Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Franco Caution posted:

Pretty wild to spend a large part of the day running through all the GR86 reviews and hearing about it's 23 extra HP, and then end the day with Nissan dropping the 400HP number.

Kinda dig that blue interior and exterior combo.
Alright, what did you gently caress up Nissan? It has to be there somewhere.

228 hp is what the first gen 86 twins should have had and then the 2nd gen should be moving up from there. I don't know why automakers insist on making sub 3000 lb rwd cars slow. Especially in this day and age when all the pieces are there to solve this issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

FBS posted:

Toyota and Subaru have decided that trying to sell more (expensive) versions of their thing to more people (who would now be directly cross-shopping a Mustang or Camaro or Z instead of poo poo like the Civic Si and GTI) would, in fact, be dumb.

Imagine we lived in a world with the 86 twins and no WRX and someone tried to pitch the idea of the WRX.

:v:: Ok lets take the 86, add a turbo, awd, AND two doors.
:colbert:: You'll have to add $10,000 to msrp of the 86 twins.
:v:: gently caress that we're going to price it $2,500 cheaper
:catstare:

Hopefully the price of 1st gen 86's start to go down though. So many of the used ones are still north of $20k right now.

Sab669 posted:

The Germans did boxy extremely well. The Japanese did not.

The defense submits exhibit 2nd gen Toyota Supra to the court.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Whoever compared the new Ford GT's rear to Skippy from StarFox was dead on and it ruined the rear of the Ford GT for me.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

BloodBag posted:

Same. The BRZ felt slower than an NC1 miata. The S550 5.0L is incredible and I'm so glad I got one.

I agree with Doug on this topic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJUltR6UYSo&t=1097s

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

KakerMix posted:

It was way ahead of it's time and breaking bad only had the Aztek because of the reaction and legacy it had. That legacy also secured that it was never going to be forgotten and was always destined for the "haha what poo poo.....hey remember the Aztek lol.... It's kinda cool when you think about it.....the Aztek is legit cool as hell" remembrance curve. Hate, ironic like to unironic like. We're at the end of that curve and now people openly talk about how they legit like the thing.

Basically Honda copied GM's homework but corrected the errors and we got the Element.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't, really. First, the Miata was faster due to lower weight and I think gearing, and it also didn't have the stupid torque dip, so it makes sense that people didn't complain about it as much.

While of course I want as much powa as possible, forced induction adds a lot of complexity and weight, as does a bigger engine. But you also then have to beef up everything else too, like driveshafts and diffs and clutches and gearboxes (oops) so poo poo doesn't break. Which costs money and weight. Of course if you're modding it you can just boost and send it and then rebuild the drivetrain 10k later but that's not acceptable in a stock car.

Yeah it was pretty interesting to see what Mazda beefed up in the MazdaSpeed NB. I believe the Diff and rear axles are specific to Mazdaspeed. It got a stronger 6 speed transmission although that was shared with some LS models of Miata as well. I don't think the brakes are different. It got special darkened headlights of all things. And Mazda pulled it off for $827 increase over the NB. Theory crafting for the 86 twins I bet better brakes and rear diff and axles could be pulled from the WRX line. Too bad about the driveshaft as its almost guaranteed to be a different length.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Probably doesn't fit the spirit of the thread but it Randy Pobst talking about a track day car that is 1800 lbs and uses a Ford 2.3 Ecoboost drivetrain from a Mustang for motivation. To say the drivetrain is understressed is putting it mildly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG_v_YNU3yI
https://www.fieldsautoworks.com/

ilkhan posted:

I mean, it was fun between 7-7.5k rpm or so above the torque hole, but the coyote did better regardless of where you floor it at.

Funny thing is the frame rails in the front of the BRZ are so wide to accommodate the FA20 that a Coyote fits in the engine bay.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 24, 2021

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

I bought a 2016 BRZ last week and I think everything about is good but the motor does not fit the car, and mine has all of the good stuff done to it that eliminates the torque dip and adds more power.

The problem with the motor is that it does not feel inclined to rev or light on its feet the way a smaller inline 4 should feel. Put a K20 or K24 into it and it'd be a better car.

Word? I've been looking at BRZ's pretty steadily for several years now. The pandemic sent prices through the roof though. Do you mind to say how many miles and how much you manage to snag it for? I like the 2016 -2013's as they don't have the screen in the dash. That screen seems so tacked on.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Sab669 posted:

Get a $5k miata to tide you over :v:

Literally have that car in my saved list on autotrader.

ilkhan posted:

I wonder how many LSx twins there are out there. Probably messes with the balance, but...

Vorshlag has a pretty in-depth LSX BRZ development thread including weighing the car before and after.
https://www.vorshlag.com/forums/for...elopment-thread
https://www.vorshlag.com/forums/forum/vorshlag-v8-swap-talk/engine-swap-discussions/7104-vorshlag-scion-fr-s-lsx-alpha-project
Stock they weighed it 2775 total with 1550 front 1225 rear. That should be 55.8 front 44.2 rear for weight balance with FA20. After the LSX was put in weight went up to 2816 lbs with 1591 on the front and 1225 rear. So the ratio changed to 56.5 front / 43.5 rear. Time for a heavier rear diff, carbon hood, and trunk battery.

Lookit all dat space.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 25, 2021

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Symetrique posted:

Deliveries for the '22 BRZ started this week in Japan.

One tuner already put one on a dyno:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVBOOvYds7E

The scale on the torque graph make the torque dip look massive.

i own every Bionicle posted:

In any case, the new 86 twins look great and seem to have improved everything about the old ones while ruining nothing.

It seemed from the press videos there was a model of the Toyota GR86 without the Subaru Eyesight system. My question is there a BRZ trim that doesn't have it either?

Coredump fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 1, 2021

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I’m hoping with that torque peak early in the rev range there would be some flexibility left that with tuning you could smooth out the curve.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Still blows my mind Subaru prices the WRX cheaper than the BRZ.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Okay yeah that torque curve is messy but not like hugely noticable dips fro a drivers perspective.

Yeah here's the dyno from the stock car vid if anyone's curious:

1 kgm = 7.233 lb-ft, so it loses about 18 ftlbs from 3500 rom to 4300. It looks like it loses 32.5 lbft from the torque peak of 26.5 kgm @ 3300 rpm to 22 kgm at 4300 rpm. TUNE TIME.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

BloodBag posted:

I remember saying this about the NC Miata. Mazda had the DISI engine from the Mazdaspeed 3, all they had to do was put it in the NC. :negative:

Project Ugly Horse even showed the engine would bolt to the NC MIata transmission too. All the pieces are there.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

and now the agony of picking the perfect aftermarket wheels for the brz

Grams CR57

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

and now the agony of picking the perfect aftermarket wheels for the brz

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Does this mean that 1st gen 86's are bottomed out on price as they're gonna be? My line of thinking is that the chip shortages won't allow new BRZ/GR86's to come out in the numbers to push down the price on the used ones.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The yoke is bad.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

opengl128 posted:

Catching up, but holy lol there is not enough :chloe: in the world for this.

It looks like an aftermarket solution to when you want to swap your stereo but the HVAC controls were built in so they give you a tacked on looking extra display to control them.

Holy gently caress you nailed it. Dash by Metra.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Have you tried approaching the ramps onto the lots from an angle?

And also, the $36,000 question: Can I get all this with a Miata too

For $36,000 I like to look at C6 Corvettes too. Just 400lbs more weight, not horrible I guess. Plus the power to weight ratio improves.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Time for rallycross tires and a slight lift sounds like.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

McTinkerson posted:

The Tesla LDU will be the new Chevy 350 v8 of engine (now motor) swaps.

Edit: Case in point https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a28215254/teslonda-tesla-powered-honda-drive-interview/

Tesla would be really cool if they would just sell the motors, controllers, and some batteries. But this is Tesla and they won't even sell you parts to fix your car unless Daddy Elon approves. Meanwhile Chevy there for a minute was selling an electric crate motor that would bolt up to a Turbo 400 trans. https://insideevs.com/news/340975/chevy-camaro-ecopo-and-electric-crate-motor-detailed-in-interview/

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Sab669 posted:

That plastic cladding poo poo has never and will never look good. Especially so on something billed a sports/performance vehicle.

It's ugly on the OG Honda Element, it's ugly on the Taycan CrossTourismo, and it's ugly on everything in between.

I LIKE it on the Honda Element. But then again I like ugly cars, hello NC Miata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

FBS posted:

They want to sell these to millennials and gen z but none of us have kids and anyone with kids is convinced they need a three-row SUV anyway so two doors should be plenty!

I guess the only catch is a two-door wouldn't work as an Uber...

We have dogs instead OP. All we can afford.