Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
My ride home from work. Cue Miami Vice / Hotline Miami soundtrack.

PS: that speed is in km/h - HARDCORE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

You're really wringing that engine out too.

Sweet pic though. What kinda bike?

Yeah, warp speed, amirite? You're only gonna see that sort of crazy performance on a REAL MAN'S bike like my CBR250R. :smuggo:

That said, any faster and all my GoPro captures is a niceley exposed dashboard and a ton of blurred-as-gently caress scenery. Low light photography FTW.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

HNasty posted:

Hay guuuuyssss what's going on? So I decided to go to yourope and ride around bikes for a bit, the plan was to land in Germany, get some bikes and ride to Switzerland and Italy and then back to Germany. Here are some pics.

Das ist uber-cool, Nasty. Ja ja.

How long did you go for?

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
Went for a ride in the Canberra hills today. Here's some raw, unedited footage of my KERAZY speed

http://vimeo.com/73265359

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
Not quite motorcycles, but otherwise the right idea.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

prukinski fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Dec 14, 2013

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Diametunim posted:

That Z1000 is almost as hidious as the Ducati Diavel, almost. Or is it worse? I can't decide.

Yeah, this. The Z1000 and Diavel are both hideous rolling choads. Kawasaki's fizzy drink colour schemes don't do the Z1K any additional favours though.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Snowdens Secret posted:

I own one of these and it's still the coolest helmet pattern I've seen on an Arai, or pretty much anything

Also funny to wear around my more uber-macho buddies because flowers and poo poo on it makes it 'a girl helmet'

That is GORGEOUS. Didn't know Arai went in for fancy (non-tribal) decals.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Jaz posted:

Took this photo on a hot day. Metric cruiser. Shorts/tank top. Dog.

AustralianCruiserOwner.jpg

No flip-flops. Partial credit.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Slavvy posted:

Like a gift-wrapped present for yourself :lovewcc:

Got a raft that'll make it all the way over the Pacific? :v:

I assume importing modern bikes is a nightmare in NZ as well, but just so you know, I vaguely remember raising the idea of wrapping the gixxer z3n bought/pimped with my cash in old goldwing fairings to be able to bring it home via Australia's pre-1989 import loophole. (Old bike? No expensive / complicated compliance bullshit). I still think this is a sound plan, and given how cheap bikes are in the US, SOMEONE should crate a z3n special home to the antipodes one day. ~$1500 in shipping is still a bargain when you consider the low price of ludicrous horsepower in the Bay Area.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

ShaneB posted:

Because it's a visually interesting (albeit derivative in some ways yes) piece that this guy storyboarded, wrote, directed, whatever, and put out to the world. It's a piece of creative output that goobs on the internet can watch and say "pfffff"

I mean technically this is barely about motorcycles. It's a story that includes a motorcycle as a prop.

I find the video's content itself derivative and insufferable - and I'm *at* art school, I should be this guy's core demographic - but to be fair to the guy, this is an entry for a filmmaking competition. I'm guessing artfully framed and edited shots of his hipster moustache, preferred brand / receptacle of coffee, and family history will go down better with the judges than, say, something like this, which I think we can all agree is a better video about motorcycles.

A video that's uncompromisingly true to any niche interest and requires a deep knowledge of that interest to extract enjoyment from it is going to struggle pretty hard to attract attention outside its particular community. "My maintenance routine on a [insert CA approved bike here]" isn't going to win the dude 20 grand worth of film gear.

I have no doubt he's an entitled tool IRL - god knows most of my school cohort is (myself included) - but having a go at the video for being a cliche is like tearing apart someone's job application or resume for lacking personality. He's pitching to a particular audience - a panel of commercial film judges that probably don't give a poo poo about motorcycles. Making middle of the road "inspirational" bullshit is a legitimate tactic to win the competition.

Rant over. Here's a picture of the world's life-savingest pipe.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

M42 posted:

It's that time of year again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxjtv6PCSVQ

be warned, there are a number of quite a few clips from fatal accidents :nms:

The Aussie guy at 2:00ish makes me so happy. Faaaaaaaaack.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Powershift posted:

something something turd polishing something....

anyways, here's a guy trying to turn some poo poo 80s bike into a ZX14

I'm kinda dissapointed that there's no picture of it on fire.

That's incredible. Like one of Erwin Wurm's fat cars.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
Zoinks

http://bit.ly/1KzaYjU

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Grimarest posted:

I never thought I'd be lusting for dual sport bikes a year ago but yep here I am.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh88exSsQ-g

Likewise. I was completely uninterested in dirt riding until I clicked that link. Why hasn't anyone marketed these without a red bull MAXXXXTREME aesthetic before?

Want. Want bad.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Renaissance Robot posted:

Remember that guy with the lovely 4 can hack job?

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Fanelien posted:

They're completely arbitrary and dumb in Victoria. One of my favourite roads has a couple marked at 30kmh where it means it due to diminishing radius or being off-camber. Yet some are marked the same with a clear sight line which can be taken at the 100kmh speed limit of the road.

I find the advisory signs in Victoria to be generally consistent per stretch of road, but wildly inconsistent across the state as a whole. When riding from the Melbourne to the alps I have to remind myself that 30km/h advisories get more realistic further into mountain country.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

I must have seen Alien 20+ times in my life and I swear each time I catch myself thinking "nah, they're gonna make it."

1:28:30 was that sort of master-level suspense.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Slavvy posted:

I've always found it helpful to park the bike so the shadow is under/behind the bike instead of in the foreground.

I agree w/r/t the angle, but there's a lot of things going on in that photo that make it better than the stuff Mister Speaker's shooting.

- Figure to ground: the blank wall behind the bike that lets it stand out from its surroundings and gives you a sense of its overall shape. (Otherwise both the bike and its background are a jumble of complex shapes that don't give the eye somewhere to land). This is probably the most important thing and what make's speaker's photos kind of meh at the moment.
- No lens distortion - the photographer's back far enough that the bike's not being warped by the width of the lens.
- Height relative to the subject - the photographer's crouched down low enough that we're viewing the bike at its level rather than below or above it, where it either looks small and pathetic or fat and ungainly.
- Enough space around the bike that it doesn't crowd the entire frame.

Mister Speaker, if you want your photos to be more better, compose them so there's nothing intersecting their outline in the background (other bikes, cars, buildings, whatever), take a couple of steps back, and crouch lower.

[edited for clarity because I'm hungover af]

prukinski fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 29, 2019

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Stumbled on this, ended up watching it all in one sitting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsZBXlTHPCg

Presentation about responding to road racing trauma from a guy who used to do it on a superbike, loaded with medical gear, at speed. Road racing :stare:

I love that video, and Hinds is a rad guy, but "used to" is an interesting way of putting it.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
1:06:30 is like something out of Fury Road or Jaws 3D holy poo poo

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

mulligan posted:

44T are fun, but annoying sometimes.

Hard agree. The challenges and whatever are fun, sometimes, but the dude with hair, especially, comes across as a Clarksonesque twat.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

LodeRunner posted:

"That better be a rock.

.... oh god dammit"

Ehh, that's pretty much as good a spot as you could hope for for a patch.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
Does anyone have the freedom.jpeg image of the bikers throwing away their helmets?

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
I can't believe I went through all the effort necessary to pull this off and didn't change the time on the dash.

gently caress.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Strife posted:

The revs and time legitimize it. If everything on the cluster read 420 or 69, it would seem edited.

Hitting 69 kph as the odometer ticks 42069 when it's 69° is an incredible accomplishment and you should be proud of your success.

Thank you thank you. This was logistically wild to pull off but I was stoked af when it all (almost) lined up. Even the shadow across the dash worked out

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

I hate the direction iD took doomguy in for doom eternal and that is 100% in keeping with that lovely aesthetic.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Mister Speaker posted:

How is it the Slayer's aesthetic any different from the 2016 game?

I kind of love it. It's BFG-powered, and the front wheel is a chainsaw. Not my ideal seating ergonomics, but it's pretty cool.

Re: the character himself, the tactical biceps in his armour and the silly abilities like a "flame belch" are cringeworthy, but the real kicker is the doom slayer playset / lifted bro-dozer of a fortress that he gets around in. It's all so adolescent and lame. Much like that bike.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Xakura posted:

Nah, it's a balancing act. 2016 was cool, eternal was cringe.

Yeah, I'm not asking for a Schindler's List point and click adventure. 2016 was incredible. Eternal is like a bizarro universe version of that game where all the mastery of narrative and pacing and mood were switcheroo'd with ... I don't know quite what. Nerd fan service?

It's like eternal is intentionally bad. Good shooting and nice colours, but just ugh. The awful lore dumps and catering to a very specific dweeb power fantasy of being BIG AND TOUGH and having a computer with three screens and a BAT CAVE made me embarassed to witness, let alone play, it. It's as much of a mess as the jump from starcraft to starcraft 2, but maybe there's also an element in there of how the Nolan batman movies and how they really lean into Wayne being really rich. (Which the design of that motorcycle remind me of).

The more I think about it, the thing that gets my goat about that doomcycle is the same thing that gets me about doomguy having a huge flying house in eternal. It's not just a dude that has willpower any more, which I guess is the whole point of 2016's characterisation. Now he's just another rich oval office with some toys who gets his way while the game world bends over backwards to jerk off over what a RAD DUDE he is. You're playing a boomer mindset, or a billionaire appeasement simulator.

But I also have an actual art degree and no hope of ever owning a house so maybe I just can't see that bike over my pretension and the chip on my shoulder.

prukinski fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 1, 2023

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

moxieman posted:

I really enjoyed the gameplay of eternal but could never quite articulate what bothered me so much about the setting/story/other bullshit. You nailed it.

In cycle pic content, this has made me think about video game bikes in general, and reminded me I’ve never gone back and looked at the bike from Full Throttle since I’ve gotten into motorcycles.

lmao. 80% exhaust pipes, 20% bike

From memory, 90% of Full Throttle is getting your sick hog to work again, which makes it the most accurate motorcycle simulator ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Stumbled on this gem of riding prowess
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0Vrr_0gPoo

What's keeping him from washing out the front and/or highsiding out of every turn? BMWs traction control? You can see the full dash and I don't see any lights popping up but don't know how TC alerts for most bikes if it does at all

Can't speak to what's going on traction-wise, but speaking of seeing his full dash - this makes me feel better about giving up on riding inline fours and never getting out of first gear.

prukinski fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 19, 2024