Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Party Boat posted:

If you don't like a plot about someone who can only be happy when suffering from severe brain damage I don't know what to tell you.

The execution is super goofy but that's Twin Peaks all over.

Personally, the redeeming moment for me was when Nadine kicks Hank's sorry rear end. It's so cathartic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Deakul posted:

I'd have been fine with it if it didn't imbue her with friggin super powers... nevermind that I've always hated the character as a whole, she's just annoying.

Actually, that's been a thing from the start :eng101: :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRcYWYtn8mc

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Shoehead posted:

Now that I've slept on it I realise that the show left a lot of stuff unresolved, and strangely resolved some of the stuff I didn't care about, like Josie's marital situation. Like I know it's really soapy but I wanna know if Big Ed got to divorce Nadine or not, if Mike ever got have the crazy bodybuilder sex he so enjoyed again, if James was chopped up by a drug cartel in Mexico, the loving bank explosion, the left hand thingy, Ben's broken skull, the creamed corn lady, Philip Gerard just disappearing after Leland dies, Catherine's strange ability to make the Mr. Tojumura disguise work, oh oh and if loving Leo ever managed to get away from those tarantulas! I really wanted to see Pete gently caress over Catherine some how too, poor Pete.

Personally, I just want to know if Heidi finally got her car fixed.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

The extra parts of FWWM are separate from the film and can be played in sequence (as a film in itself). The parts are in chronological order. DL hates re-editing films to incorporate new material and he doesn't permit official releases of extended cuts. Yes, there is a fan edit which is out there, :filez: and I don't know where to access it. DL didn't even allow chapter access on the menu of Mulholland Drive DVD, though that might have changed.

The Mulholland Drive blu-ray I own definitely has a chapter select. I think his stance on sticking to whatever version was officially released is very commendable, though. It's certainly better than turning a decent film into a bloated mess out of some delusional sense of ownership.

By the way, whoever recommended Lars von Trier's Kingdom was spot on. That show is absolutely amazing. My favourite part is probably that von Trier shows up during the credits and tells you what he thought of the episode. It somehow makes the show even more surreal.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Baloogan posted:

Neat artwork

Gotta love that statue-boner.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I realised Bobby was one of my favourite characters when I saw this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUm6YvNm5dg

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Frostwerks posted:

Mother fucker, do you even read the True Detective thread.

You can say many things about the second season of True Detective, but it's certainly not boring.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Solice Kirsk posted:

Episodes 6, 7, and potentially 8 could wind up being good. Still the first 5 were terrible. Even the giant shoot out was boring.

Maybe I'm just weird then. I had tears in my eyes when Colin Farrell put on his brass knuckles in the first episode. Other than that, his dream vision, and the constant singing and dancing is actually really reminiscent of Twin Peaks (in a good way). Taylor Kitsch as James Hurley is also pretty funny (in a bad way). I love when Kitsch and Vaughn try to act.

Yeah, 6 and 7 have been objectively good, though.

And More fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 6, 2015

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

The idea kind of reminds me of Lars von Trier's Kingdom. That show was initially shown as two crazy 4-5 hour films, and later cut and re-edited into eleven episodes. I think it's amazing, personally. If Lynch knows what he's doing, it will be one hell of a Twin Peaks film. If he doesn't, well, it's still going to be one hell of a Twin Peaks film. :v:

There really isn't any downside to this unless you're somehow worried about viewers getting bored and confused. Seems like a great opportunity for Lynch to tell a story without being bogged down by the episodic format.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

A few people have said that they think that's David Lynch, but I think it's Ray Wise.

Yeah, I thought so, too.

Really glad they're committed to never fixing that typo, by the way.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

The population of Twin Peaks should be 5,120. The production team had to change the sign because producers thought audiences would hate the small town setting. In-universe, it's a typo.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

grilldos posted:

Are we going to need someone pasting The Facts Of This Series at the start of every page?

Just put it all in the OP, and mock people relentlessly if they fail to read it.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

the funnier thing with not-audrey is the way they tried to make her sweater look clingy and sexy by drawing lines on the blocky piece, but it just makes her look like some sort of weird pie person instead. like, dude, it's a fuckin' lego. it doesn't have to be a sex object.

That's what female Legos look like, though. :shrug:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Data Graham posted:

"Too small" in the sense that "nobody will want to watch a show about what goes on in a town that small", right? Feh.

And then the whole show itself is clearly designed to depict a 5000-person town and pretend the sign thing never happened.

It's basically foreshadowing of how the producers are going to gently caress up and subsequently kill off the show halfway through season two.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I have this horrible feeling that Ronnie Cox and Robert Forster won't make it out of 2017.

And I sincerely hope nothing happens to Stephen Tobolowsky :ohdear:

Are you trying to jinx it or what?

I can't handle all these charming people dying off one by one. :(

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Good old Funko Pop and their dedication to the demon-eyed look. :allears:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

SaviourX posted:

Who doesn't want an iconic corpse of a young girl on their shelf?!

Personally, I'm still waiting for the Maddie in a golf bag action figure.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

sector_corrector posted:

Good news everyone, Riverdale premiered on the CW to tide us over until May.

That show is like a de-parodied version of James' side story. Just all the soap scenes strung together with no weirdness in between. Also, it assumes for some reason that I know Archie, and I just don't.

Mädchen Amick is great, though.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Escobarbarian posted:

Mulholland Dr. makes a strong case for best movie ever made tbh

gently caress that. Nothing beats Blue Velvet, you gently caress.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I love Earle's horse scene and make no apologies.

Yeah, that is one of the highlights of the show for me, too. Windom Earle's demise is also one of my favourite parts of the final episode.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Why cookie Rocket posted:

My (abbreviated) take on it is that Cooper trying to solve Laura's murder is good and right and therefore he's not causing undue harm to himself or the town. After that, he's staying out of vanity and self-interest and that leads to unnecessary suffering for everyone. At the very least, Windom Earle isn't going to go totally bananas all over the town if Cooper isn't there.

Windom Earle's vendetta against Cooper is just a ruse, though. He actually wants to enter the Black Lodge, and that's apparently only possible for him in Twin Peaks. Coop's presence just gives them a fighting chance.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Luchadork posted:

I'm not sure now though what I want to see from S3, more of the show's humor or more of FWWM's menace.

It's definitely a weird line to toe. I can't imagine Twin Peaks going for a happy ending now, considering what happened to Cooper, and how much time has passed. Maybe that was never in the cards to begin with. I definitely want it to be more upbeat, though. That's what I liked about the show to begin with. 18 hours of FWWM would be absolutely unbearable.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I've probably just been ruined by anime, but these two look like bad guys from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure to me.

They're also amazing.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

This shows you everything you need to know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d714bEXFny4

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Huh, I always just assumed this season would start with the real Cooper returning from the Black Lodge.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I didn't know I needed to see Andy smile while holding a picnic basket and closing the trunk of a car until now. This is so good.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

That's a hot take? I don't usually start skipping stuff until James gets his awful side story.

Even then, there are still some scenes that I wouldn't want to miss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ziHeJfibGc

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

regulargonzalez posted:

What about super-Nadine and little Nicky? Cause those are some bullshit storylines.

Nadine has always been super:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRcYWYtn8mc

I also get an immense amount of satisfaction out of her encounter with Hank.

And More fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Data Graham posted:

I mean usually if you have multiple characters in a piece of fiction with the same name, it's part of a gag or a plot point; it's hardly ever just done without calling attention to it one way or another. It's one of those things that would make something too realistic to make sense as fiction.

They do draw attention to it if I remember correctly. It just turns out to be a false lead.

So the coincidence is intentionally a coincidence.

• Locked thread