Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

While I wish I could find a good MLS-centric podcast, really, Football Weekly is about all I need to survive. Guardian is advertising on their site that it's the top sports podcast on iTunes and I can see why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ICA posted:

How long until Football Weekly's back :( I need my Barry Glendenning and Dr. Sid Lowe.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

calcio posted:

I'm not up on the story and stopped listening to WSD a long time ago. But from what I gather he said Liverpool fans were responsible for the deaths and refused to back down. The fans got pissed rightfully so and got all his advertisers to pull the plug?

he basically was a gigantic cock about Hillsborough, early and often. If he's using that as an explanation for the show going away, well...maybe the advertisers decided they had had enough too.

I'm also sad at the loss of coverage in the U.S. but honestly I wasn't listening to it, ever, because it was poo poo. If somebody does better stuff and with more of an MLS focus I'd gladly listen.

But for me it's Football Weekly, which is BACK with a vengeance :swoon:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MoPZiG posted:

Hearing Glendennings reactions in anticipation of the Ireland draw was hilarious.

Definitely laughed way too hard and made some girl think I was terribly creepy when I was listening to that in a study area at school a couple weeks ago. First thing I think they've had to bleep out on FW! :haw:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

luvd posted:

Arseblog is okay for news, but the podcast is terrible.

the news-y bits on the podcast and the interviews (despite being Skype-tastic) are quite good, but the regular gags and bits are....ugh.

Football Weekly is still the best though.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Guardian is apparently doing World Cup Daily during the tournament, too. That should be awesome.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mickolution posted:

Anyone know when the different podcasts are doing their season previews?

I think Football Weekly returns this week, dunno if it's just Thursday or both days.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Thank gently caress Football Weekly is back.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MoPZiG posted:

New French guy on the Guardian Pod is quite good. Does this mean the end of Paul Doyle?

doubtful. Probably just happened to be in London with enough time to be on the podcast, he's a full-time writer for France Football, so I doubt he'll even be as regular as Dr. Sid or any of the other contributors.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

jyrka posted:

The drunk Barry episode is pretty good.

Bazza is a legend.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ICA posted:

Can't believe so many of you actually thought that was legit Sid.

It was. They've done other stuff ([edit] I remember specifically a Spanish La Liga season preview video) where he's mic'd up properly and not talking on a cell phone, and that's what he sounds like. Usually he's on a cell phone wandering somewhere, and that sounded like he was on a computer via Skype.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 27, 2010

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I'll have to give that a listen, cheers for the recommendation.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Atomic Dog posted:

I wish Philippe Auclair was in more pods :allears:

he's popped up on a couple of Arsenal-specific podcasts in the second half of the season and been absolutely fantastic each time. There was one "state of the Arsenal" version of the Online Gooner that had him, the guy from Arsenal Supporter's Trust and Amy Lawrence from the Guardian/Observer and it was the greatest thing ever from my point of view.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nimmy posted:

Yeah, that's probably the Dream Team. AC Jimbo, Barry, Honigstein, and Duarte. Maybe Jonathan Wilson on the blower.

alternate Duarte, Wilson, and Philippe Auclair and I'd be happy every episode. Maybe add Zonal Marking aka Michael Cox in for youth and enthusiasm. I don't think anybody on Football Weekly is aggressively terrible, but there are plenty of guests who are really anonymous.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MoPZiG posted:

Because Arsenal are a shambles I truly enjoy Alan Davies and co. losing their minds on the Tuesday Club even though I am not a gooner.

I think they've gotten real tired of them the last two seasons, the number of shows has gone from almost weekly to monthly, unless something insane happens. That said the Bradford City show from last year was an all time classic since they were recording some of it during the match. But yeah, I'm an Arsenal fan so it's a good listen albeit schizophrenic to say the least.

For The Natural, it depends on what you want to listen to. I could recommend a few (The Best Soccer Show and Arseblog's Arsecast spring to mind) but they're primarily for American fans or Arsenal fans. Updating the recommended shows list in the OP might be a good idea.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Baz both forgetting about the game he live blogged and then dropping in hints about crossing paths with AC Jimbo was quite good.

I should really tune back in for the Ramble too because I'm sure the lid is completely off for the England hopes this time after the 6-1.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

webmeister posted:

That section with Wilson was absolute gold.

"So what happens now Jonathan"
<five minute ramble about getting some breakfast>
"Producer Jonathan suggests this part might not make the pod .. I actually meant what happens now with the game"

It wasn’t just about getting breakfast, it was also letting one of the other writers handle the fun of negotiating extending time on their Airbnb rental. “Hope I don’t find my bags out on the curb” but not apoplectic if it happens, that’s the sign of someone who’s done some traveling alright.

Also Max asking “are you going down if they set a new date?” and Wilson saying “no they had their shot” is pretty good arrogance too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Did laugh at the Southgate criticisms being transferred to Solskjaer with Barry chirping up 'he's got you there!'

Then the Bielsa stuff “so you’re saying tactics DO matter”

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bogan Krkic posted:

This sums up all my opinions really well tbh, I don't miss anything about how Jimbo hosted FW that Max doesn't now cover, and TFS feels really stilted at times with Jimbo as host, because of how much he just steers the conversation rather than actually engaging

Yep. I made the choice last year to stick with FW and haven’t regretted it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

"Sent us all a photo of a Dog in a a hat with the line 'I put a hat on a dog'"

"Taking the 'yogurt pots for hats' role seriously I see"

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mickolution posted:

Paul Doyle is having some fun writing the Rumour Mill today:

Go off, king

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Of loving course Wilson is a Paradox game player, I should’ve seen that coming a mile away.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Also Barry's twitter av is tremendous

Squires is absolutely brilliant.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

an_mutt posted:

in fitting with the current discussion on football intolerance, how poo poo Lars is, and podcasts in general lacking content to fit in an hour, i'm glad that Lars informed listeners of yesterday's football weekly that one thousand, four hundred and eighty-eight people have provided google reviews for the next venue of the carabou cup 1st round draw

I heard that and wondered if he remotely had any clue what he'd just done.

Tim Stillman appearing was good, I didn't realize just how useful he'll be right now (with the Women's World Cup and the Copa America both on).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’m enjoying David Squires’ interplay with Football Weekly

https://twitter.com/maxrushden/status/1145975614777823233

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I would agree although as an admittedly bias Arsenal fan I was a bit irritated they just went with 'lol why didnt they play the full strength team' as analysis when there were plenty of reasons for the selection, explained away by the pod as 'that crazy Unai Emery'.

:hai:

other than that it was fantastic.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Barry is absolutely the luxury Number 10 of the regular cast, and that's perfectly fine. There's always room for somebody to work smarter and not harder at these things.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

oliwan posted:

Lmao in what bubble do these people live

The United Kingdom, and/or the sports desk. Would’ve thought people at The Guardian would have heard the phrase but lord knows.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I mean there’s a reason Football Weekly usually took the summers off. Also, doing remote podcasts like that is definitely tough.

That said I enjoyed the chat this time, as strange as it’s been. Musa Okwonga is a good voice to add in.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

RideTheSpiral posted:

cant wait to listen to the lars sivertson podcast

It was actually entertaining and alright!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I've been enjoying Football Weekly but yeah that Forgotten Stories thing seems like a big swing and probably a miss.

Seltzer posted:

I stop listening when football stopped.... what have the podcasts been doing this entire time and how bad is it.

They've spent some time talking about the news as it's happened (including interviews when needed) but they've had a fun series talking about show regulars' favorite games, watching them over the weekend and discussing the impact and how different they are. They've also done biographical talks with some of the writers and regulars, which have been fun too.

Blasmeister posted:

The detective Wilson stuff is fun, imo. Thought the joke would wear thin but it's been good.

They put a joke out into the world (since Jonathan Wilson seems to focus on three things in life: football, cricket, and detective fiction) and they apparently had an actual honest-to-goodness detective novel writer to do these sections. It's been a fun listen.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I like where Max has gotten to now as host -- able to present what happens, but then steps to be the audience surrogate while supported by / surrounded by very smart people on the topics. Especially compared with the last two episodes, that smoothness or quality of broadcast is just missing a little bit -- not that Melissa is bad, just not as extra-super polished at that skill.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Xabi posted:

No one has mentioned the idiot spending 15 minutes on his stupid theory that football is the same without fans and that we really don’t need them?

I don’t think that’s what he meant, and considering who was making the comment, it was more “fans should come back when they get a better deal.” John Nicholson is more likely to be pro-fan than pro-team. So if ticket prices remain sky high, if the match schedules keep moving around last-minute and at tougher times to make, and if steps aren’t taken to correct that...yeah, maybe fans should take time coming back.

It’s the same logic as walk-outs/late arrivals to protest. Make it a very visible boycott and it might spark change.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I'm wondering if Football Weekly will drop down to two episodes a week again (I think three was just because it got busy). But it's also a bit nice to have time to discuss other topics and have a good rotation of guests on the third episode.

but with Stadio and others there's plenty to go around.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Eau de MacGowan posted:

The idea of dialogue written by barney ronay is just

Wow

let's hope there's an army of 'proper' TV writers in there to keep those two on track

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Roundabout posted:

I need to know though, what is the is the Max Rushden's microwave story? I tried to look it up but couldn't find it.

On one of the earliest times Max hosted when James was on vacation, Rushden shoehorned in a story about living next door to British radio DJ Trevor Nelson and borrowing his microwave but never giving it back. That’s basically it.

It came off as trying to name drop and was a reason some fans/listeners were worried about Max taking over full time. That it’s become a reference to bash Max with is quite good.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

nobody likes a liar, Max

HappyCamperGL posted:

the sa forums > supposedly about sports > the jizz hornkamp

co-sign

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lars being the one on Football Weekly who knows about Twitch and then dropping Hearts of Iron and CK3 references on the pod essentially confirms he’s a lurker here, no?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

oliwan posted:

Philipp Auclair defending Spotify as the "good" capitalism aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAaaAAaaaaaaah

Uhhhhh, he called them vampires my dude. And is a musician.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Especially since he was out late working at the Europa League final the night before.