Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

There was a PS2 series called Shadow Hearts that I remember reading about and being interested in. The thing is, I think there are 3 games and you have to play them in a certain order but some people say not to bother with certain ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I just got a dingoo (portable emulation device). I know that GBA emulation is reportedly perfect but SNES emulation isn't and Genesis might as well not be there. I don't mind though because pretty much any SNES game I want to play has a rerelease for GBA.

So basically what were good GBA games, both original and SNES ports? So far I have:

Castlevanias
Final Fantasies
Marios
Metroid Zero Mission and Fusion
Zelda: LTTP
Advance Wars

I can't think of much else. Basically what were the best GBA games mainstream or obscure?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Jesus I knew I missed a few but not all those. Thanks, all that alone will make it worth having.

The megaman thing reminded me: The Megaman Zero games were pretty fun if not stupidly hard and unfair sometimes.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Walton Simons posted:

More an either/or: is it worth playing Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops or should I skip straight to Peace Walker? In terms of both story and gameplay. I've heard mixed things about PO.

MGS: Peacewalker is a legitimately good MGS game. Kojima wanted to call it MGS5 at one point. MGS: PO is a side game that is retconned entirely in the first 5 minutes of Peace Walker. The gameplay is also much, much better in PW, I think it actually has some of the strongest focus on gameplay in the whole series.

Play Peace Walker, skip PO - both in terms of story and gameplay.

What system are you playing these on?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Walton Simons posted:

Thanks, will go for Peace Walker directly, on PSP.

PW has also come out on 360 and PS3 in an HD version if you have either one of those.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sonseray posted:

Okami for the Wii.

Hope this helps.

Cuntpunch posted:

If we're stretching Metroidvania to include third-person games, it is worth noting that Darksiders and Darksiders 2 are basically big Metroidvania games, at least as much as Tomb Raider - big worlds, interconnected thematic areas, equipment/skill upgrades/unlocks to enable progression through previously inaccessible areas.

I think you guys are crossing your Nintendo game wires, Metroid and Zelda were different games :v:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Everyone should play Okami :colbert:.

Okami was pretty awesome. I wanna play the HD version on PS3 but I'm waiting in case it goes free.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

A bit of a specific request:

I'm looking for a game for the PC with stealth mechanics like Mark of the Ninja. It doesn't necessarily have to be a platformer, any genre will do. I've got my eye on Deus Ex HR Director's Cut, and I even enjoyed the stealth in Skyrim to a point. Generally I'm looking for one where combat will never be necessary as long as you don't get caught--no forced boss battles or stuff like dragons from Skyrim. On the other hand if I'm caught I don't want it to be an instant game over; even in MotN you could use your tools and hide/kill enemies if you really felt like it, and I generally don't want to have to save/load every time I make a misstep.

Horror's not really my thing though, so I'd appreciate it if recommendations could avoid that.

Deus Ex:HR is really good, as well as Dishonored which was awesome in a different way. I will say this though - I went through DX:HR trying to do a nonlethal run, I would occasionally attack someone but I'd always try to not kill them, and I'd take a lot of care to make sure I wasn't spotted. In Dishonored I was a teleporting angel of death. I would play stealthily but the stealth involved using the teleport power to blink behind someone and slit their throat, then blink onto a roof. Getting caught and trying to run away instead of fight your way out was a lot of fun, mainly because of the powers. Dispatching your target then just sprinting outside as fast as you can blinking past guys and hearing them shout "WITCHCRAFT" as you possess a rat and escape through a sewer.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Dregs posted:

Any good SRPG's similar to Final Fantasy Tactics that aren't Ogre Battle, XCOM, or Disgaea? preferably on PC, PS3, or Wii?

I've only played the 3DS Fire Emblem game but it was pretty cool, if a bit simplified compared to something like FF:Tactics. You should have access to some with a Wii and PC, but I'm honestly clueless outside of the 3DS one as to which are good.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

joshtothemaxx posted:

I am really into games now that have 1) a reasonable but very tough difficulty level/curve, and 2) a huge amount of variety in how you can play the game. Story isn't important, but the world needs to be at least pretty cool (meaning no anime crap or half-naked girls running around for no reason).

The past two games I bought, beat, and then played a LOT more were Dark Souls and Rogue Legacy. What else is in that vein? Preferably on Steam?

Does multiplayer count? Because DOTA2 is the definition of very tough difficulty curve/huge variety.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

C-Euro posted:

The Fire Emblem series is pretty well-known for this, and I've heard that the 3DS Fire Emblem is arguably the best in the series and has a lot of customization. The only thing you might not like is that FE characters usually aren't blank slates at the start, both mechanically and story-wise. Also I think Wesnoth has gotten better-looking over the years so maybe look at that again?

As for me, I got grifted by a "buy 2, get 1 free" deal at Gamestop yesterday so now I have Kirby Superstar Ultra, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, and Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia in my backlog. Which should I play first?

Those are all good and you should play them all

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

Starcraft 2 really is the only one with a sizeable MP community, sadly, even if I feel its gameplay is kind of outdated. It's very simple, but that's by design.

CoH had a somewhat disappointing sequel. It's not terrible, but it's not at the same level as the original.

There's also Airland Battle, but that's a very different beast from the games you're describing.

I think RTS games have kinda fallen out of favor with everyone who wasn't super into them moving over to DOTA, LOL and similar games.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

hampig posted:

Couple of questions: what is the world like to explore? I watched some friends play and it was all corridors.

Also, how essential is a controller for PC? I've been told essential and at this stage I'm trying to hold off buying a 360 controller with steam controllers/xbox one controllers round the corner.
Will have to give it a try

Oops probably should have said PC only.

Steam controller is pretty clearly not meant to take the place of a traditional gamepad. A lot of games will now release on PC and not even bother to make KB/M remotely playable because they know you'll have a controller and it's not worth the effort.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Inadequately posted:

On the topic of RPGs, it kind of got lost on the last page, but are there any notable RPGs that take place in a modern day setting? Been playing Persona 4 and The World Ends with You recently, and quite enjoying them. Something similar to Earthbound works too.

The entire SMT series takes place in the modern day, but not always in a realistic setting. The Persona games are usually just normal, slice of life real world with weird stuff in the background like you've seen. The mainline SMT games are always in modern Tokyo, but usually after an apocalypse or something :v: Nocturne is for PS2 and hard to find, the most recent SMT4 is for 3DS. The SMT: Devil Survivor games (DS) take place in modern tokyo WHILE the apocalypse is happening. They're grid based SRPGs though, so less running around talking to people, more fighting and choosing menu options to select where to go outside of combat.

None of them feel as real world as Persona 4 though. Persona 3 also had you going to highschool and making friends except your party members included a dog, elementary schoolkid, and robot.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sinking Ship posted:

So for some reason I have both a 3DS and a PS Vita and I own 1 game between them (Soul Sacrifice) mostly because I had a friend who was a junkie for owning every console who talked me into making irresponsible financial decisions. Now I'm hoping to get some kind of return on that investment (in the form of a game I might play). I like wordy RPG type games (like pretty much Bioware's whole catalog I've enjoyed to some greater or lesser degree) and I'm bad at twitch reflex button masher type games (like I really don't enjoy most FPS CoD type games, or arcade style bullethell type games - because I have terrible reflexs / game playing abilities). Also I have a soft spot for animu type games - on the previous generation of consoles I played and enjoyed Fate/Extra, Final Fantasy Tactics, and the Corpse Party games.

I play PC games pretty much exclusively so I really have no idea what (if anything) is worth buying for handhelds, so I'm sorry if this request is overly broad / vague it's just I see these handhelds every time I open my desk drawer and I feel I would be happier if I played them ever.

I hate to sound like a broken record but Persona MotherFucking 4

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

So I bought myself a 3DS using money from Christmas and I'm looking for some must have games for the system.

Currently I own:
Fire Emblem Awakening
Project X Zone
Etrian Odyssey IV
Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies

Keep in mind I never owned a DS so any standouts from that library should be considered too.

You might be into SMT4 as well based on the kind of games you've bought. Super Mario 3D Land is pretty great. Other than that I'd beat what you have before buying more stuff, you should be busy for a while.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kalenden posted:

For the PC: I'm looking for a casual, singeplayer, campaign/career focused racing game. Something that's playable with arrow keys.
The only game I've played in this type is Need For Speed: Most Wanted (2005) but I was wondering if any more recent/better games in the same line have appeared.
I know lots of NFS games have appeared, but they seem to have gone more multiplayer oriented, that is why I'm asking.

How Casual? Because Sonic Racing Transformed is surprisingly a really good kart racer with a great single player campaign but it might not be what you're looking for.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

numerrik posted:

I'm looking for a new GBA game to play, I have a few I have played to death already, such as Tetris, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars 1&2, Golden Sun 1&2, and Phantasy Star Collection. I just just picked up The World Ends with You, and as such feel like giving my DS Lite a spin again. I was considering picking up Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, but am open to suggestions. While I am familiar with Metroid and Castlevania, I don't feel like playing them at the moment, and as for the games ported from the SNES, I have them all, and don't desire another copy.

Thanks thread.

The Metroidvania type games are my favorite GBA games :v:

But yeah the GBA Mario and Luigi is better than the DS one imo, Zelda: Minish Cap was good but not super groundbreaking or anything. Besides that my GBA was really stuff you've mentioned, the AW games, Metroidvanias, and SNES ports.

Kirby? Nightmare in Dreamland could be considered a port of the NES game but it's a complete remake and looked amazing for a GBA game. I like it. The other Kirby game (Amazing Mirror) was a Kirby metroidvania so of course I recommend it.

If you're a fan of Megaman games you should check out the Megaman Zero series. Really drat hard though, especially in the early games to get the good rankings and such.

Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, if you want to remember a time when the Kingdom Hearts story almost made sense, but they still decided to release the game explaining the story in between 2 PS2 games on the GBA

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Pierson posted:

The Anno series is a great city-builder that has plenty of depth but isn't anywhere near as stressful/tough/whatever as Tropico/SimCity/whatever. 2070 in particular is chill as hell.

Actually my wife thought 2070 was too stressful and went back to Dawn of Discovery. She didn't like that the game had angry future sounding music and everything was bleak :v:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

There's unfortunately not much good like Souls games other than Souls games.

There's Lords of the Fallen which wants to be Souls and feels similar, but generally just isn't as good. If you can get it on big discount then that'll scratch the itch.

Dragon's Dogma is kinda like skyrim mixed with monster hunter and dark souls. The combat isn't quite as good, but its way better than most. Bonus points because you can climb up on griffons and dragons like shadow of the colossus or some poo poo. Its more of an open world quest affair than a really tight specific level thing like souls, though. But it has the fantasy and combat down.

Monster Hunter is pretty fun stuff, its very specific and limited but its really fun if you like what it does. It has very deliberate, resource based combat like dark souls, but its super... clunky? There's some similar games to MH like Toukiden: The Age of Demons.

There's also the precursors to the souls games, King's Field, although its first person so the combat is more like skyrim aka totally poo poo. So that may not work for you. Still, its got the souls level design and survival going on, and some very similar themes. Shadow Tower Abyss is the same thing but its a clunky FPS which works slightly better?

No joke the closest thing I can think of to Dark Souls is the old Castlevania games on NES and SNES, pre-metroidvania. Maybe try those, or Shovel Knight?

Stronghold! Probably Stronghold Crusader HD these days. There's also a newer 3d Stronghold but I think the reception was kinda mixed? Classic Stronhold rules though.

Castlevania is totally a good comparison to souls games I feel. They're the proper way to make a 3d castlevania

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Spaced God posted:

I've been loving in love with Life is Strange and want more games like it. I know Telltale does a lot of stuff, but I have never followed/cared about The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones or Borderlands. I liked Wolf Among Us, but something about LIS really loving got me. Any suggestions for story-driven Telltale-like games?

As someone who doesn't care about Walking Dead at all and usually hates Zombie stuff, Walking Dead Season 1 was one of my favorite games. It's probably the best thing Telltale has done or will do.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Serrath posted:

I really enjoy turn based strategy games; Final Fantasy Tactics, X-Com, Advance Wars, games like that.

"Skulls of the Samurai" came out as a free game on Playstation Plus, just finished it and really enjoyed it but I'd never heard of it before so I'm wondering what other games might be out there that I haven't heard of that are of the same type of gameplay.

I own a playstation 3, 4, nintendo WiiU (which I don't think I've turned on more than once), an iphone and an ipad

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Fire Emblem? The Wii U has the GBA ones which I haven't played but are supposed to be good. I loved the 3DS one but it is a bit more modern. Same team that works on Advance Wars, but with RPG type units instead of disposable tanks.

Tactics Ogre for PSP is amazing, but without a PSP or Vita you'll have to emulate it. Again lots of crossover with the FF Tactics dev team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Serrath posted:

I've heard of these two; I don't really use a PC so I can't emulate. I've been reading about Fire Emblem, though; I think what kept me away from it a few years ago was the fact that it follows a storyline and you can feel a bit lost if you jump into the middle of it, am I mis-remembering or should I be looking into starting the series from the beginning?

Thanks for the suggestions :) Anything more obscure that I might not have heard of? I wouldnt have even known skulls of the samurai existed if it didnt come as a free game and I was wondering what other games like it are out that I've just never heard of because they weren't widely released

What keeps away most people from Fire Emblem is the perma death. If you lose a character in battle they're actually dead, so you either reset or just continue on one character down. Wii U lets you use savestates if you choose to so it shouldn't be a huge problem.

You can emulate PSP on iOS actually, but I have no idea how reliable it is. There used to be ways to do it without jailbreaking but they constantly patch them out.

Stuff more obscure... Maybe Banner Saga? It's on iOS, has an awesome art style, a kind of storybook look to everything. It's a kickstarter game with a like $200k budget. It'll be coming to PS4 eventually.

iOS also has Ravenmark which people seemed to like but personally I thought it just wasn't interesting enough.

On PS3 Valkyria Chronicles is an attempt to bring the grid based stuff to 3D free movement and was really unique, worth a look.