Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
The distilled water bit was something I didn't know about, yet I'm not surprised. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Sagebrush posted:

I was really hoping for more impressive tip vortices :saddowns:

Pesky winglets ruining our good times.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

e.pilot posted:

A lot of drink powders will make them flip the gently caress out too

A few years back I took 30 packets of Hidden Valley Ranch powder in my carry on bag to my buddy in Beijing where he could not acquire ranch dressing but could acquire seemingly endless quantities of heavy duty mayonnaise (as indicated by the label) from Hong Kong so it was a match made in the Temple of Heaven, as they say.

TSA in CLT, BDL, and DEN (hidden city tickets 🤷‍♀️) had no idea what to make of me and why I was doing this upon the multiple secondary screenings I received despite having CLEAR and Precheck. Good times.

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 23, 2021

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

bennyfactor posted:

PT-MUA is a Brazilian registry, and that plane is operated by the South American carrier LATAM so :shrug:

Indeed; my guess is that particular aircraft was next in the rotation of needing to be flown so it wasn't more expensive to keep it parked.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

dupersaurus posted:

757s are the awkward, lanky teenager phase of a narrow body growing into a wide body and I love them

The 752 is simply dreamy. :allears:

There are few greater pleasures in commercial aviation as a passenger than boarding and then turning left.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

vessbot posted:

The A and C terminal bathrooms are honestly temples of serenity. Never busy, and so spacious that the area with sinks is kinda separate from the area with stalls and urinals. It's got nice warm-colored and textured tile that doesn't feel like a horror asylum, and across from the sinks there's a blank wall with nothing but a mirror over a little table surface that after I wash my hands I go to adjust my tie knot in the mirror and smile at myself as I daydream for a little bit and recharge myself for the rest of the day. There may even be plants, I'm not sure and my memory may be inventing them, but that's at least the feel.

Propiss++

Also I got a thread title! :dance:

Another instance of true beauty in pissing could be found at IAH in the United Club (nee Presidents Club) in C South. Therein lay a urinal mounted so high you could lay your balls on it. Big John was a quality pee and I miss him to this day when transiting IAH.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

LimaBiker posted:

In Diemen, the Netherlands, there is a museum with a truly amazing collection of WW2 german electronics technology. It's highly tech centered; i could not sense any ideological involvement when i was there, at a meetup about radar systems.

They have one of the gyroscope units from a V2 or V1 rocket. Their web site is as bad as their collection and technical knowledge is good. Here's something about the Mischgerät: https://www.cdvandt.org/archive_3_displays_5.htm

Their youtube channel has a lot of demonstrations of the meticulously restored equipment, but is only numbered. It doesn't have the names or type numbers of the equipment in the video titles, annoyingly enough. But probably a concious effort to avoid neonazis from going all 'Yay look at how awesome the 3rd reich was'.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS8Ky5mQTG_tnhJrTklOskw/videos

Here's a german paper from the late 1980s on the guidance system of the V2: https://www.cdvandt.org/v2__computer.htm

Here's their V1 gyroscope system: https://www.cdvandt.org/2013001V1.pdf

They also have a metric fuckton of radar equipment, including some that uses diëlectric antennas, the technology that makes the super tiny antennas in cellphones possible.

Here's a page about someone else's collection of nazi electronics: https://www.cdvandt.org/beck_collection.htm

And there you can see actual V2 gyroscopes.

Seeing that stuff in real life is chilling. Both because many of those things are technological masterpieces, as well as because they were all used to occupy my country and kill my 'kind' of people.

That is neat as poo poo, definitely looking that place up when in The Netherlands next.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Safety Dance posted:

I think that's heavily dependent on if you're larger or smaller than the theoretical person around whom the seat was designed, and how full the flight is. If I'm not sitting bolt upright, the person in front of me is going to recline right into my knees, and my shoulders overhang my seatmates' seats unless I lean out into the aisle or squish myself into the window.

This. I'm 6'5" and an enormus pile, so crossing oceans needs to happen in a premium cabin for my comfort and that of those around me. I'll do Y+ on day flights, but not where I'm expected to actually get some sleep.

This is also why the day flights to Europe are the best.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

hobbesmaster posted:

AF really dragged KLM down with that merger/whatever.

FlyingPoo infects all things.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Cojawfee posted:

It's a fake cat and apparently she is the lady that does those videos where she makes ice cream in a toilet, so I'd say it is staged.

The Internet has truly ruined everything.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Never a bad time for an Antonov.

https://twitter.com/AeronewsGlobal/status/1480186494061056002?s=20

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

That is tits.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Far be it from me to say nice things about United, but motherfucking stroopwaffles, man.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

MrYenko posted:

I never spotted the culprit, but some dickhead on a DAL-FLL flight popped open his loving salmon and broccoli once. At least it wasn’t freshly heated up, but dear god man, what the actual gently caress.

I see grounds for a diversion.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
If I wasn't already sure this timeline was rapidly descending into a hellscape from which there is no hope of salvation, I would express the idea that the Big Front Seat could roll out across the F9 fleet. But passengers don't get improvements anymore, so we're all doomed hail satan.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I did FRA-HKG a couple of years ago in 1A on the LH 748, was very good. Also BOS-FRA and return on the 744 upper deck shortly before they left the LH fleet; what a difference from the UA 744.

Only real issue was LH's tendency to run the cabin temp at two bajillion degrees.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

hobbesmaster posted:

They didn’t seem to have control of the collective at least

:hmmyes:

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
That "for the benefit of" clause there is a nice loophole avoidance mechanism.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Looks like Sabre has officially terminated their agreement with Aeroflot. No dispatching or anything else.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Nebakenezzer posted:

It's slowly dawning on me that so many lockouts are happening with Russian aviation that they are gonna loose the ability to fly airplanes not only out of Russia, but inside Russia as well, unless the types they fly are Russian-produced. You might want to hang on to those An-2s, guys...

And with Airbus and a wildly reluctant Boeing shutting them out, those fleets are going to become very large paperweights without the ability to get parts and perform basic MX to maintain airworthiness.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

MrYenko posted:

:prepop:

For anyone unfamiliar, Sabre is the software that a good deal of the airlines globally use for ticketing, scheduling, marketing, etc etc. It’s a pretty huge deal to lose access to.

I'm trying to find out if it was just the GDS access that they dropped or if it was the PSS, too. PSS is a much bigger deal.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Beef Of Ages posted:

I'm trying to find out if it was just the GDS access that they dropped or if it was the PSS, too. PSS is a much bigger deal.

Unfortunately, it looks like the PSS is not included.

https://twitter.com/hharteveldt/status/1499415252810801153?t=W5RfsquRhqH6MOt3OJRzrQ&s=19

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

slidebite posted:

Can you explain what that means? I've heard of Sabre, but not the PSS/GDS

GDS, or Global Distribution System, is what airlines use to publish inventory to travel agents. There's a handful of them in the world, and Sabre is one of the largest. The PSS, or Passenger Service System, is the core system of record for reservations at the airline no matter what channel they're sold through (GDS, direct on the airline's website, etc.). The PSS often has hooks for dispatching (weight and balance) and check in, boarding, etc. Loss of PSS is a much bigger deal but real impact depends on how Aeroflot was set up with SabreSonic.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Charles posted:

Is Sabre still built on archaic technology

It is commercial aviation oriented, therefore it is ancient.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

hobbesmaster posted:

What else are you going to use, dynamics?

I'm experiencing a Pavlovian response as a byproduct of working for one of their competitors.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Sanctions regimes are not voluntary. if you're a US company, you're not selling any sanctioned poo poo to Russia.

Yup, and part of why Embraer joined in so they don't jeopardize their relationships with the US and EU, among others.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Arson Daily posted:

Any one know if a certain Georgia based or several Kansas based aircraft manufacturers have joined in the sanctions? Are yak-50's now in high demand by Russia's 1%?

The Yak-50 was always in high demand in my heart. :swoon:

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

~Coxy posted:

Aloha Airlines Flight 243

:drat:

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

probably depends on some external factors like who owns the airline, who was on the plane, who the pilots were, etc.

This. I would rate it as unlikely that we get a full NTSB-style read out on what happened. It will also be interesting if they ask Boeing to send folks to help.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

FrozenVent posted:

For what it’s worth since the airplane is American-built, the NTSB can participate in the investigation. Whether China lets them, we’ll see.

NTSB announced they assigned an investigator, but yeah, we'll see what China permits them to do. Folks who enjoy head fashions maid of tin foil tend to use that as a barometer of whether or not foul play was involved so I'm sure the A.Nutters will be all spun up for a while.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

hobbesmaster posted:

I’m also skeptical of the possibility of a good weekend in Dallas in general.

As you should be. It is a lovely place.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
There is no hell like CLT.

Despite the new wing of Concourse A, the airport simply wasn't built for having 12% of the population of the southeastern US shoved through it every day. The new construction projects for the ticketing lobby and arrivals area aren't going to fix that. And half the vendors are still closed so eating or drinking is impossible without three hours to wait. This problem was exacerbated this week when one of the food vendors in the atrium caught on drat fire.

At least there's a Centurion Lounge? 🤷

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

JohnCompany posted:

But rocking chairs . . . ?

Which are overrun by thousands of people and constantly catching the tail of the dog sitting next to them.

I've been in 132 different airports around the world and CLT is the only one where I've seen people paying no attention whatsoever to the dog they're dragging on a leash that is actively making GBS threads. Twice.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

mobby_6kl posted:

Speaking of aeronautical insanity, apparently Ukraine hit a fuel dump in russia with two helicopters, nothing blows up here (you can find other videos if you want) but check out how they're flying back, shiiiiit

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1509764935567519756

My buddy and I were joking that the Ukrainian helicopters had to stop short of their base due to lack of fuel because their dispatchers failed to account for the size of their pilot's huge balls.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

hobbesmaster posted:

Yes, the MSFS Reddit gets gifs of people trying to land wide bodies at it daily.

I feel like the jeppsen chart undersells things a bit at this airport… https://ww2.jeppesen.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/TFFJ.pdf
“Take-offs on runway 28 prohibited”
“Runway 28…
Going around is prohibited in short final”

I just tried in the A320 and I wound up on the hill at the end. Airplane broke as hell but everyone probably lived. 🤷‍♂️

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

CarForumPoster posted:

Yea but the clearance procedures from Los Zetas can be onerous to say the least

Clearance is a basic formality that is, often, entirely optional.

It's the ground staff one should be concerned with.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Deptfordx posted:

How bad would it be if the slide on a big jet deployed mid flight?

Slides are mounted in the door and you can't open the door while pressurized so I'm guessing real, real goddamn bad.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Loucks posted:

I've done LA to Sydney and back in economy via Quantas. Maybe I'm some sort of flight pervert, but it was great. I just played video games and read books and napped and occasionally walked down the aisle to stretch while the flight attendants kept handing me beer, then coffee. Admittedly edibles would make it an even more fun experience, but I'd happily do it again tomorrow if it weren't for Covid. New York to Sydney doesn't seem like a significant increase in duration.

14 vs 20 hours? That's a shitload in my book.

I've done 16 from Hong Kong to Chicago and I was ready to be the hell off that plane and I was in business and love to travel.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Spaced God posted:

*looking around cavenders* you're telling me a boot built this city?

Those of us who grew up in the Houston area deeply appreciate this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm going to have a JFK-DUB-BER flight in a week or so. They seem to be forcing all bags that don't fit under the seat to be checked in, but some things changed and I'm not going to get on the last flight. Since there's a long, like 10 hour, layover in Dublin anyway, it wouldn't be suspicious to ask them to send the bag to DUB only, right?

It's rare to find an agent that will short check a bag, but you can certainly ask.