Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Noeland posted:

This thing just magically appeared in my driveway, and I haven't stopped staring since.

Methinks a PNW BMW goonmeet should be in order.

PNW meet for shizzle, Merkin and I are in with good notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Alloyed posted:

And apparently dealers are having a hard time selling at that price. My brand new car, an 07 coupe:

With the sport package included, and the uber stereo, I still got it for under 36k - sticker was in the mid 40s, and this car was sitting in a mall on display because it hadn't had any interest. It is great fun! This winter was a nightmare, but with the addition of snow tires it was fine.

I do love the idea of a car even smaller than mine, with an M option, though.

Thank god you blurred the license plate -- I might have been able to steal your car if you hadn't :jerkbag:

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

hedge posted:

Awesome, but it didn't quite go according to plan. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW0IHJdlH-4

LOL! Oh no, that has to be a very :bang: moment.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

evobatman posted:

Some fun bits from Norway:

A girl I know, with a BMW cake on her birthday. She's a total BMW nut:

Her car, a 320i 2,2:

Alo belonging to a friend of mine: A 1975 BMW 3,0CSi:
- 1986 745i (M30B35 w/turbo) engine.
- Electromotive (Tec 2) engine management
- Lowering springs, special Konis.
- Recaro seats up front.
- 18" Rial wheels w/Falken tires.

He got this as a trade-in on his 2004 M3 CSL. In addition he has a 1995 M5 touring and an E30 M3.

Amazing car!

Are you sure it isn't an M30B34, the M103 out of the 745 used the B34 setup factory IIRC.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

klosterdev posted:

I hope this hasn't been posted yet

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/10/bmw-gina-light-visionary-model-revealed/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTYiEkQYhWY

Apparently BMW is making a Transformer.

"GINA is an acronym, a set of letters..." well gently caress off Bangle -- I would have never come to that conclusion/realization without your half-wit rear end.

TractionControl posted:

Am I the only one here who absolutely despises that website?

LOL -- what a loving terrible GIF!

thealphabetsez fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 14, 2008

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Mr. Toast posted:

Nice to see other e28 owners :)

I have a bunch of goodies to install for my '87 535i. Euro headlights + grills, e32 front brakes and e34 540i rears, e34 basketweaves, a Hartge spoiler, and a good amount of poly bushings. Hopefully I can find an iS airdamn too.

I have a brand new, OE E32 750 brake master cylinder I would sell you for your big brake upgrade! I never got around to installing it on my E28, but helped Merkin get his in his E24 with stock brakes, which he absolutely loves.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

multiprotocol posted:

How much are you looking for? I need a replacement MC for my E30/M52 swap.

I PM'd you a price.

Mr. Toast posted:

From what I understand, the oem 535i cylinder will work fine, reason being the e28 M5 shares the same cylinder and it works it's big brakes fine, and though I'm using e32 fronts the e28 is much lighter. From what I've read the 750 one can be detrimental to pedal feel.

There is nothing but speculation about the larger bore of the 750 MC decreasing pedal feel. Merkin is running stock brakes with his 750 MC and swears by it. I have driven his car on a regular basis and really enjoyed the responsiveness of the system when compared to my stock 535 system. Really though, it is personal preference. I bought the MC to install with my E34 M5 setup which I never got around to putting on.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

gjh posted:

Great thread so far, figured I'd post up our two cars.

02 M3, Tourmaline Violet Metallic

02 325iT

Well hello Tourmaline, any interest in letting this vehicle go?

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

gjh posted:

Thanks. This particular color was offered standard on the 2002 E65/E66 7 in the US, but that was it for us that I know of. It was offered in Singapore and Australia as a standard color on non-M E46s. A few other models in Europe got it standard as well.

In the majority of countries where BMWs are sold they offer the BMW Individual Program. The big exception is that it is not officially offered in the US. As mentioned, with the right sales person and manager, and enough handshakes and winks, you can get them to try and push one through the BMW NA system. Unfortunately, that's still not a guarantee as BMW AG will more often than not kick it back as an invalid order. But every now and then, one gets through and this is how my car came to be.

I'm the third owner of the car. The original owner (who I don't know) was able to get my car ordered through BMW Of Manhattan. As with all Individual ordered cars, exterior paint runs an additional ~$2000 and interior changes the same. So over $4000 for both. My car was only exterior, I have standard gray leather.

BMW NA has recently brought a scaled down version of the Individual program to the US, but you are limited on color choice and it's only available on the 7 series. In Europe and other countries, you can pretty much order your car in any available BMW exterior and full leather interior colors. It's my understanding (and I could be wrong) that it's this wide open choice that keeps BMW from allowing us to have this program in the US. Our consumer protection laws are such that we have an easier time backing out of a car deal. So if someone were to go into their local dealer, order up the worlds nastiest BMW color scheme and then back out of it, the dealer is holding the bag on a car that may only suit one or two peoples taste.

This program leads to some pretty nice looking cars... and ugly ones as well, IMHO such as Phoenix Yellow (standard E46 M3 color) on Laguna Seca Blue (individual).

The one way to guarantee a BMW is ugly (at least to me) is blue leather. That color combo just looks, off.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Arwox posted:

My '98 M3 that i bought about 3 weeks ago.

My one gripe is the wing that's on it. I dont know whether its stock or not. But whoever put it on didnt do a very good job. (all they used were 4 self tapping screws) But its caused small amounts of rust to form on the trunk where the screws went in.

The wing isnt obnoxious at all, and it has a brake light in it, so its not like some idiot kid threw it up. But i just cant understand why someone would go through the trouble to wire it, and mount it so wrong.

I kind of want to get the wing removed, but im not sure how much it would cost coupled with taking it to a body shop to cover up the holes, and if they could even do it well enough to where you couldnt tell anything was there.

Does the rear window have a brake light as well? If so, the wing was infact, an afterthought, otherwise it came from the factory with it.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

usurper posted:

That's a stock M3 wing. I thought the design changed by '98, though. My '95 (sold) had the same setup, and those same screws were causing rust damage around the holes. My car ALSO had 2 'third' brake lights - back window and the wing.

I was thinking that this was a dealer installed option, but by looking at the paint it looks like this was installed at the factory. I ended up selling the M3 before it got too bad. I did get a quote to have that wing pulled, those 4 holes filled/bondo'd and the deck painted: Somewhere around $500-700, if I recall.

More or less what I was trying to get at. Because of the second, third brake light, it was not a factory installed option -- maybe done at the dealership. The wing is quite sought after in anycase, and I personally find it a nice touch to the lines on the E36.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Except for the dozens I see with cheapo aftermarket ones that sag in the middle and look all :smith:

I am specifically referencing the various (LTW, GTII, pictured above) OE wings that BMW offered on the E36 chassis. I have yet to see an aftermarket, including ACS and other various high-end companies products a wing of equal quality. I cannot stand the sagging that the non oe wings fall prey to.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

TheMadMilkman posted:

Yet another tiny niche segment for BMW to move into!

I'm glad they finished that car and the end product came out quite nice (for what it is.)

VVVVV AWESOME!!!!

thealphabetsez fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 8, 2008

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Mr. Toast posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2809820&pagenumber=28&perpage=40#post348183298

I posted some pictures earlier in this thread.

It's a 21 year old car, so it needs some love - This is going to be long.

The car has minor surface rust here and there. One dent - front passenger side door. Looks like it can be popped out easy. It needs new pads and rotors soon, but I've got e32 front calipers and a discs and rear e34 540i's ready to go on when I get the time. Suspension needs attention bushing wise if you want to tighten it up. It has a sagging diff mount, I ordered one a while ago but I think Steve Haygood lost it. He was going through health problems at the time (awesome guy to buy parts from by the way). It needs a new guibo, which I have ready to go in. The brakes, \diff mount, ect were to be taken care of during winter break. Right now the car isn't driven much, being at college and living on campus. The paint isn't in great shape - quite a few places are missing clear coat. Mechanically she's sound, just needed a new clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder when I bought it. The clutch pedal bracket might be cracked - it's a bit stiff and it vibrates a bit. The tranny seems to be weeping ever so slightly - not enough to drip fluids down it seems though. This seems to be a common problem. 4th gear has a grind on hard shifting. The odo broke ~25k miles ago. It currently reads 104k or so. Interior is in so so shape. The back seats are a bit worn, but the driver's seat has some rips in the leather. Comfort interior, black and tan. Has an aftermarket headunit with an ipod jack, but it's a bit old. All electronics work, OBC is in great shape. Rear windows close slowly, but the fronts are good. A/C needs a recharge (e28 A/C is notoriously lovely even when working 100%, so I wouldn't bother.) Theres a fan for the heater that is under the stereo in the center console, which needs to be replaced. It makes an angry noise above the '1' setting so it's probably on it's way out. No cooling issues to speak of. Engine bay has caked oil here and there - the valve cover gasket had been leaking for a while. When I bought the car and had the valves adjusted the old gasket crumbled into dust. It's been replaced, and no longer leaks. Doesn't burn oil either. Power seats work, aside from the headrests.

Drivetrain wise it's pretty sound. Always starts right up, occasionally on the first crank. Doesn't burn / leak any fluids aside from the weep in the tranny. Runs nice and strong and can see ~28 mpg highway ~23 around town. No real mods aside from Euro headlights and the wheels at the moment. Got a deal on those I really couldn't pass up. Borbet Type T's, 17x8.5 front 17.9.5 rear, et13 and et17 offsets. In drat good shape, but the clearcoat on the very outer edge of the lip in the rear is peeled off a bit - some rubbing. Now that winter is here I'm putting back on the E34 basketweaves. They've got some new Khumo Ecstas on there. Oh, and it has a 330i ZHP shift knob. I love that thing - it was from my M3. To anyone disappointed with stock shift feel, nab one of those. You can find them for $54 shipped and they make SUCH a big difference. I've got a Hartge rear spoiler that needs some cracks fixed before it goes on again, got it with the car.

Here is the P.o.'s baby - an 88 535iS. He used mine ('87 535i) as a dd for 6 months before I bought it from him.

The rest here http://mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=53465

Why are you posting that poo poo here? Hurr -- intentional rust treating to my hood, big rims (lol 10" for 150ft*lbs) and stretch. As a side note, the rust bucket isn't an iS, just an i.

thealphabetsez fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 24, 2008

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004
I'm excited to have crested the first birthday marker in my E90 and resume the good times in a BMW once again. Photos will come once classes are out and I am settled in the new position.

Some info:
2010 335 (E90 LCI)
Alpine III
Black Leather
Standard 6-Speed
M Sport Package
Premium
iPod
Smart Phone

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

wolrah posted:

I tried two different headlight restore kits today, one from a company called CCP (local NE Ohio company, found at Summit Racing) that used a drill attachment like the 3M kit you used and a Rain-X kit with hand-operated pads from the local Autozone but between the two of them I got jack poo poo in terms of gain. I even took the lenses off (yay for facelift sedans being easy) and brought them inside to work on at my desk for about an hour. I'm going to have to try the one you used next I guess, otherwise it looks like about $150 to replace them or around $600 to upgrade to projectors in the process.

The best, also most laborious method is using sandpaper. Plastic stores such as a local company, TapPlastics has a wide variety of paper selections. I helped a friend restore his lenses on his WRX (terrible amount of contours/curves to work around) and through 5 stages, ultimately ending on 2000/2500 wet, we had excellent results that really shined through after a polish/glazing compound.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Jealous Cow posted:

Anyway, the reason I ask is that my dealer has a 2013 M3 with premium and competition with a manual for $60k. New. 3 miles on it. I'm waiting to hear back from my CA, but I think it's probably a special order that fell through and now they want to free up the inventory for something else. They don't order any manuals unless it's for a specific customer. If that's really what they're asking I'm gonna jump on it.

Oh wow -- what other options on that car?! Sounds good, almost too good.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Cellular Suicide posted:

And a nice new turbo (triple turbo? seriously?) setup that you get to guinea pig...no thanks. I would jump all over that abandoned manual M3 and drive the absolute poo poo out of it, and in the back of my mind always know that it's last of the NA V8 M3's and will be worth it's resale value down the road and/or be a rarer object.

Don't get too rash on the BMW M group, their engines tend to be quite robust, and in the instances where things have gone awry they have tended to it rather generously (S54 rod bearing.) The turbo systems are quite impressive as well, and the full-on investment by BMW to incorporate turbo engines into all platform offerings would only serve to further harbor confidence ;)

Jealous Cow posted:

The Metallic Black (whatever it's called) with the fox red Novillo leather. Not a huge fan of black but I can deal. I don't like white cars. Would prefer Le Mans Blue.

Extended leather?!?!

Edit: VVVVV now don't go acting without thinking. Haha, but seriously, go acquire and join the club.

thealphabetsez fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 4, 2013

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Realjones posted:

A dealership just happened to have just gotten one in when I went to go look at some cars on a Saturday. 6 speed, estoril blue, AND the M-sport package. I test drove it Saturday (car hadn't even been cleaned yet) and they sold it Monday.

If you are planning on keeping the car out of warranty I'd go with the manual. The DCT does seem to better suited to the car (7 vs 6 gears) as the power is more up top compared to say a c63. If you plan on paying to extend the warranty and don't mind the lack of clutch go with the DCT.

Given that the e92 is five years old now and a new one will be available maybe next year I'd rather get a used stripper six speed to enjoy. Regardless of what the fanboys say "last NA V8 eva" they will all flock to the new one just like they did from the e46. <20 MPG vs probably in mid 20s for the new one will convert many people as well.

I say go for the DCT, if only so the market of standard transmission examples is small, thus keeping the value of mine an amount (if at all noticeable) higher ;)

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Jealous Cow posted:

Yep that's how they gave it to me: up on a curb.

It's a new M3, premium, style 220M wheels, black everything, 6 speed.

Welcome to the E9X M3 club! That makes now 4 of us, at least. How is your restraint with the break-in period going?

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Jealous Cow posted:

This is the likely outcome.

I'm working right now but I can see it right out my window, taunting me to go for a drive. drat it I have work to do!

Have you thought about an exhaust yet? I've been leaning toward the Akra evo system. A friend just got the Eisenmann race setup and won't stop raving about it -- I'm still partial to Akra's facility and machining setup.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Hog Obituary posted:

Das Volk used to have an Akrapovic exhaust on his old E92 and it did indeed sound amazing. It wasn't cheap though -- something like $5k?

I thought he went Dinan?! I finally got to hear an Akra E92 (no cats) three weeks back. While raspy, very raspy without cats, the presence was just tingling. ~$7k

Jealous Cow posted:

Probably not. Gains are in going catless and I haven't gotten board of the sound yet.

I'm certainly not in the market to chase down gains, merely the unrestricted sound!

Method Loser posted:

Gdwuah? $5,000 for a few pieces of metal tubing? Jesus Christ.

GTS components can be had for $9500... Akra is a bargain at $7k haha.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

How do guys feel about the :supaburn: "OMG Rear-wheel drive in the snow!" non-sense?

Also, I'm 6'2 could I fit in a 1-Series? :ohdear:

I was out and about in the couple freezing fog instances this past winter on summer tires -- no hassle. I'd certainly opt for and LSD-equipped vehicle, or if not available, hunt one down for the "ultimate" ultimate snow driving machine. In truth, it doesn't matter.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Crustashio posted:

You're not getting an LSD unless it's an M. Just get good snow tires.

New (or post 1995) yes that is correct; however as vintage of the car wasn't mentioned, it's worth sharing that info about the availability of such an option existing :science:

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

voltron posted:

Or recommend a decent street coilover kit for a sexy ride height?

I've used DDM Tuning kits for fog light applications with great success. Considering the lifetime warranty and cost (all Chinese stuff) it has worked out rather well.

Regarding suspension, I'm eyeballing MCS two-way systems for my E92 -- just trying to figure out all the hassle I'll encounter while converting the rear to a true coilover. I rode in an E46 with a set of 3-way customs that blew me away. Friends in the E36 community had positive things to say regarding the older Tein kits; I've also been impressed with TCKline's offerings.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

blk posted:

Was reading R+T today when I came across this:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-reviews/road-tests/road-test-my-blue-heaven-bmw-135is

The argument is very similar to what happens with every generation of new BMWs, about them losing their soul or their driver connectedness or what have you, but what I've heard about the F30, I suspect it might be closer to the mark this time. I haven't driven one yet - regardless, the commentary could apply to several manufacturers in our era of CVTs and electric steering and 5,000 different 'assists'. The same issue shocked me with the news that the new E63 is AWD only, as will be future S-Class based AMGs.

I recently had my car in for service, and in that duration was sent off with a new 328i sedan spec'd with the sport package trimmings. While it was something to commute in, I felt really as though I could be in a wide variety of other models and hardly distinguish from one another. I'm curious to see what is done with the new platform as it matures.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

lazer_chicken posted:

As far as I'm aware, no BMWs come with LSDs other than M cars. It is a bit silly considering Civic SIs and V6 Mustangs and poo poo have LSDs from the factory. But I have to say it has tons of grip as is.

This is a correct statement post-1995; however BMW CCA is working to lobby BMW NA to resume offering LSD options in "S" models, such as the soon-to-be-late 335is.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Drunken Lullabies posted:

Thanks, it was just really siezed on there. I always get nervous about breaking things I own, but my old man had no problem tearing it out.

I'm ripping these lovely HID's out, should I go with HIR lights or stock 9005's?

What chassis? Without clarification, I am leaning toward HIR ;)

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004
You're obviously lying about not being keen on the idea ;) Jump aboard!

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Koirhor posted:

Finally got the M3 properly detailed, Todd Cooperider of Esoteric Detail is considered one of the best in the country and he lives 10 miles from me.

Good lord, another goon hiding in the 'post!! Great color.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Das Volk posted:

Who is it that sells those color-matched inserts that replace those godawful yellow reflectors on the bumper cover?

IND is rather well respected for those sort of things, IND Distribution

They just did this for me:

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

NitroSpazzz posted:

For BMW shopping how on bmwcca and check out the classified section - http://www.bmwcca.org/classifieds/listings.php

From what I've seen and looked at in person most of the cars listed on there are well maintained and accurately represented.

This is really sound advice. My experience with sellers on the CCA classifieds is always top-notch. It's one of the things that makes membership so great.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Wombot posted:

Yea, and as of 2:32pm, they relisted it on CL. Either they're jerking people around, or the left hand and the right hand aren't on speaking terms. The VIN comes up clean, but like I said, it stopped having BMW Seattle Service marked in 2008. If it had been available, first order of business was a trip to Munich Evo to get inspected.

That's good to know about the automatics going tits up at 100k+!

I'm going down to Portland this weekend on unrelated business, and hope to at the very least talk to this guy: http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/3885575302.html (Again though, it's an auto)

Anyone have recommendations for awesome BMW shops in PDX to do pre-buy inspections?

I'd look to either Matrix Engineering or AR Auto for PPI services. Those two companies are easily the most respected within the community.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Das Volk posted:

I know BMW isn't the only mfr to do this but why on earth do they insist on CDV/CDS? At least on the M cars I can bring a pick and some needle nose with me to defeat it. Having to get into the hydraulic system to fix it sounds like such a pain in the rear end.

Unless I'm mistaken, the E9X M cars came free from CDV pieces :)

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Crustashio posted:

The best BMW transmission I've ever experienced is the ZF 6 speed in the E46. With the ZHP shifter it was absolutely perfect. But I like the heavy e36 M3 clutch better. Still wish I could get my hands on the 6speed, it is possible to throw it in an e36,

They are more or less the same transmission, as an FYI, with merely the addition of the 6th gear (but a terrible cost of ease of rebuild.) On a local E46 M3 track build, the owner opted for the E36 ZF transmission, cost, availability, gearing, etc.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Just noticed my 335 is making a squeaking noise when turning left at low speed. That's a CV rebuild, right? It only has 39k miles :(

From the front or rear of the car? Presumably front? Maybe as simple as something in contact with the rotor shield...

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Crustashio posted:

If its not rusty that's a good price.

ZHP has the following performance things:
-cams that give an extra 10hp, red line of 6800
-aluminum front control arms (probably worn out now)
-uniquely valved shocks (probably worn out now)
-shorter shift lever
-shorter rear diff (still no LSD)

They don't demand the premium they used to but I would still pay slightly extra over a 330 sport. One with the full alcantara interior and steering wheel in good shape is a great thing.

The 2004 being the peak of the ZHP offering as the Alcantera (or fake?) wasn't a great batch offering, as such in 2005+ it was no longer offered :(

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Jealous Cow posted:

I really want to get the BMW Performance seats for my M3.

They're like $5k

Two sets for E92 for sale at the moment on the 'post ;) They are something that I plan to pickup myself, side airbag, heating, electric, the perfect combo of sport and practical until I fully go to track-only, haha.

What's really interesting, is that image depicts the seats in a non-M (unless I'm mistaken.) That is just... odd.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004
I've been stocking piling a laundry list of things to get installed/done to my E92. Here's a peek at some of the parts I picked up out of an order that arrived from IND today!

Obviously my excitement prevented me from holding the camera (phone) steady. I'm still in awe at how light these OE BMW parts are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Popete posted:

Look at an e36 M3, the guy is asking $9500 which seems reasonable for a car with 55k miles on it. What do you guys think?

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1995413-E36-M3-Coupe-Fern-Green-FS-11000-LOW-MILES

Looow mileage, full-OBC, heated vader seats, non-lux, factory-installed spoiler... I'd be all over that! Pick it up, do any remaining pieces of maintenance, tend to the seats, tend the the rust, sell it to a club member for $18.5K ;) Haha.