Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I spent $120 on toy houses. God help me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

lilljonas posted:

Oh, and before I leave, a reminder: don't worry too much about getting everything "right". I just saw this excellent example of how even 20th Century centralized mass production will give you vastly different results when it comes to uniforms, so finding that perfect shade for a coat or tank or whatever is not something you should sweat over too much:

All of these are "field grey".

*joins German army to get one of those sweet Hugo Boss uniforms*

*is given turquoise uniform and sent to the Eastern Front during winter to die*

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Kaza42 posted:

With the release of Bolt Action 2e, a friend and I are planning to test it out. I've played one demo game about a year ago (1e) and he's never played before. As the guy who suggested it, I put together two lists to try this out with. Any suggestions? Germans vs USA 1000 points. I want to include a wide range of options and roles without getting too complex.

Germans: A small, elite and specialized force. Each unit has a specific role it fills, and hopefully does very well. The vets are panzergrens because that's the list I played in Flames of War.
Vet 2nd Lt 65
10 Vet Inf 130
Assault Rifles 50
10 Vet Inf 130
4 PzFaust 20
Regular MMG 50
Regular PzIV 235
Hanomag 84
Hanomag 84
10 Reg Inf 100
2 LMG 40

Total: 988

I would suggest more evenly distributing your weapons between squads. They made some changes to make this less of a problem but having a unit basically get pinned into uselessness is a thing that can happen. If something happens to your tank your faust team is your only other AT. If I was the US player I'd be hitting them from turn 1 to prevent them from moving around. I'd probably put two fausts in all three squads. Also consider switching out some Assault Rifles for SMG's if you're planning on getting into close combat, SMG's get bonuses in close combat, assault rifles don't. Any extra points should be spent on LMG's since German machine guns are awesome.

quote:

USA: A larger, regular force. Intended to include a bunch of support for a core of versatile units and vehicles.
Vet 1st Lt 90
2 Extras 26
Reg. Air Force 75
12 Reg Inf 120
BAR 5
12 Reg Inf 120
BAR 5
12 Reg Inf 120
AT Grenades 24
BAR 5
Reg. Bazooka 60
Reg. Stuart 135
+HMG 25
Reg. Howizter 50
Reg. Greyhound 110
+HMG 25

Total: 995

A PzIV vs a Stuart isn't a very fair tank match-up. Your heavy AT gun will pierce him on a 2+ while he'll need a 5+ to do any damage to you. Once that is gone he only has his Bazooka and a squad with AT nades, unless he gets very lucky with an airstrike. I'd consider switching out the Stuart for a Sherman or swapping the Howitzer for an AT gun. He already gets two airstrikes, an additional howitzer probably isn't necessary especially as you're playing a fairly mobile force.

Edit: also the howitzer can only fire over open-sights unless he springs for a spotter.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 29, 2016

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Kaza42 posted:

Thanks for the feedback.

Assault Rifles and SMGS are both 2 shot Assault weapons, which means they take no penalty from move+shoot and count as having Tough Fighters. I'm not seeing anything about SMGs being special, is there some rule I'm missing? Although since I'm planning to drive around in the Hanomag a lot I doubt the extra range is worth much on the Assault Rifles.

Assault Rifles got nerfed in 2nd Edition. They used to be assault weapons but they're not anymore. Basically now they're rifles with 2 shots. Whoops, got automatic rifles and assault rifles mixed up. Assault rifles got their range nerfed, but thats it.

quote:

I had hoped that multiple light AT weapons would be a good swap. The Greyhound and Stuart are both Light AT, and he's got a bazooka and AT nades. Would that not be a decent matchup against a medium tank and some armored cars? You make a good point about the airstrikes, would it be worth dropping the two extras on the LT to upgrade the howitzer to a medium AT gun?

I think without anything that can really threaten your Panzer IV at long range you're basically putting the US player in a position where he can't hurt part of your army which can be discouraging for a new player. If you can fit an AT gun in there that should make things more fair. Let's him ward off your tank from at least part of the battlefield + give his light tanks a chance to do something before getting obliterated.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 29, 2016

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Re: black tree

I had to ask for a refund after a month had passed without product or update on my order. But they were really nice and refunded my money but sent my product anyway which arrived today and threw in a free mini so I can't complain

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Crossposting from the terrain thread:

Step 1 of my Normandy table for Bolt Action completed: hedgerows!

Posted the method I used here: http://warsloth.blogspot.com/2016/10/balsawood-hedgerows.html

Cost me about $25 in materials and made 5 feet of hedgerows so I'm pretty happy with the results. Now to work on buildings and the mat to put it all on, but at least until then I can re-enact the ending of The Shining.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 25, 2016

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

Did you bake the sand or leave it sitting around for a while before using it? I've had bad luck with beach sand in the past that ended up smelling incredibly fishy.

I left it overnight to sit, but I grabbed it about 100 yards from the waterline so it didn't smell like anything to begin with.

Colonial Air Force posted:

The thumbnails made me think you were posting pictures of weed.

We play by the Nugz of Normandy ruleset. If a flamethrower or explosion hits a hedgerow you pack that bad boy in a bowl and smoke it.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

JcDent posted:

Don't I want max squads for mqx morale?

Also, the mortar is a must, but how about sniper and flame? How useful are they?

And yeah, rifle-smg squad split was imagined with the idea of using one for fire support and the other to close in.

Also, do I have to mount the MG and loader on the same base?

If my memory serves me correctly one of Italy's national rules is that they take a morale penalty for every order dice they lose and get a bonus for every order dice of their opponent they remove. If that's the case you want to make your squads as tough as possible

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Thundercloud posted:

OK. My club are doing a Bolt Action escalation league this year, which starts with a 500 point infantry list.

I've not got a painted BA army, so that now needs to happen. I've got some Germans, British Paras, American Airborne, and Japanese.

I fancy painting up the Japanese.

I was thinking of going with the following list:

2nd lt regular (50)

3 x IJA infantry squad (10 men) - 3 x 100

MMG - 50

Sniper team - 50

Flame Thrower Team - 50

500 dead on. 7 Command dice.

Do any of you guys play Japanese? How do you play them? Does it feature large numbers of inexperienced fanatic infantry?

Like you, I have Japanese but haven't played them yet. Unless you're using late-war militia or something all Japanese infantry should be Regular or Vet with the fanatic rule. They also get the Banzai Charge special rule which allows them to automatically pass any attempt to run or charge towards the enemy. My assumption is rolling with 15-man squads with fanatic and banzai you're supposed to get into close combat as fast as possible and obliterate enemy units that way, but like I said I haven't tried it yet.

I'm also curious if the three light mortars you can stuff into the Grenadier squad is effective, especially now that BA uses templates.

Edit: Their other special rule allows them to start lots of units hidden/in ambush mode. So if the game allows that you could alternately build a list around making the enemy come to you and shooting them to poo poo when they're out of cover.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 21, 2016

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Thundercloud posted:

I only have the main BA2 book and list. Do you need both the Japanese army book and the Fall of Empire supplement?

I am under the impression it will be a lot of just straight games.

I also get the impression the Japanese meta is zerg rushing across the table and Banzai charging.

I've always found mortars very hit and miss, and watched them do nothing all game multiple times. However with templates there is the possibility they will score more hits (though this is actually a bad thing for big Japanese squads) and they score multiple pins.

For a 500 pt game you're probably fine with just the army list out of the rulebook, although I just checked and the ambush rule is only part of the actual army book.

You can also use this site to put together army lists: http://boltaction.easyarmy.com/

My theoretical 500 pt list would be something like this:

2nd Lt (Reg) = 50
SNLF x12 w/2 SMG (Vet) = 162
SNLF x12 w/2 SMG (Vet) = 162
Medic (Reg) = 23
MMG (Reg) = 50
Sniper (Reg) = 50
Total = 497

Medic helps negate casualties getting into hand-to-hand and the vet squads should be able to plow through any squad they come into contact with.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

lilljonas posted:

Not really, it's mostly WW2, Napoleonics and 30YW, so either too early or too late.

I picked up a Fallschirmjäger platoon as well, because it was so cheap and they'll be suitable for Sicily and Italy. You basically get a whole platoon, plus some extras so switch around weapon options with, for £18 with free worldwide shipping. So yeah, a very cheap starting point for BA or CoC.

Every year I fail to resist the sprue sale and end up with more plastic mans even though the last thing I need is more minis to paint.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

The BA rulebook has basic lists for all armies. The army books have expanded special rules, additional units, and 'theater selectors' which are basically rules for building a list to reenact certain battles/campaigns which I always use because I like to sperg about the kinda stuff. The different front books are mainly scenarios for different parts of the war which are cool but you probably only need those if you're running a campaign or something

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Protip on bolt action books: the PDFs go on sale on Amazon pretty frequently for like 10 bucks.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Not sure if the warlord sprue sale is still on but as of a week ago you could get individual sprues for a couple bucks each, including British Zulu war minis which would probably work for what you need.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Phi230 posted:

And gameplay wise how do soviets play out in BA/CoC? Are they Enemy at the Gates kinda thing?

For ba at least early war Soviets are less charging and dying end masse so much as getting permenately pinned after taking a few shots, while your opponent captures all the objectives. Once you get to the Stalingrad lists they get a bunch of cool toys and more experienced troops so they become fairly versatile though

Edit: the new 2nd edition rules that allow officers to help activate dudes probably helps, but wow inexperienced troops fuckin suckkkkk

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Does anyone have a recommendation for inexpensive kits for ww2 trucks to use alongside 28mm minis? I want to field a motorized German platoon for don't feel like spending 60 bucks on trucks

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

muggins posted:

Rubicon trucks can be had pretty cheap from NWS ONLINE otherwise you're searching for matchbox trucks and I've never been lucky to find stuff like that.

I saw those, but was hoping someone had a secret cheaper option for trucks. Might just end up going with halftracks instead since its about the same price and they are cooler.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

So I'm trying to find a unit that I can build my random assortment of BA Fallschirmjagers, Afrika Korp, and other random German infantry around. The Duel in the Sun rules for the Hermann Goring division in North Africa and Italy are pretty nifty, any veteran unit can be upgraded to fanatic for 3 pts/model, allows extra AA units, ect. I also like that there was an elite fighting force named after the most incompetent man in the Nazi regime.

My concern is - on a scale from 1 to Heinrich Himmler, what would running a HG list rate in terms of wehraboo-ness?

Edit: Also, Ilor, can you show me how you managed this?

Ilor posted:

I think I've posted these before, but these are actually the same tank:

...and...

The first is a Pz III Ausf J and the second is a Pz III Ausf N with schürzen, hull armor reinforcement, and heavy turret mantlet. And I can do pretty much anything in between.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 13, 2017

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Warlord is bringing it:

New kit that makes either a KV1 or KV2 (hopefully with exchangeable turrets), plus damage markers, info cards, and 8 soviet infantry for $32.

https://us-store.warlordgames.com/products/kv1-2-plastic-box-set

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

The point costs on everything should be the same in v2 as in v1, although there are some discrepancies between the army books and the lists in the main rule book where certain options/unit sizes/ect don't line up - either due to errors or because the main rulebook combines certain unit types to save space. For instance, most veteran units just get combined into one generic entry in the rulebook while in the army book they are split up and might have different equipment options.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 13, 2017

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

EOE Orbis/Black Tree Design is having a 50% off sale on infantry, and they've now added their weapon teams as 50% off as well as a 24 hour flash sale.

Picked up an 88mm AA gun set for $16, hell yeah.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

That Sherman looks awesome.

Also the background of your lightbox reminds me of when I was a kid and my parents would drag me to the photographers to have pictures taken

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Geisladisk posted:

I can't find any resources about this online. I'm setting up a COC campaign, and I want the background to be at least a little accurate.

What organizational units did tanks and SPGs supporting infantry belong to? Were they members of armored divisions and "attached" to infantry units to support them? Would a Panzer IV supporting a Wehrmacht platoon from a infantry division belong to Panzer Division so-and-so and assigned to support the infantry division, or were they part of the infantry division? Did the Soviets do it any differently? What about SPGs like StuGs and SU-85s?

What battle is your campaign set in? it's usually pretty easy to see what divisions fought at any major battle and from there you can find out what component battalions were,ect and put together a "realistic" army list.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Geisladisk posted:

Thanks, that definitely helpful!

I was planning on setting it on the Eastern front in March 1945, with the German platoon tasked with holding a small town and bridge near Luban in preparation for the Luban counterattack. I was mostly wondering what units I should say each platoon is from.

I'm not super concerned with crazy levels of accuracy, and the battle and town will probably just be made up, or I'll pick a town and river near Luban at random.

From what I can tell the Germans called this Operation Gemse. Looks like the town itself was held by the 6th volksgrenadiers along with some volkssturm and an armored brigade so there's a good excuse to mix infantry and tanks there.

Counterattack was led by mostly Panzer divisions so panzergrenadiers including parts of the grossdeutschland division.

Plenty of different options there.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Geisladisk posted:

Can anyone recommend me 28mm German artillery? 88s, Leffys, I don't really care. I want to use some as objectives for COC.

You missed a good sale at Black Tree Designs on their WW2 equipment. I recently got an 88mm for 16 bucks.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Volkstrum Platoon

Platoon Leader - Han "Lefty" Schneider (Wounded 5 times in action, still has one good arm)

Squad 1 - 7 Middle aged men with refurbished WW1 rifles
Squad 2 - 6 Tweens armed with BB guns plus Old Man Jenkins with a musket
Squad 3 - Mostly stray dogs

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Dan Carlins Hardcore History is my go-to for when I'm doing anything where my eyes are busy but my ears aren't

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Geisladisk posted:

I'm not sure if letting kids gently caress around with molten lead at the age of 7 is the best or the worst parenting.

My parents got me a hotknife wood carving kit when I was 7 and even at that age I thought to myself "this seems too dangerous to let me have" sure enough I burned the poo poo out of my finger after accidently touching the hot blade.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Matildas, dude, Matildas

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

You get to activate every unit every turn in Bolt Action, it's just not traditional IGOUGO where one player does their entire turn while the other player waits.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I like semi-random activations because it means I'm constantly engaged with a changing situation and get to do something every few minutes instead of sitting there for half an hour watching my opponent shuffle his army around and then it's my turn and I'm too drunk to remember how the rules work

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

^^Drum Line 2: Kickin' it Old School^^

evenworse username posted:

I have been reading the thread for a while but it's mostly been oohin and aahing and cool minis than anything else. Can I ask if there's sort of a goon consensus on Bolt Action? My FLGS is about to start carrying it and (of course) I'm tempted.

Main questions are a) is it fun, b) do the rules as-written basically work or do you need to house rule/gentleman's agreement a bunch of poo poo and c) how expensive is the buy in?

Thanks for any thoughts.

I think Bolt Action is a lot of fun. I like gaming systems that allow me to play pickup games with people outside my gaming group, so I prefer Bolt Action over other WW2 systems because there doesn't need to be a bunch of houserules or fan-made army lists, ect.

Buying lots of tanks and support equipment can get expensive, but if you want to build a mostly infantry force it can be pretty cheap. I built two 750 point armies from this website for $100 - Japanese and US Marines, so infantry heavy lists:
http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.yahoo.net/wagase.html

There are almost always specials going on that allow you to buy more for less. Also, if you're patient you can comb through the BA stuff on Amazon, which is not organized at all and a complete clusterfuck. A lot of stuff seems to get labelled or priced incorrectly on there so I've been able to pick up some items at less than 50% of retail cost due to retailer mistakes.

You can also use this free site to build lists and then can figure out how much $$ it would cost you: http://boltaction.easyarmy.com/

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I quickly gave up on Black Powder in 28mm because the amount of mini's and space needed was far beyond what anyone in our group was interested in committing to. Sharp Practice 2 seems more up our alley, but I haven't gotten around to introducing it yet.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

"Southern Heel" posted:

Can you elaborate on this please? It would appear realistically one needs only to differentiate small, medium and large units and as such you could get away with four, eight and twelve 28mm figures each at minimum, in theory. Kings of War-style unit basing would give you something like eight, twelve and twenty four figures per unit for a greater headcount - and I'm not clear how much more work that is than a WHFB/KoW type army? Unless there's some kind of inherent fragility which means the units are disposable, and you need more of them for an equivalent game size/length?

Honestly I haven't played enough of either...

The issue we encountered is that black powder seems to have been designed around using larger formations with attention towards maneuver and it's abstraction of combat. The game just didn't work well with only 3-4 units in our experience, and no one in our group was willing to build and paint 80-100 minis in order to play it. In sharp practice on the other hand, one box of minis is enough to play, so that was an easier sell for us.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Phi230 posted:

How do tank riders work? Do you get separate models that fit on the tank

No, they're just 8 regular infantry. Not sure why they're included aside from just "hey, here's some extra stuff".

Anyway, that kv1/2 box is a good deal.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Phi230 posted:

Are there tank riders for minis tho?

Yeah, they're metal though and I don't really like em:

https://us-store.warlordgames.com/products/soviet-tank-riders

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Southern Heel posted:

- the guys that run Salute have a club nearby that I might try, but £120/mo membership is a bit steep!

Haha, what?

Is the club run by Ian McShane and everything costs a skull-embossed gold coin?

Fake edit: The Groginental

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

FYI, nwsonline is matching warlords vehicle sale but with a bigger selection and theirs is 3 vehicles for $50. Pretty tempting

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

What do the miniatures smell like and how many can you can fit in your mouth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

lilljonas posted:

I started working on basing the samurai army that has been sitting in boxes for years now. I'm using 60x40mm bases, aiming at using them for Field of Glory.

I managed some 17 bases before I ran out of the orange flowers that I'm planning to use to tie the army together aesthetically. So now I'm waiting to get a new shipment from the UK, but at least I'm pretty happy with how they look this far. I'll try to take some better pics later.

These look dope as hell, what scale?