itself and suddenly starts pulling out straight up limit breaks and stuff.

And then Omega becomes a scion by reviving Minfilia from Hydalyn's aether because we need more of everyone's favourite

nuru posted:

The odds of O4 Savage having an extra phase/form that O4N lacks is probably 90 percent.

Don't they explicitly write the fights for savage and then destine them by removing stuff for normal?

Ferrinus posted:

With a 2.5 GCD you don't need a bridge at all, since B4 F3 Flare Flare is 14.5 seconds already. If we add 210*6 = 1260 potency and 3s for Thunder 4, we've got a F2-less rotation that lasts 17.5 seconds (just long enough to refresh it, more or less) and deals 302.4 pps.

Meanwhile, if we just replace a single F2 with a T4 in the long rotation, we get... 300.3 pps, which I guess means that a single F2 is worth it on 7 enemies and beyond..? I think you're right in principle.

Right, the bridge specifically was for 2.0 GCD but I forgot the double flare eats one, my brain is still stuck on single flare

Zaphod42 posted:

Anybody think its weird one of the new bosses names was "Alte Roight" ?? Probably just a silly coincedence since it sounds like it comes from another language.

But I can't help but think, our army of catgirlrs and potatoes will triumph over the alt right :911:

I thought this too and while someone is making the joke it's probably the people who made ffv where that guy first showed up

Fridurmus posted:

I'm interested in picking up Bard after spending all of ARR, HW, and now SB on tanks (DRK and PLD both at 70 feels nice). What's a good basic rundown I can read for when I start reaching the parts where it matters?

e: ^^^ why isn't it a tank?

Can't have a tank bouncing around, they need to be in a predictable spot

Cythereal posted:

With diving now in the game, I'm looking forward to the FFX tier or expansion.

I'm in for blitzball

Minrad posted:

We may still get an FF7 dungeon. There's an Imperial ship (submarine?) labeled on the southeast of the Yanxia map, and going to scavenge a scuttled Garlean submarine full of more of their experiments would be an awesome way to have a tribute to the Gelnika.

I mean a dungeon in the current expansion has several ff7 references from garlemald so

kirbysuperstar posted:

Hoary Boulder: It's all because of that &$*! pizza!

You know the main city of Garlemald is going to be Midgar right

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sinteres posted:

Fair enough. Faulty memory then.

I like that Lima Lomina and Ul'dah are both portrayed in a pretty negative light at times, and wish Gridania had more to it than being lawful good tree huggers. They're kind of insufferable.

I mean Gridania is still kinda xenophobic on top of being racist against Duskwights, so definitely not perfect. It doesn't really make up for them being boring though.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Obligatum VII posted:

It totally does.

And I hope Omega works out this whole "heroes" thing right at the end when we inevitably fight it and applies it to itself and suddenly starts pulling out straight up limit breaks and stuff.

O12 has no threat table and just melees the healers to death at the start of the fight

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

dogsicle posted:

I mean Gridania is still kinda xenophobic on top of being racist against Duskwights, so definitely not perfect. It doesn't really make up for them being boring though.
Also they exist solely at the whims of misanthropic elemental lords, and were basically responsible for most of the Ala Mighan refugee problem by refusing to help or host them and shoving them into the desert to let Ul'dah handle it. It doesn't come up as often as the other two city states but they're plenty hosed up in their own ways.

Asimo fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 6, 2017

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Flavahbeast posted:

O12 has no threat table and just melees the healers to death at the start of the fight

Except he has no imagination so all you have to do to trick him is put a tank in the healer tile.

This will have to be a savage only mechanic because people have trouble with recognizing their own role symbol.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I guarantee you a dungeon we get this patch season will be the Fire Ship from FF5

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

dogsicle posted:

Fair point about the xenophobia. I forget about that because it's not highlighted much outside of class quests from what I can recall.

Asimo posted:

Also the exist solely at the whims of misanthropic elemental lords, and were basically responsible for most of the Ala Mighan refugee problem by refusing to help or host them and shoving them into the desert to let Ul'dah handle it. It doesn't come up as often as the other two city states but they're plenty hosed up in their own ways.

I feel like their reverence for nature and the elements is presented as canonically good though, or close to it. Preserving the land is pretty much the whole point of the Scions, though in their case it's more of a big picture thing about the planet and the star than about elementals in a specific area. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the connection elementals have with the land.

Edit: Now that I think on it, I guess the world of the Warriors of Darkness is a bit of a cautionary tale about putting abstract concepts ahead of humanity though.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 6, 2017

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I guarantee you a dungeon we get this patch season will be the Fire Ship from FF5

Could be troublesome since the boss of that is already a boss in this game.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Sinteres posted:

I feel like their reverence for nature and the elements is presented as canonically good though, or close to it. Preserving the land is pretty much the whole point of the Scions, though in their case it's more of a big picture thing about the planet and the star than about elementals in a specific area. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the connection elementals have with the land.

Edit: Now that I think on it, I guess the world of the Warriors of Darkness is a bit of a cautionary tale about putting abstract concepts ahead of humanity though.
There's some of that, but the elementals in Gridania are... distant and inuhuman and sort of really only care about the land and don't give a drat whether the residents live or die. Heck, if dying would be better they'll go and kill them all. After Ampador got wrecked the survivors had to hide in underground cities to avoid the forest actively hunting them. :v: The Padjali showing up is a big part of why Gridiania even exists at all, since they're the only ones who can actually communicate with them.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Asimo posted:

Also the exist solely at the whims of misanthropic elemental lords, and were basically responsible for most of the Ala Mighan refugee problem by refusing to help or host them and shoving them into the desert to let Ul'dah handle it. It doesn't come up as often as the other two city states but they're plenty hosed up in their own ways.

Yeah, Gridania's frictions are much more subdued but they're there. Duskwights have been mentioned but there's also the Miqo'te population and the troublesome Coeurlclaws. Hell, there's even a delivery moogle quest with the latter, where a catgirl is hoping to convince her sister to run away with her to Ul'dah. The Coeurlclaws exist because Gridanian society is ultimately presided over by the Elementals, and everyone treads super carefully because of that, leading to misunderstandings and lots of people who are worse off because of it. Sure, it beats not having a home but it's not without its downsides.

Sinteres posted:

It's a mix. Essentially, if they piss of the Elementals, the forest will reject them. It did so to the Ixals in the past and the Gelmorrans lived underground rather than incur their wrath. Getting along with the Elementals means doing whatever they ask you to. They find a balance with the demands placed upon them and usually don't try to push boundaries because it risks loving up their entire civilization. This comes up as an underlying story point in the leatherworker quests. They have to make do with what little material they can get their hands on because the city doesn't let hunters hunt too much. It's not that the Elementals have set a quota or anything, but the fear that they will be punished if they push too hard.

They revere nature because they're terrified of what happens if they don't.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

SirPhoebos posted:

The only FF7 dungeon reference I want is to have the option of skipping one pull by running up a stairwell for ten minutes.

Only if we get an NPC who complains as much as Barrett did. That would make it all worth it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Argas posted:

It's a mix. Essentially, if they piss of the Elementals, the forest will reject them. It did so to the Ixals in the past and the Gelmorrans lived underground rather than incur their wrath. Getting along with the Elementals means doing whatever they ask you to. They find a balance with the demands placed upon them and usually don't try to push boundaries because it risks loving up their entire civilization. This comes up as an underlying story point in the leatherworker quests. They have to make do with what little material they can get their hands on because the city doesn't let hunters hunt too much. It's not that the Elementals have set a quota or anything, but the fear that they will be punished if they push too hard.

They revere nature because they're terrified of what happens if they don't.

This is also why Poaching gets a death sentence in Gridania.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't remember any of this stuff about Gridania.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Did... did I just get an explanation for why I see AOE markers?? :stonk:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

FisheyStix posted:

Did... did I just get an explanation for why I see AOE markers?? :stonk:

This is literally your superpower. It makes you one of the strongest people in the world.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

Clarste posted:

It comes up like once in the AAR story. But it's what's going on in the area near the conjurer trainer's cave with the person complaining that someone is 'only twelve summers old', and the Conjurer is just 'Sorry, but it's the will of the forest'

We don't really know what's happening to the mysterious twelve-year-old but presumably she's being kicked out of gridania or something because the elementals decided she sucked.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Clarste posted:

This is literally your superpower. It makes you one of the strongest people in the world.

And it just looks like you're doing things effortlessly so other people become adventurers to follow your lead, get their boyfriend killed and then try and bring them back to life Frankenstein style.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Clarste posted:

But what about X'Ruhn!?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

He can see the glowing ball of energy in the sky, he just can't see the circle on the ground around it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Dr Pepper posted:

This is also why Poaching gets a death sentence in Gridania.

The day-to-day life of Gridanians isn't all that different from others. But sometimes the Elementals make a demand. Sometimes someone just fucks up. And the punishment tends to be harsh because their society fears incurring the wrath of the Elementals. Hell, then there's the Padjal. Can random Hyur child can be born a Padjal. Wanted a child? Too bad, your child is going to join one of the Padjali families because they have a special power and a responsibility. With Limsa and Ul'dah, much of their problems ultimately come from other people. With Gridania, they exist at the whims of the inhuman Elementals, and your neighbors, friends, and family would rather let something bad happen than incur their wrath.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

This gets brought up every few pages, but what I'm curious about is the Ninja 70 duty. Hanzo will occasionally use katon, the aoe fireball. Apparently Karasu can somehow sense that it's suddenly become a stack attack and run to you.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Don't they explicitly write the fights for savage and then destine them by removing stuff for normal?

It's helpful to remember that Exdeath in V4.0 bites it in the exact same manner that he does in FFV: getting consumed by the void, only to be transformed (?) into Neo Exdeath.

I'm kinda hoping it's not an additional phase, but an additional Savage tier. Either that or they reduce the HP Exdeath has, cause the fight is already pretty long.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

There's literally a 2.0 main story quest where you have to gather healing stuff to help an Ala Mhiho refugee in Quarrymill because the elementals just don't really like the guy and so they won't let the local Gridanians do it.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Clarste posted:

Most of it comes up in the Gridanian class quests and sidequests rather than the MSQ. Limsa and Ul'dah get a lot more face time there.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

bewilderment posted:

There's literally a 2.0 main story quest where you have to gather healing stuff to help an Ala Mhiho refugee in Quarrymill because the elementals just don't really like the guy and so they won't let the local Gridanians do it.

This guy shows back up in Stormblood, right?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

DRK quest I think?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Clarste posted:

And then you have a majority of players who ignore this and die horribly. Like a certain ex-Garlean would say... Wheat from the chaff...

SKULL.GIF posted:

And before. That's right, I recognized him despite his bit part all those years ago because I am... A loremaster :colbert:

He's the first Griffin double you meet face to face.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
All of my screenshots seem a bit muddier/fuzzier than the ones I see posted here, but I have my settings near max and have screenshots saved as png. Any idea why that might be? Here's a few examples:

http://imgur.com/a/nLpJm

Any ideas why that might be?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Countblanc posted:

All of my screenshots seem a bit muddier/fuzzier than the ones I see posted here, but I have my settings near max and have screenshots saved as png. Any idea why that might be? Here's a few examples:

http://imgur.com/a/nLpJm

Any ideas why that might be?

That seems almost like a bug. Does a proper capture tool such as fraps, dxtory or nvidia Shadowplay give you better results?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Fister Roboto posted:

I hope Arenvald sticks around, it's nice to have another Echo user.

I agree. It'd be cool if he ended up helping out on some sort of primal stuff, doing some sort of assist during the fight.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Hey you! Want a robot spider mount that drops from A4S? For the past couple nights, DGKK has been running a group to unsynch it. It's pretty easy once you know the mechanics, so here's a guide to it:

What you Need:
A good healer. A second healer will help keep Nisi predictable, but we only had one for all of my successful runs.
A tank. A second tank will make quarantine predictable, but that mechanic doesn't matter when unsynching. PLD's are fantastic MTs, because they can pop hallowed ground during royal pentacle.
As many RDMs as you can get. Just having one is great, but more will make it easier to recover from Royal Pentacle. SMNs are also helpful here.

Mechanics that Matter:
Dolls: Dolls come in two sizes. When a small doll is killed, they will respawn after about 10 seconds. If small dolls aren't killed, they will explode and deal a ton of raid wide aoe. If large dolls are kept alive too long, they will explode and take all your mp. If you feed a small doll to a big doll, they will explode in a raid wide aoe that deals damage based on the small doll's hp when they are fed. What you want to do is slowly whittle down the small doll's hp, then feed it to the large doll. Once all of the small dolls have been taken care of, kill the big doll. You should decide who gets which doll at the start of the fight before pulling, to make sure multiple people don't attack the same doll. If you accidentally kill a small doll, hold off on killing the big one until the small doll respawns and is safely taken care of.

Nisi: There are two types of Nisi: Red, and blue. Nisi will initially be given to healers, and then spread to whoever touches the original target. If a player gets both types of Nisi, they will explode. Make sure people stay away from the initial targets to keep things from getting messy. If one type spreads throughout the party, but the other doesn't spread, then you are safe.

Royal Pentacle: If you've heard about this fight before, it was probably this mechanic. After the boss uses the skill Royal Pentacle, six orbs will spawn in the middle of the arena. The orbs come in two colors, red and blue. If they are not dealt with, they will explode and cause a wipe. While these balls are up, the boss will fire a murder death laser at whoever has the most aggro. Even unsynched, this hurts a lot, so make sure you pop cooldowns for it. There are two ways to deal with the balls.

The 'Right' Way: Don't expect anyone to do this, but it should be explained. If a player has nisi, and matches their nisi color with a ball from pentacle, then they will take an inconsequential amount of damage. In order to do this, players must manage nisi and ensure that it is continuously passed along for this phase. Then, they must coordinate who will get which color of nisi to safely take care of the pentacle balls. This is horse poo poo, don't expect people to do this.

The Realistic Way: If a player does not have nisi, and they touch a ball, the ball will explode, killing the player and anyone nearby. Due to the way ffxiv tracks position, it is possible for players to sprint through two balls and make them both explode. If three players use sprint, and touch all six balls, they can prevent the balls from exploding and causing a wipe. As stupid as it sounds, killing three members of your party is the safest way to deal with this mechanic. Decide who will die before you pull (probably the OT and melee DPS) and have a healer and RDM/SMN res them.

The Five Phases, and What to Expect:
When you first enter the arena, you'll see that the boss has four legs, instead of the two in normal mode. After you kill one leg, you can attack the core directly. After you attack the core, all of the remaining legs will be healed to full and you need to kill another one. Any aggro generated is cumulative, so an MT can build up aggro on the first leg, and not worry about it for the rest of the fight.

Phase 1: Start by killing one of the back legs. The first two phases don't have any difficult mechanics, so it's best to take care of the back legs during them. The first leg you kill will not have any notable mechanics that you would not have seen in normal mode.

Phase 2: Again, the mechanics for this phase are the same as in normal mode. The OT and a random DPS will be taken into quarantine to kill an add during this phase, so don't be surprised if you get sucked into a tube.

Phase 3: Dolls will start to spawn after around 20 seconds. For my last two groups, this was around 50% of this leg's HP. Giving people a heads up in chat helped us move into position quickly.

Phase 4: Nisi will be applied at the start of this phase, and dolls will spawn at roughly the same time as they did the previous phase. Try to have someone mark the nisi targets, so people can stay away from them. You may have a second doll phase if dealing with nisi slowed down your group's dps. If you do, then you should play it safe and take care of the dolls before killing the leg.

Phase 5: DPS the core as hard as you can. Royal pentacle will be cast around 45 seconds after this phase begins. For my group, this was at around 50% HP. Dolls will spawn shortly after, but I'm not sure on the timing. Make sure you raise your sacrificed friends fast so you can take care of the dolls safely. If you take too long, the boss will cast royal pentacle again. If it does, it would probably be safer to burn the boss instead of dealing with the mechanic.

And that's it! It looks intimidating when it is written out, but it really is a fun and easy fight once you know what to do.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Vitamean posted:

It's helpful to remember that Exdeath in V4.0 bites it in the exact same manner that he does in FFV: getting consumed by the void, only to be transformed (?) into Neo Exdeath.

I'm kinda hoping it's not an additional phase, but an additional Savage tier. Either that or they reduce the HP Exdeath has, cause the fight is already pretty long.

Also worth noting that Winged Brute Justice only exists in A8S, so there is precedent for having an entire phase of a fight be savage-only. Granted, WBJ isn't nearly as... different as Exdeath -> Neo Exdeath. If they go through with it, I wonder if they'll remain true to the original sprite or create a new horrifying amalgam out of monsters that actually appear in FFXIV.

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

"This is no ordinary poster boy!
No ordinary poster!"
Where's my Alpha pet.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Free Triangle posted:

Where's my Alpha pet.

Probably several patches from now at the end of the expansion after we beat Omega.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Free Triangle posted:

Where's my Alpha pet.

4.4, probably. Please look forward to it.