Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat
Lurker for the past few months requesting discord invite if possible (pm ok). Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat
Perhaps others who are more knowledgeable about this topic can correct me here, but would another alternative be to short /MES, /ES, or /MNQ, /NQ, etc.? That way you don’t have theta decay from options, expense ratios and rebalancing of leveraged ETFs.

What are the disadvantages of this alternative?

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat
Seriously whoever first mentioned TUP... nice call.

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

Toalpaz posted:

I'm looking at buying long options again to make more money quicker, but it's really a totally different mindset and risk management style than day trading. You really can't buy a ton of contracts with one thing because if you're wrong you're really wrong and just SOL on the premium. Pretty spooky, but I guess that means just buy in moderation.

And don’t put all your eggs in one basket.

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

cr0y posted:

What greek and in what direction causes a call option to rise in value as a stock price sits still? I don't think I firmly understand volatility or....something.

Not a Greek, but IV would do that!

Edit: up

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

Woodchip posted:

selling a bunch of NPA Apr 16 $10 puts. How are SPAC puts a buck under strike still a quarter.

You realize the redemption period is over right? This means it has no protection against dropping below $10.

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

Tetramin posted:

Ah yep I forgot the question was regarding 30 year. I think you’re gonna have a hard time trying to track bond futures in your brokerage app

No problem with TOS mobile:

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

MAYO FETISH posted:

puts on DASH gently caress DASH

also anyone else buy calls on vxx/vix

Nope, sell calls on VXX/UVXY. Give it some time and watch it eat poo poo due to VIX futures contango.

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

DELETE CASCADE posted:

what the gently caress do any of these words mean

do you make money from knowing what these words mean? how much money?

Sir, this is the gambling thread. These are option trading terms, which are appropriate for this thread. Investopedia can help you out.

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

FasterThanLight posted:

The idea is that you take money from people making dumb gambles. But, once in awhile, you lose a lot of money when their dumb gamble pays off.

When you buy OR sell options, 99.9% of the time a dealer is taking the other side of that trade, not another retail trader. And the dealer is hedging so you are not taking money from anyone.

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

Hadlock posted:

Number go up? All my poo poo is magically up 5% in pre market

You should probably look into how futures work.

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

Why does a tweet from Nov 2020 matter?

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

doingitwrong posted:

Long term aggregate stock returns are +EV.
Short term individual positions are essentially random, highly skewed, and probably -EV because of transaction and execution costs.

https://twitter.com/michaellistman/status/1476620825788747781

Tell that to this guy averaging 100%/year returns with weekly naked uvxy calls.

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

vonManstein posted:

The relative silence in this thread is pretty telling - guessing everyone is doing like me and not even opening up their portfolio.

It’s just really hard to make any plays on the long side right now. We are in an environment where breakouts are almost always fake and fundamentals (still) don’t matter.

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat
Yeah why not eliminate any chance of making money? Sell covered calls!

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

Hadlock posted:

It's a Monday that starts with an even number

Edit: there's a lot of (probably not true) speculation that more established banks, in particular BoA are trying to bury SoFi as they're a valid competitor to legacy banks. Haven't read it yet but BoA's analyst rating of SoFi has been widely panned as self serving

Mostly I think fintech spacs are just being sorted with lots of momentum by market makers, but what the hell do I know I'm just the bag holder telling everyone not to take my advice since last June

Congrats! You have made it to the “blame the MMs” stage of bagholding. Numerous people tried to warn you about deSPAC trash like this.

1) it’s just a dip, buying opportunity
2) i keep buying and it keeps dropping??? That’s ok, I’m a long term investor 💪
3) what is the short interest on this stock?
4) hedgies/MMS/shorts are keeping the stock price down, they are gonna get loving squeezed, time to buy more!!
5) I’m not going to keep throwing money at this forever……..
6) 🤮

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

nelson posted:

Unless you have some information that everyone else doesn’t, options are pure gambling. It’s fun to gamble sometimes but don’t throw away lots of money doing it. You might say stocks are gambling too, but with stocks there is no time limit. You can lose tomorrow and win 5 years from now by buying and holding regular stocks (or index funds). But with options, once the timer expires, that’s it. If you lose, you lose.

Options are good for taking asymmetric risks at attractive spots when you believe vol is under/overpriced. Yes you should consider taking either side of an options trade depending on your view.

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

Frequent Handies posted:

Every time I read this thread I'm amazed folks buy shares of things. Why bother trading the derivative instead of the underlying?

Your second sentence seems to contradict the first. Are you asking why trade options or why trade shares?

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

Frequent Handies posted:

Shares. Trade the underlying, options.

This is the way

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

FistEnergy posted:

pmchem's original sofi post convinced me to sell for a profit instead of holding through massive losses a month later

listen to pmchem

Or I could keep double triple quadrupling down on this overvalued stock and maybe break even in 6-12 months! B T F D!!!!!!!

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat
If you have a cash account PDT does not apply to you anyway. If you are margin a good faith violation isn’t anything you have to worry about. First figure out what acct type you have.

And any round trip transaction is a daytrade. Selling then buying is just as much a round trip as buying then selling.

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat
People here still alive? Conspicuous lack of posting these last few months. Has everyone given up? Asking for a friend :angel:

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

Agronox posted:

Been in this thread close to 17 years now, I will never stop posting :corsair:

But it's been pretty quiet lately. The things I owned a few months ago are largely the same things I still own now. I have a bunch of earnings coming up tomorrow, and one I'm particularly curious about is SOHO coming up on August 11.

Nothing's screaming at me to buy or sell it right now. I could be missing something.

What've you been up to, pastrami?

Miss you in the discord agro!

Selling UVXY calls and VIX puts/straddles like I have been all year, rolling some of the premium into vti. Has been incredibly lucrative despite spx being down quite a bit this year.

Frontrunning TLT EOM window dressing flows. Been good so far in 2 months trying it.

Finally starting to do some earnings trades again (selling strangles or credit spreads mostly). Just started a few weeks ago, going well so far.

Have also dipped my toe into a managed futures ETF (DBMF) for something relatively not correlated with SPX. Slightly down on this.

VTI remains my core position. Down quite a bit YTD on this, as you might imagine.

I would love to say the market looks good and is resuming its uptrend but I am still cautious for now. Market seems to be falling over itself to price in dovish fed/pivot to rate cuts…. Which could be problematic.

Hopefully market is more cooperative to finish out the year.

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

orange sky posted:

Even if you're a cautious investor I'd love to hear what you're doing at the moment - we need a middle ground between the long term, everything on etfs thread and a superstonk experimental pharma only thread

Come to the discord for trade ideas, stay for the dump it gifs

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

cirus posted:

I looked through the report and the jobs numbers are not good. Full time employment was down 74k and the increased jobs were mostly part time and second jobs. People are getting squeezed by increased food and energy prices and having to take extra work to make ends meet. Expect demand collapse in non essential goods

No wonder they bought the dip!

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

GrandmaParty posted:

ASTS doing that thing again. It's going to be worth watching until launch in September.

Grandma, can you please call Abel and tell him to dump it below 10 for a min. I might know someone who is short some calls :angel::angel::angel:

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

Hadlock posted:

TQQQ puts for days

Yes because the 3x leverage isn’t priced into the option :magemage:

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

Hadlock posted:

For Sept 9:

TQQQ put: $140
QQQ put: $550

One of these things is outside of my comfort range for gambling

Might I suggest a spread?

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat
I’d personally prefer a red half dollar, jingles around less when I walk around

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat
Those monsters

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

Inner Light posted:

How active is the discord these days? I never ended up joining but could do with an invite if folks are hanging out there.

It is nothing like this thread. Huge variety of strategies and trading discussed there, from intraday trading options/futures, “theta gang” aka option selling, and swing trading.

Yes many (myself included) are way more degenerate than your average post here. If you want to talk about trading you don’t often see in this thread, the discord is probably where you want to be.

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

Frequent Handies posted:

Worth joining, it's fun as hell in there.

That said, Pastrami here is the channel equivalent of the long term investing thread if that helps anyone calibrate.

Yeah, investing long term in naked short uvxy calls and short 80 50% otm Burlington coat factory lottos 🤣

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat
Don’t use Robinhood, good god. Tastyworks/TDA seem like the best to me.

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat
I’ve used TDA for over 2 years now. I still hate Thinkorswim desktop. But the TOSmobile app (at least in iOS) is incredibly good, both on phone and tablet.

One thing I will mention is TDA has incredible portfolio margin. They have a few house rules that are generally non-intrusive on top of the basic FINRA rules.

I am definitely enjoying earning 4% annualized on 8 week tbills, which are basically like-cash in terms of collateral for selling options (99% margin). Nice to earn yield on cash that would otherwise be sitting there.

TLDR: TDA is amazing, desktop tos sucks, mobile tos is great.

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

DoubleT2172 posted:

Could you expound on this? I have cash in my TDA account for selling puts that I'd like to put to use like this

You can go and place a non competitive bid for tbills (4 and 8 week bills are auctioned weekly) on the tda website. Let’s say you buy $100,000 worth. Your buying power from the $100,000 cash was, well, $100,000. The buying power from the equivalent in tbills will be $99,000.

Did this answer your question? Feel free to msg me on discord if you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat
Agree with Agronox (thank you!). The way I think about is, when you sell options (to open, aka “write”) your broker is RESERVING buying power equal to a certain % of notional value of the underlying shares (minus premium received). You are not charged interest on this buying power that is reserved.

The way you get charged interest is when you use $ to buy something that costs more than your actual cash balance. Then you are actually getting a loan from your broker, and they will charge you interest.

Like Agronox said, if you are for example assigned on short puts, this is one way you can end up paying margin interest. I often will sell out of the underlying asap in that case. Or if you want to hold the underlying, time to sell some tbills on the secondary market. Tbill interest <<< td Ameritrade margin rate.