Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Finally got a bit tired of Tropico 4 after 70-odd hours, and I'm looking for some similar city-building games to play. I've played SimCity 4 and Anno 2070, but they don't really scratch the same itch. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

Good puzzle games, preferably more abstract than first-person. Just made my way through English Country Tune and really loved it. Looking forward to Stephen's Sausage Roll.

If you haven't played them yet, the Hexcells series and Spacechem are both very good.

Antichamber is both very abstract and first-person, so I don't know if that fits your requirements. It's really good, but maybe wait for a sale.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Can anyone recommend me the modern equivalent of Auto Modellista or Midnight Club 2? It's been a long time since I've played a racing game that I've really loved. I tried playing Hot Pursuit, but it just felt completely soulless, I'm not even sure how to quantify that but I felt no motivation to continue playing it.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

My compy broke and it looks like it's gonna be a couple weeks before it's fixed, so I'm looking for hidden gems for the Switch, PS4, or Wii U. Ideally games that aren't better with a mouse and keyboard (so nothing FPS). A stylish racing or action game would be ideal.

I was really enjoying Vanquish, Brigador, Doom, and The Surge before my computer crashed on me, so any games similar to those would be really nice - though obviously I don't just want to buy those games again, as tempting as it is.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

There's a bunch of (relatively) recent F2P multiplayer tank games -- World of Tanks, Armoured Warfare, War Thunder, and probably one or two others I'm forgetting. The two I've played (WoT and AW) fall into the sweet spot on the sim<->arcade axis for me: the simulation is fairly detailed, taking into account shot travel time, armour slope and thickness, positional damage, crewmember injury, field repairs, ammo loading/changing time, and so forth, but the controls are pretty simplified and abstract, basically boiling down to FPS controls to move the tank and aim the gun and a few hotkeys for switching ammo types or scope magnification. And the fact that you steadily unlock new tanks (and tank-destroyers and artillery) and new variants of or equipment for existing tanks means you never get bored of any one vehicle.

So my question is: are there any singleplayer games like that? There's lots of multiplayer games featuring tanks in various roles, there's stuff like Battlezone 1&2, there's FPSes that have one-off tank levels, but are there any games that are basically WoT/AW except it's a singleplayer campaign?

The game you want is Brigador.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Brigador is plenty fun but is also an isometric shooter and not in any way similar to what I asked for. :confused:

Sorry, I'd just noticed the bit about a large variety of tanks with a good balance of arcade & sim and completely overlooked the first-person part. My mistake!

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I'm looking to get into RTS games, anyone got recommendations for a good place to start? I'd prefer something quicker, more colorful, more arcade than simulation. I tend to get overwhelmed by managing multiple groups quickly, so something that eases you into that would be really nice!

Ideally it would have a good campaign.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Dawn of War 2, full stop.

Huh, I already own it for some reason. Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a look!

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I want something with really good feeling punchy shooting or "gunfeel" (and I don't really know how to say that without sounding like I should be put on a list), probably an FPS. Examples are games like FEAR 1 and Call of Juarez Gunslinger, the opposite would be stuff like... Prey or Hitman, I guess?

It's very subjective and know it when you see it, I've been playing a lot of strategy games and RPGs so I guess I have a craving to shoot a dude with a big magnum and have it feel good. Haven't played any of the modern Far Crys, considering 4

Vanquish, Binary Domain. I know it's low-res and probably not exactly what you want, but Nuclear Throne uses screen-shake and a slight pause to great effect in making the guns feel very good.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

khy posted:

I could use a cheerful game. Been playing WAY too many dark and serious games lately, and now I could use something lighter for a change, you know? Like a palate cleanser so to speak.

I usually prefer action/adventure type games but I've also been on something of an RPG binge. PC Preferred. Any and all recommendations are super welcome.

Yoku's Island Express is an extremely chill & relaxing little pinball adventure. It's also gorgeous. I don't usually love pinball, but they keep it pretty easy.

I haven't finished Creepy Castle, but from what I've played it's an extremely charming little puzzle/adventure/rpg/warioware game with good writing and cute characters.

Lovely Planet doesn't have a story to speak of but is a very fun arcadey first-person shooter with very katamari-damacy-esque visuals and music.

Roundabout is just your usual spinning limo simulator, but it's pretty cheerful.

Rayman Legends is just an incredible game by any standard but also keeps it very light and easygoing. Sort of a donkey-kongish platformer.

Guacamelee is a metroidvania that trades the recently-popular "dark souls but 2d" style for more of a festival feel, and also trades all the guns and weapons for Wrasslin' moves!

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I would loving kill for a game that was a 3rd person action hack-n-slash version of Diablo.

The game you're looking for is Nioh. It's maybe a bit too lethal to be considered mindless, especially when you first start, but it's pretty much exactly this. You can also make it more or less mindless later on depending on how you build your character - glass cannon, tank, mage, or possibly an axe perpetually swinging in a circle with a man placed in the middle.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm going to get a switch hopefully soon, what switch-exclusive games are must-buys? I've ordered BOTW, mario odyssey and smash ultimate, and plan on likely buying Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad, cadence of hyrule, and maybe mario kart 8. Is xenoblade chronicles 2 okay if I've never played any of the other(s)? Is there any way to get xenoblade chronicles 1 on switch yet? Any digital exclusive must-buys, too? Would this post be better suited for the main Switch thread?

Splatoon 2 is incredible. Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate is absolutely one of the best games on the system, but you could bounce off of it if you're not into that style of gameplay and it's hard to tell from the demo - maybe look up some video of it?

I found Xenoblade Chronicles 2 dull. I couldn't finish it.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm a Monster Hunter World fella, I've never liked any prior monster hunter games, so I'll probably just stick to MHW.

I've always liked the aesthetic of Splatoon, but how much single player stuff is there? I'm not really into multiplayer games anymore.

There's a bunch, especially with the expansion DLC, but if you're not going to touch multi it's probably not worth the purchase.

The only other essential I can think of for the system is Lumines Remastered, which isn't technically exclusive but is the perfect game to have on a portable system.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Hilario Baldness posted:

I'd love a recommendation as I slowly wait for Disco Elysium to come out for PS4.

I have a PS4 (and a dying PS3) and have an eclectic taste in games. I'm a fan of RPGs, JRPGs, adventure, horror, even sand box open world types.

Recent games I've played that I loved were Persona 5, the Dead Space trilogy (RIP), Resident Evil 2 remake, Witcher 3, Nier Automata, Metal Gear Solid 5, Night in the Woods, Stardew Valley.

If it's a recommendation for a JRPG, good story would be a bonus. Persona 5 is probably a rarity in that regard.

You've played Bloodborne and Monster Hunter World, right? They're must-haves.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Academagia is a lot like that, albeit turn-based rather than real-time. It is completely text-based though. It definitely fits the description of a simulation game where you're left to figure stuff out and you're given a lot of freedom to affect the world.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

ReWinter posted:

I'm looking for some 2D platformers that focus on combat and tight character control/movesets over pits-and-spikes platforming. I love learning boss patterns and getting used to the choreography of a tough encounter.

Some 16-bit era examples of this are things like Shinobi III and Contra: Hard Corps as well as almost anything by Treasure. Some Metroidvanias do this well too, although I've played most of the big ones. Any recommendations for this sort of title? I'm game for pretty much anything post 8-bit era. Bonus for 'duel bosses' - think the Zangetsu fights from Bloodstained, for example.

Copy Kitty is a criminally overlooked game that is basically Kirby 64 meets a treasure game.

garfield hentai posted:

Any suggestions for JRPGs on Steam that have interesting settings? I started playing Trails after tons of people saying it's great and while the game itself is pretty okay so far the story and setting and characters are so generic and bland. I also tried one of the highly acclaimed Tales Of games a while ago and bouncing hard off of that as well, anything with knights and castles makes my eyes glaze over (except DQ for some reason).

You've played Lisa, right? I've also heard that Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass is very good, though I haven't played it myself. If you haven't played them, Off and Space Funeral are both fantastic if short freeware RPGs.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Wuppo seems like it would be right up your ally. Yoku's Island Express is like one of those mixed with pinball and it's super chill and cute. Antichamber is a little different but it still has the feel of one of those, depending on what you like about them. It's more of an exploration puzzle game though.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Legend of Grimrock and the sequel were pretty good for that.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Fighting Elegy posted:

I'm burnt out from work and now have a vacation so I'm looking for some fun, really well-paced games to play, a heavy emphasis on cutscenes would be nice to. A few weeks ago I played MGS 3 and that was so perfect. The gameplay is awesome, but I also like that it has lots of long cutscenes and codec calls so I can take a break and smoke weed while my girlfriend hears the dialogue and makes fun of it.

Not looking for anything big or open world, just quick blasts of fun and campiness that feel fresh for a good 6 to 20 hours. Resident Evil games definitely match what I'm looking for as well. I got a PC (and emulators) and a ps4. I probably am going to buy ff7 remake soon (I think that might be along the lines of what I'm looking for) but more stuff to check out and revisit would be awesome.

Onimusha: Warlords
Binary Domain
Metal Wolf Chaos XD

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

If you're down for something survival-horror, Darkwood.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

You said you enjoy Nova Drift, so maybe give Monolith a try? Runs are fairly short and fairly intense, so you'll probably feel done after just one or two in any session. Streets of Rage 4, Post Void, and ZeroRanger are also fantastic games where after an hour of play I'm completely satisfied to put it down for a while.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

It's a bit of a stretch, but Lucah: Born of a Dream is a strange surreal action-adventure game with a bunch of interlocking mechanics in combat. It's got parries, dodges, charged attacks, a ranged option that recharges on melee hits, a bunch of different options for equipment and added effects, probably a bunch of stuff I'm forgetting about. It's good! The graphics may be tough to get past though.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

How necessary/how much focus is on the palico and the new dog companion? I got the impression that they're pretty important systems in Rise, but tbh I am just not interested in them and have never liked engaging with pet mechanics in games. I have 2 cats irl that I am totally obsessed with and I don't need virtual pets to replace them :colbert: I wasn't a fan of the grappling hook either but it's probably less clunky with mouse/keyboard than it was with Switch controls.

Not much. They're mostly just helpful, you don't have to feed them after every hunt or anything dumb like that. You can send a group of them out every five hunts to get more stuff but that's the same as in world. Riding a canyne around is fun.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I can think of a lot of games without progression systems, but thinking of games without any collectibles or optional challenges is tougher. Maybe something like Spectacular Sparky? Or Copy Kitty? Copy Kitty does have optional challenges to finish levels without losing more than x health or in less than y time, would that be too much? If you're okay with some extremely ignorable collectibles scattered around the levels, Freedom Planet could work. Thumper? It's easy to get into, even if it does get hard, but it does require all of your focus.

Just throwing this out there, maybe Rez Infinite? If you haven't already played it, I'd consider it pretty much the ideal version of what you describe.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I'm gonna have to second Cultic here, even with just the first half it's a solid 4-8 hours and the visuals, gameplay, and especially audio are all just incredible. The sound when you bust a head open with the lever-action rifle just never gets old. Seriously, some of the levels in the second half are my favorite FPS levels in recent memory.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

If you're fine trading depth of exploration for depth of combat, the Nioh series are probably my favorite souls-ish games and, although the levels you go through are basically full of hostiles, they're lush and it's implied that you're both helping people by doing this stuff and that other, peaceful areas where people live exist.

You also sometimes have like, just living people coming with you on missions so it often doesn't feel as lonely as the souls series can. Not to mention the friendly little goblins you can find that give you more healing items or the cat orbs you can find in 2.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

If you haven't already played them, Bayonetta 1-3 and Wonderful 101 are on switch and all basically work that way - long combos and good ratings (playing quickly without getting hit) get you more currency to buy upgrades and new moves. If you're willing to go back to PS2 somehow, God Hand has a very similar system to RE4's but a bit more transparent - as you play well and don't get hit, a meter fills that turns more of your drops into money instead of healing (and also makes enemies hit harder/faster).

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I know for a fact that Bayo 2 and 3 don't have item penalties, and if I remember correctly neither do DMC1 or Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, which might be right up your alley if it works on PS5.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

What is there in terms of horror games with actual gameplay (no walking sims) that most importantly don't have jump scares?

The ones I'm thinking of are Signals and Deadwood but I'll take anything with a good horror atmosphere, some kind of gameplay and no jump scares.

Nightmare of decay is short, but what's there is fun and the price is right. The Faith trilogy is really good and I think the first game is free so you can decide for yourself if you're into that style. The Count Lucanor is a good time and I've heard Yuppie Psycho is even better. I've also heard nothing but good things about My Friendly Neighborhood, and it has a pretty meaty demo - just waiting for it to go on a slightly deeper discount myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Blood West has stealth-archer and it feels pretty good, though some of the tougher enemies / minibosses will require either hit-and-run tactics or just nailing several headshots in a row. Or softening them up with some TNT. The bosses will also probably be pretty tough, but you'll have so much ammo if you're not using the guns you can just burn them down to get back to archering.