Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Meis posted:

Yeah I reccomended that earlier, and agreeing with everything Fedule is saying here, I now recommend it even more. Seriously, it's pretty great to see the author of the game show up and start listening to criticism. Not only is the LP entertaining as hell, but there's a whole new level now. Personally I hope the experience will indeed help our aspiring artist here improve for the better. It's definitely worth following this, at any rate.

The FFT mod thread sounds interesting, but do I have to know anything about the original game to appreciate the LP?

Yeah, the thread has become pretty heartwarming, considering this is SA and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dyslexiactic posted:

Somebody has a crush! And it's also me. I also recommend most of MDC's older stuff.

It's not like Habermann recommends the MDC in every one of his podcasts!

My favourite video of theirs is probably the Minecraft special in which they save Christmas.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I dunno where else to post this, so I'll try here: Coulis' LP of Disaster: Day of Crisis has been deleted from Blip. Has anybody downloaded the videos? And would it be possible to have them restored somewhere?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I have them, that LP was amazing and it's a shame that it never finished. I can up the videos but yeah, it'd be great to have a permanent storage of them somewhere.

Having them on Dropbox or somewhere would be nice - or perhaps one of co-commentators could reupload them to their YouTube channels?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Research Inidcates did an unfinished run of the first game:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3270375

As I said, it's been abandoned, but RI's name should be enough to guarantee that what content there is, is top-notch.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

dantheman650 posted:

I'm looking for humorous group or pair LPs, preferably currently active. I can't get enough of Ride to Hell and would like other LPs in that style. I really loved Blood on the Sand, Mecernaries 2, Lowtax's Bad Games thread, and everything by the Tipping 40s.

I'd seriously recommend checking out the Disaster LP re-uploaded just few posts above by Admiral H. Curtiss. it's one of the most hilarious things on these forums.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

skoolmunkee posted:

Yeah I am kinda curious about this too. It seems like some things get added sooner than others, is it basically just various individuals with logins going and updating things as they see/find them? Mine's been going over 2 months and it's not there, is it because it's tiny, not done yet, or have I messed up by not submitting a link or something to somebody?

I searched for some LPs I've read in the past three months or so, and only those that got archived were found, regardless of their popularity or completion status...

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm trying to remember the name of a ridiculous, amateur-made graphic novel with a dumb name and a looped Beethoven (?) composition for soundtrack that was LP'd some time ago. It was notable because the author actually dropped into the thread.

Anybody able to help?

VVVV
Yes! You are truly a Good Samaritan, Admiral!

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 2, 2013

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

KittyEmpress posted:

Has anyone LPed the new bad SimCity?

I want to see it in action but have no will to subject myself to it.

SA's own Yukitsu did a bunch of SimCity videos under the "Relaxing with Yukitsu" label.

http://www.youtube.com/user/YukitsuTimes/videos

And he actually seems to like it. :catstare:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Now I'm sad I'll never see the towers of Hatmandoor.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

PlatinumJukebox posted:

Also watched the Freelance Astronauts New Super Mario Brothers LP for like the third time recently. I know they did a whole bunch of others, are there any highlights? I'm not sure anything can top NSMB though...

Have you seen the Mass Effect LP? That one is the best IMHO - and it starts on a very strong note.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

MEAT! posted:

It is different because biscuit aka the cynical brit aka the king of the internet puts himself and his ego before whatever he promotes. If I watch one of Chip's lps I'm sure I'll learn a hell of a lot more about the game than I'll learn about him.

I used to watch his videos for a short while. Then I noticed every time there was another commentator, or whenever he replied to his viewers he acted like an insufferable arrogant prick, and not in the benign "haha it's my gimmick" way. It's really hard to take anything he says seriously after that.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mehuyael posted:

If you haven't watched Ride to Hell: Retribution: The 1% yet then you should.

That, and The Golden Compass which may be even better.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Do read it, I know exactly nothing about UK football, and it's fascinating.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Turtlicious posted:

Right, I too laugh when children are bullied.

Please read about the dangers of cyberbullying in my brochure "Something Awful Says: Stay Positive, Stay Cool".

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

JordanKai posted:

It's the people who do see the humour in that that are the broken spergs. Sorry you had to find out this way!

I'm pretty sure slowbeef was in that chat, why are you attacking the poor guy and accusing him of being autistic?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bozart posted:

I just watched their first ME3 episode, and man, they are angry about video games. Personally I find that amount of bitterness to be repulsive.

I've just watched some of their Skyrim and Wlaking Dead stuff, and I must say that they are refreshingly honest and balanced, if anything.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

RoadCrewWorker posted:

It's really easy for "critical" people to fall into the "being bitter and angry is my thing and people love it" trap where they end up hamming it way the gently caress up and shriek at the most minor things for minutes completely invalidating their previous thoughtful complaints, which is usually where i turn it off and never come back even if i generally agree with them. :( Here's hoping they can tread that very fine line.

Their style is quite different from the AVGN approach to criticism. When they really dig into a game's shortcoming, it's closer to solemn and eloquently expressed disappointment than to exaggerated rage.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

bladedsmoke posted:

Spoiler Warning is good if you don't mind what is occasionally very harsh criticism of the AAA games they play. Their latest Skyrim season is already one of their funniest.

Alright, I've watched more of their videos as background noise over the last few days, and i must give a resounding recommendation to them, despite some technical deficiencies they are the best video Lpers I've seen in some time.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I don't know if it matches your request, but i've enjoyed mynameisnotlilly's stuff on a second screen for a some time. He has the perfect voice for it and plays through incredibly long RPGs at a fairly thoughtful pace. He uses a bit of character definition to keep it from just running down the questlog as a milktoast paragon, but it's not overbearing - i say that as someone who really can't stand "in-character" or roleplay playthroughs - and shows some paths that i personally would never see so that's interesting.

I must STRONGLY advise against any of his videos beyond Wasteland. He plays blind and is extremely incompetent. It took him like an hour to get out of the starting cave of Fallout 1 (the one where you just need to run past a couple of rats).

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Earnestly posted:

I need an lp to listen to as background noise. Here's the hard part. I've been lurking the forums since 2008. I've seen every default option this thread typically provides. So I guess I'm looking for a good informative lp that isn't that popular.

There's also

https://www.youtube.com/user/ArthurDWolfe

whose content is ideal for background noise, and tends to be informative without becoming too didactic.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

StoryTime posted:

I'm going to throw out a recommendation for Let's Play Disaster: Day of Crisis.

And I'm going to say you should go for the superior, and imo insurpassable Coulis LP of the same game: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2725735&pagenumber=112&perpage=40#post422356615

(Sadly only available through Dropbox following the Blip purge)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FillInTheBlank posted:

I'm in need of some VLPs of the Half Life series, preferably voiced.

Have you seen the Spoiler Warning LP of Half Life 2? They are mostly talking about the design elements that went into making the game work even after all these years. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIN36m4vlapbyq4txGaCBFkGCIXz-V9zm

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

YamiNoSenshi posted:

If people saying human being is a little much for them, this might cause their heads to explode. It was hilarious, though.

? The Men Drinkin' Coffee (R-C-TM) don't swear for the most part.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's unprompted, but y'all should watch the Back to The Future LP by Klownz, an underrated LP of an underrated game (imho the best Telltale product, surpassing even The Walking Dead):

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549685

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Please make sure to include

Disaster: Day of Crisis
Two Worlds
High School Dreams: Best Friends Forever

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think the games I mentioned earlier and elaborated upon by Curtiss / Paper Lion could go into laid back, at least in spirit.

Anyway, a good (and underappreciated) example of an atmospheric LP could be

Alice: Madness Returns. JustAFriend and Sinatrapod guide us through a completionist run of a game that is notorious for having way more style than substance. Thanks to their subdued but smart and overall dryly humorous commentary you can enjoy the creative audio-visual and story aspects of Alice without suffering through the repetitive platformer gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The new OP should also include a notification that the huge banner saying "This LP is also available on the Internet Archive!" isn't an advertisement, and you shouldn't be afraid of opening it, no matter what your years-reinforced anti-banner instincts tell you.

• Locked thread