Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Ziploc posted:

That gearstick looks weird as hell.

It is the most annoying transmission lever in the world. My parents have an AT E60 525i (we put small engines in cars in Asia hurr) and every time I have to touch it I gingerly clasp the thing with the tips of my fingers like I'm going to break it, and it feels like the cheapest plastic joystick in the world. The action feels more mechanically decoupled than your average automatic shifter and makes it plain that it's the car's electronic brain that is calling the shots, not you. Over-engineered creatively-shaped garbage, that's what the shifter is (grumble, grumble, rant over).

edit> When I prefer the feel of my 1999 4-cyl AT Camry's shifter to this, BMW has a problem.

got off on a technicality fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 31, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Has anyone heard anything lately about the rumored Z2?

(Totally made-up artist rendering from AutoBild attached.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Car & Driver posted:

New BMW roadster to compete in less pricey MX-5 Miata segment. Z2 should sell for less than $30,000 when it appears, most likely in 2010.

BY JUERGEN ZOELLTER, October 2006

According to sources inside BMW, the German automaker plans to launch a roadster priced well below the current Z4, which starts at $36,295. Although the price has not been set, the new two-seat droptop, dubbed the Z2, is expected to occupy the sub-$30,000 roadster segment that is currently dominated by the Pontiac Solstice and Mazda MX-5. The successor to today’s Z4 will remain near $40,000 and will continue to compete against the Audi TT, Porsche Boxster, Nissan 350Z, and Chevrolet Corvette.

The upcoming bargain-basement two-seater will reportedly be based on the chassis and components of the current Z4, but it will measure a mere 151 inches in length, making it about 10 inches shorter than today’s Z4. Styling for the Z2 is in the process of being finalized, but we expect the diminutive roadster to have short overhangs and 19-inch wheels. Our artist’s rendering provides an idea of what BMW might have in store for its Solstice and MX-5 fighter.

Unlike today’s Z4, which is powered exclusively by six-cylinder engines, the Z2 will only get four-cylinder power. However, those engines will range in strength from 150 horsepower in base versions all the way to a turbocharged 300-hp, 2.0-liter four-cylinder in the M-tuned version. An expected curb weight of 2800 pounds should allow the Z2 to make the most of that power. Transmission choices will include a traditional manual and — surprise, surprise — a double-clutch gearbox similar to Volkswagen/Audi’s DSG. BMW plans on replacing its rough-shifting sequential manual gearboxes with smoother DSG-like transmissions before the end of the decade.

To keep costs down, a nearly identical chassis to today’s Z4 will underpin the Z2 — struts up front with a multilink setup in back — but there will be the option of adjustable shocks. The electric power-steering rack from the Z4 will also live on in the Z2, with optional variable-ratio active steering.

Set to go on sale in 2010, the made-in-America BMW Z2 should add some German flavor to a segment dominated by the Americans and Japanese.

I realize that this article/speculation is 18 months old v:shobon:v

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

omgitstheinternet posted:

Ahh ugly ugly ugly! I was talking to a couple sales people at the dealership and they all hate it and none of them think it will sell well at all.

I'd bet that they (and you and most of us) don't fall in BMW's target demographic though. Before my parents got thoroughly sick of owning an SUV they went for a Toyota Harrier (grey market Lexus RX300) mainly because it looked thoroughly modern (this is around 2002).

I think BMW has come up with a superior compromise in the X6, since it looks really good and subjectively appears to be a better attempt at reconciling the car and the SUV. At least, that's what BMW's marketing department believes the boomers will think.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

milieu posted:

I think up to the windshield the Frau GT4 looks better, but the rest of the 2002 looks better. The 2002 grill looks like a cicada.

What he said. I wonder if anyone has ever tried to bodge a Frua front end into a 2002?

(actually in retrospect it looks like the Frua has a longer wheelbase so maybe that's not even possible)

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Colleague of mine has a 1998 328i with ~120,000 miles on it. He's planning to list it for $4k, which seems high to me given the following:

- Interior is very clean, except driver seat which is pretty beat up and has an inch long tear on the bolster
- Exterior has a couple of door dings (like the size of a dime) and a few scratches, but otherwise in decent shape
- CEL is lit, possibly because of an automatic transmission that hasn't quite poo poo the bed but is definitely on the way out (getting up steep slopes can be a challenge!)
- Car has been in SoCal its whole life so no rust or anything
- Cooling system has been replaced twice, most recently at around 110,000 miles

He says that he wants to sell the car with the CEL and let the buyer take care of it, which seems a little bonkers to me. What does AI think? Any idea what it costs to rebuild/replace a transmission from that era?

edit> here's a pic of said car

got off on a technicality fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 5, 2010

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Here's my Christmas present to AI:

Why hello there

:flashfap:

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
I have a friend with an all-stock 135i; are there any potential weaknesses that he should keep in mind when taking it to the track?

(For example in my case I short shift on left hand turns that require heavy breaking beforehand because my car suffers from oil starvation; also the power steering pump tends to leak on hot days)

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Stealth Like posted:

The M6 will be much more costly to own (I'm looking at picking up a coupe at the end of the year). You'll probably want to get an aftermarket warranty if you're going to get the M6. The most common problem on them is the SMG transmissions pump going out. The repair for it is typically $5,900 or so. The problem with it is there is no mileage range that they go out at. It could be never, or it could be as early as 13,000 miles

I'm not too well versed on the 650i but I imagine it would be much cheaper all around.

Having driven both the M6 and 650i in anger, IMO there is no comparison at all :) Now if you're just looking for a luxury cruiser that's a completely different proposition. As for reliability my colleague's '07 or '08 M6 vert sees a daily commute of 35 miles each way and the occasional track day, but it's held up really well with no unscheduled maintenance needed in the past year he's owned it. It does consume oil at a fairly sickening rate though - like a quart every 1,500+ miles

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Am I being to anal and changing the oil every 4500 miles on my E60? I have the N62B48. I just rolled over 80,000 miles, I know it seems a little excessive, but I just want to protect my engine and make sure it lives for a while.

The next time you change your oil get it tested by Blackstone Labs and also pay up for the TBN test. If the TBN is good and there are no elevated levels of iron/bearing metals then you should by all means extend the change interval

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
I'm this close to buying a leftover stripper 2013 128i convertible (literally no options); I understand the engine is pretty solid but are there any major reliability issues or foibles that I should be aware of? I've never owned a BMW but I can't imagine they're that finicky

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Well I ended up buying it. Got a reasonably good deal (20% off MSRP) on a leftover 128i convertible with some niceties (tech package, leather, park sensors). It's not out and out sporty esp by today's standards, but I really like the engine and the car feels very buttoned up on the highway. And there's a lot less wind noise & buffeting than I was expecting.

I know BMW doesn't recommend an early oil change for non-M cars but is it worth doing one anyway at ~1,500 miles? Is this the sort of thing that only matters if you want to keep the car for 100,000+ miles?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Tab8715 posted:

Is there anything about the 1-series you don't like? I'm semi-curious but I'm wondering how it'll be in the snow and on long trips - with my new job I'm driving almost a 7000 miles a year.

Well I commute ~70 miles every day, and had been doing so in a Cayman S for the past 2.5 years. I used to go to the track quite often but don't anymore - for my purposes today this 128i is a step up in every single way except perhaps brand cachet (but who gives a crap?)

The biggest issues I have are that the wind noise starts to get noticeable at 70 and the size of the back seat is marginal. Both are things that I am happy to live with in exchange for a convertible top that I put down every chance I get, especially now with the wonderful weather in the Bay Area.

The car has clearly been set up to be understeery (I have the standard suspension and 16" wheels haha) but IMO that's in keeping with its character as a stable, easy-to-drive cruiser that enjoys a good spanking once a while. Don't know if that's an issue in the snow but you can always fit a bigger rear sway if needed (AFAIK the stock one is tiny)

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
I assume the N51 is not exempt so can someone tell me when I should proactively replace the GDCS in my 128i SULEV?

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
There's no Mini thread so this is the appropriate place right

My boyfriend is looking into a 2015 Mini Cooper S (to buy for the long term, not to lease). I understand the earlier generations were not great in terms of reliability; does anyone know if Mini/BMW has improved since then? I really hope so because I test drove one and it was surprisingly fun on the streets of SF. The other alternative he's considering is a GLA250, which I find appalling :smith:

e: if the 1-series is babby's first BMW the F56 must be positively embryonic

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Thanks, this is really helpful

Ludicro posted:

Oh, and whatever you do for the love of god don't get both sport suspension and run flat tyres.

We'll probably get the adaptive dampers. Don't run flats come standard on all Minis at this point? I was planning to have them swapped out as soon as possible

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Ether Frenzy posted:

I've considered the M3-GTS DCT tune if/when I do the rod bearings because they will do it for free at the same time, I'm at 34k miles so don't need to change the DCT fluid anytime soon but it's on my mechanic's list of "things to think about in the future".
What's a good mileage to do the rod bearings? I talked a non-enthusiast good friend into an E92 M3 (with carbon roof!) many years ago and should probably tell him to look into it...

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Got it thank you both

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

KillHour posted:

Have you driven one? Because it feels more special to drive than either the C63 or the RS5. And just because the looks aren't your cup of tea, doesn't mean it's less special - if anything, looks wise it's one of the most obviously set apart from the non-m models ever. The exterior is entirely different and the interior can be spec'd to look absolutely insane. The only thing I can say about it that doesn't feel as "special" as I'd want is the sound but it's really hard to be objective about that when I drove a V12 Aston immediately before and after.

Edit: and it's disingenuous to claim the S58 isn't special because it's used in a crossover - it's used in the X3M and X4M, which, like it or not are true M cars. Even Ferrari is making an SUV now.

Let me say I agree with your purchasing decision and am sure you’re going to enjoy the new M3 a lot. I think you put your finger on it, which is that the most distinctive feature of the new M3 is its styling - i.e. it is most important to BMW that M3 buyers are able to show off that they bought one and not a lesser 3-series, even if it is polarizingly ugly vs. the regular. Ultimately the new M3 is a product marketing, not engineering-driven car

So the BMW that made this decision to invest in styling and not a one-off engine etc is different from “heyday” engineering-driven BMW and that is sad, not that it isn’t already obvious that marketing has long since taken over the company. They will no doubt continue to make good cars here and there, but those will be the flickers of a dying ember that will end in the banning of internal combustion (let’s forget the i cars for a sec). Welp that’s my depressing take

got off on a technicality fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 19, 2021

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

KillHour posted:

I can't wrap my head around the idea that you consider the S55 to be a one-off but not the S58. Both are only used in M cars; the S58 just happens to come in an M car with a lift from the factory. Both engines share a platform with the "regular" inline 6 used in the lower models, and both engines are 3L twin turbo DOHC straight 6.

I’m really saying that neither the S55 or the S58 are one-off, that the engineering-led distinctiveness of the M3 peaked with the E92 and is slowly ebbing

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

KillHour posted:

I would be willing to bet that if the new M3 and M4 had the old grille, you'd magically consider them special somehow, even though they'd be the exact same car.
Quite possible - whether we like it or not the grille has dominated the conversation. That is unquestionably a triumph of marketing. Engineers could never do this

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Data Graham posted:

Uhh the regular 3 series has the gross grille too, doesn’t it?

The regular G80 has a more modest grille

efb

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

kronix posted:

It's amazing to me how many people don't realize that every M3 sedan has had the nose from the coupe.
Oh drat I didn’t realize the regular 430 and 440 get the horrendous nose as well

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

But seriously, if I didn't want to waste the rest of the tires I have, could I get away with just replacing one based on the remaining tread?
I’ve heard that places like Tire Rack can shave down tires to match tread depth

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=259

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

ok the dealer is never gonna give you poo poo like that for free, because why would the parts department give you something for free when the sales guy hosed up?
Sales guy at Lamborghini dealership: oh, the wind deflector that I promised would be in the frunk isn't there? *Overnights new $600 part*

I was shocked

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

And anyway, even if you come in in three years, he ain't gonna be there. the odds that that salesman is at that store in three years are maybe 10%. Every second he spends thinking about you or your problem is time spent where he isn't making money or doing a thing where he could be making money in the future. Even if he absolutely blows you away from a customer experience standpoint, you're not gonna tell your friends and family to see Amir at the BMW store. And even if you somehow did, the odds that they actually go see Amir at the BMW store are very, very long, and the odds that they buy a car from him are so long that they're basically zero.
My spouse leased 3 cars in a row from the same guy. Got insane pricing on the last one before the guy retired. I'm sure there are lifers, you've just got to find them :shrug:

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Here's a photo of a really sexy wagon at a track day today:

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Kudos to the owner if they're tracking that bad boy.

It's an instructor too! Here's the back

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Speaking of instructors in BMW wagons...

(yes it's an M5)

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

rscott posted:

Making your M3 look like a 10 year old Lexus IS owned by a scene kid to own the libs

The front & Alpina wheels & drop are cool and good but the non-OEM aero bits on the rear (thing on top of rear glass, notched ducktail, diffuser) are a step too far for me

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

to me the e90 is like...the guy who makes those awful paintings in cheap offices trying to mimic cubism. i love the clean lines of the e92. i think it is still one of the most handsome cars on the road. fight me

I'm not quite so down on the E90 but agree re: the E92. It's the spiritual successor to that timeless E39 look

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

KillHour posted:

Those seats really are cool...
:monocle: amazing!

Still not over the front end despite seeing several of these in person but hey at least you don't have to look at it when you're sitting in the car :v:

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Somewhat Heroic posted:

for real that is worth the price though. It is basically brand new, and being the 6MT (even though it is Not A Great gearbox) will hold value into the future. Brand new it was 80 grand. Considering inflation and all I say it was a good buy.

I think that's a good perspective. The holding costs (fees, maintenance, cost of capital) are non-trivial for something that was only driven 7-8k miles

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

I've put probably 3k into it over my ownership so far. Right now it needs an intake manifold gasket (I think,) brake fluid, ground strap. It also needs a ton of paintwork, probably 2.5k worth. Realistically I am looking at putting another 4-5k over the next couple years of my ownership for a 10 year old BMW with 105k miles...
I'm no expert but isn't this due for a full gdcs refresh in the near future?

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Cojawfee posted:

Sometimes having a car that blends in is nice.

This, very much. Especially if it’s going to be your primary car. But I do like the red

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

KillHour posted:

Dropped my car off for the breakin service today and oh - turns out they don't have the diff fluid and no dealers on the east coast do either. And also BMW won't let them use any third party fluids even if they match their specs. No ETA - could be a few days could be a month. So I have to keep my car under 1800 miles until that comes in. The service guy talked to his warranty advisor and they said it's been documented and if I go over the 1800 miles my warranty will still be honored but LOL I don't believe that for a loving second.

Also BMW will void my warranty if I take it to a third party shop and have them do it. Good job BMW.
What a quick way to end someone's honeymoon period when they've just bought a new car :stonklol:

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Data Graham posted:

POWER
BEAUTY
SOUL

:perfect:

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Steakandchips posted:

I’m 36. Insuring the car won’t be an issue.

Bit too big, the 530e then? Hmmm. Will have a test ride and a think.

The 5-series is in a weird no man's land, no? Bigger than a sporty sedan needs to be (3-series), not nearly as luxe as a 7-series, which is not a whole lot bigger. Why not do the 330e?

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

KillHour posted:

NASA is the gold standard, IME. They take safety very seriously and make everyone start in group 1, which has a classroom session after every time on track and a dedicated instructor who will always be in your car with you until they decide you're ready to move up to group 2.

https://members.drivenasa.com/events

Also, join us in the track day and racing thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490129&pagenumber=131#lastpost

Edit: SSCA might be bigger than NASA on the west coast but I haven't run with them before so I can't offer any advice there.
NASA's big in Norcal. They are excellent, sometimes sticklers but in a good way

Also the Hooked on Driving guys are super chill and IMO no less safe

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Turn signals are one of those things that did not need to be reengineered by brain genious Germans but they did anyway, because they're arrogant, and made it worse. See also: seat modules.

I got used to the turn signals in my E88 pretty fast, but what is it about seat modules that ze Germans have screwed up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

KillHour posted:

I-5 on the way back down
Willow Ranch BBQ in Buttonwillow on the way back, if that's something you like. I've been going for the last decade