Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
What's the general opinion on AWD BMWs? My dad is apparently considering buying a 2005 330xi sedan with an automatic. I know BMW isn't known for their AWD system, but it's not junk, is it? Also, is the automatic that bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

two_beer_bishes posted:

I've had a MarkD chip in my E30 (M20B27 325e) for a few years running 91 octane. I'm prepping the car to drive 2200 miles in 2 months and I can't find the original chip to put back in to run 87 for the drive (just to help with gas costs). What could go wrong if I run 87 in my car if its chipped to run 91? Pretty sure this car is too old to have any knock sensor capabilities but I could be wrong.

I'm not sure about the chip, but you know the difference in gas will be under $20, right?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

The BMW thread. Pimpin' in 2k shitbox with a broken cooling system ain't easy. :smug:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My dad is starting to look at replacing his 1999 Passat with a newer car. He's the type of person that buys a 2 year old car and drives it in to the ground. How likely is it that he'll be able to buy a 1-2 year old 5-series and drive it for the next 10 years with only regular maintenance? I know E39s had a good rep, but are there many early E60s out there? Are F10s going to be much different?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Funzo posted:

Got bit by the GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM. E90 overheated on the way to Madison today. Waiting for a tow this very moment. I got off the road pretty much immediately after the warning came up, so I hope I avoided any real damage. Where do I start trying to find the problem? I noticed the heater stopped working properly a few minutes before the warning came on if that makes a difference.

So I guess you picking me up from the airport is a no?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Das Volk posted:

As I fail to understand my family's love of the old muscle cars, I'm sure my kids will wonder why dad hangs on to that old V8 powered thing with its hydraulic steering and lack of electric assist motors.

I'm bummed out that by the time I'm ready to buy a new car in 3-5 years the 911, cayman, and m4 are all going to have eps. :(

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Keep in mind that the e46 is an old car right now. In 3 years' time even the newest one is going to be 11 years old, with an average one being 15. Dream cars have a way of becoming nightmares when they get older and break. On the bright side, e92 m3s will have dropped in price even more.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Mar 2, 2014

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Powershift posted:

Your brain seems to have broken. Don't worry, mine does this all the time.

It's 2014, 2015 model year, a 2007 is an 8 year old car. If this were the year 2000, it would be a 1992.

I hate when I do this and I swear it's something about the year 2000. I have to keep reminding myself that even cars from 2010 are now coming up on 5 years old.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
This thread has become everything it should be.

The M2 looks fantastic.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

sofullofhate posted:

Friends, I have a problem - the series-snobbery hasn't elucidated the status of Z-cars, nor M-cars. I have no idea to whom I should be bowing / scraping and to whom I may gaze downwards / sneer at. A little help, please?

PS if it helps I'm a poor who parks his car in a common shared lot that isn't even attached to his apartment building. :( :(

New m3s are okay, old m3s(e46 and below) are only ok if they're not your primary car and in the process of restoration/track conversion.

Hth

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Nait Sirhc posted:

I just bought a 2003 745i for a stupidly low price. Like, really, ridiculously stupid low. Gave them my 330i too as a trade, so I upgraded 415i's!

more pictures when I go pick it up tomorrow

Does it come with the original wheels?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Nait Sirhc posted:

Dirt cheap comedy-option E65 2002 BMW 745i update (7 days of ownership so far):

This car is so goddamn comfortable. I get in it and all of my worries go away. Traffic no longer bothers me.

It is just bliss sitting behind the wheel of one of these cars.

i am harry posted:

Two weeks ago I drove to Houston and bought a 2002 530i with 112k miles on it for $6k

Amber warning light and "ABS" and "BRAKE" lights are coming on, which I read in the manuals indicates a malfunction in the DSC/ABS system, with no affect on old-fashioned foot-on-pedal breaking. I took it to the nearest BMW dealership yesterday, and they're ordering a part and pressurizing the breaking system (or something...all of this is totally over my head as I know nothing about fixing cars). That should run close to $2000.

I love these posts being so close to each other.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

I love these posts being so close to each other.

Nait Sirhc posted:

My e65 745i gives me a "Dynamic Drive inactive!" error anytime I really push it hard into corners and get body roll. Anyone know what that's about?

So April 29th to May 7th is 9 days. We almost made it double digits!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Cojawfee posted:

How do you deal with the shame of being poor? I've tinted the windows of my 135 to nearly black and I wear a ski mask whenever I get out and walk into or out of my apartment. I don't want anyone to know I drive a poormobile.

Man, the new title is really cutting some people deep.

dissss posted:

Or a Lexus or Mercedes which do the comfortable, high quality interior thing much better than any BMW

I just sat in a co-workers new GS350 and was amazed at just how much better it felt inside than the new 5-series.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Das Volk posted:

So Lexus finally got rid of those awful faux-whatever plastics and rounded 90s gumdrop buttons? I haven't been in a recent one but Lexus interiors have been really dated and Toyota-y inside well into the 2000s.

Seems like it, and looks like the reviewers agree too. I just took a look and most reviewers not only impressed by how good the interior is but how well it compares to the 5-series in terms of power, handling, and overall dynamics. It's won quite a few comparison tests.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Viper_3000 posted:

How much do you want to spend on maintenance a year? Because that makes your decision real easy.

Seriously. The M3 is coming up on 10 years old, and even the 2010 is likely getting to the point where some larger maintenance is coming up. Are you able to do the work yourself?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Nait Sirhc posted:

Beater 7s are amazing. It's hard for people to get past the stories of whiny owners that scream "oh man, the 12-way reclinable power seat whatever 9-billion-multifunction seat controller doesn't extend ALL THE WAY, but only 90% of the WAY! man I better go out and drop $4200 at the dealer to have the whole system replaced!"

The car will more than likely run and drive forever. If you're a sperglord that insists on every single feature in your car working exactly the way it did from day one, then don't buy a used 7-series.

The navigation unit in an e65/e66 BMW is a horrible clunky piece of poo poo compared to even the worst of aftermarket TomTom GPS units, or Apple/Google Maps. I have no idea if mine even works because it takes 10 minutes to input an address into it; meanwhile, it takes a few seconds to ask Siri.

They blow the 300 away in terms of comfort, driveability, power, bang-for-the-buck etc. There is no "slow" e65/e66, but there are lots of V6 300s out there. I like the 300; if the 1st-gen SRT8 would have had about 100hp more, I might have picked one up instead of the E55 AMG. I wouldn't ever compare the 300 with a 7 though; they're different leagues in terms of everything except "oh that's a big car"

also by owning a 7 series even if its crap you still get to act smug and talk down to your former BMW allies as the one-eyed man amongst the blind

You're being a bit generous here. Half of AI drives miatas or e30s, so I'm sure they're used to not having every last thing working in their cars and they're not just being debbie-downers. Beyond the "usual" stuff going wrong in the 7-series, (which has the 7-series tax), there are tons of little things that are more complicated than in regular cars and may or may not be vital to the function of the car.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Nait Sirhc posted:

People were doing this like 10 thread pages ago.

People who don't have a 7 series.

And it's still the right response? Suggesting that people on a low budget should buy an old 7-series as their primary mode of transportation is kind of a bad idea. If you're ok with lots of little (and sometimes big) poo poo breaking/being broken and only repairing the critical stuff then sure, go hog wild and be that guy driving around in the 7-series with a broken taillight and barely functioning dash.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
http://madison.craigslist.org/cto/4682447848.html

540i ... check
manual ... check
$2900 ... check

I really need to stop cruising craigslist. Buying a 15 year old BMW would be a terrible mistake.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Jonny 290 posted:

Buying a 15 year old BMW is pretty much the same as buying a 4 year old BMW. Put a new cooling system in and step on the gas.

That's a decent deal if you can turn a wrench.

Unfortunately I live in an apartment and turning a wrench is hard in the garage here. :(

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

This guy is the target market for the "stop loving up the M cars with lux goods and make a different high spec prestige line like Alpina from the factory that doesn't come with things that ruin it for people who don't want a sports car."

I totally get it.

Today, the BMW thread learns that the BMW target market does give a poo poo about rusty E30s, old 540s, or M3s.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

CornHolio posted:

god dammit Jalopnik

That's the exact year of my 540i, same price I paid three years ago, and the same mileage as my car, nearly. I have to pick NP because I want to believe I could sell my car for that much, even if it's in the shop and has rust and has a notchy shifter and needs front brakes and...

I have a feeling most people are choosing nice price without actually checking how much that car's really worth.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Paradoxish posted:

Depends on location. $6k for an e39 540i 6-speed in good condition would be a pretty good price in my area. I was looking at 540s before I decided on another E46, and well-maintained examples that haven't been beat to hell go for anywhere from $5k to $8k around here. You can buy a beater 540 for nothing, but you won't find an example that's actually been cared for cheap.

I dunno, from the sound of it the guy's selling it because he can't afford the maintenance, so who knows how much it needs.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I'm not sure I'll ever understand leasing (unless your company or business pays for it). Maybe I haven't been caught up in a situation where a newer car saw a lot of depreciation. I sold the Boxster Spyder for $4k less than I paid after two years but I suppose that was a special case.

The math just never seems to work out. Admittedly with a conventional loan you pay more while you have the car but you typically recoup more of it after the sale. With leases it's just all gone, forever (plus damages or over mileage). I've just never been in a situation where I lost a lot of money between the purchase and eventual sale of a car. Maybe I'll feel that pain when I pay full price for a brand new German car and try to sell it a few years later.

Good point about the residual rate on the Alfa. Might make a better CPO car in 2-3 years? Unfortunately we need people that do not fear depreciation to buy them. It's tough to shake a reputation it seems.

The thing that people always miss when talking about leasing is that you aren't left with nothing, you're left with the option to buy the car out at a price that was predetermined years ago. That price can be the same, higher, or lower than what the car is actually worth now. In some cases, that can work to your benefit (people who leased escalades when fuel prices went up). Sometimes leasing works out better than buying. Sometimes the reverse is true. Both are always going to be more expensive than buying a beater miata/bmw.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Interesting... I guess I'll need to research the refundable security deposits for a lease?

When the time comes I plan to trade my current car and let's just say it'll be, roughly, half of what the F80 will cost. In that case, financing the rest over leasing is going to be the proper course of action, correct?

Maybe. Again, that's completely dependent on the deal you can get financing versus the deal you can get leasing.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
The issue with the E46 for me is that in the absolute best case, you're buying a 10 year old car. That means that in many cases you're not just replacing the GDCS, but you're getting the the point where a lot of other things could use a refresh, the suspension/various bushings could be replaced, the cluster pixels are broken, the seats/interior may be falling apart, etc.

When you start adding up all of those things you start asking yourself what the point is of putting a few thousand in to a car that in the end will still be a 10+ year old car, with the maintenance issues that are inherent to it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
How are E92 M3s holding up these days? Part of me is intrigued about owning that great V8, but they seem to be getting to that age where maintenance might start being an issue.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I have a buddy that bought an e46 M3 with 32k miles for $26k last year. At the time I thought he was insane paying that much but now it's looking like a bargain. Honestly if I didn't need to fit a rear-facing car set in the back I'd probably be looking at an e46. I think the E90 is just big enough to handle one without forcing the front seat too far forward but I don't get the impression the e46 can accommodate.

But a manual E90 with less than 50k miles is looking to be in the 35-40 range now. Which is fine really... I haven't found anything else on the market that can do what it does. It's worth a few bucks to find a good example and I feel like they've done a majority of the depreciating that they're going to do. It also opens up my budget for a track car next year.

I'm looking to pick something up within the next year or so and can't decide between an E92 (or possibly an M4) and a Cayman GTS. That V8 is calling to me, but the E92s aren't getting any younger and the fact that Porsche's moving to Turbo-4s is making me lean towards the Cayman.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

A friend of mine talked me out of getting a new M3 by saying it would depreciate enough in two years to buy a nice S2000.

If you're trying to decide between the E92 or a 981 GTS I'd get the Porsche every single time. If I didn't need functional back seats I'd be searching for a 997.2 C2S. Four years ago I bought a Boxster Spyder and it was simply phenomenal. Brilliant on the track and compliant on the street. It was my daily driver for two years. The 981 GTS would be very similar. Personally I couldn't bring myself to spend the 70-80k most of them are going for but I tend to shy away from newer cars unless they're going to hold their value (which the Spyder did). Staying with the Cayman family I'd pick up an R with LWB for low 60s if I had to spend that much. Low 50s gets you a manual Spyder with buckets. If I had 75-80 to spend on a Porsche right now I'd hand it to the first 997.1 GT3 I saw in that range that passed PPI.

Any chance you have PMs or an e-mail? Don't want to clutter the BMW thread up with Porsche talk.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

(Apologies for the hijack)
They got affordable for a minute and then people started losing their poo poo on any 911 that was old or special. Any 997.1 under 80 is going to have some miles (50-60k) which is perfectly ok on these motors as long as they're not track miles. At this point you're buying the previous owners more than the car. Most are in the 80 range with lower miles going for the 90s. I see some in the high 70s every so often and use that as justification think to myself I still have a chance...

They have stout engines but god forbid if something does actually go wrong with it. Engine rebuilds are in the high 20s/low 30s depending on the shop and transmissions are somewhere in the neighborhood of 15. If you can afford two you can run one, etc. etc.

pr0kjayhawk/gmail

Sent you an e-mail a few days back, thanks.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Does anyone have an idea of how far m2 allocations are going out?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Got to drive a gorgeous 6-speed M235 in Estoril Blue yesterday at the dealer, even though I made it pretty clear I was only interested in the M2. Awesome car all around, and it really looked amazing. I was surprised at how little of the engine noise got in to the cabin, even in sport mode. Still, it's a tough sell at the price, especially since the M240 just got announced with 15 more horsepower and 39 ft-lbs. Is there any difference in the interior between an M235/240 and M2?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 20, 2016

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

rolling up to take your daughters virginity

Not with that facial hair.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
How are the recent BMW X3s, as far as small SUVs go? Are there any features or packages that are a must get if purchasing new/gently used? Primary use is going to be commuting.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

concise posted:

You should probably just get a Lexus. :v:

She feels the Lexus is too soccer mom-ish.

Yeah, I know.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I hate to tell you this but there are a lot more years before those cars depreciate to that level.

:confused: Isn't that just an E9x M3? Am I missing something?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

willie_dee posted:

Your not the first person who has suggested this but sadly what ever I pick also has to be my daily driver, I'm quite keen on PASM over the Z4M's extreme harshness because other than that the Z4M is a lovely place to be interior wise.

Fwiw, I "daily drive" my Cayman.

This means I end up taking Uber to places that have sketchy parking. I'm thinking of getting a car I don't care as much about.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
There's part of me looking at the new M2 Competition wondering how it compares to my Cayman S, until I realize it still won't fit a dog easily. :sigh:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Anyone here ever drive/compare a 981 Cayman and an M2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Jealous Cow posted:

Why a 981? A 718 is pretty close in price.

I chose a 718 over an M2. The Cayman isn’t as fast but feels amazing. The mid-engine layout makes all the difference. It’s not as fun for hooning around but it takes curves and corners like nothing I’ve ever driven before.

The interior is top notch and is in a class above BMW interiors. The multimedia is disappointing though, but once you get used to iDrive they all are.

I currently have a 981 CS and may need something with 4 seats. Hopefully not.

Definitely agree about the interior. I've been pretty disappointed sitting in M2s, but admittedly haven't driven one.