Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

new jack plays the piano with his big black penis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

uno, dos, adios

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

as a smark i'm annoyed at the complete no-sell of the stipulations and booking. as a fan i'm annoyed because cena is real stale to me and the one thing that looks like they might change him up he goes right back to goofy comedy cena.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

jeffersonlives posted:

Funny thing is that Undertaker is going to win back to back match of the year awards ten years after that stupid rant while Kurt Angle's drawing eight thousand buys per show and hasn't had a legitimately great match in a long time.

another funny thing is that outside of that one good match a year, undertaker is complete poo poo, and kurt is still pretty good

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Saw this news bit about ratings in Mexico:

Do they use the same ratings system that usually gives WWE a 3.something average every week in America? If so, drat.

cmll and aaa are in a major downswing while wwe's production values & cool stars are kind of taking over in mexico right now. wrestling has always been hugely popular there so it's no surprise that the new kid in town that looks mega cool is getting those ratings.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Fair enough - I just didn't know if they used the same per household ratings system or if the 'exchange rate' on the number of viewers were different. Kinda like how a platinum record is 1 million in some countries and 500k in others or whatever.

i'm not sure either to be honest. but i'd assume it goes by population so an 8.2 in mexico is a shitload less viewers than an 8.2 in usa

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Atticus Finch posted:

I don't have a lot of time for wrestling (I still haven't watched DBDIV and I've had it for months :sweatdrop:) but I want to get into the indies a bit. It looks like PWG has a lot of great wrestlers from different promotions so I want to try to get into/follow that. Any advice on what to start with?

guerre sans frontieres
seven
as the worm turns
threemendous 2

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

eddie kingston is a fat poo poo

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Pwny_Xpress posted:

I watched wrestling from 96 - 04 or so. And I was too young to really think too far into anything but "dudes kickin the poo poo out of each other, this is fun"

So, what are the opinions of dudes like The Rock, Austin, HHH, Mick Foley, The Undertaker, Kurt Angle and the other superstars of the era, like outside of their success in the promotion? I dont really know what makes a wrestler good at what he does besides for being good on the mic and having exciting matches.

And what is the deal with "The Clique"? I was always a fan of the dudes (especially Hall and Nash) involved in that just from what you see publicly, but I hear they did stuff behind the scenes or something. Was it a good thing or a bad thing.

"kliq" was nash hhh hall xpac and hbk and they were pricks and had lots of political leverage and used it excessively.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Pwny_Xpress posted:

Is there any specific instances? And what is it that gives them leverage? just being popular?

someone else can elaborate on it but it would just be poo poo like not doing jobs. althoguh, and i could be wrong, hbk was much worse in his 97-98 run with hhh than with the kliq. but most of my knowledge comes from dirtsheets and anecdotes so yea

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

KungFu Grip posted:

What are some stories of Austin Aries being a huge jerk outside of the ring, like to fans.

i don't know any specifics but there's stories about people congratulating him after a match if they see him after the show, "great match" that kind of poo poo and he'll be like "how do you know its a great match?" and interrogate the guy about it or something. he's real weird

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

I'd love him to have a long and distinguished career in the WWE, and be the one to finally retire the legendary John Cena.

"I'm sorry, I love you."

*rear end punch*

wrong beef wellington

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

how can someone enjoy this stupid sport and not like el generico?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Rapetimus Prime posted:

I just started watching wrestling again after getting a new housemate who is massively into it (I grew up watching it from the early 90's up until just after the end of the WWF attitude era) and I'm reading a ton of wiki stuff and character biographies to catch up on the stories I've missed and the TNA and ROH stuff I never even knew existed.

Alongside this I see a lot of people have put out their own biographies and I'm wondering which ones are worth looking at? A quick browse through amazon and some googling reveals a lot of books that look more like company authorised (and therefore sanitised of anything interesting) biographies than the warts-and-all stuff most people prefer to read in a biography.

I'd be especially interested in anyone who was big in the time I first watched it but really anything with crazy wrestler hi-jinks would be acceptable.

jericho's first book is good, his second is trash. bret hart has a real good book.

jericho's is about breaking in and wcw. nothing about wwe.

bret's is about how his brothers used to piss in his face

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

ColeM posted:

Jericho's 2nd book would've been amazing if it wasn't for the Fozzy parts. Goddamn! I still haven't read all of them. I can only take so many "My band was awesome and no one realized it! Time to go play in front of 10 people again hahahah!" chapters before I fall asleep.

that's a very Froot opinion . haha. my fave part was when he got ricockulously drunk

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

the worst wrestler ever is kizarney

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Captain Charisma posted:

Hahahaha no you're all wrong, it's Kane

haha

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Hirams Bitch posted:

She had a match involving LayCool I believe at the Old School RAW last year.

yea she called them dirty names too

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

my friends always make a big deal about it and mock my favorite entrance themes it's time its time its noogie time

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

HulkaMatt posted:

Lots of good stuff out. Though if you want to watch good American wrestling you may have to open your wallet a lot more often.

PWG is also very great stuff. They aren't on TV, and only sell DVDs. If you want to watch shows that are really fun and just have amazing wrestling, this is the promotion for you. They bring in guys from everywhere (outside of WWE) such as ROH, TNA (though not as much), Japan, CHIKARA, wherever! They're not nearly as serious as ROH, and are much more vulgar than CHIKARA. The champion right now is El Generico. Everyone on the roster outside of like 3 people are amazing. Lots of long, amazing matches.

JAPAN is awesome. I'm serious. I love puro. I don't care if you don't know any Japanese, they have amazing matches and there is so much quality poo poo coming out today. ALL FOR FREE if you know where to look (Ditch). In fact, here is my favorite tag team match OF ALL TIME~! Talent to look out for? Way too much to mention.

agreed. dragon gate and new japan are ridiculous.

dragon gate is a lot more "spotty" outside of the main event scene (which is incredible at the moment) and new japan is more strong-style. there's tons of great poo poo for everyone

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

long ago i made a bret hart megathread. it sucked.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Rarity posted:

:stare: That was not on my DVD

it was edited out of dvd release

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

budreck posted:

TNA has shown constant growth.

nope

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

budreck posted:

So from what I gather, TNA gets financial backing from an energy company that's committed to losing money in order to make his daughter happy? It can't be that simple. Either there is a revenue stream or the company is a front for money laundering.

Isn't that 1.1 rating Spike's highest rated show?

In the cable world, a 1.1 considered impressive, no?

tna loses money hand over fist every single year, is currently getting 8000 buys at best on their pay per views, and hasn't gotten over a 1.2 rating in 10 years except like one time. the second they had any kind of competition their ratings plummeted and spike forced them back to thursday.

people like to cite an easier schedule as a reason that it's better for the wrestlers, but lately the schedule is similar to wwe's in terms of dates, and the pay is far worse. it' a lovely stupid company in every way and nobody should watch or support it ever.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

TUS posted:

How is Cabana's Wrestling Road Diaries?

its good some segments are too long

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

TL posted:

Why does Brock Lesnar vs. Undertaker, a match which has been done to death, seem to have some people thinking it would be some sort of WrestleMania Dream Match?

i think, because it was really good in 2002 and that was when undertaker was poo poo he was just poo poo.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

45ShadesOfDeath posted:

Aren't most sheets in the wrestling business dirt sheets?

Budum-tiss. Sorry, it was bad, but I couldn't let it go.

I forgive you

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

VogeGandire posted:

So we've all heard the stories, but just how involved are the yakuza in puro dealings?

very

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

blood warriors had all the titles in dragon gate after final show in 2011

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

hodor

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

vs. daniel bryan 2/3 falls
vs. big show i forgot which ppv

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

VogeGandire posted:

Just watch any match he's had this year.

don't do this. if you want to see why he's so praised try to find matches where he's a face (vs kota & low ki at latest tokyo dome is last real face match). his heel character is amazing but the matches aren't exactly blowaway

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Manwithastick posted:

In your opinion, Why has Hulk Hogan's presence and apparent popularity (as gauged by the NOC champs poll) not helped TNA?

cause it's a poo poo company run by idiots for idiots

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

percasuens

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

What's bad about Ole Anderson?

old

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Red posted:

Q: What was the single worst year for the WWF/E, financially, since Vince took over? Who was the world champ that year? Who was booker? Does any other year come close?

i think '95 with diesel but i don't know for sure but i think

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Nick_326 posted:

I've been meaning to watch NJPW's G1 CLIMAX 23 thing, but it's a lot of stuff to watch and I don't know where to begin. Any particular days or matches I should be sure to watch? I've already seen a good chunk of day 2 and Shibata vs Ishii, and that's pretty much it.

2, 4, 7, 8 if memory serves correct. 7 & 8 are last two days yeah? If not then the last two days

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

Who is the ugliest luchadore to ever be unmasked, Psicosis, Juventud, someone else? Has anyone ever been so ugly they made them put the mask back on?

Your mom :) And Jigsaw

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Bard Maddox posted:

I can't figure out what that asterisk is blocking can someone please help?

The letter "I"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Wish "U" were missing instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjE9J6xdQXY&t=78s