Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I think he meant Dreamgirls, the movie Jennifer Hudson won an Academy Award for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

NGL posted:

I don't remember Casey Affleck ever being a punchline.

But you know who was?

Frank Stallone.

:golfclap: Well played.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Schweinhund posted:

I remember someone said 1,2, 4,5,6, 3.

I take it this is because Darth Vader proper isn't introduced until the third prequel, so you can still enjoy the shock of the "No, I am your father" reveal and yet still have some vestment in Luke's struggle against the man who :airquote: killed :airquote: his father?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

From what I can remember, there was a transponder in the duffel bag, so Chigur and the Mexicans both had responders which enabled them to converge on him.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Rake Arms posted:

I've walked out of two movies, both at a discount theater, so I lost a combined total of 5 dollars. The movies were A Haunting in Connecticut and The Spy Next Door. The first was because I was bored, the second was because I felt like it was actively draining my intelligence. Ironically, I sat through all of Old Dogs at the same theater. It was like a train wreck, I literally couldn't look away.

Can I ask what drew you to go see these movies at all in the first place? I've never walked out of a movie, but I usually only go to movies I know I'll probably like in the first place. It seems pretty easy to recognize which movies are going to be huge turds these days without having to spend money and go to the theater to find out.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Akuma posted:

Wait, what? How can you possibly disagree with that? It's this massive "Oh poo poo, I'm hosed" event, and then shortly thereafter he is in no state to find or consume food so he dies. I had no idea people thought it was ambiguous, I don't see how they could make it clearer that the former caused the latter.

I think he might be referring to the real life events that inspired the movie/book.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

Time isn't a loop, when you send someone back into the past they don't go to your past, they go to a new past that now has them in it. You can't change the present, just someone else's future.

-The Terminator Show

So how does that line up with Kyle Reese? Did John Conner have a different dad in some alpha-timeline that exists before the movies?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Mouser.. posted:

Pontiac is a dead brand now too so I'd agree that it was this or the PT Cruiser and The Office already got to that one.

Walt Jr. actually got a PT Cruiser for his birthday later on in the series :eng101:

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

My girlfriend claims "Magic Mike" has very realistic dialogue, especially when the characters get into arguments with each other.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

The Bible?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

cloudchamber posted:

Goldeneye is the first Bond film that comes close to being like the modern films, with the first of Bond's pimped out spy cars and a wonderfully absurd villain with killer top hat.

I assume you mean "Live and Let Die"?

Klungar fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 7, 2013

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

The Matrix movies? I know people speculated about there being another layer to the world but the movie itself never looks at that idea.

The ending of the second one certainly implies this as a possibility, even if that's not how it eventually ends up.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

live with fruit posted:

Can anyone think of any art films about sports/athletes?

The only one I can come up with off of the top of my head is The Wrestler.

Million Dollar Baby?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

PTizzle posted:

Can anyone throw up some groups of movies where they both came out very near to each other and are/were perceived to be very similar in content? I'm thinking of stuff like The Prestige and The Illusionist, White House Down and Olympus Has Fallen and so on.

Dante's Peak / Volcano

A Bug's Life / Antz

Deep Impact / Armageddon

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Cheech? Chong?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Hat Thoughts posted:

School of Rock is good

This. I will fight you if you think otherwise <:mad:>

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Feast was awesome.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

thehandtruck posted:

What's with PTA casting the same guy for 2 roles in There Will Be Blood? It's so odd. Like I thought maybe Eli had some sort of dual personality thing going on or metaphor but in the wiki it just said the other actor quit so they had Dano do that part as Paul too. Such a small scene, why not just have some other actor do it?

Aren't they supposed to be twin brothers?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

The guy who played Captain Montgomery on Castle is one of the actors involved in that scene.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Like "Watchmen", which exists in a universe where superhero comic books never came into popularity and pirates are instead the prominent subject matter.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

therattle posted:

It would make even more sense if I hadn't invented it. Sorry.

:golfclap: Well done.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

She changes into a beautiful brunette princess, thank you very much! <:mad:>

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Does Kill Bill count?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

syscall girl posted:

Even gets him to sleep with her against his better judgement.

I might be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure they don't actually sleep together.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

I went to China for a month during senior year of high school as part of a cultural exchange. One of the students in my group was tall and black. He was on the front page of the city's newspaper the day after we arrived. Not my group as a whole, just him by himself in some candid shot someone must have taken as we were walking around. It was a small town by China standard, but still, that was pretty crazy.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Goddamn that is crazy as hell. What was the headline, "black guy spotted in town – lock doors, windows"?

The newspaper was in Chinese, so I wasn't able to read it myself, but I believe the Chinese student who showed it to us said it was about all of us American students being in town for the next month, which to be fair is decent local news. Still, only one of the students was deemed picture worthy.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Deadpool had a great opening credits sequence for getting people into the mood of the film.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

I watched Pulp Fiction the other day and it was pretty stupid John Travolta gets shot but a couple of scenes later he's sitting around eating in a diner like nothing happened. . How the heck did that get past the continuity editor?

Is... is this a joke post?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Abu Dave posted:

cool thanks i have a personal hatred for every avenger except captain and hulk and didnt really wanna sit through a movie of them

Civil War still has all the Avengers, and doesn't have Hulk.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

1) Cap knows that the Winter Soldier is someone Hydra uses to assassinate people.
2) Zola-bot tells Cap that Hydra assassinated Howard Stark.
3) ????
4) Profit Cap determines that the Winter Solider assassinated Howard Stark.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Grifter posted:

I probably should have left hulk out of my post, I'm looking for good film crit sites.

I like Vince Mancini of Filmdrunk.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Austin Powers 2 was still decent

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

To prep for TFA when it came out, my wife and I watched the Despecialized versions of 4 and 5, watched a fan edit of 2 and 3 that focused on the Anakin/Padme/Obi Wan plot and cut everything else, and then watched the Despecialized version of 6. I don't know if I'd recommend it for someone who has never seen the series before (other than the Despecialized part), but it certainly made for a more enjoyable rewatch experience than other times I've rewatched the series.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

There’s a good 2-3 hour movie in the Hobbit trilogy somewhere

There was a Tolkien Edit that took all three movies and cut it down to a 4 hour movie. Never watched it, but it sounded like a better way to consume the trilogy.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Allyn posted:

Focus, the Will Smith and Margot Robbie thing

I was going to mention Hancock, I think a lot of Will Smith movies might fall under this. Even Men In Black has him and the white Morgue Lady.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Nick Blood

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

I was something like 14, and my parents were going to let me see an R-rated movie in the theater for my birthday (my parents were/are strict Christian Conservatives, this was a big deal). Which movie did I pick? The Ladykillers. I don't actually remember anything too bad in it, but I was just so disappointed that I'd wasted a rare opportunity on such a mediocre film.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Skwirl posted:

The Dawn of the Dead remake came out 2 weeks earlier, so depending how late in the run you saw Ladykillers it was probably still in theaters. Of course if your conservative Christian parents were watching it with you, they probably would have taken you out of the theater within the first 20 minutes.

The only other R rated films from that time period I recognise the names of are semi-indy flicks so you probably wouldn't have heard of them at 14 (Dogville and Ned Kelly). Oh Kill Bill 2 came out April 16th, but I wouldn't recommend watching that without seeing the first one.

Tom Hanks must have been the deciding factor for teenage me, I can't imagine what would have drawn me to the movie otherwise. Probably helped convince the parents that a movie couldn't be too bad if it had America's Dad Tom Hanks in it.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

What I'd love to see theatres attempt is showing a couple of 20-30 minutes shorts in place of a normal feature. There's so much cool stuff you can only ever experience at home unless you're lucky enough to live near a popular festival.

A theater in the town I used to live in would have a couple showings around Oscar time for all of the nominated Live-Action and Animated Shorts. The showings were always packed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

BonoMan posted:

I'm looking for some examples of movies that take place a lot on phones. Not necessarily anything gimmicky, but just where phones have a lot of screen time (I'm looking for good VFX compositing references for phones).

Have you seen Searching, the John Cho film that came out last year? My understanding is that phone screens/computer screens/ technology factor very heavily into the film’s presentation.