Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

IOwnCalculus posted:

They could parts-bin a Mazdaspeed5 with about twenty minutes of actual work (figuring out where to place the intercooler and ducting for it), but nope. Hell, if you want a manual Mazda5 as it is, you're relegated to the poverty spec, because nobody would ever want to row their own gears AND have HIDs!

Sorry I quoted this from so long ago but Im getting caught up on this thread and what you said hits home for me.
I love the Mazda5 with a passion. I own a 06 now and Id seriously go by a 2012 tomorrow if it werent for Mazda being stubborn.
All I want is the option to have a stick AND actual creature comforts.
My dream would be a Mazda5 in stick with bluetooth, 6 disc in dash, leather seats, and HIDs.

Mazda: You can have all of those....oh except for the stick!
Franco Caution: But I really want a stick
Mazda: Ok so pick a mazda5 sport and then you get NOTHING you are asking for outside of the stick.

Why waste the time even offering the configuration if you they are going to do it like that? :argh:

Just let me purchase a Grand Touring with a stick. Thats all I really want. Wait that's a lie, I want a Mazdaspeed5 version ultimately but Im willing to take it slow Mazda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

My family is growing and the two seater might not be working out too well going forward.
Im thinking of checking out an 11 Speed3 tomorrow with Tech Package.
Does anyone know if the integrated GPS still sucks or if improvements got made at some point?

Id rather just not have the nav at all, but that wont work since its included in the tech package. HIDS are a must for me.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I had read back in 2010 that the navigation routes sucked and took people all sorts of out of the way. And like you mentioned, that the screen was really small.

I should have clarified the family growing part. Daughter is 5 and when I purchased the previous vehicle, she wasnt living with us. That has changed.

The biggest issue Im having now is the idea of getting rid of my vette and some what downgrading a bit to a different car.

Items I love and would miss greatly:
-400+ hp
-RWD
-Taking the top off

Items I will not miss greatly:
-Only being able to drive it 7 months of the year due to weather
-Really only getting to drive it by myself. Anytime the wife and daughter are around we take the mazda5 due to the vette being 2 seat only. Id love to have a fun car we can all fit in and enjoy.

Im also wondering about the centers of the seats. How does that red and black section hold up? It looks like it is made out of stretchy dancing tights in the pictures.

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 30, 2011

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Awesome. Thanks everyone for the feedback on the seats.

Im exited about the ability to have 6 disc in dash that can play Mp3 discs. That will mean I can have a lot of music with me at once.
And Ill finally have bluetooth connectivity for my phone which is something I really liked playing around with on the 2012 Mazda5. Hopefully the 11 speed3 uses the same set up.

Im assuming with the seats down you can load quite a bit of crap into the hatch correct?

I love the way my mazda5 drives. It doesnt drive like a van, it drives like a little car that turns sharp and always feels connected to the road. Im thinking the speed3 should be that and then some.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Looks like the 2012 Speed3s are starting to show up in the dealerships even though the main mazda site doesnt show poo poo about them yet.

Couple interior fixes, power seat, blind spot detector, and the option of White exterior.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Well, every thing finally worked out the way I wanted so I ended up with a 2012 Speed3 with Tech Package after all instead of the 2011 I was previous looking at.
So far I'm really having fun with it.

(finally got pics to work out)

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 14, 2011

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

For whatever reason initially the exterior pics werent showing up. Should be good to go now.
Ill do some interior shots tonight when I get home since there are differences from the 2011. Im really happy the red chicken pox on the dash were changed to silver.

My Weathertech mats should get delivered today while Im at work. Super excited about getting those as well. :)

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

The Mazda site was super slow to put up any details on the 2012 for whatever reason. Mine was on the truck way before they even had an update showing they existed.
From what I can tell, and Im not the best source as I didnt get to sit in a 2011 for very long, the following changed interior wise:

-Speedo ring color is red and white now. Some say it looks pink. Looks fine to me.
-Most of the text on the displays is white now and I think it use to be more red
-6 Disc is gone
-The center console trim is no longer silver and is now just black in color.
-Chicken Pox pieces on the dash are now silver.
-Yellow Blind Spot Monitor icons are in the mirrors now.
-Disable BSM button next to the disable Traction Control and Diable Auto Leveling Headlights buttons.
-Added some leather bits to the emergency brake.

Ill turn every thing on tonight and take some pics.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I tried to take a pic of everything I noticed was changed on the 2012 Interior.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Cygni posted:

Also wait, is that track information over Bluetooth?

Yes it is. That was probably one of the biggest smile moments I had the first time I realized the new car could do that.
Im on a Droid X and as long as I use the Stock Android music player, it displays all the track, artist, and album info on that little GPS screen.

Only limitation I have so far is I do my music more by FOLDERS instead of by Artist, Album, or song. The 3rd party apps Ive found on the Android market that allow sort by folders dont send the IDE info over bluetooth for whatever reason. :( So Each time I try to use one of those programs, I get UNKNOWN, UNKNOWN, UNKNOWN on the little screen. Sucks, but Ive gotten over it. Im sure eventually someone will figure out how to do it as the stock Droid X app seems to do it just fine.

On some of the forums Ive heard belly aching about the new white color scheme on the text. I like it as it seems a lot easier to read.

Just wanted to comment that my weathertechs showed up as well. I was kicking myself for spending as much as I did on them,but now that I got them installed I think they are going to work out and will be amazing.
The back seat ones cover everything! I cant even tell there is any carpet in the backseat at all.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Im glad they fixed that for Gen2.
Fronts are awesome. Back is just the best. I know at some point my daughter will challenge me by spilling something back there. Weathertech Mats and I will scoff at her.

I want to email Weathertech Man and ask if he can spend next month's two page magazine advertisement money on R&D for a 5 Door Cargo Liner instead :(
They have one for the 4 door but not the 5 :(

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Cygni posted:

Mind if I share that tidbit on other forums? Nobody has gotten a phone to stream info over BT as far as I'm aware, only from a windows laptop.

Here is the thread I've been following. There is a whole lot of confusion about the situation.

Sure thing.
Maybe its a 2012 thing but it worked like that first time I fired up the car.
I walked to the dealership to go pick up the car since I live down the street. On the way there I had been listening to music. First thing I did when I sat in the car was pair the phone. The car took over from there and began playing a song from my playlist I had been previously listening to on the walk over. Track name, artist name, and album showed up instantly.

If it helps at all
-2012 Mazdaspeed3 Touring, Tech Package
-Droid X Phone. Android Version 2.3.3, system version 4.5.602.MB810

To answer the question about the seats, I think the only thing that changes is the head rests at some point were different on one of the gen2 years. I too hated the seats when I first saw pics of them. In person they arent too bad at all and I now actually like the contrast.

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 15, 2011

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

spidoman posted:

Anyone have any clue whats up with the trims of the 2012 Mazda3? The mazda website says nothing about a Mazda3S Touring, only a Grand Touring. Yet the guy at the dealership is trying to sell me a Touring. Looks pretty close to the grand touring, but no leather, I am so confused!

(I wish my wife wanted a MS3 :( )

Im pretty sure the 12s are all Touring, and the only real option you can add that gets expensive is Tech package.
There are not 2 versions that have different types of seat trim on the speed3.

My 12 has everything possible and I checked the window sticker and it simply says Touring and then Tech Package under Optional Equipment.

Are you in the US? The Mazda site for me shows the exact opposite. Touring every where and no mention of a grand touring on the 12s

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Nodoze posted:

That seems like a good price for that much time, and it looks really fun too.

Oh also we have a couple skyactiv 3's at work now. I'll take some pictures tomorrow if I remember, and see if they will let me take one out for a ride

Cool! Look forward to your opinion on it if you able to do so.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

As I'll never own one with an auto, look forward to hearing if the acceleration issue clears up a bit on the manual set up.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Im in the same boat now too. I had a care out there for the CX-5 but now that Manual Trany is poor people spec only, I will have to pass once again on another mazda :(

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I cant seem to get into the Mazdaspeedforums. The place just seems somewhat childish in nature to me. Is there another mazdaspeed forum more catered towards those who dont tend to approve of Purple HIDz and sig mod lists?

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I rarely see the white ones driving around. That looks so nice!

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Revvik posted:

My dad's first Miata, I slammed into the (closed) garage when I was 12. He followed it up by hitting a deer at 75mph, totaling it out. My mom's first MPV burned up in a garage fire. Her second skipped its timing, eating the engine. Her third (newer model) did the same, this engine replaced under warranty.

My dad then decided things were too quiet with the family of Mazdas, so he bounced a deer off the hood of his second Miata. It soared over him, landing on his trunk and caving it in; not declared a total loss.

I just drove this Speed 6 home from the dealer today.

Am I going to die?

Am I reading that sticker correct at $12699?
If so wow, MS6s are getting down into a price range I can handle used wise.
The last time I looked they were up near $20,000.

Love the color! I think you will love it.

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 5, 2012

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I helped my aunt and cousin do some car shopping this weekend!
Hopefully this will offset the sadness of IOwnCalculus trading in the mazdaspeed3.

My aunt ended up with a CX-5 Touring

My cousin ended up getting a white 2012 Mazda3 touring, but I don't have any pictures of it just yet.
The paperwork signing ended after it was really dark and the dealership kept the car so they could tint the windows on the Mazda3.

I have no idea how this all got pulled off. I thought they were going to end up in a new CRV and Civic because of price.
It all worked out though.
This means that there are now 6 mazdas in the family.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Fingers McGee posted:

Tonight was kind of a whirl wind, at the end there is a Mazda 3 parked in front of my apartment. But this one smells nice, has the trunk cut off and has 263hp. Pics to follow when the sun is back.

Hooray for new pics!

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Springfield Fatts posted:

Mind if I ask where you are or if this was a dealer-specific pricing? Neither of the dealers in my area (north Florida) are willing to move off the 27k sticker for the 2013 with the tech pack. I'm hoping that will change when the redesigned 3s come out.

Where are you in north Florida?
Ive been by both the Mazda dealership in Pensacola and the one in Fort Walton Beach and both had huge sale stickers on the remaining 2013 MS3s they had left.
Pensacola was something like $2500 off when I was in there a month or so ago. The Fort Walton Beach location as of last weekend had a couple out front when I drove by that say '$3000 off MSRP' on them.

Sandy Sansing is the name of the Pensacola dealership. I believe the one in Fort Walton is just called Quality Mazda. Might be worth contacting either of those if they aren't too far north or west for you in Florida.

Crazy your local dealership is still trying to get msrp.

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 14, 2013

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Worst case scenario, just from Mazda you should be at least getting $1500 CUSTOMER CASH on the 13 mazdaspeed3. Valid through 9/3/13
I found that on the Shopping Tools> Special Offers section of mazdausa.com

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

trouser chili posted:

Ugh, I can't win with any of my cars lately. Tried to chase down the clunk in the rear of the Mazda5. Found a loose sway-bar end-link. Replaced it, still clunks. Whatever is going on, everything I grab and give a good shake looks and feels tight. I tried driving with the rear sway-bar disconnected, still clunks. Took out everything inside from the back and drove about with the doors and hatch open, still clunks. I've inspected the shock mounts, they're not cracked, I've inspected the springs, they don't seem to have any imperfections. I did note that the eccentrics for caster adjustment were nowhere near each other in setting. Not sure what to make of that.

Hope you eventually figure it out. Mine does the same thing. Ive drat near replaced everything and it just comes back.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

Definitely recommend disconnecting or charging your battery if you're going to leave your car sitting for a long time, I was a dumbass and didn't (and couldn't get anyone else to do it while I was overseas) and it kilt the original battery. Lo and behold, that's not covered on the "everything's covered" plan that comes as you pay. Was cheaper/faster to just fix it myself.

Two new questions: How much should a good auto-tint job run for a Mazda 3 hatch (2011)? Highly rated place here advertises for like $289 but honestly that seems a bit steep, but I really have no idea. Also, are the any after market pieces that you can attach to the top of the rear bumper? You know like many cars have to cover the plastic/metal bit just on the edge of the trunk or just inside the doors? I use my 3's hatch and expanded back seat a lot to haul furniture, dogs, etc, and the plastic on top of the rear bumper has taken a bit more of a beating than I expected. Seems (I hope) like putting a rubberized plastic piece that fits along the top of the bumper would be the best solution (and hopefully not look too bad).|

Thanks for all the help from a long while back guys, it was much appreciated. Still think this is the best looking hatch on the road, bar none. Starting to get annoyed that I can't use my headlights during the day *and* be able to see my gauges on the dash, but I have always been demanding like that.

I checked in both CO and FL on my 12 Speed3 and it was always between $160-$180 at decent shops. I also of course got a couple bids in the $230-$250 range but that just seemed silly and overpriced.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I think my favorite thing about my MS3 was the first time I tried out 3rd gear on the highway.
Little thing surprised me.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Kraftwerk posted:

I'm thinking of picking up a 2014 Mazda 3 fully loaded. Am I an idiot for spending this much on a car with a ~15k base price?

If you buy it, take some picks of how the HUD works.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

shoophobo posted:

Totally agree, I have the same problem. It just seems like a weird spot for a fuse box.

Is there anyplace in particular (besides the dealership) you guys get your accessories and parts?
I'm looking to get the official Mazda rubber all-weather mats http://parts.arlingtonmazda.com/products/ALL-WEATHER-MAT-%280000%252d8B%252dL82%29.html
Does any one have them? Or any of the new 2014 accessories? I'd like to know what you think.
Anyway I emailed the parts department at my dealership, they wanted $100 + shipping and tax for the mats. I've seen them on ebay and shops like the above link for around $95-100 including shipping, not saving too much but at least it'd save me a trip to the dealer.

I have the all weathers for my mazda5 because weather tech and husky dont make the digitalfit ones for 2006. My 2012 speed 3 has the weathertechs. I hands down prefer weathertechs even though they are far more expensive.

Though it looks like the weathertechs dont exist yet for 2014. Bummer

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 30, 2013

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Jealous Cow posted:

The Honda dealership I went to practically tried to give away the CRV.

The exact same thing happened to my aunt while trying to decide between a CRV and CX-5.
I thought she would go honda even though she liked the mazda better because mazda couldn't touch all the things honda was throwing at her.
She did end up getting the cx-5 though which was awesome.

You will enjoy it. Awesome write up by the way. Its nice to read summary reviews of all those other cars Ill probably never get around to driving.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

SiB posted:

Why can't we have this in North America????? I would trade in my GM 1/2ton instantly.

http://youtu.be/RSzb5gb8jgY

I sat in one of these when in Thailand and I thought the exact same thing :(
Shame we will never be getting those.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

So tonight I was able to complete minor surgery on my little sister's 2006 Mazda6i!
I replaced the ECT sensor and turbine speed sensor to clear some CELs that have been on for a while.

I was also going to swap out the thermostat but ran into a problem trying to determine the best way to get the old one out.
On my 2006 mazda5 it was easy as I could stick my little hand in from the front and remove everything. No need to remove the tensioner or the belt.
On my sister's 2006 mazda6, there is the power steering reserve right in the way which is complicating things. I really dont want to have to remove the power steering reserve nor the belt unless I absolutely have to.

Has anyone done something like this on a mazda6? Am I over thinking it or is there an easier way?

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

the spyder posted:

This should be fun. '19 Touring CX-3. Bought it for my wife, but I've been driving it this last week and really enjoying it.

Is that Deep Crystal Blue Mica or Eternal Blue Mica?

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Thanks! The color selector on the Mazda website sucks, and the colors look nothing like they do in pictures or in person.
I am thinking of going to look at the 19 CX-5s with the turbo when they start showing up, and I like that blue a lot.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Steely Dad posted:

I’m thinking about a CPO CX-5 and I have a few questions:

1. I love Soul Red, but I’m not willing to deal with the fragility of the paint. Are there any other problem colors?

2. Are there any first-year-of-refresh issues with 2017s?

3. How annoying are things like Lane Assist? I had a rental Sonata that had a lot of those features and they’d make the car swerve on freeway on-ramps and whatnot. Are they easy to disable if I don’t like them?

4. Are there any known issues I should look out for when I’m looking at the car?

E: either Touring with the Preferred Package or Grand Touring, if that’s relevant. There’s also a Grand Select I would consider if the safety stuff is annoying.

1. I've had soul red through 2 colorado winters and its no more fragile than any other paint I've had on any other car. It's beautiful and I'd buy it in that color again in a heartbeat.
2. This i dont know.
3. Mazda's lane assist isn't aggressive at all. If its on, the wheel shakes a little. It doesn't bounce all over the place or correct you on its own. I've driven systems that do that, and the mazda isn't one of them.
4. Also don't know this one.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Gros Tarla posted:

Well, today is the day!

Finally found a sucker to grab my Model 3 for an absurd price and giving Mazda a shot with a CX-5 Signature in Soul Red for a very good price. The interior is pretty loving great compared to the Tesla, dang.

Pretty jazzed, let's hope this is reflects better on my decision making abilities.

Congratulations from a fellow Soul Red Signature owner!
When I first heard of the chocolate seats and black headliner, I didn't really care. Now I love both.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

For some reason I don't see too many Soul Red CX-30s driving around. Always seem to see blue. That's looks awesome! Congrats!

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Had one of those as a rental last month. Really liked it. Congrats!

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

That's fun. I wish they had something like that for the older style key fobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Having rented a couple newer model mazdas, the flat key looks cool until you touch it. Then it feels really cheap.
I think I prefer the 2012-2019 Mazda Fobs. Even the Switchblade ones from the early 2000s felt better than the new ones.