Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

frozenphil posted:

Ugly, too expensive, and only marginally better performing than the 2011 Mustang. I can think of a lot better things to spend $150k on.

Let's be honest, it's because it doesn't have an slushbox, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

frozenphil posted:

How does this argument stand up in the face of the Mustang dominating the BMW in Grand Am road racing?

I'm sure you can go pick up a Mustang (gotta be with the automatic though, right?) from the corner dealer and then go start whipping BMW's in Grand Am.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

frozenphil posted:

Part of the settlement is they pay for half of the job to get the new material pads swapped in. I'm going on my third set of rear brake pads inside 50k miles.

You can always refuse to take part of the class-action, of course that means filing your own suit.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

The guy in charge of things at Hyundai is a loving genius (emphasis mine):

Link

That's just loving brilliant, and it's the kind of thing that Hyundai needs to do if they want to shake up the luxury market today with the Equus the way Lexus did 20 years ago with the LS400.

I'm starting to root for Hyundai to be successful with this, it's huge shakeups that make the market better for everyone.

It's a good idea, but they need to put at least SOME money in to the dealerships to attract the bigger dollar clients. They do need to go to a dealer at least ONCE, right?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Sure, and I doubt they're going to be doing it at the exclusion of dealership improvements - they'd be foolish not to, but if you ask me this really does trump every service waiting area ever.

Not disputing that, certainly.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Garth Fader posted:

Click here for the full 1600x1067 image.

Click here for the full 800x567 image.

Yeah, they're identical twins alright.

Really, you couldn't find a picture of an ACTUAL Taurus?

Click here for the full 1134x791 image.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Garth Fader posted:

My bad, i don't really keep up with domestics at all, but still they barely have anything in similar. Maybe if you squint at the thumbnail, but even then it's a stretch.

Technically Rover was a "domestic" there for a while (owned by Ford), although now they're owned by Tata.

I'm just being an rear end in a top hat now though.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Naky posted:

RAD. Though I don't particularly trust LEDs just yet for my headlights. It's early tech even at this stage though so I'm sure it'll improve.

Really? LED's have an effective service life that is FAR longer than any other bulb on the market.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

2ndclasscitizen posted:

And launched it just as the global economy went south.

And they didn't sell them in North America from what I recall.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Lazareth posted:

http://jalopnik.com/5660934/scion-fr+s-is-the-new-toyota-ft+86 Soo much fail.

Basically the Toyota/Subaru project the FT-86 is looking like its gonna be a Scion, and the Subaru version may not be available stateside.

It makes sense really, given that Toyota is now all about boring appliances rather than enthusiast cars.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

rscott posted:

I see a whole bunch of them around Wichita, in fact one of my co-workers drives one (that's hellaflushed out with 18" rims)

There's a couple million of the drat things here in Seattle as well. That and loving Priuses.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Jork Juggler posted:

This car is not the finished product. It is much closer to production than the last mule photograhped, but it still has tacked-on front and rear fascias from the current model. You can tell that the curve of the front wheel arch is not continuous and there is a second seam between the rear fender and rear bumper. It's a test mule.

So, the body cladding might change slightly. The roofline won't.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

travisray2004 posted:

drat, for a Fast and Furious movie that scene was pretty good actually. Now I kind of want to see it in theaters.

I think it's actually the highest rated of them on Rotten Tomatoes. Of course, that might just be "this one is pretty good by the (terrible) standard of the series".

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

el topo posted:

If I'm ever in the market for a fashion accessory I'll keep it in mind...

How is this any different than the previous model?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

dissss posted:

Leaving Porsche aside I'd say the similarities between Volkswagen and Audi products are pretty widely known and in some cases actually overstated.

All you have to do is look at the motoring section of a newspaper, if they've reviewed say an A1 they'll be sure to mention you could just get a more powerful Polo for less money. Ditto with an A4, they'll say the Passat is bigger and cheaper and mechanically the same (even though there are some important differences between the two). It gets even more complicated in markets where Skodas are available.

Then you have VW splitting the American Jetta/Passat off from the international versions - presumably this is an effort to add further differentiation by making them bigger and cheaper

I think you're seriously overestimating the general knowledge of the American car buyer (not surprising, I suspect you're European since you mentioned Skoda and the Polo). Most Americans don't understand the relationship between Acura/Honda, Infiniti/Nissan, Lexus/Toyota for one, and the only reason they know the link between the GM brands and Ford/Lincoln is that GM insists on putting those stupid badges on all of their cars, and they both sell the different nameplates at the same dealerships.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

el topo posted:

True, but their vehicle range seems to encompass everything but the kitchen sink.

Coming up next week: MB announces a range of kitchen sinks.

http://www.bornrich.com/entry/mercedes-new-viano-marco-polo-camper-van/

Mercedes camper van. Guess what it has?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

oRenj9 posted:

My money is on them making a Mini fighter. They are going for a Yaris sized sporty car with a small displacement boosted engine.

I can understand why you would think that. The Subayotaru doesn't have a name yet and is rumored to have the turbo/AWD combo. But I doubt it is the new WRX. The Subayotaru will be able to stand on its own; it doesn't need the WRX nameplate at all.

They could be trying to create a "premium" brand image. By having a stand-alone WRX naming the Subayota the SVX, they will pretty much set themselves up for a future __X nameplates.

Introducing the new Subaru CRX!

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Ugh. No one needs a bloody van just because you have a couple of kids. If a hatchback really won't handle all the primary-coloured plastic detritus you've suddenly decided you absolutely must carry everywhere, buy a Skoda Yeti:

And that Porsche ad is right on the money.

AI: Own a minivan? Get back to Sports Argument Stadium, you loving SOCCER MOM.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Would now be the right time to start posting pictures/links of people running 12's in their turbo minivans?

Or I guess those don't count towards the SUPERIOR DRIVING EXPERIENCE.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

"The only U.S.-market compact car with a diesel now is the Volkswagen Jetta."

I think Audi, Mercedes, and BMW would like to have a conversation with this guy about his "research".

Hell, he's even wrong about Volkswagen, I'd say the Golf is a more "compact" car than the Jetta.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Skyssx posted:

Just like the new Jetta TDI, but (probably) less reliable and less likely to spontaneously combust?

Isn't spontaneous combustion sort of how a diesel works?

:colbert:

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

MrSaturn posted:

(Full disclosure: I work for Big Bill, but) Seconding this. Sync is amazing compared to a lot of the generic bluetooth integration in a lot of cars. I haven't used it with an Android phone, but if you've got an iPhone/Windows Phone, it really is a great experience.

On top of that, when did we become so entitled that every car above $20k has to have a sunroof?

It's "Big Ballmer" now. :colbert:

There's a lot of talk about Sync not being so great with WP7, (no USB, bluetooth doesn't work with voice commands).

Fake Edit: Looks like most if not all of the Sync issues might be fixed with Mango.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you should really be rollin 8 and 4 all the cool kihds are

12 and 6 is the best, you all know it.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

coolskillrex remix posted:

Why is autofieldguide so impressed that they supercharged a 3.8l v6 with 306 hp and got 150 more horses. Is that really that amazing... really. Might be nice if they did that on a completely stock engine then offered it as a cheap kit, but they upgraded the fuel pump and fuel injectors. Seems ho-hum to me.

A mustang GT is about 100 pounds heavier than a stock genesis v6 coupe and is a far far better starting point. Plus theres about 10 superchargers and turbo chargers out there for someone to buy at this very moment.

150 HP with a supercharger pushing a very low amount of boost and a simple modification to increase fuel delivery is pretty impressive. They also noted that increases in boost (and therefore higher horsepower) is going to be simple.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Cakefool posted:

I need this for my volvo.

Now I have the idea to sneak over to 14"'s place sometime and stick a bunch of horrible wood accents on his car.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Stealth Like posted:

The ones in the newer BMWs have basically everything in them now with full color:

This should make it even easier for people to drive their cars on to railroad tracks and off bridges.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Honda put out this ad which pays homage to Ferris Bueller's Day Off by giving Matthew Broderick a CR-V.

There's probably a metaphor for Honda's own middle age in here, in that they mostly just say "remember the 80s?" now while wistfully looking off into the distance and burping out inoffensive soft-edged garbage like this.

I have to give kudos to them allowing the car to bottom out and spark on the road, though.

"Remember that 80's movie where you called our car a piece of poo poo?"

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

After looking at a few more pictures, it looks a lot better, like a Panda. That yellow low-angle shot is definitely not its most flattering angle, and the fixation automakers still have with chrome is perplexing.

Also, does it have four foglights or are those centre ones supposed to be high-beams?

Fogs, turn signals, headlights.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Fucknag posted:

RE: FWD turbo V6 cars, is everyone forgetting about the Ecoboost? 3 of 4 vehicles with it are transverse FWD platforms.

Or the 3000GT?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

It's a newer platform and at the very least has good crash ratings. What specific beefs to you have with it?

No combat lasers.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Automotive Insanity: Read about a new cupholder you like? sperg about it here, in the cupholder-thread!

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

grover posted:

The combination of unreasonably slow speed limits and drivers that, inexplicably and en masse, strictly obey them, is absolutely infuriating. Why does everyone in Seattle drive like it's raining even when it's not?

Tweeting/texting with one hand, coffee in the other.

gently caress, I've seen people loving reading newspapers on the road here.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

Well there goes any hopes of the Evo coming back. Sigh.

There didn't seem to be much chance of that anyway.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

When I say 'true SUV' (never said traditional) I'm saying it's a sport utility vehicle. Not a '88 Bronco 4x4. Not a Sport Utility Vehicle. It has some off-road capability (maybe more than the new Explorer and Pathfinder, certainly more than the Flex or the Odyssey) and a no-frills interior. I think it's a vehicle that isn't designed to shuttle kids around, though we bought it in part because once we acquire those it will be able to work for that, too.

It will take 4 people camping or backpacking for a long weekend no problem, hold two dirtbikes or a four-wheeler plus all your gear, if you go hunting you can throw the deer in the bed and haul it to whereever you're taking it (I know a guy with a processing facility) without worrying about the mess and, unlike every actual truck we tested it is designed to carry people, too.

But if you want to get caught up in semantics then forget that I called it that! It's just a really useful and versatile vehicle for folks who enjoy the outdoor sports!

The term "Sport Utility Vehicle" existed before there was a vehicle that you could realistically put four-wheelers or whateverthefuck "in the back"

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Cream_Filling posted:

Dunno, sounds like a good opportunity for a truck and ute event. Motorcycle in the bed, boat trailer at the back.

Maybe mount an ultralight on the boat so you fly that sucker right off of the water.

Why not make it so the ute IS the boat?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

IDK then you lose dudes scrambling to get their boats in the water. Its like how pit stops are half the fun of racing. You've also got a blooper DVD of terrible mistakes that is guaranteed to sell.

Yeah, but instead you get the added fun of dudes scrambling to try to keep their "boats" from sinking.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Could we shut the gently caress up about this automated driving/safety features spergfest and get back to new cars?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

blk posted:

Jalop is saying that this is the new IS (with an F sport package). A lot of comments are hating on the styling, but I think it's a big improvement over the current one. The interior looks nice, too.

I heard they're carrying over the old powertrains, though, and that the car is getting heavier - if that's true I'm not sure how that's going to work out.

Well, that means it'll be slower, so we'll see more of them getting destroyed by pussy shrapnel they'll be unable to avoid.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

PT6A posted:

Really? I was curious what the difference was in Canada, and the difference between a base-model Hyundai Accent hatch and the least-equipped automatic model is $3200 going by MSRP, with the base model coming in at $13,700. That's more than a 20% increase. I get that there are disadvantages to having manual transmissions in a rental fleet, but I still think that's a pretty significant difference. If I want to rent a nice car, I'll pay for it. If I just need to get from point A to point B, I'm going to decide based on cost.

I had no idea it was so rare. Travelling abroad (albeit usually to the Caribbean or Mexico, but Europe is far from uncommon, and even a fair number of people go to Asia) is reasonably common in Canada, even for people with fairly lovely, low-paying jobs.

Federal minimum wage in the US is 7.25 an hour. Let that sink in for a second.

Here's the infamous "McDonald's budget" that's been floating around:

Note "Income (2nd job)". It's ASSUMED that you have a second job if you're working minimum wage in the US, minimum wage is not a living wage.
Okay, note the "monthly spending money", $800.
You see what's missing from "monthly expenses"? Things like food. Gas for the car that was budgeted for. Toiletries and household items. And good luck getting health insurance for $20/mo.
How on earth is someone going to finance a trip anywhere when you're quite literally living paycheck to paycheck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

Yes because 100% of the working population in the US is doing nothing but working minimum wage jobs at McDonalds. This is AI, pretty much everyone posting here has somehow found enough disposable income to sink way more money than even a Euro vacation would cost on a car/cars/other toys of questionable merit. This is a dumb derail.

Don't be willfully dense. Wage stagnation has been a serious problem in the US, even outside of the fact that the minimum wage is totally unlivable. Someone asked a question about tourism, and the fact that US wages have been in a death spiral for the past several decades is a serious answer.