Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost
Anyone else heading to Siggraph in a couple of weeks?

Just as a heads up, if you have film industry experience (at least 3+ years) and fancy a new job in sunny NZ, drop me a PM as we'll be interviewing while in LA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

BonoMan posted:

need 3+ years experience and filming in NZ? Hmmmm.....wonder what that could be.

It could be any one of the hundreds of high end VFX places in New Zealand that are about to start of an couple of interesting films :)

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

BonoMan posted:

Yes it was and somehow late one night we ended up at a Sony party at 3 in the morning in some loving warehouse in the middle of nowhere. Surrealllllll.

edit: Oh it was 106 here the other day :(.

I was there in 2000 as well.

The Gold Lounge ate all of my money. Never trust any establishment that pays $100 to the Taxi drivers who take you there.

:(

The Sun robotic dolphin was the best bit. :)

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

Ratmann posted:

:ughh:

I'm just wondering why you don't think this is a good idea. Katana? The Foundry? Nuke?

Do you work at Sony?

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

Ratmann posted:

This is pretty much how it is.

The concept and idea for lighting and comp are kind of cool, but the execution is just not any good, it doesn't know what it is pretty much. And it's slow, god is it slow.

Ah ok,

I've worked on shows where all of the lighting was done in comp (Harry Potter III I'm looking at you), and yep, it had its drawbacks.

I agree the idea is attractive though, and with an efficient implementation it could really pay for itself.

I dream of director review sessions where the comment for final is "Can you bring that light down a bit?", doing it in real time and then off to the pub. :)

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

BigKOfJustice posted:

The lighting pipeline where I work is like that. The lighting pass was more or less place lights and go for illumination and make sure you have enough bounced lights, ensure you are reading the HDRI data, make sure all the proper groups are visible then kick off a few deep raster renders which will be tweaked in composting.

I'm surprised more [large] companies didn't buy the Shake source code and that modified that for their own uses using the shake foundation and UI as it's core. That was what? 8 grand? Is the source even still available to buy now?

I think it was a fair bit more than $8K when we paid for it, but we've certainly modified the crap out of it.

We're more of a macho :rolleyes: kinda place though. Real men render, see if it looks right, tweak a slider a little bit, and then they re-render. On 1s. With everything dialed to 10. Only girly men use comp for anything but a little bit of grading.

All of a sudden tens of thousands of cores doesn't seem that many.

forelle fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Nov 2, 2009

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

Ratmann posted:

Let me just say this really quick, no it's not an image based lighting thing, that stuff isn't anywhere here. It's part lighting app, you bring in your geometry, you have materials assigned to it, Prman or Arnold or whatever the gently caress, you build, or import, your light rig, you generate your metric rear end tonne of shadow passes, split your passes and you're done.

It's not some magic poo poo like it's marketed, it's clunky, has memory leaks, node UI makes me want to hurt myself.

But I guess that's just me, since I haven't drank the cherry koolaid.

Ahh ok, my mistake. I guess I just saw lighting and comp and jumped to a conclusion. Cheers for clearing that up. I still like the concept but I guess I'd prefer to take it to its logical extreme as a kind of Shake-for-shots.

Some of the companies in Europe (France especially) have systems like this. You build a node graph that describes the whole process of rendering a shot from raw data through scene building, simulation, lighting, rendering, compositing, grading etc. It means that anyone in the company can re-render after making a change.

Having worked in places where a texture change can take four days to filter back to review, I see the benefits.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

BigKOfJustice posted:

On another hand, we had a vendor show up with this new software product we were thinking of buying. The guy was clueless technically about the actual inner workings of the process of how the software worked and really couldn't answer our questions... then he pulled out this stunt:

"Check out the work that [studio x] did on [upcoming major film release y] using our software..!"

Is there any chance you could let me know which vendor this was? A PM would be cool. It's always good to know who you can trust and who you can't.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost
If anyone is interested, The Foundry just announced the 3D texture painting application I've been working on for the last 4 years while at Weta.

It is called Mari.

http://www.fxguide.com/article604.html

And there is some more information here...

http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/dl_file.aspx?ui=625782B3-7DF7-4C44-A571-E4439943704C

It is fun.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

brian encino man posted:

Wow so you work at Weta? That's really really cool. What's it like there? Er basically give me your autobiography up to this second. Thanks!

I did work at Weta, I'm now at the Foundry as product manager for Mari.

Erm, I graduated in Computer Science, worked in the games industry for a while, left the games industry as film VFX was really what I wanted to do.

Got a job at FrameStore in London in R&D, worked there for 3 years then Weta for the last four.

I started the first week of Avatar production and left the week after the Oscars party.

Weta is fantastic. A strange mix of very laid back and staggeringly hard working.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

sigma 6 posted:

Hahahah - somebody sounds a little bitter. I just got done with the Autodesk education meeting. Ran into a guy from R&H and he said that VFX studios haven't used UVs in a while and they don't use envelope weighting anymore either.
I said: Well, I guess most schools are teaching methods that are 5-10 years old then.
He said: Yeah, most good stuff at studios is proprietary anyways. Voodoo, Ice etc.etc.

(mental note: Learn PTEX!)

The quote about UVs is pretty far from the mark. Apart from Disney and maybe Pixar, most facilities, if they use ptex at all, use it in very specific situations rather than as a general solution. Some of the most interesting work with Ptex (IMHO) is the stuff Scott Metzger is doing with onset capture, Lidar scans and projections, Mari and Vray.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d8ypguQjFw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Scott showed an updated version of this at Sigraph using Faro Lidar scans and 12k spherical projections. Crazy stuff.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

concerned mom posted:

Awesome thanks man. Yeah this is going to be very normal heavy so hopefully a lot of info will be down for that. I was going to use the lightbox tool thingy to paint his face on from photo ref as well. I do however like to hand paint pretty much anything I can so I think this will be an interesting exercise.

I'll spam you guys with some more updates once I've finished unwrapping the low.

You could try giving Mari a go......

http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/mari/

Mari is designed for high quality, high resolution texturing painting.

You can either get a 15 day license off the bat or a 40 day license from here...

http://challenge.cgsociety.org/mari/?utm_source=CGSociety&utm_medium=stamp&utm_campaign=MariChallenge

And if you want an overview (rather old, but kinda fun) of what Mari can do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3WskWrQh4E

(Disclaimer : I'm the Mari product manager and naturally think that it is awesome)

forelle fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 17, 2012

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

concerned mom posted:

Just watched the vids and wow that looks incredible. You're doing some awesome work. I love how you can move it and blend lots of "little" textures together. In polypaint in Zbrush you'd polypaint the high; in Photoshop/Max (etc) you'd paint the low; in Mari I guess you paint the low?

It's hard to tell as that Vastatosaur was obviously film quality, but for games my game mesh is 15k triangles. I'm guessing this works on pixels, not vertices so that would lead me to think I'd paint the low.

Man there's so many techniques and programs now!

Hi,

It depends how high the high is. Mari can handle several million polys on a decent GPU, but certainly not 50M+ from a high res zBrush model.

LucasArts are using Mari to texture StarWars 1313, so it's pretty useful for game assets too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCCsGd7_kZM

All of the assets in this are from Mari.

Yep, Mari paints Pixels. You can paint upto 32k^32k, but that is pretty unusual beyond enourmous ground-planes and matte paintings. Most people stick to multiples of 2k,4k and 8k for film level stuff.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

concerned mom posted:

The trouble with texturing the high for me would be unwrapping it! Does Mari require an unwrapped mesh or does it effectively polypaint then you can bake that down? As it's per pixel I'm guessing it needs a UV map. If that's the case I think I'd definitely texture the low!

It looks really sweet though, I think I'm definitely going to try this out next week.

Ahhh, Gotcha. Mari can paint uv-less using PTex from Disney, but we don't have PTex->Uv Transfer at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxNlAlOuQQQ

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

mutata posted:

None of these fancy shmancy tools work well with overlapping UVs, though, I bet. :colbert:

http://vimeo.com/47021260 - 0.57s

:)

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

EoinCannon posted:

Jumping in to say a few of us are using Mari at work and finding it very powerful, easy to use and just kind of does what you want without a fuss, if that makes any sense.

Glad you like it. :) Are you in VFX or games?

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost
FxGuide just posted a cool video we recorded at Siggraph 2012 of Scott Metzger showing off some Mari Spherical HDR work.

http://www.fxguide.com/fxguidetv/fxguidetv-165-scott-metzger-on-mari-and-hdr/

The nice thing I like about this is how easy it is to light and render with. You take the PTex painted in Mari, tell V-Ray to use it as an area light source and you're done. You can drop objects anywhere in the scene and the lighting works.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

sigma 6 posted:

This is REALLY cool stuff. I saw him demonstrate a very similar workflow for a VES meeting and it blew me away then too. He said it was posted on the Nuke site, so this must be a newer, tweaked version.

SVU Fan: Nick's tools are great!! Thank you. That is exactly what I needed.

It's the level of detail he's able to capture that gets me. The shot near the end of the chipped wood is amazing. Makes the emails starting

'So I've got these 15 11k HDR spherical maps that I want to project in realtime'

and

''Mari slows down a bit when your ptex files go over 60GB'

worth it.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

HolyJewsus posted:

wow you worked on these tools? I'm not up to speed on vfx workflows in any sense, but this seems amazing. I've worked with 3d and laser scanning technologies before, but how is this working, the 3d point cloud is not coming from the hdr image correct? This is being mapped to a scanned spherical point cloud correct? Whats the cost of something like that scanner?

correction, mapped to the retopoed mesh from the point cloud.

I'm the product manager and ex-lead developer of Mari.

The basic workflow is

Faro 3D scanner->Point Cloud
Point Cloud->Maya manual topology->obj
Nikon Medium format camera->Multiple 11k Spherical HDRS
Mari + obj + HDRS -> HDR PTex textures
Vray + obj + PTex -> Render

The scanner is about $30k as I understand it.

The main benefit from this is that you get an environment you can render immediately, but also one that acts like one huge area light so you can drop CG directly into the scene and have it look plausible. It's very close to a fully captured virtual set.

You could probably do a cheap version of this using a kinect and solved 2D HDR exposures.

forelle fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 21, 2013

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

HolyJewsus posted:

That is what I was thinking :), do you mind clarifying what solved means here, as in lined up?

Yeah basically.

Normally this would be done programatically.There's a bunch of different techniques and bits of software that given multiple different images of the same scene can solve the location of each camera location in 3D space.

Once you have this information, you can project the images from those solved camera positions back onto modelled geometry. It's kinda magic when it all lines up.

I was wondering if Blender has a camera solver. It seems to have a lot of other stuff in there.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

HolyJewsus posted:

Hey Forelle,
I'm very interested in developing design tools for architects, games, movies etc, is it possible to email you for a longer convo (dont have pms) or do you have any advice for getting internships specifically aimed at that kind of development?

Sure. Drop me an email to greasley at the foundry dot co dot uk

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

sigma 6 posted:

Seems like it really gets mindblowing results for taking a bunch of high res pics and knowing what to do with them. The only tedium here seems to be the retopo of the point cloud.

Yeah, you get so much more than just the model as well. The HDR lighting solution it captures makes rendering in the environment a snap. I'm wondering if it would be useful for Arch-Viz or interior design work.

There does need to be a simpler point-cloud->decent topology path though.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

Geared Hub posted:

The new campus sunk them. They had free rent as long CSC leased the other building, but when CSC moved out, they had no one to pick up that lease and no banks willing to touch R+H with a 10 foot pole for a line of credit.

We'll see where it goes with Bankruptcy protection, theres still a few hundred left for now trying to finish the few projects still there.

Their best bet for survival is to get someone to buy them out while they still have key people in place otherwise whats the point in buying office space with workstations...

I always wondered about that place. It was certainly a massive chunk of real-estate. I liked the 1970s arms company vibe in the foyer and the elevator just for dogs.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost
Bullets Included.

http://vimeo.com/64663512

One of our Mari users is making some cool training videos and made this trailer to show off.

The training videos are at

https://themarichannel.com

Fun stuff.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

Geared Hub posted:

Anyone going to siggraph? [Anaheim in two weeks]

I wasn't planning on going but might as well join the worlds largest unemployment line for digital artists :haw:

A few vendors are giving out free exhibition passes, I've heard side effects and pixelogic are. If theres enough interest we could meet at the birds of the feather area and have a cg goon meet or something.

I'm gonna be there. I'll be mainly hanging out at the Foundry Booth or the Texture painters BOF

Fun Fun Fun.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

Trintintin posted:

How do those BOF things work? I've never actually been to one. Is it just like a bunch of dudes hanging out shooting the poo poo or is it like more specialized talks.

It's just a general meet and greet. Get to know other people who do / are interested in X. Some of the BOFs have an open mike / projector thing where anyone interested can come along and show stuff.

Nice way to get noticed if you're doing something cool.

We might be showing some Mari stuff off.

That said, We had a Mari / texture painting BOF last year that was basically me being grilled by a room full of people for 2 hours.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost
If anyone is interested in learning something new and potentially winning some very cool prizes we've just launched a new Mari texture painting competition at CgSociety.

http://challenge.cgsociety.org/mari2013?z=0&utm_medium=plugblock&utm_source=cgtalk

We supply a model, you paint it with Mari and potentially win a Dreamcolor HP laptop worth $7k, an Nvidia Quadro k6000 worth $5k and licenses of Modo Mari and Nuke worth $8k.

I hope you guys don't think I'm spamming, it is CG related and should be interesting.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

EoinCannon posted:

Unfortunately I don't have time to enter the challenge but I wanted to chime in and say Mari 2.0 freaking rocks
Changed my whole texturing process in a few days, I don't ever want to use photoshop again for texturing :P
Sometimes I wish I could see my layers laid out as a node graph a la nuke though (maybe you can and I just don't know how)

Glad you like it. :)

The layering system is actually implemented on a full node graph, and in developer mode, we have a really rough node view. I'm hoping to get this polished up and shipped at some point next year.

forelle fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Oct 6, 2013

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

EoinCannon posted:

Something that won't be finished due to my recent SSD crash.
Based on a German suit of armour I found on the net but modified to fit a woman whose head I had also modeled and subsequently lost.
The designs were inspired by the real suit but redesigned with a sessile oak leaf motif
The shield was pretty early on in development.

sigh...

The new SSD is a Samsung which I'm informed is more reliable :D

This is really nice. How'd Mari work out for you? We're always looking for marketing material so if you have anything you'd like to show us let us know.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

Yep, Scott has been doing some really fun stuff with Mari.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wf7AZupkhc

This is a more recent video.

I almost poo poo myself when I saw him running Mari on a 4k display. I had no idea it would perform like that, but I guess 12GB of GPU RAM helps.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

Listerine posted:

Well I went there to check it out in person, and I talked to the guy about academic licenses and how upgrades work, and his description made it sound like I could get a discounted academic license and if I didn't pay the maintenance I'd just be stuck with that version going forward. Which seems fine to me since I'm just doing simple stuff. But then I went to the website and it lists educational licenses with annual rates that expire if you don't renew; I'm not a big fan of renting software and my pockets aren't deep enough to afford $2k. I'm kind of bummed out. I'd probably do 500-600 for a permanent academic license. I'll have to see what their salespeople say.

Drop me an email at jack.greasley@thefoundry.co.uk

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

keyframe posted:

Yea I think I will go take a class there see how it is.

Mari brushes are great. If you can afford it it is the best painting software out there hands down.

Glad you like it. :) I'm just about qualified to answer any questions anyone might have about Mari.

forelle fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 16, 2013

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

keyframe posted:

Whoa nice to have you here Jack! I will keep asking if you have stairs in your house over at CG Talk and Foundry forums from now on. :v:

Speaking of question, do you think Mari would run on a Surface pro 2? I am not planning on doing 8k texture paints on it but more around 1-2k range. Was going to download the trial to give it a go later this week. From what I remember Mari needed a lot of hard drive space to use as buffer, which is my main worry.

It seems the surface has an intel integrated GPU which isn't currently on our tested list. We have had Mari running (surprisingly well aside from driver bugs) on intel hw but this isn't in the shipping version iirc. Getting Intel support is something I'd very much like to do. The hd requirements are really just for vfx production sized assets. 10gb or less should do for smaller assets.

Give 2.5v2 a go with the latest intel drivers and let me now how you get on. If there are problems submit them to support@thefoundry.co.uk and I'll look at getting them fixed. Normally this involves getting the driver team on the GPU vendors side involved which is fun.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

Ccs posted:

Alright. A guy in my iAnimate class named Peter Kasim gave me the cleanup animation example. He currently works at Weta.

Anyway I guess I shouldn't even be arguing this. I'm glad if there's more work for animators. And no one in the audience really knows or cares who has authorship of performance of CG characters anyway. Serkis is just trying to minimize animators to get an Oscar.

Having worked at Weta too, and knowing many of the Animators who worked on LOTR, Hobbit, Avatar etc, they'd be very annoyed if anyone suggested they were justing "cleaning up the pencil lines".

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

Big K of Justice posted:

Thinking of probably bailing out of the industry once I wrap up my ILM contract, go do something else that is CG but not have the "free government money" shuffle every few months.

I'm hanging out in the ILM models and texturing department all of this week.

It is nice. I like the commons.

Doughnuts were nice too.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

Big K of Justice posted:

ILM is pretty nice, and its one of those places where if you bounce around the industry enough on high profile projects, you'll eventually wind up at ILM at one point or another... walking in there and seeing people from pretty much every company I've ever worked at is great. Got no complaints at all about ILM... they got one of the nicest campuses... its up there with Pixars facility and Dreamworks Animation.

They've gotta up their Atrium game. Pixar Atrium for the win. Oh and also Dreamworks free Canteen = best canteen.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

My favourite item is the ET bike.

My favourite bits of kit are the Optical printer, scanner and Motion control computer. It reminds me why I'm so glad everything went fully digital. gently caress dust.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

Eastdrom posted:

Hypothetical question. If i texture a model and start rigging, and the rig deforms badly because of amateur polygon flow, etc. Is it easy to go back and change the model or is a case of re-doing the UV map?

Here's what i'm at so far.

Mari (https://www.thefoundry.co.uk/Mari) has tools to transfer the paint from one geometry version to another. It does a pretty good job as long as the geometry hasn't moved too much.

I can probably answer any questions people have about high end visual effects texturing.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

mutata posted:

Alternatively, 3D Coat has per-pixel painting on mesh (as opposed to per-poly).

As does Mari :) If anyone in this thread is interested I can look at getting them a nice long eval of Mari to play with.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

mutata posted:

I heard a rumor that Quixel was working on a Mari-based workflow for their material stuff.

It's news to me if they are. It would be cool to see though.

Drop me an email at greasley@thefoundry.co.uk and I'll sort you out. Same for you CeeBee.

Adding a custom shader for unreal / unity support is super easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

Cyne posted:

How on earth could they ever enforce this? And what if your job has nothing to do with VFX anyway? The Foundry have always been a bit weird on the restrictions for their PLE licenses.

I was hoping they would announce a limited commercial license a la Houdini Indie, but a PLE that doesn't watermark your renders is better than nothing.

Yeah, it's not really a very clear EULA and I suspect it will be updated soon. It's mean to mean "Please only use this for personal, non paid projects. Don't use it for commercial work"