Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's not a Tu...

It's actually a dH-Comet instead. With some kind of bizzare radar-testing attachement, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sexual Lorax posted:

It's not a Tu...

...polev?

Also works with Tu...maaah! but I hope I'm not explaining the obvious here.

Somewhere there's a great video of that test where everybody's like :ohdear: as they gradually increase the load.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 20, 2010

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What if you mounted 8 of them in 4 pods, hmm?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Can one strap a bunch of JATO rockets to a 747?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Not the only one, and it was some interesting "flight testing"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Anybody read Viper Pilot? I bought it last night because it was on sale for 3 bucks and had pretty good reviews. The first chapter seems decent enough, though all the initial training stuff is mainly interesting to see the contrast to Navy flight training.

Yeah, I liked it, was a fun read and provided some interesting background on training and flight operations. A bit jingoistic at some points but within understandable level.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Foxey Lady

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So what's the typical SOP for dealing with lost comms? Are there attempts to locate the plane on radar, scramble fighters to check it out, or what?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

simble posted:

:spergin: That's a baby Boeing.

Is that a 737? I knew those bastards were huge, but, whoa.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Barnsy posted:

It was actually performing very well. I believe the looks definitely had something to do with its lack of success (which is hilarious given that most people think the A10 or Harrier are ugly, but they do their jobs quite well).

C'mon, how can someone not like the X-32?

It totally should've won; it could still stuck but at least that would be achieved in a more interesting way :colbert:.

I haven't really spend much time :spergin: about the JSF program but I'd imagine shoehorning VTOL capabilities into a general purpose airframe would easily account for most of the challenges. And also not to defend it too much, but there's probably never been an airplane that was launched completely smoothly and trouble free.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
I thought that title belonged to the Cayenne?

Is there a website that lets one search planes registered to a particular owner? I wanted to check out what a few corporations own as business jets, but it seemed like the FAA and other sites I came across don't let you search by owner, which I assume has to be actually visible somewhere.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well I did manage to find two of our helicopters, but no planes, which are probably registered through a holding company as you guys suggest. Thanks!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
"Pilot's arm came off while landing" is probably not something you want to hear about your flight:

quote:

A pilot lost control of a passenger plane after his artificial arm became detached as he was coming in to land, an accident report has said.

The Flybe flight from Birmingham, with 47 passengers on board, was approaching Belfast City Airport in gusty conditions on 12 February.

It landed heavily but no-one was hurt and the plane was not damaged.

The pilot said he would be more cautious in future about checking his attachment, according to the report.

In a statement, Flybe said the senior captain was one of its "most experienced and trusted pilots", and the safety of passengers and crew had not been compromised in any way.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-28778728

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So... I just realized that I don't really need a flying car, as cool as that'd be. Just a plane big enough to drive a car into. So, what's the smallest transport that can take a Miata? I assume they aren't quite as affordable as ancient 172s but might be something to keep in mind for when my drug business takes off I win a lottery.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Oh thanks, both of those are cute little cargo planes :3:

The prices I see for them are over a million, but still cheaper than a flying car, at least.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Any Southeast Michigoons going out to the Selfridge Air Show/Open House today? It's free and looks pretty fun and the Blue Angels are flying. I'm taking the tsarinas out for the afternoon.
http://www.selfridgeopenhouse.com/
Not a Michigoon but I'm planning on going here tomorrow. I'll post photos but I don't have a huge tele lens so don't expect too much.

There's also a NATO show-off weekend in a couple of weeks but I'm already booked for a wedding :( hopefully it gets canceled so I can go.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
As promised, some photos from the weekend. Let me know if you want more of something - I have a whole bunch, just no in-flight closeups.

This was the Croatian team's display that I caught as I was arriving, seen taxiing below as some helicopters (including a Cobra) take off.

The Hind came out for a solo display but it's a fat slow gently caress compared compared to the cobra

The Belgians brought some non-fat F-16s but sadly didn't fly them that day.

Still, their team was the best part of the whole thing, as they had a gift-shop stand and the pilots actually hung out around it and I managed to chat with one of the guys for a few minutes. It was like being in Top Gun suddenly, just less gay.

The infamous Gripen was there too

The Latvian Baltic Bees team was next, using L-39 Albatrosses in a pretty cool display. Their announcer is amazing and sounds absolutely hilarious in English
http://balticbees.com/

The L-29 Dolphin, Albatross' predecessor, taxiing. Didn't see it fly.

L-159 Alca, Albatross' variant/ancestor. It did fly but by itself and without smoke the pics came out boring.

They actually brought out gliders

that did some stuff I wouldn't want to do without an engine.

End of part 1.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Naturally Selected posted:

And there you have it. I didn't feel like digging for stats at the time, so just assumed.

Really, once you get past the HOLY poo poo FLYING HOWITZER thing (which I will admit still makes me happy), it's really a pretty ridiculous aircraft.

Goddamn do I love light fighter designs. If you have any more pics of the F-16 or the Gripen, post them all.

To be fair, it's FLYING HOWITZER and BIGASS GATLING GUN :getin:

As nice as all the piston aircraft there were, the Viper just looks so loving cool. I did get these two shots of them:

And of the Gripen in the air. It was mostly too far and too fast (and too loud) to get a good shot with a 50mm lens, but in any case:

Ardeem posted:

What are those the wingtips of? I'm blanking on "square wingtips" + "four ailerons"

That's... whatever the hell this thing is:

I'd be curious if anyone can ID it.

Here are some more:

A Mi-something under wraps and a Yak-40 trijet.

That seems to be just the right size for a miata!

There was a simulated SAR mission, with the lower helicopter doing the extraction (of a dummy they themselves threw out :)) and the other one circling and providing covering fire. They winched everyone down and up, though it seemed that just landing would be much faster.

Don't recall the model, but it was a very important post-war plane here.

A few more shots of the Baltic Bees planes, I like the design.

Mig-15 (at least I think it's not -17) that apparently made it to the US, then was bought and brought back, and is now being restored. It rolled around but wasn't allowed to take off.

An-2s were slow as hell, but looked pretty cool doing it

These might've been flying in the morning as I didn't see them before their final takeoff.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 10, 2014

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for confirming the Mig-15. I checked wikipedia but spot the difference between the photos. The -17 not having a two-seat version is a clear giveaway though :)

One hilarious thing was that they brought out a priest to bless it and that was... just super awkward. The people are generally not religious and even those that are must've found this extremely weird. You'd see Russian priests doing that all the time but here it was just bizarre.

StandardVC10 posted:

Looks like an Aero Ae-45 or -145.

Yep, its the Ae-145, thanks!

Madurai posted:

What about the helicopter disaster in the background?

There's a Cobra, a Bell-206, and two Robinson R-44s. They were flown by a company offering training and helicopter transport services.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I'm gonna need more of the Croatian team if you have them.

Just remembered that they're called Wings of Storm (Krila Oluje).

I think I might've had exposure compensation set here :(

They have some official photos up, including close-ups of Wings of Storm:
http://airshow.cz/clanek-260-CZ-CIAF-2014-Fotogalerie

Kerrow posted:

Nato Days comming up next weekend. I'm bringing my camera so I hope I'll be able to get some decent shots.

Here's a list of the stuff on display http://www.natodays.cz/on-display

S infront of the name means static display
D is flight demo
P is fly-by

Anything in particular you guys interested in to focus on? :)

Poland will have a Toyota Hilux as an exhibit :lol:

Are you going there for both days? I'd join you but as I mentioned I'm already supposed to be at a wedding, though I might be able to slip out for the second day...

Also our American friends need to step up and send some F-15s ASAP.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Found this time/fuel graph. Not really surprising if I'm interpreting it correctly.

http://www.ipcc.ch/ipccreports/sres/aviation/124.htm

A Handed Missus posted:

Oh look, a Cobra owned by some Czech helicopter company.

Nice shot. Very likely to be the same one I saw at an air show couple weeks ago, just without a bigass lens:

And the Hind must be a close relative of this one that was also there:

They do training and helicopter transport services.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I support the Firehog idea simply because I want to see Hoser Satrapa fly one.

"WHY THE gently caress DID'YA TAKE OUT THE GUN?!?!?"

The Firehog doesn't have a giant water cannon in place of the GAU-8??

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Barnsy posted:

Holy poo poo that is amazing

Here's the slightly less amazing result from last test:

Midjack posted:

Heads up: it's a Phillip K. Dick novel and it gets meta as gently caress, moreso than many of his other works. It's good, but mere alt-history it ain't.

Exactly :awesome:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently a Greek F-16 crashed during takeoff on a Spanish air base, killing 10 and injuring another dozen :(

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30991950

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm quite bummed that I've been on four trans-Atlantic flights and never once it was a 747. Are there any routes or airlines particularly heavy on them vs 777 or other wide-bodies?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've flown several flights between DFW, EWR and LHR on BA and it was never a 747 :(

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
PSA for the pretty ladies: don't take unauthorized sexy pics in your uniforms!

Or maybe do...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

drgitlin posted:

The Nice-Monaco air taxi has gone into the sea more than once and lawyers haven’t mandated a week of training as a prerequisite before buying a ticket for it.
This is America buddy :911:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress are the ruskies back there again :(

Yeah it's the doomiest take but some stuff legitimately couldn't be moved quickly any other way, that's a serious issue.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MrYenko posted:

The only reason the An-225 existed was to transport Buran. If Buran hadn’t happened, Antonov wouldn’t have built the -225. Any use of the prototype after that was simply taking advantage of an existing asset. The financial incentive to have an outsize/heavyweight airlift capacity like that simply isn’t sufficient to build a bespoke aircraft, so if Antonov can’t complete the remaining incomplete An-225 airframe that’s probably that, unfortunately.

"Americans just used a 747"

And it's still cheaper because they don't have to pay Vova now?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

Seems like a good donor airframe for the An-225bis

Started Volg-Dnepr, now just Dnepr

mlmp08 posted:

Has there been any evidence of that beyond Ukrainians saying it happened? Seems like a lofty claim without good evidence.

I don't think that got confirmed so far. Maybe some fog of war poo poo or deliberate psyops to preempt anything that could drag Belarus into this poo poo

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dupersaurus posted:

Bunch of people ITT outing themselves as never having rode the mobile lounges when they were 8 years old

The first and only time I've been in one was earlier this year in Sweden in this absolute unit:

I think I'd definitely prefer it to having to get down the stairs and walk to a bus, though a jetway is obviously the best.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
I saw that in the original thread, no idea if it's true but it would rule so hard

FunOne posted:

I dunno, I've dealt with security stuff and having to show up well ahead of time for screening and whatnot in China. Trains being on time has nothing to do with traffic to and from the station.

I don't think these benefits hold long term. It takes one nut job to ruin it for the rest of us.
Yeah I don't think it's an inherently plane problem, just something we created. I certainly had to go through security for trains in Chian and Uzbekistan for example.

Meanwhile I can get on an EU flight within 15 minutes from entering my airport, including security checks.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of aeronautical insanity, apparently Ukraine hit a fuel dump in russia with two helicopters, nothing blows up here (you can find other videos if you want) but check out how they're flying back, shiiiiit

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1509764935567519756

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Some new footage from the Antonov airport

The 124 is damaged but generally looks ok
https://twitter.com/huvorzel1/status/1511423670299906051

The 225, not so much. Everything aft of the wings seems to be in once piece but no idea if any of it could be useful.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1511424941442408458

It seems to embed multiple posts so just check the thread for some more photos

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/5uFoYy5.mp4

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Deptfordx posted:

They had to ban the A10 from low level strafing in the first gulf war because they were taking too many losses. It spent most of the 1991 campaign plinking tanks from altitude with Marvericks. It's vaunted gun so much dead weight very effective brake.

The A-10 will come in useful when it's time to mop up the 40km long battle Lada columns, but now something more modern would definitely be the way to go. Apparently they're already training on F-16s which makes a lot of sense with modern PGMs.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What the fuuuuck

https://twitter.com/Hoddy1982/status/1520300420379389954

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh wow didn't see the Ceaușescu name-drop coming.

Do attorneys often make YouTube statements in ongoing cases?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Jesus Christ are they just going to sedate the people in economy class.

https://twitter.com/Quicktake/status/1521029180955189251
I've been on a 24+ hour bus trips before so this couldn't possibly be any worse than that.

I can't seel in anything that isn't my bed though so that's not going to be a factor anyway.

In-flight internet would be great, I think I've been on one or two flights that even offered it though. Pretty weird that Ryanair and friends aren't milking $5 from everyone for an hour or two of connectivity.

Does that really count as "messed up", then?
vvvv

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 2, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Psion posted:

have you been on any really long flights to compare? at least for me, I can assure you a 20 hour flight would be significantly worse
The longest was FRA-SEA I think, almost 11 hours. It would be fine if I could actually sleep. Eat, sleep, wake up and you're there. I'm sure it gets worse but it's not like walking out side the bus for 5 minutes helps much anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zorak of Michigan posted:

2-5-2 means a large family can fit in one row.

Mom, dad, and a very large adult son in the middle row?

I guess I'm lucky I'm normal sized because space is never an issue in airplanes. Though having two empty seats next to you is nice.