Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

My only reasoning for a new thread is I too think Ask Tell is a bizarre place for the thread and the OP is not really attractive to newcomers. But yeah I guess nobody cares so gently caress it. I might just do a GBS recruitment thread anyway and link here and whatever happens happens

You should do that if it's moved to TGD as well. Nothing aids TG stuff more than GBS recruitment, if only to let people know that a thread exists.

Check with a mod before doing so, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Under 15 posted:

It's solved for 6x6 as well, I think, with 7x7 getting close as well. The winning move is consistently black at tengen.

It's solved for 3x3, too, with the same best move.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

xopods posted:

I wouldn't guarantee it. With Gu Li vs. Lee Sedol I expect most of the games to degenerate into crazy fights. I can understand and explain reasonable positions, but when pros get to fighting I'm often like WHAT IS GOING ON WHAT DID HE JUST DO :psyduck: same as the rest of you.

This makes me honestly kind of excited.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

sebmojo posted:

then u r a wise man

He's saying he's read it and it's shite.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

xopods posted:

I am far from a pro.

I think 4d vs 3d sounds pro to some people. ;)

(yes I'm probably in that group)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

And then comparing to me, who can play a few chords, comparing to someone who has never touched a string instrument. Makes sense.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

a5? Should let you capture that entire corner group.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I uh missed the entire bottom row. I might still be right? I can't comprehend your image at 3 AM, sorry, and I'm also bad at this game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Speaking as a high kyu barely-player, that was fantastic and really interesting to read.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

zhuangcg posted:

I'm sorry that I confused you with my usage of the term novice; it is so much harder to understand than the acronym DDK, which practically explodes with meaning in comparison. You're, of course, correct my feeble attempts at conversation are clearly meaningless and a lowly acronym such as myself has no business attempting to speak GO with grey-haired eminences such as yourself. I'm so sorry that I wasted your valuable time with my meaningless utterances. Please have a wonderful day and thank you once again for your extremely helpful critique of my "plays".

This, by the way, is a lovely post. He was not criticizing you, and novice can be a large spread since it's very subjective.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

zhuangcg posted:

As I stated in my earlier posts, I am a novice or a beginner and I fully expect to make mistakes and by publishing those mistakes in a public forum I will naturally embarrass myself to some extent. But dismissing my words as meaningless is a criticism and then asking me to agree to being some jargon-y acronym which means nothing to me is a further twist of the rhetorical knife and is clearly meant to belittle or demean.

Saying your move is nonsense is a criticism of your play, not of you. DDK = double digit kyu, i.e. in the first twenty levels of rank (30 down to 10).

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

goodness posted:

If that is the GO anime, it is hilarious. Bush betting fighter planes on a go match.

There's two. Hikaru no Go is the more sedate "kids learn how to play go and then are masters and there's a ghost" one.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Xyven posted:

I'm like 99% sure that goodness is talking about The Legend of Koizumi, which is (very loosely) a mahjong manga/anime. It's kind of insane, with world leaders settling every via super powered mahjong matches and I think I remember there are Nazis on a moon base.

Oh yeah actually that's right. The other mah jongg animes are more familiar to me. And the Shogi one. Which has an actual, coherent storyline to it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

So ElyGo is this android app that actually works on my 1st gen kindle fire. It connects to IGS. Is IGS okay? Awful? It's got an AI and a bunch of tsumego, so it's worth the free amazon coins I've been getting, but I'm just wondering if IGS is worth playing on.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I have no answers, but I *love* the question because it in itself tells me what things I should be thinking about at all times. In other words, can't wait for responses. :unsmith:

Okay I lied. From what is probably a 30k, my gut is that the stone is still not trivially dead and therefore probably play somewhere in the lower left to stop white from gaining much territory quickly.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Again, remember that I'm not speaking from actually having good reasoning for anything, but instinct would be another extension to F3/G3, no need for an invasion while white is tied up trying to capture in the top left.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Super cool. I'll let others suggest alternate lines/places/bigs, but thanks for the explanations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

But how can you write a Go application not in the language Go?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

That's really fun to listen to and watch, thanks! Also, in her very first video, "And I have gote. Well, I can't have sente all the time, I guess."

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

You could post in the chess thread, too, people do have it bookmarked even if there isn't much discussion.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yes, and you can totally use your knights to jump over; no other pieces. You should play xiangqi with him, the cannons must capture by jumping over!

But yeah there's tons of chess problems, mostly "mate in x" or "win the piece!" for the simpler ones. Lots of newspapers have a one-per-day sort of thing, and obviously there's plenty of books and just googling "chess problems online".

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

AdorableStar posted:

IMO Shogi is a lot cooler than Chess because you can drop pieces back onto the battlefield.

Agreed, and I grew up on chess. Shogi is fabulous, everyone should learn it.

Mating nets become so loving cool with pieces in hand, and cracking a well built castle is a beautiful thing.

Plus, all out attacks resulting in just barely failing to mate resulting in an all out attack on the other side can lead to amazing defenses, too.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

uranus posted:

hmm shogi seems cool. but i have a feeling its going to be even worse than go in regards of anyone knowing wtf it is ever.

This is entirely true, yeah. I got a friend to learn it with me and we're both pretty solidly equal, and I found someone at a con who plays both go and shogi.

That's...kinda it, though! You can play online. Or found a shogi club, start a movement! (that movement being climbing silver, of course)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

tonberrytoby posted:

Haylee just came out and admitted her real identity in her newest video.
She really is a former pro player.

Oh, cool.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Symbolic Butt posted:

http://tromp.github.io/go/legal.html

I had no idea it was this hard to compute the number of legal positions. :aaa:

Super cool problem!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Whistling rear end in a top hat posted:

when i was at the beach the other day, there was a goony looking guy there with a really long rat tail wearing a Go shirt, and he had a cute girl with him. no scenario has ever been more incongruous.

Was it Hikaru

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

As a rank beginner, that was an extremely helpful review to read.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

PrBacterio posted:

A non-quantum computer is never going to be able to brute-force solve Go, I'm guessing (I didn't actually make the calculation, but what with factorial growth it's a pretty safe guess) the number of possible combinations in Go is probably larger by several orders of magnitude than even the number of atoms or even whichever kind of subatomic particle you care to name times the age of the universe divided by the Planck time. A quantum computer of sufficient size might in theory be able to do it by considering all the possibilities in parallel at once but I'm not sure it'll ever be possible to build such a thing, and if it was we'd have a whole bunch of other problems to worry about than solving Go like the fact that at that point you could break any possible encryption scheme that's ever been devised and it would quite literally be an oracle with which you could divine the future.

What about NTRU? I feel like that wasn't breakable using quantum, per se... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTRU#Resistance_to_quantum-computer-based_attacks

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

PrBacterio posted:

Yeah I admit I was getting a bit hyperbolic there towards the end there in my attempt to stress the fact to what degree a functioning large-scale quantum computer would basically be the computing equivalent of a nuclear bomb to the existing information processing infrastructure we have right now, and it's not like such an advance would just come about all of a sudden and out of the blue with no advance warning or time to prepare for it. But my basic point that's relevant to this thread was just that the number of possible combinations in Go is far too great for it to ever be possible to find a complete, exhaustive solution with a classical computer, no matter how large.

I was only plugging NTRU cause lattices are awesome, no worries. :3:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Pander posted:

Blitz to me seems like golf where all golfers are required to jog to their ball and immediately hit it, every time, and they can only use a 5 wood for everything.

That would make me watch golf, imo.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

uranus posted:

everyone post your favorite game youve played or read this week and your favorite thing about it

go

yeah, Go is the game I played this week that is my favorite.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I'm a scrub and my opponent hasn't played for 20 years and clearly was poo poo at the time, too, so I'm not gonna post it. :v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Xom posted:

This week I did ten tsumego problems and played mahjong.

Riichi or chinese?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Xom posted:

Riichi (I'm Xom on tenhou.net). I learned it a month ago, but unfortunately, it's now the off-season. Mahjong season is whenever there's a mahjong anime, of course. (I found a 2012–2013 Traditional Games mahjong thread.)

Haha. Yeah tenhou is pretty great, though I found an app I can play offline on my tablet.

Riichi is amazing, the feeling of slamming down the tiles is almost akin to go, live.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

This was tried in the chess thread and it kind of failed.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

uranus posted:

well, since go is better than chess it follows that we can do everything else better too

Makes sense.

What's a good blog or something that looks at pro games but goes into more detail than "this is bad because the shape is bad", i.e., is understandable for high ddk?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

uranus posted:

gogameguru has a lot of awesome game reviews with comments

Yeah that works, super awesome, thanks!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

High as in the number is high, I'm moderately sure I'm somewhere in the 20's, I'm so bad at this game (because I don't play).

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

uranus posted:

that is key

Oh I know. I don't have time, and the only times I've played in person either I'm playing a 5k or something (and get completely destroyed with 9 stones handicap) or I'm playing a rank novice (even moreso than me) and I crush them in detail.

I should really play online. But then it's hard to find anyone playing at that level, usually, it just waits for opponents forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Probably a good idea; my Through the Ages games have been slowing down a lot, so maybe I have time for a couple games of go.