Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

I want to get into collecting cool stuff like you guys. Where do I start? Where are the best places to buy online? Do you goons have any group to buy/sell figures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Let us know what you're into (characters, movies, books, games, etc) and you'll be showered with info.

Right now I'm into movie stuff (Predator/Alien/Robocop), Batman, Superman and some videogame stuff like Metal Gear and Metroid.

edit: Also Street Fighter. The thing that got me interested in this were a trio of kidrobot blindboxes that I bought on impulse.

Lencho fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 1, 2014

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Thanks a lot for the tips guys! That BBTS site has everything I could possibly want. I'm located in north Mexico, so brick'n'mortar it's not an option. Its Revoltech a good brand? The Sci-Fi series Alien Xenomorph and MGS Revengeance Raiden look pretty great. The prices look reasonable, it seems that my first order is not gonna be too hard on my wa-

quote:

By a 300 dollar Hot Toys figure. And then you'll be hooked forever.

Dear god :stare:

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Just got my first order from BBTS:

I'm really impressed with the Big Chap, it's a little bit smaller than the NECA one but the level of detail is amazing. I got that Robocop figure because I'm a sucker for stupid gimmicks, really liked the box design though. I'm still looking for a place to put them.
I'm going to order the Arkham City Batman from Play Arts next, and that's gonna be it for me for a while(well, until I can afford to get a Hot Toys figure).

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

I just got the MAFEX Joker and Figuarts Batman figures and both are pretty rad. Is there any cool Superman figure in this scale or I'll have to wait 'til the release of Figuarts Superman?

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

shymog posted:

That thing looks wonderful, if a little big. I might need to get that for my nightstand...

Does anyone have first-hand experience with the SH Figuarts Big Chap? I've read a few glowing reviews, but for some reason the coloring looks off to me in lots of the pictures.

I like the Revoltech Big Chap better. The detail and articulation are great (smoky head dome!), but it's a little bit tiny.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

I got my Iron Man Mk.43 Figuarts from HLJ and it is really awesome. I hope they get enough Caps, I'm not really big into preordering stuff.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Just received a package from Japan:

I really shouldn't have bought this, but Extremis is my favorite armor. Sculpt, articulation and painting are all top notch in this figure.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

therealjon_ posted:

No they are different scales, Marvel Select is much larger.

I think he is talking about this knock-off figure. It seems that it's a bootleg of the Super Alloy Iron Man Mark 42 figure from Play Imaginative.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

The Diddler posted:

I kinda want this, but it'll really depend of the price.

I love my Extremis Iron Man, and I was seriously thinking about getting the rest of the RE:Edit series, but preorders for this figure are a little bit over $200 bucks. It's something like $70-80 USD pricier than the rest of the figures.

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

Isn't that just the Mk.I with a bunch of extra poo poo taped onto it?

Yes, but Sentinel is making redesigned armors based on comics, they are not trying to be movie accurate like almost everyone else, and that's a plus to me.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So, uh, how are the Re:Edit Iron Man figures? There's a big Re:Edit display up at WonFes with an Iron Patriot and Hulkbuster, and I think I need one. Are they as good as they look? Because they look amazing.

They are amazing.

They are expensive as hell, but it's by far the best figure I own. It's a shame that Iron Patriot its a WonderFest exclusive.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Hey guys, what would you think would be a fair price for a S.H. Figuarts Darth Vader figure with bonus display base stand? Got 2 extra figures and Ebay prices are all over the place right now.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

The Big Chap ReAction is actually pretty cool but that's it, everything else in that line looks like absolute crap.

Lencho fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 19, 2015

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Just got this guy from Amazon:

I really hated the Injustice costume designs in the game and comics, but somehow, SH Figuarts has produced some amazing figures despite them. I think that I like it even bettter than my SH Figuarts Batman figure.
It's a shame that the line is dead after only 4 figures, I hope they make some more DC characters figures with better designs in the future.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

It really looks kinda lovely:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcTajgDiCPk
(spanish).
S.H.Figuarts are a great option for movie Iron Man figures, but if you wanna spend more than 100 bucks on an Iron Man, I would recommend the SEN-TI-NEL ones.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Play Arts Kai figures are kinda cool, but I hate that plastic sheen effect that all of them seem to have. It doesn't look that bad on some figures, but head sculpts in particular tend to look weird as hell.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Just got some new stuff from Japan today:

Bruce Lee it's a pretty frikin' amazing figure.The likeness in particular is astonishing for a figure in this scale. Articulation it's also great, and I really like the fact that it can do kicking poses without a stand pretty easily. It's a little bit on the small side at just over 5" tall, but it doesn't bother me that much.

Snake it's easily one of the best Revoltech figures I have ever seen. Revoltech joints are not for everyone, but they give the figure a great range of movement and it comes with a poo poo ton of accesories, so that's a plus on the "playability" side. It's also surprisingly taller and heftier than I expected, Revoltech figures are usually a little bit smaller than every other line, but this fits easily with other 6" figures.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Four questions;

1) Does anyone have the Figma Robocop, and if so would you recommend it?

The sculpt and accesories are good but the face is awful. Neca is better for the price.

quote:

2) Same question for the Figma Captain America

Both S.H. Figuarts Caps are waaaaaay better. They are on the small side compared to Marvel Legends, but they scale great with other japanese figures.

(Left is S.H.Figuarts, right is Figma)

You also should get the S.H. Figuarts Bruce Lee. The likeness is uncanny and it's a really fun figure to just pose around.

Lencho fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 9, 2016

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Haha, is that face a joke?

I wish.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

I think I'm in love...

Sentinel sure makes some cool rear end figures.
I have resisted the urge to buy their War Machine figure, but I think I'm gonna get this one right away.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Sentinel Red posted:

Don't dare tease me so. It breeds hope, and hope is a cruel lie.

:(

Hope sometimes pays off...

Lencho fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 30, 2016

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Fuzz posted:

Revoltech figures seem kinda lovely and... revolting. :downsrim:

Revoltech figures are generally hated, but nothing else comes even close in terms of possability. The joints tend to look bad (specially shoulders), but you can reduce that with creative posing. I guess the problem it's that they always look kinda weird in neutral poses.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Fuzz posted:

The accessories on that one seem to look terrible... also don't much care about the diseased scrotum face, would have preferred more actual masked expressions.

The new Revoltech one seems to be polarizing people, but looks pretty cool...

Don't listen to the haters. If you like to pose figures, Revoltech Deadpool is awesome.

Lencho fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 4, 2016

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Fuzz posted:

Sweet, but I heard the shoulders are weird for non photos?

This is really just a problem in certain poses or angles. Right now he looks pretty good on my shelf.

Louisgod posted:

Some people hate him but I've always liked ShartimusPrime's reviews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgH-RQO-28c

This is a great review. He can be kind of annoying, but he always makes some good points.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Got some new poo poo from Japan today:

After watching some reviews, I wasn't expecting much from Mafex Superman, but it really isn't that bad. The humongous cape can be a nuisance to work with, but everything else is much better than I expected.
Armored Batman it's just plain awesome. My only gripe is that the figure doesn't come with the kryptonite spear or any alternate head, those are gonna be included with Knightmare Batman for some stupid reason.

Also got this one from the HLJ sale last month:

She was only 12 bucks, so it was hard to resist.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

New poo poo from Japan!

Wonder Woman it's a lot better than the reviews led me to believe . Paint app on the face is not as good as the prototype, but I still like the head sculpt in general. Got some blue paint from the skirt on the legs and the shoulders look weird, but those are not really dealbreakers for me.
Hulk's sculpt and paint job it's absolutely awesome. My only complain with the figure it's the weird sliding socket joints they used for his legs, it pops off way too easily. It uses the same joint system for the arms but it's not that bad there.
Now I'm hoping that Bandai makes another Black Widow and a MCU Spider-man, but I seriously doubt it.

Lencho fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 13, 2016

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Fuzz posted:

Just pulled the trigger on the Figma Solid Snake because I've got poor impulse control. :suicide:

Anyone have one? Really, I want an MGS3 Boss one with two heads - with and without bandana, and multiple faces both with and without the eyepatch. Then a knife, the 1911, the tranq pistol, a dead snake, a cigar, and the box.

... so basically I want Figuarts to make it, since their faces are better anyway.

I sold mine after getting the Vulcanlog Revoltech Venom Snake. It's a good figure, but his face it's just too stylized for my taste. The Vulcanlog Snake it's kind of a pain in the rear end to pose, but it looks really great and has a lot of cool accessories.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

ShimSham posted:

How does AmiAmi not let you cancel preorders? They don't even let you put in payment information until they calculate shipping when the preorder is ready.

Couldn't you just... not pay?

I got out of a pre-order once by sending them an e-mail explaining my economic situation. They cancelled the pre-order, but said that it was a one-time deal and that if it happens again they'll just ban my account.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I've said it before but all the 1:12 supermans are also terrible. It's really too bad. To my previous point, the Icons version is the closest thing (in spite of the odd face paint apps).

I got both Mafex BvS Superman and Figuarts Injustice Superman and they aren't really that bad. Both have a number of big issues (especially Mafex Supes), but they still look great and have good articulation.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

cyberia posted:

What makes the Mezco 1:12 figures so good? On Amiami they're twice the price of, say, a Mafex figure and while I can see some slight differences I can't see twice the price worth of differences.

They are twice the price on Japanese sites because they are imports. Same thing happens with HK based companies like Storm and ThreeA and even with US companies like Diamond Select. I don't have any Mezco figure yet, but I have played with some of them in person and I can easily say that they are really high quality toys. Articulation is good, but it's usually hindered by the cloth goods. The main issue with this line is that some times they look like 6" Hot Toys (Spock, Frankenstein, Daredevil), but some other times they look like chubby Mego figures (DK Batman, Flash, Captain America).

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Just got this one earlier:

Articulation is compromised by the suit material, and mine came out of the box with some scratches and discoloration, but it just looks so great. I like it a lot better than the Mezco one.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Grem posted:

I have the lowest standards of anyone here besides maybe sex doll guy and I think those look like trash.

I think that Batman at least looks pretty dope:
http://news.toyark.com/2017/07/10/u-s-release-sh-figuarts-justice-league-batman-258912

Wonder Woman face look really weird on every preview shot I've seen. I already got the Mafex one, so I think I'll pass this time.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Just got some new poo poo from Japan:

The sculpt and paint on this figure is amazing, but the articulation is not as good as my other Sentinel Iron Man figure. It was stupidly expensive at retail, but I got it used from Amiami at a great price, so I can't really complain.

I had seen some of the other One:12 figures before and wasn't really impressed by the Mego-esque look of some of them, but this one is on a whole other level. The face sculpts in particular are extremely well done for something in this scale.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Got a couple of new arrivals today:

Wolverine is easily the best figure (at least aesthetically) in the Amazing Yamaguchi line. Itīs a little bit trickier to pose than Deadpool or Spider-man, but it's still capable to reach almost any pose you could want. It also can be posed in a natural looking neutral pose, so that's a big plus.
Scorpion is my first Storm Collectibles figure. I wasn't really expecting much since I got it relatively cheap from Amiami, but I got to say that I'm extremely impressed. The sculpt and paint job are really good, lot of accesories, and has a surprisingly great range of motion, since it's mostly made of soft plastics. My only gripes are the size (this is definitely not a 1/12 figure as the box says) and the wonky proportions, but overall its still an amazing figure.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

The Diddler posted:

Where'd you get Wolverine from? I ordered from BBTS, but apparently he doesn't come with the cigar? I dunno for sure, he's still in my Pile of Loot, but I was slightly disappointed that I'm getting the weird cigar hand but no cigar.

Got them both from amiami. The cigar comes from the Vulcanlog Venom Snake figure.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

I looked up the KO and yeah it's pretty bad. I guess my poorly worded point was that even if I was trying to get the Japanese version, it looks like I could save a pretty significant amount over retail by going through eBay, but then I run the risk of someone selling a KO and misrepresenting it as genuine.

It's getting a re-issue on January: http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-026301

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

I got a new haul from the Netherlands today...

I was too late for Judge Death, but I got both of these at a great price from a store called Mintyfresh. The sculpt on these is absolutely amazing for the scale and the faux vinyl material looks great, but, like with the Dredd figure, it hinders the articulation a little too much. My only real gripe with these is that they didn't use hinges on Judge Fear's helmet and that they feel fragile as hell.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Some of those One:12 figures work really well, like Punisher, Armored BvS Batman, Frankenstein, Green Arrow, and the Star Trek figures. They also tend to look a lot better in person.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Just got this bad boy earlier today:

Regular Mezco Superman looks really weird, so I didn't expect this one to look so frickin' good. My only real complain it's the lack of an alternate head sculpt, but it is absolutely worth it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yes.

Except Revoltech; I hate those joints.

Revoltechs are great if you are willing to learn how their joints work. Nothing else on the market compares in terms of possability.
But to each his own I guess.