Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Hi guys, I've always kind of lurked this thread but now I am actually looking at getting a car so...here goes.

I've been looking around for a car to learn how to wrench on, and several people here on AI and in person have included e30's in their short lists. I've found this one that I'm going to look at next weekend. The stuff (s)he lists are pretty common problems, and I feel like I have some idea of what to look for as far as bushings/rust/etc.

I guess I kind of want to know if you guys think I should go for it, or maybe look for a bit newer one for a bit more money. I plan on offering $500 and seeing what they come back with. I really don't want to spend more that $1500 all told if I look for a newer one.

edit: the car is a 5-speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Thanks for the replies. I have actually been looking at San Antonio, Austin and even Dallas. I actually did get to look at the car today, and there was a lot of rust on it that I didn't see in the pictures. I'm no Sockington, so I took a pass on the car.

As far as $1500, that's what I've got budgeted for the purchase price of the car. I have plenty squared away to fix what needs fixing, and another reliable (Toyota) daily driver so I shouldn't have to worry about garaging anything while I learn how to fix poo poo. All said, I'll probably narrow my search to one of the late 80's models with the inline 6, 5 speed and 2 doors.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I'm having a hell of a time replacing an HID headlight in my '04 330Ci. I've got the old parts out. I can get the bulb in and the retaining ring in, no problem there.

The trouble I'm having is getting the igniter installed. When I line up the tabs with the slots its like I cannot get it pressed in enough to turn the igniter to lock it into place. I took everything apart and put it together out of the car and what I found is that the bulb seats very firmly inside the igniter. I'm guessing the problem is I can't press it in hard enough to get it to seat completely when its in the housing...there's not a lot of room to work with in there.

Are there any tips or tricks to this? I can't believe I've fought this fucker for 30 minutes and can't get the drat thing installed.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

also: dear god, is Mobil 1 really $9/qt?!
I bought Mobil 1 0w40 at O'Reilly's a week or two ago and yes, it was something like $8.79/qt. (Texas)

I was at Wal-Mart the other day and I happened to walk by the oils aisle, and saw the same Mobil 1 0w40 for like $6.80/qt. They also had a couple other weights of Mobil 1, two of them were available in gallons. Check out Wal-Mart if you want to save a few bucks, I wish I had.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I've got a 2004 330Ci that I purchased in December '10. Its coming up on 75,000 miles and I am going to go ahead and do a complete cooling system refresh on it, as I have no idea if it's been done before and I'd rather be safe than sorry. I've found a DIY guide here that I'm going to go by unless someone has one that they'd recommend. I also found a DIY to remove the fan and shroud on bimmerforums (my car is an automatic) so I'll be using that advice for that part of the procedure as well as getting the tools needed for removal. The parts kit I'm probably going to get is this one unless someone has a better suggestion. Pelican Parts has a kit available but it costs more and does not come with the expansion tank, however it does come with the fan removal tools.

Is there an advantage in going with the metal water pump over the composite? The one from the link above is OEM so I'm guessing it's the composite variety. I'm not afraid of replacing it again in ~60k miles so if the only advantage of the metal one is longer life than that's not my greatest concern.

Also, what other maintenance should I do while I'm there? I plan on doing the belts as well, should I be looking at pulley/tensioner replacement as well? Thanks in advance for any advice.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
My car wouldn't start during my lunch break and I had it towed back to the (boat) shop I work at after we tried using a start assist and jumping it using another vehicle.

We checked the fuses that would apply and checked the battery with a meter. Fuses were good and the battery is holding the correct voltage and amperage.

When the key is turned, you can hear one click coming from the engine, it doesn't try to turn over or anything. I'm thinking we need to check the wiring to the starter first off, but is there anything else common that I can check as well?

Car is an '04 330Ci.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Crustashio posted:

Unless you plan on running it into the ground/using it as a total beater I'd never buy a car with body damage. That asking price is absolutely hilarious too. I've seen 330s in good shape listed for that.
The car appears to be for sale from a dealership, so I doubt they will come down from nearly 9k to anywhere near $4000. Do what everyone's saying and find a better priced car. Definitely check Austin's Craigslist as the guy above suggested. I'm in Houston and the cars I see on the Austin board are far and away better than the ones here.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Since we're talking about DICE and stuff, can anyone recommend the easiest to install adapter that will work on an e46 with Nav and a 6-disc trunk mounted changer? I don't care if I lose the cd player.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Do you live in Austin, TX?

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/2967081056.html

I do not know the poster of this ad nor have I ever seen this car in person. Just thought someone might like to look at the ad.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Noise Complaint posted:

http://www.rubmw.ru/vincode/eng/

This is the link to the site that tells you the options your car has with the last 7 digits of your VIN.

Mine was optioned with the LSD. That's kind of awesome.
I've got a 2004 330Ci and I put my VIN into this and it doesn't seem to list the packages that come equipped, just the individual options.

Is there any way to tell whether a car has the Sport/Premium/Cold packages by stuff that's on the car? I'm just interested in knowing what packages are on my car.

edit: Here's what the site actually spits out
code:
 Options
Code

Description (interface)

Description (EPC)
S205A 	 AUTOMATIC GETRIEBE 	 Automatic transmission
S403A 	 GLASDACH, ELEKTRISCH 	 Glass roof, electrical
S441A 	 RAUCHERPAKET 	 Smoker package
S459A 	 SITZVERSTELLUNG, ELEKTR.MIT MEMORY 	 Seat adjustment, electric, with memory
S481A 	 SPORTSITZE FUER FAHRER/BEIFAHRER 	 Sports seat
S494A 	 SITZHEIZUNG FUER FAHRER/BEIFAHRER 	 Seat heating driver/passenger
S508A 	 PARK DISTANCE CONTROL (PDC) 	 Park Distance Control (PDC)
S521A 	 REGENSENSOR 	 Rain sensor
S522A 	 XENON-LICHT 	 Xenon Light
S524A 	 ADAPTIVES KURVENLICHT 	 Adaptive Headlights
S534A 	 KLIMAAUTOMATIK 	 Automatic air conditioning
S609A 	 NAVIGATIONSSYSTEM PROFESSIONAL 	 Navigation system Professional
S640A 	 AUTOTELEFONVORBEREITUNG 	 Preparation f tel.installation universal
S650A 	 CD-LAUFWERK 	 CD player
S674A 	 HIFI-SYSTEM HARMAN/KARDON 	 Hi-Fi system Harman Kardon
Code

Description (interface)

Description (EPC)
S692A 	 CD WECHSLER I-BUS VORBEREITUNG 	 Preparation, BMW 6-CD changer I-bus
S785A 	 WEISSE BLINKLEUCHTEN 	 White direction indicator lights
S788A 	 M LEICHTMETALLRAEDER 	 BMW LA wheel, Individual
S925A 	 VERSANDSCHUTZPAKET 	 Dispatch protection pack
S926A 	 ERSATZRAD 	 Spare wheel

Close  Standard equipment
Code

Description (interface)

Description (EPC)
S210A 	 DYNAMISCHE STAB. CONTROL (DSC) 	 Dynamic stability control
S249A 	 MULITFUNKTION FUER LENKRAD 	 Multifunction f steering wheel
S255A 	 SPORT-LEDERLENKRAD 	 Sports leather steering wheel
S354A 	 GRUENKEIL-FRONTSCHEIBE 	 Windscreen, green-tinted upper strip
S473A 	 ARMAUFLAGE VORN 	 Armrest front
S520A 	 NEBELSCHEINWERFER 	 Fog lights
S550A 	 BORDCOMPUTER 	 On-board computer
S645A 	 RADIO-STEUERUNG US 	 BMW US Radio
S823A 	 HEISSLAND-AUSFUEHRUNG 	 Hot-climate version
S832A 	 BATTERIE IM KOFFERRAUM 	 Battery in luggage compartment
S845A 	 AKUSTISCHE GURTWARNUNG 	 Acoustic fasten seat belt reminder
S853A 	 SPRACHVERSION ENGLISCH 	 Language version, English
S876A 	 FUNKFREQUENZ 315 MHZ 	 Radio frequency 315 MHz
S992A 	 STEUERUNG KENNZEICHENBEFESTIGUNG 	 Control of number-plate attachment

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 20, 2012

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Guinness posted:

I also have a 2004 330Ci, and here's a few tips for identifying packages:

The most obvious giveaways for the sport package are the italic numbering/lettering on the gauges, and the "3 spoke" (but the middle/bottom spoke is split, kind of making 4 spokes...) sport steering wheel. Also, the sport seats with much improved bolstering and support.

The cold package will have heated seats, a ski bag passthrough, and headlight washers.

The premium package will have the auto-dimming mirror, rain-sensing wipers, and powered seats.

Here's pretty much the ultimate collection of E46-specific information out there: http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php?title=BMW_E46
Thanks for that info. Apparently I have the sport package and premium package as I have all those items. Only one I'm now confused about is the Cold Weather package. I have the heated seats and the ski bag pass-through, but do not have the headlight washers. Really I guess it doesn't matter. Thanks again.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I have a problem with my car and I am having trouble trying to find any info using google.

The car is a 2004 330Ci with Auto transmission.

The car starts up and idles ok. When driving, it seems like it has trouble shifting, and when I get to around 1800-2200 RPM it kind of acts like its losing power instead of shifting to the next gear. If I depress the throttle as if I was going to accelerate to make a pass, the engine seems to bog down. If I just ease the throttle, it will go up and I had no problem driving it on the highway home. Also, I don't know if this is me just noticing it or if this is a problem, but the MPG needle seems to peg out at the 12 or under side a lot now.

The car has about 80k miles. I've owned it for about a year and a half. I had the inspection 2 done at 75k and aside from oil, I have not had any service done. I do not have service history before I bought the car.

Any help? Planning on calling a shop a couple blocks from me tomorrow to see what they say, but if you guys have any info that'd be neat.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

juche mane posted:

Do you get any CEL?
No lights of any kind on the dash, and no abnormal noise coming from the engine/drivetrain that I can tell while driving the car.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Nitr0 posted:

Well it's pretty ingenuine to say that $50 is all you're paying when the difference is $3k in your purchase price of a CPO vs non CPO.

On the flip side to a completely anecdotal evidence. I bought a n54 with 30k miles and now has 70k miles on it and was given the option to CPO it. I chose no and put the money in a separate account in case of problems. So far the water pump died and that's it. Will something else happen in the last 30k miles that the CPO would have covered? Who knows. Also be sure to read the CPO terms cause it doesn't cover a lot of things you think it might.
I've read before a lot of advice that says to put away the cash in an account to sort of create your own "warranty" pool of money. It's not bad advice, especially if you can do the work yourself and just have to buy parts. However, not everyone's got a couple grand to set aside at the time they purchase a vehicle and if they can roll a CPO warranty into the finance they may choose to go that route. You're essentially taking a gamble if you go CPO that something will go wrong with the car and you'll get value back for your money.

As far as the problem I posted a few posts above, I had to run the car this morning. When I first turned it on I let it idle for a couple minutes. Not long after it started, there was a bit of a shudder that caused vibration in the car. After that, it seemed to idle like it always has. On the short drive, I noticed no problems but only got up to about 50mph and not over 2500-2800rpm. On my way home, when I started the car, there was another, shorter, shudder at idle and again had no problems on the drive. I'm doubtful this is a problem that's just going to go away, but if I can troubleshoot and fix it myself I'd much rather do that than take it to a shop.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Binge posted:

I have an 04 325xi, and have the same issue it appears. I have been lead to believe its the VANOS seals. I called my dealership today about it, and they want to check it out before they'll tell me if it's covered under warranty.

When I read the symptoms part of this VANOS Replacement, it was exactly what my car is doing.
Yeah, that Symptoms list describes what my car is doing pretty well. I had always read that VANOS problems were accompanied by a rattle like marbles in a coffee can, so I didn't think that's what it could have been.

You mention warranty...do you have an extended warranty? Or is this something that anyone can call a dealership about and they might cover it more like a service bulletin or a recall? I guess I'll call the closest dealership tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Crustachio: That is an awesome looking car, shame about the wheels but I agree that color suits it quite nicely.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Binge posted:

I have an 04 325xi, and have the same issue it appears. I have been lead to believe its the VANOS seals. I called my dealership today about it, and they want to check it out before they'll tell me if it's covered under warranty.

When I read the symptoms part of this VANOS Replacement, it was exactly what my car is doing.
Binge, have you had your car in to the shop yet? If so, what did they say? I'm taking mine in this evening after work and they're going to look at it in the morning. My CEL has come on at this point, but the car is acting the same it has since the problem started.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Binge posted:

No I have not yet. It's hard for me to leave it for a day, and I'm going to tackle the whole thing by myself. I'm going to buy the DrVanos unit, and replace it myself. If the garage does it, they're just going to fix the seals, and I want an entire new unit. I'm just waiting for it not to be 90 degrees everyday before I begin, which will probably bring me into early fall, since I also need to buy lots of tools as well.
BMW dealership I took my car to just called me and told me my fuel pump is going out, it's not supplying enough pressure. Luckily I got an extended warranty when I bought my car and it's going to be covered. Since your car was doing about the same thing mine was you might think about at least taking yours in for diagnostic.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

fack you posted:

Talk me out of buying an E38.

Whenever I look at cars on Craigslist, I always look at the E38 ads to see if they have those wheels, but they never do. If I saw one cheap with those wheels I'd be tempted as well.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
An rear end in a top hat has decided to run into and proceed to break the driver's door mirror on my e46 330Ci.

The stud broke from the inside, so the mirror is loose and pulled away from the door on the front side. Additionally, there is a small vertical blemish on each side of the door/fender. All in all, for getting hit, it's not that bad. But they didn't leave a note or anything.

I've been looking at Pelican and a couple other sites, and it looks like I can get a mirror for a couple hundred bucks. The other option would be to go with something aftermarket. Does anyone have any recommendations? Also how do you guys feel about putting M3 mirrors on...rice?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Bank posted:

If you're up for rattle canning the mirror, try RockAuto. Not sure what year your 330Ci is, but I see a driver's side mirror on there (unpainted) for $126.79. It's power/heated but no memory.
Yeah, no matter what I get (unless I find some used one somewhere) it's going to need paint. I have a hook up for paint so that's no worry. I'll take a look at the Rock Auto ones, thanks.

Dantu posted:

Hey, since you have to replace a mirror anyways, why not look at M3 mirrors?

revmoo posted:

M3 mirrors ok, everything else not ok.
I will probably go this route then. I usually look over my shoulder instead of using my mirror out of habit, had a blind spot accident shortly after I started driving, so their size isn't that big of a deal to me.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Looks like the one on the left has an exposed turn signal bulb in a reflective bowl type housing. The one on the right appears to be a housing with a lens covering a bulb. The one on the right is most likely a cheap(er) knock off or aftermarket part, like has been suggested. I don't know what the laws in your state are, but I'm sure the insurance company wouldn't be happy they paid $1200 for that.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Shadowhand00 posted:

I picked up Hankook Ventus V12s for my car. I'll be honest - I couldn't tell you the difference between tires because I never had absolutely new Pilot Sports or anything else. That being said, they got a pretty decent review from C&D:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/hankook-ventus-v12-evo-page-10
I have an '04 330Ci and I, too, recently put on a set of Hankook Ventus V12's. Previously, the car had Continental Extremecontact DSW's. The DSW's I drove for a bit less than 2 years. The V12's I've had for about 500 miles.

When I first got the V12's, the car felt sloppy. It's kind of hard to describe, but the tires just felt like they weren't as sure-footed as the DSW's were. Over time, their feel has gotten a bit better (do tires need a break-in period?). I chose the V12's because they were inexpensive and they had some good reviews online. Whether I'd do it again...I am not entirely sure. If the tires have a bit more break in left and they get a bit better, I'd do it again. If they have finally reached their plateau, I wouldn't say I would be 100% pleased. I got them at roughly $105 per tire. I'd probably move up to something a bit nicer.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Crustashio posted:

Tires need a breakin, but only a few hundred miles. And yes, the V12s are sloppy (mine are 225/50/16). They got good reviews online in terms of raw time comparisons but the feedback is pretty terrible. Autocrossed quite a bit and did one trackday on my e36 328is. After having star specs on my ZHP, and the pilot sports on the M3 I'd never buy V12s again.

Although I will give them credit for being really good in the rain when pushed.
Thanks for the reply. I have driven them in a couple torrential downpours and yea, they are good in the wet. Good thing I don't do too much spirited driving or I'd have to save up for another set of tires.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Alright, question. I've got a buddy with an e46 and since I also have one, and I "read about cars all the time on the Internet" he thinks I know everything. He has had the yellow oil light coming on that means you're supposed to top up your oil for a while and he finally decided to ask me what it means. I asked him how long it had been coming on and he said "I don't know, a month or two?"

Really what my question is, is should I simply tell him to add some oil? Or if he's been running slightly low for a while, should he do a full change and look for metal? I don't want to suggest something that could overlook a larger problem.

I have another question about my car ('04 330Ci). The rubber trim around the rear side windows is horribly weathered and I am either having trouble finding it online or it's priced incredibly high. The one I find on Pelican is like a couple hundred bucks. I'm thinking I am looking at the chrome trim, not the rubber part. Any help looking up this part? I can provide a picture if necessary.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
So I've been having an intermittent no-start problem with my '04 330Ci automatic. I got in it the other day and when I turned the key, the starter didn't engage, didn't click or anything. No noise or action from the engine. All my electronics and lights and everything worked. I thought it may be a weak battery so I got that tested and they told me it was ok. Took the battery home, put it back into the car, boom, started right up with no hesitation. Since then, it's been on and off for the past week and I've been driving our shop's truck so I don't get stranded anywhere. Last night and this morning it's started a handful of times with no failures. The ONLY thing that has changed is we had our first cold snap of the year here, temps got into the mid to high 20's at night then back into the 50's during the day. I don't know if that would have anything to do with this, I doubt it.

Do you guys know of anything I could check? I've looked around online and the most common things people seem to say are check the battery, and that this seems to be a known problem with this particular car and no one knows why, but it will come and go away at random.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Thanks for your advice. I will pick up a new battery on my way home tonight and check/clean/grease the cables on both ends.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Keyser, Motronic, Lowclock, thanks for your advice. I put a new battery in the car and checked the cables, etc. and haven't had any issues since. Really appreciate the help!

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
My car decided to give me a present for New Year's. This is the '04 330Ci that I was having a starting issue with and putting a new battery in it seemed to sort it out a few weeks ago.

Anyway, I got in to drive to my parents house this evening and the car started up fine. It wasn't until driving a few minutes and getting on the highway that I noticed the speedo not working, it was just sitting at zero. A minute or two after that, the radio went off (Nav unit). The radio then came back on, but a few lights on my cluster came on too: The Traction Control light, the BRAKE light, and the little cog with exclamation point next to the gearshift indicator. The other two went away after a minute, but the cog next to the gearshift indicator stayed.

I've done some reading and it seems the transmission went into limp mode, and that matches with what the car was doing. It didn't downshift, pulling away from stoplight was very slow. Once I got to my parents house (maybe 10 minute drive total from mine to theirs), I parked it and then tried to start it. It seemed like the starter was trying to turn over but didn't go all the way. I waited a while then tried it again, and the cog light had gone away but it still isn't fully turning over.

I guess I just wanted to post and see how hosed you guys think I am. Car's going to the dealership tomorrow. My extended warranty either expired at the beginning of December or I have one more year on it, I have to check on that in the morning too.

:smith:

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 2, 2013

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Motronic posted:

You need an alternator. Possibly a battery also.

More importantly.....if you're out of warranty why the hell are you going to the dealer? You should figure warranty status out FIRST.
Yeah, I am going to figure out the warranty status first. But if the most likely failure is the alternator, I'll just order one up and replace that. They look to be around 300 or so from Pelican/BAV Auto including the core charge, so that's not TOO bad of a hit to take.

As an aside, I asked for a Bentley manual for my car for Christmas and ended up receiving a Haynes Manual. What are the differences, and is the Haynes worth a drat? I checked out the Alternator Replacement and it seems to be the same as what I've managed to scour up online. All the alternator DIY's online are bad though, maybe I'll try to document mine fairly well and post it up.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Motronic posted:

- Warranty status first. If in warranty, go to dealer and say "fix it". If out of warranty, continue on to....
Turns out my warranty is good until 12/2016 or 100,000 miles whichever comes first so the car's going to the dealership.

Thanks for taking time to reply to me.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Turns out my warranty is good until 12/2016 or 100,000 miles whichever comes first so the car's going to the dealership.

Thanks for taking time to reply to me.
Got my car back yesterday. They diagnosed a bad starter. I asked them to check the alternator and they said they did. The car seems to be back to normal so that's good.

They also replaced the thermostat housing and thermostat and the oil filter housing gasket - both under my extended warranty.

Next up: New brake pads! Anyone got any recommendation? I don't track the car or auto-x or anything, and I'd like something that makes a bit less dust than the factory pads.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Deceptor101 posted:

My apartment officially says no working on cars. That didn't stop me from having valve covers, intake manifold and the whole fuel injection system laying around. I cleaned up when I was done every day and wasn't loud and mostly people just told me "good luck fixing it"
I've done a few minor maintenance things in my apartment parking lot. It's funny how most people's reaction to seeing someone working on a BMW is "wow, he must be screwed...good luck buddy!" I guess it has something to do with the reputation of foreign cars and them breaking down a lot and being expensive to repair.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
After work on Saturday afternoon, I got in my car and when I put it in Drive, there was a bit of an odd clunk and nothing happened. I tried it in Reverse, same thing. I turned it off and got out to investigate. This is what I found:

Someone had jacked the car up and removed the lug studs, then set it down and left it like that. You can see the spot in the second picture where they cleared out the gravel and put a jack there, like they even knew where to put it. No idea why they left it like they did. My car was the only one parked in that area as I was one of three people at work at the time. The area behind our shop is a pretty bad area, the cops/EMS/fire trucks are usually out several times a month. I'm just glad they didn't take the lug studs, I would have been hitching a ride to the dealership if that were the case.

Travolta's line from Pulp Fiction has been going through my head. You just don't gently caress with someone's car, man.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Crustashio posted:

That is so loving wierd, because they would have had to know how to do the stupid balancing trick with the wheel while letting the car down. It even looks like they used the proper factory jack point too. Aborted wheel theft?
Yeah, my boss who had just left but came back to check out what happened said it looked like someone was in the process of trying to take it but got scared off.

Does anyone have any experience with any wheel locks like this? I know real car thiefs can get around them, but it'll keep away most people.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
While I was leaving work tonight an e46 drove by and went to the apartments at the end of the street. The car looks like it was used in a car chase in a movie...taped plastic covered windows, dents ALL OVER every panel, and the same loving wheels as my car. Wouldn't be surprised in the least if it was those guys who were trying to take my wheel and probably got stopped for whatever reason. I would hazard to guess their car probably has at least one bent wheel judging the condition of it. Looks like my car's staying in an empty shop bay for a while.

BraveUlysses posted:

Are you sure it's not one of your friends loving around with you?
Yeah, I'm sure. I don't know what kind of friends you have but mine don't gently caress with people's cars.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

revmoo posted:

Those are only for test drives.
:drat:

But yeah, if you can't wrench on the car at all, buy an old Japanese Import or something with similar reliability. The car will have stuff go wrong, and like has been said before, the parts are comparatively cheap but paying shop labor will kill you in the end.

But, if you have a friend who knows how to work on cars and he is able to be persuaded to work on stuff for beer and stuff, that might tip the scale into the "yeah, get the car" side of the equation.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
That's the same cupholder we sell at work for boats. They are neat and work well, but be careful because those little arms will break eventually.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

Even with zero out of pocket you can lease a base E92 M3 for less than $750 a month. He should net around $1800 after taxes per month. Doable. Dumb, but doable.

Also, insurance.
So if he's working 40 hrs/week ($600) that's roughly $2400/month gross...banks will let you lease a car for roughly 1/3 your gross pay?

Also, car washers/porters make $15/hr??? Man, I've got to move from the marine service industry into the automotive.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
For a clean, one owner car with maintenance records and hooooooo, that seems like a really good price.

As an aside, why do you all seem to prefer the cloth seats? I've seen a lot of posts about M3's with cloth sport seats and really the only other seats I hear talked about are the Vaders. What gives? As the Big Tymers once said, "No itch, strictly leather."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Isn't nav standard in M cars for like the past 10 years?
I'm indifferent to what is inside my car as long as it works.
Conversely, the NAV package in my 2004 330Ci is hugely out of date and ugly and the screen sucks and basically there's nothing good about it! Half the roads in my area aren't even in the thing because there has been so much development in the area, and there continues to be.

Google Maps on my iPhone has everything though.