Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Phoenix Wright localizers having to come up with increasingly convoluted explanations for keeping the setting is part of the series charm, though. If you didn't love Blackquill being a massive weeb who had to explain the delicate intricacies of Californian Rakugo theatre to a baffled audience, I don't know what to tell you.

Also he's apparently actually British on top of everything.

That's one of the fun examples, but there's a lot of bad ones. Especially in games where they have to go back and edit lines that were too out of character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Die hard is called "the crystal jungle". What the gently caress.
In the German dub they made all the German villains English. You may remember that John very conspiciously writes down some of their names at one point. The translators went through some heavy contortions to explain that one, had him give them their original names as nicknames for absolutely no reason, and even added an expositionary voiceover where he explains he takes the German nicknames from giants in a fairy tale (there is no such fairy tale).

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Stevie Lee posted:

the gently caress is a polycule

Admiral Ray posted:

Members of a polyamorous grouping in a cubic lattice arrangement, probably a self-centered cubic variant.

La Brea Carpet posted:

Multiple ridicules.

Universe Master posted:

I found a nonhierarchical polycule on my shoulder but the tests came back saying it was benign.

Pvt.Scott posted:

It’s a play on molecule, so a bunch of people orbiting around drama like an element of sorrow.

Theophany posted:

Apologies for the brain damage this may cause...

Known Lecher posted:

I’m sure the atomic mass is high as well.

Pick posted:

"fluid chain" *threw up a lil my mouth*

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's an old meme comic about comparing different styles of translations, including various hilariously terrible fan dubbers that are probably already long forgotten.

Not exactly a comic, but this is pretty much how different translation styles can be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvNxgHTWIlo

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

While true, it's extremely rare in Spanish that someone will refer to a person as Don.

This whole anime dub discussion is English native privilege. Those of us that grew up in another language are used to nonsensical translations of English, ask any Latino about Spain's infamously bad ones and they will start ranting for hours.

Die hard is called "the crystal jungle". What the gently caress.

So, if native English speakers complain about a bad translation, it's merely privilege, but if native speakers of other languages complain about poor translations, it's fine? That's an odd conclusion.

That said, from what I see of government-generated EFL materials here in Spain, people should complain a hell of a lot more.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

So, if native English speakers complain about a bad translation, it's merely privilege, but if native speakers of other languages complain about poor translations, it's fine? That's an odd conclusion.

That said, from what I see of government-generated EFL materials here in Spain, people should complain a hell of a lot more.

(It was a joke)

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

My old warehouse manager used to say "if you hold it in long enough, it turns into flesh".

Communist Walrus posted:

LONG LIVE THE NEW FLESH I screamed as I shoved the cork up my rear end

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hugoon Chavez posted:

(It was a joke)

Looks like it didn't translate that well, you should have attached a footnote

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It was a broma*

*That's joke in Español**
**That's Spanish in Spanish

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It makes a certain amount of sense, I guess, to have honorifics in stuff literally set in Japan. It gets weird when they're used by characters who are supposed to be Americans in America speaking English.

The manga Delicious in Dungeon has transliterated onomatopoeia with Western equivalents in parentheses.

DOSHA
(WHUMP)

It's so incredibly stupid. loving why??

I can kinda see it (it's because the SFX lettering in the Japanese represents a specific set of sounds (for that sound, probably something like ド-サ or どさ) which is an awkward-sounding sound effect in English.

I agree that it's pretty pointless to keep it in (If you wanna learn what the SFX are actually saying, learn the drat JP alphabet, it's not that hard), but a lot of it is based around the mythical idea of "exact translation", which in some circles just means "Translations with the idosyncarcies I expect and have come to enjoy" (See: Literally everyone ever who says that records were objectively better than MP3s/CDs).

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
My ex-father in law was a hispanic ex-business owner that took care of the local community. They used the Don prefix when addressing him. So yeah it's used plenty still, but you have to earn it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Hugoon Chavez posted:

It was a broma*

*That's joke in Español**
**That's Spanish in Spanish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhdDeWNvvTI

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Choco1980 posted:

My ex-father in law was a hispanic ex-business owner that took care of the local community. They used the Don prefix when addressing him. So yeah it's used plenty still, but you have to earn it.

Are you totally 100% sure that he he wasnt a hispanic mafia boss? Because I'm just saying, "ex-business owner that "takes care" of the local community and gets addressed as "Don"" is ticking a lot of boxes.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

You successfully divorced out of the cartel??

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Facebook Aunt posted:

Anime is a dumb word. I prefer Japanimation.

If you never use the word is that an "anime" shun?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
It cost me my thumbs but I'd say I'm doing goo- looks helplessly at his own neutered gesture. screams in terror

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Choco1980 posted:

It's more of a nickname but definitely one earned due to respect. Or ironically.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Yeah. It's a parody of a slippery-slope type situation. Sometimes, when fan-translating from Japanese, you run into weird road blocks that can't simply be translated into english. For example, Japan has an unusual cultural hierarchy that demonstrates itself in weird ways. For example, in high school there's the cultural idea of 'Senpai', a kid from a grade higher than you. For some weird reason, you're considered more valid as a person if these 'Senpai' folk acknowledge your existence. Normal people would either be unaware of the trope, or if they were, consider it dumb. But nerdlingers are not normal people. They absorb this knowledge, and to validate their existence needs the world to acknowledge it. Some of these people end up learning Japanese, and use this knowledge to translate their favorite anime. And the Senpai is such an all important concept, one that Japanese high schools practically rotate around. How could you not inform these baka gaijin of this cultural institution, one that the modern nation of Nippon is built around. So in your subtitles, you leave the title unchanged, and add a note explaining the concept.

... Instead of just altering the dialogue to state that the protagonist wants to impress the older kids.

Point being, these dorks will put a note to explain any concept that can't be easily translatable. Sometimes it's food, or locations, or deities, or cultural institutions or trends unfamiliar to the western world. Sometimes it's words like senpai, which could be translated with a bit of exposition, but that requires creativity and understanding intention (rather than marveling at surface level style). This can be taken to extremes, where a fan-translator will refuse to translate a pet word because it holds "so much meaning" that the english language couldn't possibly convey in as few words. The image is imagining that scenario taken to literal extremes, where translators put so much importance on the fan-translation aesthetic that they make unnecessary work for both themselves and the viewer.

If you would like to know more about Senpai's, consult the literature in your local libraries.

お客様、ここはマックドナルドのドライブスルーでございます。

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

I Love Annie May posted:

Customers, this is Makkudonarudo no doraibusurū*

*translator's note: "Makkudonarudo no doraibusurū" means "McDonald's Drive Thru"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Uhm, actually, in Japan people mostly call McDonald's either MAKKU or MAKUDO. You loving idiot*.

TL note: it means kisama baka in anime Japanese

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Paladinus posted:

Uhm, actually, in Japan people mostly call McDonald's either MAKKU or MAKUDO. You loving idiot*.

TL note: it means kisama baka in anime Japanese

And we call it Maccas. Perhaps we aren't so different after all...

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Spanish Manlove posted:

My favorite honorific is in Spanish and italian where you can respectfully refer to a man as Don <First name>.

Oh wow, in Italy the US president would be called Don Don. loving DonDon.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Neito posted:

I can kinda see it (it's because the SFX lettering in the Japanese represents a specific set of sounds (for that sound, probably something like ド-サ or どさ) which is an awkward-sounding sound effect in English.

I agree that it's pretty pointless to keep it in (If you wanna learn what the SFX are actually saying, learn the drat JP alphabet, it's not that hard)
Lol.
This is a pretty great failed boast.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

i'm very upset that the triangle isn't actually isosceles

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Oh wow, in Italy the US president would be called Don Don. loving DonDon.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

theflyingorc posted:

i'm very upset that the triangle isn't actually isosceles

Yes it is. Equilateral triangles are isosceles triangles but isosceles triangles are not necessarily equilateral triangles

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

CaptainJuan posted:

Yes it is. Equilateral triangles are isosceles triangles but isosceles triangles are not necessarily equilateral triangles

I did not know this, but ALSO it should still be called "equilateral" for precision and I'm still mad even though I learned something

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jesus Christ, this is the funny quotes thread, not fuckin'... uh, triangle class, or whatever.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Björn and Benny are both about 5'10" so the triangle is strictly isosceles if the third participant is taller or shorter.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
^^ not quite. If the third person's torso was longer than the lengths of both Bjorn and Benny's torsos combined, then it's actually impossible to form the isosceles lock.

theflyingorc posted:

I did not know this, but ALSO it should still be called "equilateral" for precision and I'm still mad even though I learned something

Benny and Bjorn from Abba are both 5'10”, but the third person they engaged in this with is not currently known. We do not know for sure that it was an equilateral triangle, but we can say with reasonable confidence that it was an isosceles triangle.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
ITS GEOMETRY TIME

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CobiWann posted:

As per yesterday's Tanicus session, there is a BIG difference between the definitions of the words "brie" and "bris."

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, you can eat the rind on Brie.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
In Swedish, McDonald's is referred to as "donken" - the Donk.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

sneakyfrog posted:

ITS GEOMETRY TIME

Mamma Mia, here we go again!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

sneakyfrog posted:

ITS GEOMETRY TIME

Surely you mean triangle class

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

tactlessbastard posted:

Surely you mean triangle class

nah thats trigonometry with all those like sines and hypotenuses and poo poo

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
My kids call it "Old McDonald's" and I gave up on trying to convince them otherwise.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
it's Mickey D's for cryin out loud!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

only acceptable time to call it McDonald's is when you're singing that old song

McDonald's is my kinda place
hamburgers in your face
french fries up your nose
pickles between your toes
last time i went there
they fried my underwear
McDonald's is
my kinda plaaaace

to be sung in a very ragtime voice