Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I don't even know where to ask, but I need some advice on appraising a plane to sell (and holy poo poo it's hard to search the internet for this stuff..I have no idea what's reliable).

My dad has had a stroke 2 years ago and is selling his 1965 Cessna 172. I'm not sure how to appraise it. It's been sitting in the hangar unflown for about 4 or 5 years almost. My brother and a prospective buyer took it out and got it running good enough to taxi it around. The buyer wants to pay 7 grand as he feels he will have to put a substantial amount of work into it (he's probably right). My dad is okay with that, but his reasoning isn't the best and I want to double check to make sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Thanks guys. The plane is a few hours away so it'll take a bit for me to be able to get away from work and get somebody to come look at the plane, but I'm gonna see what I can do.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

SouthLAnd posted:

Russian aeroplane cemetery. Kind of sad to look at actually.
http://englishrussia.com/2011/10/03/view-of-the-plane-cemetery-from-your-apartment/#more-69924

I always loved that very "bulbous" design.

Part 2 of "how do I sell my airplane?"

My brother and a pilot friend of his took the plane up yesterday and flew it around for a half hour or so.

I called a local mechanic around there who is going to take 2 days and do a full Pre-Buy on it. He thought $7000 was way way too low (and my dad delivered his kids so he's very "protective" of my dad) and that, especially since it's flown, you could probably get in the 15k-20k range. But he won't really know until he gets to take a look over it. He also said people have been hovering around that plane for the past 6 years constantly trying to buy low and sell high (since they knew he didn't fly it anymore).

Now the tricky part...my brother has all but said it was a done deal to his boss at 7 grand which is - unfortunate. Granted nothing is in writing, but they have a good relationship and the boss has already put a little bit of money and time into the plane. So now begins navigating the waters of "sorry he promised it to you for so low, but it's not going to sell for 7 grand...but we can still negotiate" territory. Naturally I'm initially just saying gently caress it and it'll go to the higher bidder, but goddamnit now I have to make sure he doesn't get poo poo on because a premature deal backfired. Ugh.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Bugsmasher posted:

Cockpit video of an ATR-72 landing very steep due to a pitch trim malfunction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNXaQpf26UA

What, exactly, am I watching here?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So apparently during the Iran Hostage crisis they were test outfitting C-130s with rockets for STOLs whilst prepping for rescue plans?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKCl3lfAx1Q

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Delivery McGee posted:

Credible Sport was ridiculous and amazing. "Let's plop a Herc down and take off on a soccer pitch!"

Great idea, until the wings fell off (seems that the C-130 has a problem with the wings falling off, because all the airframes are old as poo poo). Why didn't they do it with CH-53Es staging out in the vast desert next door?

Also what was the op where they did try to use Super Stallions in the desert and then whoops a sandstorm crippled half the birds?

Operation Eagle Claw. I remember reading a fantastic editorial/revisitation back in 2007 but for the life of me I can't remember the magazine (something Vanity Fair-esque).

Anyway, funny you mention the wings falling off of the C-130 since I found that Credible Sport video (which I had known nothing about) after searching for the C-130 firefighting plane crash back in 2006 or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bDNCac2N1o

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Would it have even been possible to get a cell phone call or text message out on the Malaysia flight? Maybe once they changed direction and got back over land again?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I didn't realize until just now that the "All right, good night" sign off happened after ACARS and the transponder were turned off. Creepy.

Now CNN (yeah yeah media outlet) is basically saying that American intelligence agencies are pointing towards the pilots as the suspects and apparently Malaysian officials have been camped out outside their houses just waiting for an excuse to go in.

Good lord this whole thing has gotten strange.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Jonny Nox posted:

The big problem with the bomb theory is that it is based on the word of Russia and Egyptian agencies. Neither of which are known for what I'm going to call vigorous fidelity.

US is now saying they have intelligence that suggests it's a bomb as well.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/04/middleeast/russian-plane-crash-airport-security/index.html

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Butt loving Egypt. Interesting to hear regional versions of what we call "Bum gently caress Egypt"

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Looks like 16 people killed in a C-130 refueling crash just outside of my hometown in the Mississippi Delta (it was coming from Memphis):

http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/35851293/update-16-people-on-board-military-c-130-killed-in-leflore-county-plane-crash

They think it exploded in mid-air.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Prop Wash posted:

From that webpage, a man who does not understand aviation:

https://twitter.com/CJLeMaster/status/884862524834951169

"More than 130 miles south of its approximate flight path" plus an image of a line between departure and destination on google earth, cripes. The plane went down on the J52 just a dozen or so miles prior to the Sidon navaid.

Ha! CJ's a good friend of mine. I'm going to rib him (although I see you already corrected him). He's a good guy, maybe a little naive.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Lord Stimperor posted:

That's a pittance imo considering what damages he prevented and the risk of personal injury. But I almost dreaded their taking initiative would get them fired, so yay I guess?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWLnvRRRtHM

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Cojawfee posted:

It's a drat shame, Jenkins. This poor bastard froze to death on the way down because his little toesies were exposed.

"Looks like this little piggy is going to... *puts sunglasses on* ... the morgue."

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kesper North posted:

That looks like a robot doing yoga

camera lookin' down: robot double fisting some rocket fuel.
camera lookin' up: hungover robot pukin' with his hands on his knees

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Cat Hatter posted:

A hand doing what? He's fine and walking around. A random passerby isn't going to be able to remove the airplane or catch it on the way down.

Just going over to check if he was ok? Who knows if he was actually fine second after it happened.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Cat Hatter posted:

Like walking towards the crash as soon as the plane lands but staying on your side of the road until you're closer to minimize the time you spend crossing the street, stopping for a second once you see the pilot getting out, and then shutting off the camera right after?

You guys are acting like the pilot is screaming for help or unconscious and some guy is just filming him bleed to death going :piss:

Actually nobody is saying that. I’ve just seen enough accidents (and been in one horrific one) to know that the people that aren’t immediately rushing that way are likely not going to be helping at any point.

I think you’re analysis is pretty funny though. “Staying on your side of the road until you’re closer to minimize the time you spend crossing the street” lol. That’s a helluva justification for “just wasn’t interested in helping”

It’s the tik tok age and dude was just getting what he thought was good video and not real interested in helping. I mean yeah he appears to be somewhat ok (although he sounds distressed and looks shaken up), but I don’t even hear the video guy even ask how he is?

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 17, 2022

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Cat Hatter posted:

Have you tried not assuming the worst of people and complaining about "kids these days"?

No because I'm basing it on experience. Both being in wrecks and witnessing them... Most people just gawk and don't offer any help.

Most people's reactions to a sudden event these days is to grab their phone and film it. That's hardly an old man yelling at clouds observation.

Edit: literally when I was in a bad wreck and crawled out of a window in a flipped over car it was 50 people gawking/taking pictures just *standing* there and one single solitary dude who left his car ten cars back (we were at an intersection) busting rear end over to me to help me out and make sure I was ok.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 17, 2022

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

7of7 posted:

Is there some kind of training for normal people to deal with a situation like this? When I've seen things happen I've always felt like if I get involved I'll just make the situation worse, especially if it's on an active freeway and my stopping means another rando wandering around in 80mph traffic. Or if the situation was caused by someone in some kind of chemical distress and I'm not really equipped to deal with someone in those circumstances. As others have said bystanders can interfere with professional responses. But I still would like to be able to provide something to people who are in a bad situation, even if it's just the cliche of 'hang in there'.

Honestly not sure. I mean other than like professional EMT/EMS training. I’ve just tried to not overstep my bounds. Like, I’m not going to try to get someone a trach or do anything I’m not equipped to. I’ve witnessed two big wrecks in the past few years (not including my own). One was a car getting t-boned and flipping over onto its side. Very busy morning traffic. Both lanes (it was a semi-rural two lane highway that commuters use as a shortcut) had stopped. I got out and was first to the car where there was a woman inside asking for helping getting out. I opened the door (which took me a bit… opening a door of a vehicle on its side is … not easy! It was an SUV and so it was tall) and asked if there was anybody else in there and she said no. I asked if she was hurt. Generic question but they can at least give you a “I can’t move my legs” or something like that response. She said she was ok and just wanted to get out. At that point somebody much stronger arrived by me and helped me lift her out. Cops came and we gave statements and moved on.

Second was a *bad* collision in a busy intersection. One car tried to beat the light. Truck on the opposite side that was turning tried to beat the light too. Only he was towing a steel trailer (a makeshift thing that was like a conex cut in half) and the woman t-boned it. Traffic stopped all way. And a few of us got out and ran to the car. She was actually hurt so I didn’t do anything except try to keep her calm and luckily a nurse bystander came by a few seconds later.

Then one time at a festival an older couple were leaving and all of a sudden the woman started yelling for help - her husband was collapsing (spoiler he was just dehydrated) - a few of us rushed over and just helped him ease to the ground (hold his head off the concrete, etc) until the paramedics got there super shortly.

Anyway those are my stories! Oddly I bought a dashcam because I kept witnessing wrecks and then, naturally, haven’t seen one in the years since I bought it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Pro-click but be careful about noise around nine minutes in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZPDfZArP_Q

That was a fascinating watch

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
First thought was suicide... Second thought (after reading he may have puked out the cockpit window first) is that maybe he really did feel sick/anxious and just made a bad judgement call? Went to open the back door and forgot.to secure himself?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bull3964 posted:

Ugh, I flew for the first time since the beginning of 2020 and the craziness that ensued just trying to get home yesterday is going to ensure I'm not going to fly again if I can help it for a very long time. It's amazing that airlines think that they can cancel a flight when you are already at the airport and rebook you on one TWO DAYS from then and think that's acceptable. I was able at least to fly halfway around the country on a rube goldberg like list of connecting flights to finally get home 6 hours after I was supposed to, just BARELY making my last connection, but the rest of my family wasn't so lucky and ended up renting a car and driving 14 hours home since they kinda needed to get the kids to school on Monday.

The last time I flew was March of 2020, got home right before the poo poo hit the fan. The stark contrast of that to now is unmistakable seeing it back to back. There were delays and such sure, and extreme events could cause travel chaos, but the number of flights that are just outright cancelled on a daily basis on short notice with no other option just wasn't happening.

We went to visit family a week ago and chose to drive the 14 hours instead specifically because of a fear of this happening. If it was just me and my wife it wouldn't be the worst. But with two kids... Yeah we ain't got time for that poo poo.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Puke and rally

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Just don't watch the one where the DC-10s wings fall off

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Pretty sure that was a C-130.

Oh poo poo it was and I literally just saw it the other day. My brain is dumb

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

`Nemesis posted:

sir you can't park there

Plane was just a little thirsty

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

mobby_6kl posted:

"Auckland International Airport has been closed by flooding, hours after a landing plane hit and damaged several runway lights causing major delays to flights"

What a confusing sentence. What does the plane hitting runway lights have to do with the flooding?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sagebrush posted:

Boy that's a pretty plane

I was obsessed with that design when I was a kid. Think I even had a model/toy of it at some point. It just feels so...modern?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Midjack posted:

The piss truck is real.

New thread title

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

slidebite posted:

I would love to try that job

We actually got contacted to create a VR simulator for this exact thing to be used as a training tool but the project ultimately fell through :(

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Apparently an authorized person in the cockpit on an Alaskan Airlines (Horizon) flight tried to shut down the engines midflight. Some pilot catching a jumpseat ride I guess.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/23/us/alaska-airlines-passenger/index.html

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sagebrush posted:

If you're a professional pilot suffering from depression, you can't seek professional help, because going on antidepressants -- even if they're 100% effective from day 1 -- is an instant grounding for a minimum of 6 months. And if the drug that works for you is not one of the only four that are FAA approved, sorry, no medical certificate for you ever again.

In anonymous surveys, many, many pilots report depression, anxiety, and other mental health issues that they choose to ignore or self-medicate with alcohol (the one drug the FAA does allow you to take as much as you want, just not within 8 hours of flying!) rather than seek help and risk ending their career.

Hot take: if this mushroom pilot is telling the truth, this incident is the fault of the FAA and their medieval attitude to mental health.

............ jesus christ

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Man it's wild the different personalities in pilots you can have.

Flyin' CLT to MSY and had the absolutely mildest turbulence ever for 10 minutes. Pilot comes on "oh man I'm so sorry about all this turbulence folks! We're gonna see if we can get down to 11,000 feet to find some smoother air.... ooooh actually it's nice here right around 17,000. Hope y'all have a great day!"

(he was also clearly playing with his pilot voice "Will the flight attendents uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh please prepare for landing." And had folks cracking up.

Flyin' MSY to CLT and hit the most severe turbulence I've ever been in. Huge lurches, drops , rolls and shutters. My wife was crying and gripping my arm across the aisle. Pilot doesn't say a *word*... (except for "flight attendants be seated.")

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

PainterofCrap posted:

Crossposting from the OSHA thread:

There's also another angle of that from a person filming the takeoff and crash. Looks like the rear rotor either didn't start or clipped a tree or something

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ImplicitAssembler posted:

If the main rotor starts, so does the tail and you ain't taking off without a tail rotor. The tail rotor is driven by the main gearbox, after the freewheel/clutch.

Copy, so it must've clipped a tree I guess. I was watching reels on Insta and both popped up. It was on my phone so harder to see, but very shortly after takeoff the helo turns and goes by some trees (can't tell if it hit) and the tail rotor is definitely barely spinning if at all and the pilot quickly gets it to ground.

edit: or I guess I could just google it lol. It was rotor failure. The video here is crappy but the tail rotor starts then appears to giveout as soon as it gets in the air.

6 people on board - including a doctor and nurse transporting a crash victim - and luckily everyone was fine!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/police-chopper-crash-lands-on-brazilian-highway/ar-AA1mKT2T

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 10, 2024

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The Real Amethyst posted:

Challenger 604 crashed in Naples Florida due to both engines failing on landing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1TCUBIFKIw

Seems like the only 3 passengers survived and two pilots died. Apparently they may have been aiming for the golf course on the other side of that tall barrier and didn't quite make it.

edit: 1 crew 2 passengers survived.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 13, 2024

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
There's dashcam footage of the Challenger plane in Naples coming down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRFWfjyq6h0

On one hand I feel like they were so close to getting it down without exploding. On the other hand, if they had landed "better" they likely would have hit more traffic and could have caused more deaths than just the pilots. Sucks all the way around. I wonder what the cause of dual engine failure is going to be.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Cactus Ghost posted:

pilot nailed it as far as i can tell. followed the training and everyone walked away.

is there a longer version of this with sound? or an ntsb report? i don't know how to look those up with only vague info

If you open it in a new tab, it has audio on it (not sure about a longer version though).

edit: nm it's in that link my bad

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

mobby_6kl posted:

It has audio in this clip too, you just have to unmute it.

If the helicopter is totaled they could probably just chop it up into smaller and lighter pieces right there.

Interesting because in the app I have audio controls but in the browser I don't unless I open it in new tab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Also would the controls just blipping out momentarily cause a sudden dive? Seems like the plane would just momentarily glide. IANAP tho