Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Wazzu posted:

Yay the ten match series is back, shame it includes akebono. Otherwise, it's sad to learn that tozawa-juku have graduated, and now akira tozawa is in a stable with shingo, because I loved the idea behind tozawa-juju. Akira tozawa as a serious wrestler?

I'm actually really excited for Toziwagi. Tozawa really turned it on since he became less Metabolic. It will be interesting to see where Ono ends up at the end of this unit shuffle/unmasking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

LordPants posted:

Is that the guy that took that terrible bump at a NOAH show? If not, what happened to that guy?

It was Yoshinari Ogawa who got injured, and he's has been out since. There hasn't been a major update, but that's probably due to the horrible news across NOAH the past week.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Ditch posted:

In other news, New Japan was sold by Yukes to BushiRoad, described as "an anima/manga media company that have several successful card games, a few video games and a bunch of internet radio stations", which means they're so dorky that *I* look cool by proxy.
http://bushiroad.fm/

Could Yuke's sudden sell of NJPW be related to THQ's growing issues? I know the two are affiliated, but didn't know if they were part of the same company.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Flameingblack posted:

Tozawa is popular enough to lead a stable of his own at this point. He is over as gently caress in America.

Yeah. He's been the leader of BW since him/Kong/Hulk kicked out/screwed over CIMA after a Loser Leaves Unit 10 man tag match. Japanese crowds are finally connecting to him like how they did in the states. If this match is anything like the 10 man match, it could be really incredible.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
The thing about Tozawa is that he was already pretty good before his stay, he just had so much baggage attached to him that he needed that year away from Dragon Gate. I have far too much love for the Tozawajuku vs Zesturins Triangle Gate vs Unit match from 11/2008. As soon as he got to drop the Metabolic gimmick he really started to gain some steam.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

MassRayPer posted:

Older stars not being able to do poo poo doesn't mean they can't still draw in fans, especially on a small scale level.

If anything Japanese indies really excel at this. Didn't Bull's retirement show do about two thousand? I also remember a show that must have been two or three years back that was a wrestler from the 70s official 'retirement' (didn't wrestle for two decades, came back for one match) that apparently brought it a whole lot of people that left puro behind.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Ditch posted:

And Tozawa didn't even get the title after being well-received upon returning to Japan. Oh and NJ's champion is more important to the company than DG's.

:psyduck: indeed.

Could Tozawa not winning also be reflected on how poorly Ryo Saito was over as Dream Gate champ? It seems like they are giving him a slow but steady build. First the minor tourney, tag straps, leading group. Next seems to be King of Gate.

And Okada looks to have his V1 against Naito. Looks like if things are going poorly he can drop it to him.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

weekly font posted:

Weird request: I'm interested in seeing some of Jimmy Yang in Japan. Can anyone help me out?

I think he spent time in All Japan in the late 00s. Maybe as a part of RO'D?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

coconono posted:

wasn't NOSAWA one of the guys present in the NJPW when they beat that kid half to death?

NOSAWA was the one that got drunk and got into a fight with a taxi cab driver that I believe lead to him either stealing the car or attempting to do such.

And yeah, Marijuana possession is an incredible stigma in Japan. I believe it was Kid Yamamoto that left a party that had pot and even though he wasn't caught with it, it was a huge mark against him in public.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

LordPants posted:

Are NJPW turning Naito? Is that what the angle was mid match at the BOSJ night one?

I thought it was more him and Tanahashi trying to one up each other since both have eyes on Okada. I did notice though that Tanahashi wasn't getting as many calls and seemed to be a bit more prickish.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
And the rumor is that Low Ki managed to take out BOTH members of Apollo 55 today. Devitt with his knee (probably was his own fault on the double stomp) and Taguchi fought through with a legit eye thing. :golfclap:

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Yuriy posted:

I can agree that he might be dumb as gently caress, but I'm not really seeing how trying to sneak a little weed home is "a really lovely thing to do".

2.6 oz isn't a "little weed" in a country that has some of the most stringent drug laws in the world, and in a sector of the world that is very negative towards drug use.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
I think it's that they wanted the belt on Tanahashi going into the AJPW joint show. Okada was so so good this reign, I think they have enough faces that he should get another reign soon.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Hey Ditch do you know anything about the new arena that Dragon Gate's running in Tokyo, Ota City General Gymnasium?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
I hate that they are burning a Naito/Okada rematch on the group stage, but I think the winner of that and Block B ends up winning the whole thing.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Ditch posted:

Things work differently in Japan. Shows of contrition/humility count for something.

Isn't he also in AAA so he could be doing this from Mexico? I wonder what kind of beef makes you want to plant a good amount of weed on someone going into a country with borderline medieval drug laws.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

weekly font posted:

Ricochet, Pac, what the hell are they feeding the gaijin over in Dragon Gate? Steroids

CIMA did have a move named after his favorite one he found in the states...

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
CIMA is successful with his Dream Gate defense against Akira Tozawa, and PAC had his farewell ceremony. :sigh: Great for him to get this opportunity but sad to see him go, could have been/possibly could still be the first Gaijin Dream Gate champion.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I just now remembered a question I meant to ask like years ago, and I was hoping someone might be able to give me a little info on this.

What was the story behind Kensuke Sasaki, of all people, joining Dragon Gate years ago to do comedy with the Florida Bros? Was he just used as a special attraction on a few shows? Did he help draw at all, in the role he was in?

Don't get me wrong, it is one of my favorite things in wrestling ever, but I never understood how in the world it came to be.

Same time as Tenryu doing some stuff.

Kensuke Office/Diamond Ring did the rounds of nearly every Major Indy/Major Puro promotion then. I think he'd probably boost tickets for the bigger shows (as were the ones he showed up on).

DG has random legends come in on their larger shows: Onita did World this year, Takayama did it last year. Abby did one. Akebono did a longer/less agile run as a Triangle Gate Champion with Mocchi and Fuji with Zetsurins.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Thanks for the answer, Ditch! I think I saw that BJW show. It was a tag match with Sekimoto on the other side, right?

Magnum was the booker? I did not know that. I always heard DG was done by committee.

One more question. Anyone know where I can find some Smash and WNC full shows?

I thought it was Genki as the head of the committee and Magnum did the promoting, which is what lead to the "money issues" that lead to Magnum leaving?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
If they did OnDemand that'd be fantastic, especially for G1 and next years Super Juniors.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Amazing comp. I'm still surprised how much m-pro holds up and how young Naniwa was and how good he got so quickly.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

LordPants posted:

Watching some old school FMW. What's the story with all the dudes in gis and stuff? I know the basics are that it was literally Martial Arts wrestling where they'd get the Judo boys and stuff to go with the wrestlers, but any enlightenment would be great.

A couple of the guys in gis ended up being the leaders of early Toryumon (aside from Ultimo Dragon) in Masaaki Mochizuki and Takashi Okamura (CEO).

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Who are the 4 guys on the front of this box?

I think I recognise Mutoh, Hashimoto, and Chono but I can't place the fourth guy

R to L, Mutoh, Misawa, Hash, Chono.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Dragon Gate being number two is more of a statement of the Japanese scene than Dragon Gate being a hot company. They've been running the same buildings drawing the same numbers for years; just the companies that would be ahead of them are doing so poorly.

Their tv presence has drastically improved (monthly live koraukens) but its gaora.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
I'd rather have AJPW/NOAH/W-1 merge into one company with a decent roster rather than 3 skeletal companies. Has Wrestle-1 really done much since that opening card/announcing an alliance with TNA?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
I figured Uhaa would be the first gaijin to win after PAC left, but that's awesome. Will have to check it out after it hits GAORA.

Also four title changes in less than a year after CIMA's monster reign.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Panama Red posted:

Uhaa is challenging for the title on Thursday, which will be the first gaijin vs gaijin Dream Gate match ever.

And Ricochet makes his v1 defense and it looks like the next challenger is YAMATO with a match with Uhaa as the roadblock.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Gaz-L posted:

Meltzer noted that it may have been more that his contract with NOAH wasn't up until a few days ago. The May shows he's doing are per-appearance deals as a farewell mini-tour. But he's either going to WWE or NJPW, obviously. (Watch me be proven dumb and he shows up in TNA, pinning Eric Young for the World title before jobbing to EC3 the same night.)

Knowing the heat KENTA has with some of the senior wrestlers in NJPW, it's unlikely that he'd end up there unless Shibata really went out on a limb for him.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Thauros posted:

drat, I usually only watch NJPW as far as puro goes but I've enjoyed what little DG I've watched and should probably check this out.

Edit: If someone more familiar with DG than I could do a brief summary of their stables/main wrestlers I'd appreciate it.

Mad Blankey is the only heel group. Their colors are red and yellow and generally have a punk vibe. YAMATO assumed leadership after Tozawa left. Main wrestlers are him, Naruki Doi and Cyber Kong.

Millenials are tweener. They formed in Mexico when they were on a learning excursion. Their gimmick is based on the Mexican roots and that all their members were born in the 90s. Their colors are green white and red. T-Hawk and Eita are the leaders with UT, Flamita and Yosuke Santa Maria being the other notables.

Veteran Army Returns are a rehash of an earlier Veteran Army that joined up with Windows MG. Their gimmick as one can guess is that they are the senior members of the roster and founders of Dragon Gate/Original members of Toryumon. They don't have a clear leader but CIMA, Masaaki Mochizuki, Don Fuji and Dragon Kid are the biggest members. They're mostly face but can act heelish

The Jimmyz need explaining. KAGETORA and Susumu Yokosuka were a tag team inside of Junction Three during the J Three v Blood Warriors angle of 2011. Their rivals were BxB Hulk and Akira Tozawa whom beat them in a title contra name match. Hulk/Tozawa thought they were the most boring members of the roster and Jimi means plain in Japanese and renamed them Jimmy Susumu and Jimmy Kagetora.This wasn't the first time Susumu lost his name. They decided to embrace it and a stable spun off of it. Currently Jimmy Kanda and Mr. Kyu Kyu Naoki Tanizaki Toyonaka Dolphin aren't getting along but they've seem to put it behind them and saved the unit (they are the oldest unit currently active in DG). Their logo is a pair of eyeglasses as all of them wear glasses.

Monster Express is the newest unit and the most face one. Their color is orange and they are based on all being best friends and being formed by members of dead units or kicked out of units. There really isn't a leader but the main native members are Akira Tozawa, Masato Yoshino and Shingo Takagi. Save Millenials they are the only unit with gaijin. Ricochet, the first gaijin Dream Gate Champion and Uhaa Nation are apart of it.

There are a couple of roster members without units but they are either part time or young boys or Stalker Ichikawa (he's kind of a member of Veteran Army but isn't really treated as one because he's Stalker.)

Hope that helps.

NotQuiteQuentin fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 7, 2014

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

RudoReels posted:

DG:
Was kind of surprised Ricochet dropped his title so soon. Anyone know if there's a reason or was it just because?

They wanted the belt off him before the Super Juniors and didn't want the champion losing solo matches. YAMATO is probably not going to have a long reign either.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Jimmy Susumu beat T-Hawk in the finals of Dragon Gate's King of Gate 2014 tourney. Susumu's been having an incredible year & should be under consideration for Most Outstanding. I also wonder if this means that Genki Horiguchi has to retire the King of Gate 2012 tank top or give it to Susumu.

Susumu gets a Dream Gate shot against YAMATO, in what is the last defense before Dragon Gate's biggest show of the year, Kobe World 15th Anniversary.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Dragon Gate has an iPPV tomorrow from their monthly show at Korauken Hall. It's $15 and can be purchased at http://www.ustream.tv/DragonGate It's sort of a mid point between DEAD OR ALIVE and the doubleheader CHAMPION GATE next weekend but it still has a couple of big matches.

Here's the lineup from iHEARTdg.com:

0. K-ness, Kenichiro Arai vs. Super Shisa, Chihiro Tominaga
1. U-T, Yosuke♡Santa Maria vs. Gamma, Hollywood Stalker Ichikawa
2. Open the Brave Gate #1 Contender Match: Jimmy Kagetora vs. Shachihoko BOY
3. Don Fujii, Ryotsu Shimizu vs. Jimmy Susumu, Mr. High Tension Kotoka
4. T-Hawk, Eita vs. Masaaki Mochizuki, Dragon Kid
5. Masato Yoshino, Akira Tozawa, Shingo Takagi vs. Mr. Quu Quu Tanizaki Naoki Toyonaka Dolphin, Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!!, Jimmy Kanda
6. Nombre contra Nombre 5 vs. 1 Scramble Elimination Match: YAMATO, Kzy, Naruki Doi, Cyber Kong, Mondai Ryu vs. BxB Hulk
*Hulk will face each member of MAD BLANKEY in a series of singles matches. He has to defeat all of them to win the match. MAD BLANKEY only need to defeat Hulk once. The winners of the match gain the rights to the MAD BLANKEY name and logo

Matches 4-6 all have potential to be really good to great and 3 is a sleeper. I've been championing Jimmy Susumu for a while and that's an interesting mentor/student match up that should show off Shimizu's growth. I also expect some Susumu v YAMATO interaction leading up to the Dream Gate match at CHAMPION GATE. There hasn't been any announcements about the order of the Scramble match so I suspect that'll be revealed early on the show. The scramble match has huge connotations in regards to Unit Shuffling that started to happen with Hulk quitting Mad Blankey.

EDIT: Forgot to give the start time: 5:30 AM EDT/4:30/3:30/2:30 PDT

NotQuiteQuentin fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 4, 2014

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Just finished Dragon Gate's Korauken Hall show and it was a whole lot of fun. It didn't have the blowaway matches or story of Dead or Alive or the last Hall show but for $15 bucks it's worth it. I love how the BxB Hulk storyline is going and hope it doesn't end with him just winning the belt at World and joining Monster Express. It'd be good for them to have a unit-less Tecnico champion, but they've never pulled it off before.

I thought the Millenials/Veteran tag was the best thing on the show. Angry Mocchy is fantastic and T-Hawk is such a great foil for him. Also Eita might soon be in the running for the sleaziest wrestler in Japan.

The Jimmyz/Monster Express trios match was fun but I'm kind of tired of Jimmyz. I thought they'd finally implode and everyone disperse in the upcoming unit shuffle.

Dragon Gate's been hitting on all cylinders as of late and it's a good time to hop aboard heading into their biggest show of the year in July.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Dragon Gate had their double show CHAMPION GATE event over the weekend. Everyone successfully defended their belts save the Millenials dropping the Triangle Gate to Mad Blankey of Naruki Doi/Cyber Kong/Kzy. YAMATO's win against Jimmy Susumu clears his road to Kobe World 15th Anniversary Festival on 7/20. Dollars to donuts he's defending against BxB Hulk. Only match signed for Kobe World right now is Flamita defending the Brave Gate against Dragon Kid. I'm bummed that YAMATO v Susumu and Takagi/Tozawa v Kanda/Tanizaki weren't recorded for Infinity but the rest should be up on OpenTheDragonGate and DailyMotion over the next few weeks.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Ricochet and Jimmy Susumu in the same match is so close to my current DG dream match. I have both of them in the running with Ishii as Most Outstanding. I think too many people sleep on the year that Susumu's put together.

I'm really stoked for the July that Dragon Gate's putting together. Kobe World has the potential to be the show of the year. I'm putting together a huge effort post running down the card for it.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Yeah he's unitless. I thought there might have been a chance that he'd form one before Kobe but if nothing's happening tonight, I don't expect anything will until August.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Biosys posted:

Matt Sydal & CIMA vs Ricochet & Yoshino was announced for Kobe World, which should be amazing.

That should be so much fun. I hope CIMA's able to keep up. Sydal is a perfect fit as the gaijin in Veteran-Gun.

The big storyline events out of Korakuen are Mad Blankey got the win in the main event after an aided box attack by Dr. Muscle. Muscle unmasked himself as Chihiro Tominaga, whom lost the Punch Perm match. He joined Mad Blankey as Punch Tominaga, pissed off at the rest of the roster for his long term mistreatment.

Eita beat Tozawa by towel TKO after having him locked in El Número Uno. This led to a scuffle between Milennials and MX.

NotQuiteQuentin fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 3, 2014

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
My Dragon Gate Kobe Pro-Wrestling Festival post is turning into a monster so I think I'm going to create a thread and break up the posts/make a GDT for the iPPV. Any objections?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Thauros posted:

Yeah, a big show like that definitely deserves a thread. I'd make one if I knew the fed better.

I started the thread. I'll add preview posts/an updated unit run down over the next few days.