Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Greetings thread! I decided to use the hiatus to read the thread, to see if perhaps anyone had answered some questions that have been looming in my mind. There were a few interesting finds, but also a bit of amazement at things that have never come up or took forever (like Behi being Casca's, because it will be the fastest way for her to get back to Griffith).

I sure would love to see more references backing up some of the claims, but whatever, I'll just sin and post goon fluffing as well. Let's start here:

apropos to nothing posted:

this. it also reinforces the theme throughout the story of god/fate/destiny being capricious/evil and not trusting them. shes raped by the person who she viewed as an angel sent to save her from rape. meanwhile for guts he sees the person who gave him the impetus to seek meaning in his life, take the meaning that he found away from him.

Finally! 180 pages of posters bringing up rape more often than Berserk does, and someone finally gets it (or at least posts it).

tl;dr: Casca's savior from rape is Griffith; Guts wants recognition instead of betrayal and gets it from Griffith. At the Eclipse, Griffith decides a course of action leading to rape and betrayal. The character backstory is an essential part of the Eclipse, which isn't just about eating some humans, but as many evil things as can be brought to bear (betrayal, friendship, ... listen to what Slann says).

What could have been done to make this a more positive story for the lead female character? I have no problem with Casca swapping roles with either Griffith's or Gut's character, but do you honestly think Miura could have sold a story where Casca rapes Guts' new boyfriend... need I say more?

Now then, to the tome, in case you missed it. Someone else can edit out all the :words:

Casca's story is how she was saved from the despair of that mountain village. She's the victim of a rape attempt and then she's granted a means to protect and save herself; for Griffith, it may have been meaningless chance ("Do what you want"), but for her, Griffith is the savior. She decides to follow Griffith, and, whereas Griffith is the brains, she becomes "the action of the Hawks" (until Guts shows up) and "the actor of Griffith's will". She directs everyone in the Hawks without Griffith lifting a finger; she directs Griffith's consciousness to action even when she hates it (protecting Guts when Corkus first wants to murder him). As a Captain of the Hawks, she "cannot be raped", and is not a plaything for the enemy.

Her explanation to Guts is when she reveals that Griffith sold himself to Gennon. It seems the (probable) moment when she realizes Griffith will never look at her "as a woman", so she ends up burying those feelings to "be by his side" and to "be his sword" so that he can fulfill his dream. Guts sends her away from the 100 man battle to "return the sword to its sheath" and, on the way, there's an attempted rape; she saves herself long enough to be saved by the Hawks (not Griffith). (Oddly, Judeau just stares at her when she says to hurry and save Guts, which is perhaps when Judeau starts to realize she's changed after Guts arrival, as echoed in the snow later).

Guts has a slightly different story. A major component of his childhood is attempting to live up to his father figure. Instead, he learns only betrayal; repeatedly. Gambino doesn't treat him well on the battlefield, treats him like a slave by taking all the money he's earned from the battlefield, sells him to Donovan, and tries to murder him for reasons he doesn't understand. His company of adopted fathers and friends tries to kill him without seeking an explanation, after which suddenly the whole world is against him when he was just trying to be a useful soldier. In chains with a fellow prisoner, he already doesn't want to be touched, even when near the point of exhaustion, and when he tries to form a friendship he's betrayed. The only thing that doesn't betray him is his sword.

Corkus decides to rob him (Griffith doesn't care, "Do as you will", same thing he told Casca). It goes sour and Griffith sends in Casca (he doesn't even ask her to save Corkus, or to break up a fight, just "Go take care of it"). She barely survives, but one wonders if Griffith cares about any of his party at this point, or if he's just testing the waters. It's easy to see what Casca would be thinking (because it comes up later): Why is Griffith wasting so many resources on this guy. This leads to her getting pissed off when Griffith tells Guts, "I want you", which is especially clear if he just tells everyone else "Meh whatever". But we were talking about Guts...

Guts also ends up wondering why he's been left alive, why his 'enemy' has kept him warm in bed for three days while he had a fever, and why his 'enemy' is willing to negotiate with him on the hill. When Griffith announces he's going to fight because "must obtain the things he desires", Guts gets pissed off (at his "superior attitude", sound much like an infallible father figure that turns out not so nice in the end?). After the fight, Guts is only thinking about how he lost, but Casca has been slighted.

After a while (three years etc.), Guts has formed some connections and Griffith protects him like a friend, standing up for him against Casca, trusting him with tasks, and so forth. Griffith provides Guts with the recognition that he's a useful soldier. Later he finds out, surprise!, it's all been a big misunderstanding. Griffith doesn't think of Guts as a friend, Guts realizes he's just been another used tool, and he decides to live for himself instead.

And there's Griffith, about which there is no backstory whatsoever. At the Eclipse, he is granted a view of his psyche, but there is no guarantee any such events ever happened in his childhood. We do know that he thinks of people only as tools, doesn't consider himself in view of typical class struggles and limitations, and doesn't think anyone is worthy of being his friend. Having obtained Guts, the "thing he desired", he has to keep him, or everything falls apart... which is does after the snow falls. At that point we see what is likely the most gratuitous and disturbing rape in the whole series, because Griffith is consciously disconnected and seeing Charlotte only as a path to the throne. Typical battlefield rules are in effect, get her pregnant and I'll be king, ride her like a pony. And when he's doing that... yeap, he sees Guts leaving him, which seems more a reference to his ambition than earlier homosexual undertones. Afterwards, Griffith starts ripping his shoulders, just like with Gennon.

Before the rescue, when Casca fights Guts, Guts realizes that maybe he "betrayed" Griffith, but points out he had to take his own path; Casca then gets a glimpse that maybe she's made the wrong choice this whole time. They have start to have sex, it goes sideways, and Guts reveals his childhood story to Casca. They follow through with Guts first physical connection and presumably a positive sexual experience for Casca with an actual emotional connection (but they still mention just "licking each others' wounds"). Guts' response is to dive in headfirst :laugh: like a teenager ("I want you a thousand times") but Casca is reluctant, pissed that he's planning on leaving again, and tries the childish brush off (tells him he's "stupid", he doesn't buy it). By now Guts is free to care about Griffith as a friend in his own right, but also transitively because he cares about Casca. Leading up to the rescue, Guts has reconnected to the Hawks through Griffith and Casca, and he realizes what he did that led to Griffith's downfall (and very likely has realized that Griffith would have thought of him as a "friend" but he couldn't because his lofty dream required thinking of everyone as a tool; at the least we know that Guts stands up for Griffith as a friend at the Eclipse).

The timing of events after the rescue seems somewhat essential. Wyald gets ready to rape Casca, but she's saved by Guts (not by Griffith, not by the Hawks). Griffith gets on top of Casca and does his thing, but she realizes she doesn't want that physical connection from him any longer. She decides not to leave with Guts; when Guts says he's staying with her, she pushes him away onto his own path, but that conversation never concludes because Griffith rides off, they wonder if he overheard them, and then, moments later...

Guts is getting betrayed by the one person who made him feel most useful, and who he's realized actually was a friend; and Casca is back to despair and getting raped (not just an attempt like all the others) by her savior and protector.

I'm not going to debate at this point whether or not Miura is a genius writer; there are definitely some issues at times, but I think at the least that he's been very lucky with how well these pieces fit together. The Eclipse needed to be more than just a smorgasbord, and it motivates Guts' character leading into The Black Swordsman (honestly, would you trust anyone or want them touching you after trying and failing like that?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Piriwi posted:

I think the problem people have with Miuras depiction of sexual violence is not that its present or aimed primarily at women, but rather that when he draws it often the women tend to be young and shapely and the center of focus, whereas the men are usually depicted as typical famished peasants and are simply less detailed.
Alas he's stuck with "culture" that forms some of his focus, the boundaries he can push, what will sell, and what he downright can't draw.

I for one will happily let Miura skip the week :razz: it would have taken to draw Griffith's genitals when he's at the well with Guts, even if it means we'll never know how well hung he is.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Aaand this is why there is no debate: The Black Swordsman arc is required reading; things are confusing without it.

Guts/Puck still have Behi. It has only activated in Black Swordsman. (Well, we assume it wasn't dropped into the sea).

So then, I've thought for a while now that Casca will recover enough to remember she wanted to stay and care for Griffith, (Guts maybe gets pissed at this and throws her Behi or Puck slips the info), and she uses it to transport there. If there's time dilation on the island though, it might change things (and explain the number of expected remaining chapters). Thoughts?

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 24, 2016

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Law Cheetah posted:

she was fine with it, she didnt start hating Guts until he had a weird psycho freak out and almost raped her and bit her on the titty

So her running away in the cave was just PTSD? And had nothing to do with Guts leaving her there? Are you quite certain that she doesn't hate him more because he tried to tromp on the demon child five seconds after she hatched it?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Also remember that the period of time where Casca hasn't hated Guts has been very short. She hates him from the start, yells that it's his fault Griffith was injured with Zodd, hits him when he's hobbling to where the nobles are visiting Griffith.

She stops loathing him a bit when he rescues her from the fall, doesn't want him to leave the Hawks, but then basically goes back to blaming him for Griffith's downfall. She seems to "accept" Guts then, but after the rescue she still (vocally) chooses Griffith.

If memory recovery is to some random previous state, the odds are not with Guts. If she's going to kill Griffith (I'd like to see this, btw) she has to be angry, but did she look angry during the Eclipse (she looks rather "resigned to her fate", "disempowered", which might well be a bit sexist)? Supposing she does recover enough to switch to the mode Guts has afterwards, and is angry enough to seek instant revenge; Behi is there waiting to be activated, and it seems to like despair.

I just can't quite figuring the pacing for that angle. If 380 was ~70%, there's 100 chapters to fill, so there would need to be another boat ride or something. Presumably Rickert needs to get to the secret hiding spot, Casca needs her meds, and there's more for Falconia.

Griffith's pattern in defeat is radical change, and typically not for the better. He just got bitch slapped by Rickert. Is he going to give equal treatment to Rickert (beneath his notice), or are we going to see Griffith's next downfall of his own making?

I realize Gaiseric's kingdom contained some Branded, but I still wonder if the city wasn't destroyed by the four cardinal spirits. That would tie with the Shuttle/Farnese angle a bit.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

LordMune posted:

If I'm not misremembering, Guts or Casca using a behelit has been explicitly addressed - since they're Branded, they can't.

I think this is a self referential goonthought, though I'd be satisfied with a primary reference.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Angrymantium posted:

At this point I'm really curious to see what role the godhand actually play in things, they've all manipulated the events to lead up to now to happen, but Griffith/Femto is the only one that humans know about. And it's kind of unclear whether they're serving or attempting to subvert the Idea of Evil.
What's the point of the Godhand anyway? I don't get the impression that they've manipulated anything, only that they happen to represent certain elements aspects of the human condition that drive events. All we know is that humans die and go into the abyss, unless they end up apostles or godhand (there's allusion to continued existence of spirits).

If the Idea is to be believed, it's purpose is to channel collective human thought and to provide some reason for the evil in the world. The Idea may not even have agency; it tells Griffith to do whatever he wants. The Godhand and apostles only seem to be special in that they had amassed enough "something" (despair, grief?) to make a human sacrifice (but not just murder, some personal sacrifice, but not if you're Void sacrificing Gaiseric's kingdom, if that's what happened). As discussed in pages past, they currently appear to represent some aspect of evil, but as you point out, no one knows about them... so it all seems kinda silly.

Humans are terribly fickle and have a rather hosed up view of evil. The apostles are apparently only evil because of their excess. Nina likes loving, but not as much as Wyald. Guts likes swinging his sword, but not as much as much as Grunbeld (but is he actually evil?). Zodd is focused on battlefields.

In any case, what humans see is usually wrong. They think Guts and Shierke are evil, until their village is saved. Guts is often the scapegoat, until he's seen to be defeating something more scary. On the other hand, Griffith is seen as a godlike savior (with beautiful hair), but we all know that his ambition and pride aren't going to sit well in Falconia when he has his temper tantrum. (Casca didn't choose me, I'll attempt suicide then punish the one she did choose; "You people will all be punished if you can't even make Rickert see the light"; etc.).

It seems like the only way for humans to "get what they want" here is to have the godhand in the world, presumably so they can be demonstrably destroyed then people will have their utopia. Griffith putting them all on trial seems far fetched (and slow). If they all appear at once, the resulting melee would likely destroy everyone (but Griffith's self destructive nature might set this off). If Guts kills them all (slow), no one will get to see the destruction of evil.

Maybe the only way is to have one big human/spirit orgy where magic wraps up all the godhand and apostles and stuffs them into the abyss, but then people are back to anarchy and the idea of evil (and Guts might need to die too). It's either that or Evangelion, where the only way out is for everyone to go.

So yeah, the godhand. Do they ever actually do anything outside eclipses, or do they just sit in their Escherland drinking tea waiting for some aggrieved caller with a Benefit? Is there any way to make them useful in the story?

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 28, 2016

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Piriwi posted:

The Godhand... They explicitly stated that they manipulated events so Griffith would be born and eventually become one of them.
Naup, I don't believe they ever said that. What they did say (DarkHorse translation) includes:
pre:
(The Eclipse, leading to the invocation of doom):
Thou art... the one chosen by the hand of the great god.
... because you had those qualities, [the behelit] fell into your hands.
... you used the behelit to summon us
He will offer all of you as a sacrifice.
All lies within the currents of causality.
(The escape):
We ourselves are not gods, after all.
Or else this too was fated to happen.
Presumably the "great god" is the Idea, because the Idea states "Obeying the will of the essence of human kind, I weave every man's destiny". That implies the destiny of the Godhand, including Griffith's, is set by the Idea, not by the Godhand themselves. That means the Godhand are the effect, not the cause. The Idea goes on to say: "Your desire is my desire as well; your actions themselves shall prove to be suitable for your kind as a whole; may they bring pain or salvation to mankind; do as you will, chosen one".

If Griffith is the human manifestation with the power to carry out the will of man, then the other Godhand seem to be ineffectual rejects, unless their sole purpose (prescribed by the Idea) is to be the representation of evil that Griffith is meant to destroy.

Most of this is off canon, though. If we're absent c83, we seem limited to a Godhand that believes it can basically predict causality (with few exceptions), but otherwise it had to wait 216 years for Griffith. The Godhand seems only to attempt minimal manifestation in the dark corners of the world, and, from what we've seen, limits such torture to Guts. I'd buy that Slan may have "helped" the trolls and such, but there's no evidence that they impact individual circumstances.

Unless I'm forgetting some other conversation from the source material, the Godhand don't seem to 'do' very much except act as the gatekeepers to apostlehood.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
To be fair, if they save Casca then they can save Griffith too. Guts and Casca will reform him; they'll all go stab the heart and be reborn by the release of spiritual energy. Griffith will sob because he hurt Guts, who will sleep with him to console him. They will start dating and realize they were meant for each other; Casca will be the woman scorned.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
It might be more likely that Casca gets her revenge on Griffith by seducing Charlotte, then popping in at the wedding and shouting "I Object!". Charlotte and Casca end up ruling Falconia, Guts and Griffith leave together to have "swordfights".

I think we'll need to come up with some arc names for Miura here.

And go back to seriousposting

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I was just trying to think about their motivations a bit in order to envision what role they might play in the endgame.

Here are two interesting finds: "The Black Swordsman, the one who's destroyed so many apostles of the godhand... you should consider him a hated enemy!" "Enemy?" (There are a few non-translated sounds effects from the other godhand at that point.)

Also during the flashback of the count's story for Theresia, only four godhand are shown, suggesting that Griffith wasn't there via time travel. Of course, the story can change and the flashback could be a lie, but Miura doesn't seem to do much of that.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Zasze posted:

... specially the skull knights reaction to puck its just too on the nose for him to be a random fairy.
Reference please. Which reaction?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
They should have done lost children first. Think about it, many of the scenes are a bunch of tiny little indistinguishable creatures flying into a sword. Rosine would require detail, but her apostle form could be medium poly and still work. Egg sacks. Yeah, real complicated. Trolls? Pretty basic. Afterwards they'd have more practice, better technology, and improved models for the tower.

Instead they choose to start with the harder stuff. Humanoid apostles, lots of close ups on two dozen different secondary characters. I mean, just start naming all the characters you can think of that build the backstory, all the details needed for the torture chamber, the torturers, Luca's troupe, goat apostle, Joachim... They're screwed.

Insect battles versus all-human melees? They may have made the wrong choice. :(

... still waiting for something better than the anime (other than the manga).

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
This will be the first time a chapter appears while I'm actually waiting for it. :circlefap:

I wonder if the "one per month" will last past November.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Clearly this is Charlotte getting it on with Femto after they get married. You people that think it's Casca, yeah you're just obsessed with that part of the Eclipse.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Serious Frolicking posted:

i never really liked the black swordsman stuff aside from lost children anyway. guts going all doom guy is better in small quantities.
Small quantities, like 8hr animated. It would be so awesome. And is the whole fucken reason he cares about Casca the way he does in the next arc.

OnimaruXLR posted:

I know that people like the Lost Children arc, but having your protagonist covered in dead baby blood and leaving a trail of dismembered children in his wake would probably be a little too much for 1980s Japan, to say nothing of modern day
Because it's definitely better to go with a story about using a wheel to dismember starving people, especially if they have the plague, and better still to have a primary female lead who gets excited by toasting people and seeing their breasts literally ripped off.

Yeah, there's no comparison.

Happy people will never understand the dark side, but they can grasp religiously driven torture. Oh. Whell.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
They're building suspense by providing character motivation. :pseudo:

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Spoiler for those with weak stomachs.

Conclusion: We arrive at Elf Island. They start the memory recovery process and it immediately flashes out to the Eclipse, Casca slumped on dead bodies. She opens her eyes lying on the ground after getting raped only to realize that the entire story was her imagining Guts saving her. Guts is slowly devoured as she screams, but suddenly there's no noise despite her mouth being wide open; the last thing we see is her looking down at her own body being dismembered by Griffith, as he tosses limbs like little doggie treats to the surrounding apostles, finishing by ripping off her brand, kissing it tenderly, then reaching down and tossing her last eye into a set of razor sharp teeth.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Griffith is too pretty. He needs to be thrown down on his stomach and raped, though I'm not sure whether that's by Casca or a horse.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
"Page not found". Woohoo, it's like they're channeling Miura in February when he decides on another "see you sometime".

oic it apparently bounced to http://imgur.com/a/RqyMD (maybe, I haven't checked the whole thing)

Edit: Woohoo a moon child appearance, but I can't read the symbols so I have to wait. It also sure looks like Puck is in trouble there for some reason. Also, why do these trees look like Ganishka?

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 23, 2016

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Relin posted:

chapters out. so they really were on the wrong island...
Nice spoiler tag d00d.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Tyberius posted:

I can't help but think while reading the latest chapter all of these kids are going to die horribly.

Karp, I don't know what to spoiler; we have some new readers here now, and I don't want to ruin anything for them. Okay, opting for too many. Sorry. You certainly have enough time between chapters to uncover all my spoiler tags. :)

It certainly seems more and more that Griffith will have to come to Elfhelm in force to destroy them all, which has the added bonus that Rickert and Silat can come up from behind in some leftover empire boats.

I've always been of the opinion that the destruction of Gaiseric's kingdom was at the hands of the spirits of the four cardinal directions, which would permit the destruction of Falconia using the same methods but that would require a final battle at Falconia. In any case, it seems like a significant block of magic will be required to rebalance the astral planes and lock the Godhand back into their own dimension.

I like how Shierke assumes the dream reference is to witch lady (sorry, I'm blanking on names today). I certainly don't yet trust the translation, and obviously there are troubles converting gender neutrals to English properly, so it's not clear if the head sorcery means he, she, or it, but there's only two times he has his eyes open. The first ends up with Puck claiming some importance and the second is aimed at Guts, in that knowing glance. This suggests the dream was a visit from Skull Knight, and Guts is his apprentice. Again, possible translation issue choosing slightly the wrong emphasis there.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If I could draw tits as well as Miura, I'd probably never stop tbh.
I don't get the impression that it's supposed to be pornographic, but if we're going to be equal opportunity, we'll need to see a lot more (real) penis. I guarantee that more than Genon was going after the youths; I mean, "Holy Purple Rhino Knights"? Come on.

I guess Miura can't draw those without Japanese circumcision censorship bars, so that's no fun. Oh well, when the aliens come through in a million years and find our "historical records", they're going to think all Japanese males had some quasi-chastity-Prince-Albert piercing thing going on. I guess I have to go look up rapehorse to see what we got; it was certainly more 'normal' than Wyald's fuzzy thing.

Still, when Griffith was at the well, he was a Ken doll. Maybe at the Eclipse he was using his new, unrealized powers to warp space instead of an actual appendage.

For more serious content, I'm still pondering the likelihood of another Eclipse episode. Not sure I see it, because the shocker has already been seen, so what would be the point of doing it again. Some large battle seems more likely, with swordplay and magic versus Godhand-style-warping stuff going on. The wildcard seems to be Puck using Behi to turn into The Stay Puffed Apostle.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Fred Phelps as Mozgus, Animal (Frank Oz) for RapeHorse, R Lee Ermey for Puck...

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
The sword was clearly built using very light internal alloys, coupled with a nice carbon nanotube exterior. It's made even lighter by all the souls it houses. We know it's heavy enough that Isidro can't lift it, and that it doesn't fracture when going through bone and stone.

The physics for calculating the energy during a swing is ridiculously easy, but I have to get off this bus so someone else can do that.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
And that little one produces enough angular momentum to get the sword going (at "visible" speeds).

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
As we're voting, you can include me in the "movies are watchable" category. The first one is an unfortunate thing all around, which makes it an awful introduction to the story for any newbie. In general, the only thing the movies have going for them is the animation in the larger battles.

Also possibly better in the movies: Bazuso fight, the ballroom :razz:, errmmmm... Judeau is a lot better. Griffith raping Charlotte is better at conveying the madness in that whole scene. That's about it then. I actually like the soundtrack, generally, but I'm not going to claim it's better/worse than the anime.

I've been slowly rewatching the anime as time permits, and I'm still on the "anime is better" side. The 100 Man Battle is remarkably better in the anime, even with the still-scanning.

The movies are just about some poo poo happening. The anime is about why the people decide to make the poo poo happen.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
The story is so well motivated that it's tough to chomp pieces. He just beat Rosine by sacrificing a little bit more of himself; he just told the other girl that the world sucks (I've been so bad with names lately, sorry), after he got injured from saving her; he just killed a bunch of children and doused himself in fetus squeezings. "He was fighting last night" is so weak of an excuse it's insulting.

Will they do it? Sure. They'll throw in a few frames and make it look like he's been fighting nonstop for a while, and then cut to him limping through the woods. Or they'll just open with him in a cage.

I know, people won't care if we open with the Eclipse.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Berserk anime sounds like one big substitution jutsu. Karap.

I hate having to watch these things just to see if they captured some important dramatic element. There was at least one of those in the movies, but it's been so long I don't remember what it was.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
More talking about the game than speculation on the story. :sigh:

Anyway you all made me stop and ask, what would be the quintessential Berserk game? If it's yet more Golden Age, it should be strategy, of course, a turn-based positioning and politics type of thing. Do you raid the castle, or just make it look like you will?

Of course, most of Black Swordsman would be the same: Do you save the stupid child from the beast, use the child as bait, or just watch? Do you drop Theresa or not? Do you smile or laugh?

A game should be deeply troubling, induce despair and shock, of course you should lose everything, repeatedly; your teammates should stab you in the back, your vision should fade, the soundtrack should induce panic.

Even I have to admit that doesn't sound like the best gameplay; what is the goal anyway?

Oh poo poo, how does Guts win? :ohdear: I mean, in the manga. Are his motivations any more pure than Griffith's?

Clearly a Berserk game with electronic nerve -induced loss of limbs would be awesome. Well that's my idea for the perfect Berserk game anyway.

Still it's better than half the people in this forum who think Berserk is basically just all rape.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

tbp posted:

...the fights are the only part that feel dragged out maybe to me. like i wanted to see what was going on for so many pages, not necessarily see guts / gatts swinging around his sword vs some essentially no name weird reject preist bros for many pages / chapters. but still the arts really good.
What about the hundred man fight? Did you feel that it was just about Guts swinging his sword around?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
For a game it's not the worst thing in the world, but Zodd looks that bad? Phale.

I wonder if Guts would ignore someone who asks for their eyes to be forcibly removed. I think he would leave them to their pain.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Last Celebration posted:

He basically just laughs at people for being screwed over by life sucking, and comes of as malicious IIRC. Like, Lost Children comes right after it story-wise and he is just a super unhappy jaded guy, but in a way that makes it believable that he's "our" Guts....

Ccs posted:

This show is a masterclass on how not to animate. They managed to add motion but remove all the life.
"You need Black Swordsman to motivate the character". After all, Puck only bugs the poo poo out of Guts because Guts does everything to keep him away, and Puck gets off on aggravating people. "Oh, but Black Swordsman is dark, we don't like it; him demonstrating his sacrificial fighting style, and superior high-speed swordsmanship is not enough".

"You need Lost Children to motivate the character". This time instead of telling the girl to come back and murder him when she wants revenge, he at least departs friends, he has Puck hanging on, he's starting to recover from the Eclipse a bit (emotionally), which permits him to move to a place where Casca will become his responsibility, where he's willing to admit Farnese into the circle, etc. "Oh, but he uses kids as bait, and there's trolls that do icky things in one scene, and the kids are like Lord of the Flies but more murderous and they're all rapists; his demonstrating his superior swordsmanship against two insect-like pseudo-apostles that were presumably knights is not enough".

"We don't like rapehorse and Farnese riding the Dragonslayer". "Wait, why does this devout female leader suddenly just drop her long-cherished beliefs?"

"We don't like Guts losing control and chomping on Casca". "Oh wait, what's this inner dog demon beast thing that didn't get introduced when we skipped all that material in the previous arcs?"

This slippery slope leads not to Berserk but "Should have just animated most recently-popular video game, included big sword, and given at least one character a biomechanical arm or something"... like an 8-year-old Guts fleeing on horseback and falling amidst a pack of wolves. (But we can't show that because it's cold and rainy and dark and sad, and he just committed involuntary patricide and was just prostituted out; and it's not enough that it motivates his subsequent survival mentality and distance from other people which isn't really fixed until he hooks up with Casca but almost strangles her but opens up instead... 24 hours before... crap, the Eclipse.)

Well gently caress, maybe you'd like a nice anime about tea and crumpets. Griffith had that vision too.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

TheManSeries posted:

As I said before, I think it's gonna get worse before it gets better.... I could see a newly reunited Guts and Casca trying to just stay away and keep far from Griffith and Falconia. Guts fighting all the way across the sea just to abandon Casca to go kill Griffith is a huge contrast to the character we've seen develop since the Guts got Casca back.
If Casca recovers her functionality, and memory up to any point at or after the Eclipse, there's every reason to believe that she will be the one wanting to carry out revenge. If we expect to "get Casca back", then the character will either be the momentarily-defeated leader we saw, which led to her hooking up with Guts, or the strong leader we saw for 90% of Golden Age before that, during which time she yelled at Guts (rather constantly), told off Corkus without a thought, etc. After the rescue, she had a mini-development, emotionally, when she decided to stay with Griffith and told Guts, "I love you so you have to go off on your own".

Behi is right there waiting, and the only person in the party who hasn't evolved out of their despair is Casca.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Bad Seafood posted:

Time for a hiatus.
Until July 22. OMZ(odd). :comeback:

Second release for which I've been an active reader. So excited.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Lecture on learned behavior in patriarchal dictatorships, and the societal outcomes of dictator betrayal.

Or the dialectic issues raised by the dogmatic view taken by Corkus.

Or the parallels between the religiosity of Farnese and... anyone.

The effect of de facto adoption on children in high stress environments. :razz:

Puck and Puck, from Shakespeare to Miura. :eng101:

Musculoskeletal stress from various hand cannons. :science:

I mean there are tonnes of choices.

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 15, 2016

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

mabels big day posted:

I'm glad they are at least keeping the important parts of the manga.
Griffith's flowing white hair?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Oh the trauma of being licked to death by puppies a huge John Wayne nose mask table lamp. Don't look too close... and it looks like she has hooves instead of feet.

Just think of the fun we could have had with Gigeresque breasted jet engine Rosine with 20ft stinger, and bathing in egg sac fire fluid. Oh. Well.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Crabtree posted:

It's gonna be kind of sad or cute if she ever gets better and the first thing she tries to do is swing a sword with who knows how many years out of shape arms working against her - yet still be in better shape than Guts after his latest fight in the armor.
? Half way through the process she remembers she hated his guts, then kills him before realizing what she's doing? Then she remembers the rest and Behelits to Griffith, then refuses to accept apostlehood and gets sucked into the vortex. Griffith becomes terribly offended that he couldn't save her from fate of his own making, and decides to sacrifice everyone in Falconia to try to bring her back. Godhand descends into Falconia to have a feast of epic proportions. Griffith realizes Casca is lost and the Godhand aren't actually helping him, so he blame-stabs the heart. The vortex sucks up the Godhand and all of Falconia, which becomes the new 'fallen city' filled with sacrifices. The heart is revealed to be alive, pulls Casca from the vortex, and elevates her to status as first Godhand.

That's certainly better than Guts connecting to Casca for the memory recovery process, and having her "kill his dog demon" as part of her and his "return to fullness". The have a son (named Griffith) and daughter (Shierke) and adopt a puppy (Judeau). Isidro becomes pissed that he didn't learn all the secrets and becomes Black Swordsman Junior, trained by Serpico, and Farnese and Shierke rule the world as the two spiritual queens with their boytoys. All goes well until Guts and Casca are out for the day and their children are set upon by apostles. And we all know what apostles do to children. Skull Knight saves them (afterwards, of course, how convenient) and takes them away from their bad parents without ever telling Guts/Casca what happened. Story repeats as "Children of Berserk".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

threeagainstfour posted:

I gotta have that Void figure.

If you can put void's hands over two glasses and pour champagne down that cape into those glasses, woo!

Also next time I think I'll just read the Korean without understanding anything then wait until the translation is out. Back and forth reading and looking is tough; it'll take a few more rounds. Still a very detailed write-up.

Someone needs to slap Isidro upside the head, but no else in the party seems to be making a comment. What's so special that Guts would withhold that? Just his comment to Isidro many moons ago that "Some things you have to figure out yourself", or is it that Guts wants to leave that part behind him?

Puck is quite the marshmallow.

The conversations in this chapter might lead to some interesting responses from the team. Only Roderick and Shierke seem truly unoffended. But great building of tension before they get to the elf king.

Very happy. :circlefap: