Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

If I recall properly season 6 isn't officially the last season, it's just the last season the creator is going to be working on, we haven't gotten a confirmation regarding cancellation
Oh great. Even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Larryb posted:

Avatar (the cartoon) is coming back as a brand new Netflix-exclusive live action series penned by the original writers:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/avatar-the-last-airbender-is-being-reborn-as-a-netflix-1829139229
That sounds like a sort of bad idea.

mystes
May 31, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

It's a special kind of bad idea where even if it works out and it's good... what's the point? ATLA already exists and is great. Barely a decade old.

It's particularly ehhh to me because we have ATLA in the 20s, ATLA in Space and ATLA with Dragon out there already. Sure, there's debates to be had about the quality of all those, but they all take the ATLA roots and go somewhere else with it, and that's more interesting than just going back to ATLA and do it over.
Honestly, I can't imagine that there's any real motivation except the fact that it's an easy way to make a Netflix original series.

Although if this is a sign that Netflix is now going to focus on churning out "stuff like Avatar" the way it has been churning out crappy superhero shows, I might not complain too much.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Macrame_God posted:

Doesn't Nick own the Avatar IP? Why is it on Netflix?
I guess the only two possibilities are that Nick only has the rights to the existing series (and the creators have the results to the name) or that Netflix licensed it from Nick? I don't know if there's any way to find out which is the case.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm just going to pretend it's the collegehumor one.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

like netflix just put up aggretsuko season 2 with no fanfare whatsoever, they don't really seem to have any sort of strategy when it comes to animation, just dump it out whenever there's an empty spot not filled by a Dreamworks cartoon
Sometimes it seems like they wait a few days after adding stuff to start actively promoting it on their website/app, although I don't know why they would do that.

mystes
May 31, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

gently caress it, pulled the trigger.

I really hope this isn't either a) breaking any forum rules or b) going to get me any nasty letters from Nick.
This is a bad idea. You're definitely going to be hearing from their lawyers.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Netflix has slightly more cachet so it’s a bit more likely.
Also, has netflix ever announced that they're making something only to cancel it before it airs?

mystes
May 31, 2006

TV Zombie posted:

drat that is really tempting me to get Disney Plus.
Put it on your calendar for 1.5 years from now.

mystes
May 31, 2006

That show is apparently scheduled for mid 2021.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Coatlicue posted:

Yeah I've never been able to figure out why Netflix does not promote its own content more effectively. This ought to have been a notification for me given the amount of fantasy and animation I watch, but nope, hidden down in the feed.
It seems like for some reason it can take a week or two for new shows to start getting promoted, but I'm not sure if this is a bug in their recommendation algorithm or something they do intentionally to see how much organic interest there is in the show before they start promoting it or something.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ember Island Players is the best recap episode that any cartoon has ever had

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fairly Oddparents 2: Fairly Odd Parent Companies

mystes
May 31, 2006

This is the kids show discussion thread

mystes
May 31, 2006

Macaluso posted:

TIL that DC has its own Captain Marvel
Captain marvel is the superhero in Shazam they just dropped that name for the movie for obvious reasons

mystes
May 31, 2006

Junpei posted:

I'm reminded of an edit I saw of The Dark Knight quote, in reference to Amphibia, where it summed up the current state of animated shows as "You either die an episodic sitcom, or you live long enough to see yourself become a shonen anime."
Is that what happened to star vs the forces of evil too?

mystes
May 31, 2006

That's Stephen Universe after he has transformed into the Incredible Sulk

mystes
May 31, 2006

Junpei posted:

https://twitter.com/cinelinx/status/1665818110597660681

Mutant Mayhem will continue into an animated show.
"In the same universe" doesn't necessarily mean that the actual show will be similar in terms of animation style, etc., though

mystes
May 31, 2006

Inkspot posted:

What is #TUDUM?
I googled it and I am pleased to inform you that I still can't understand what it is

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think that works better if you're making a spinoff movie where once you get people in the theater, you already have their money, and less well if you're Netflix and you're just adding another show that people will turn off after 5 minutes

mystes
May 31, 2006

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I wonder what the Infinity train guy is up to.

ah

Well, I hope he's happy with how the animation industry is going.

It's funny because among us already probably falls under "nostalgia"

mystes
May 31, 2006

Larryb posted:

(though then again there are actresses twice her age that are still voicing kids)
I don't think the issue is that people that old can't voice kids so much as that it specifically sounds weird when people voice the same character after their voice has changed

mystes
May 31, 2006

mycot posted:

Avatar had a better ending than most shonen anime there I said it.
Yeah it's probably accurate to say it has a better ending than animes that typically stop in a random place with no actual conclusion because they're adapting a comic book that has been running for 10 years and won't be finished for another 10

mystes
May 31, 2006

in that case it's trivially true because the mangas just don't loving end

mystes
May 31, 2006

mycot posted:

Yeah I was posting in jest but this is what I was really getting at. Something like ATLA really does do certain things better than its inspirations. Trying to track the character arc of, like, Sasuke is a loving mess compared to Zuko.
I think a lot of manga really has a similar issue to series of books where there's often only one book's worth of good content but by being stretched out it becomes repetitive and the story has to be effectively reset multiple times, so the overall story arc is ruined and something that could have been fantastic as a single book with a real conclusion ends up being completely mediocre or actively bad by the end. IMO it's basically impossible to tell a meaningful story once it gets dragged out too long.

ATLA is great because it just tells a complete, coherent story and then stops, which you wouldn't think would be a high bar but maybe it is

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 10, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

Everyone in the superman universe is just face blind

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think it sort of shows how we've gone from shows being made to look vaguely anime-ish purely because some executive decided that that's what kids like to just everyone in the animation industry having grown up watching anime so things from anime just naturally end up in american cartoons

mystes
May 31, 2006

I saw Mutant Mayhem as well. It maybe felt a little light/predictable but I think it was pretty good movie. It also had the absolute most random references, lol

Given the short runtime it also did a really good job of setting stuff up jokes and having them pay off later in unexpected ways

mystes fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 3, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

MorningMoon posted:

Yeah, don't trust streaming shows. I still don't believe we will see those atla streaming shows, just one or two movies.
They recently put out some photos so unfortunately we probably will see one season of an atla streaming show before it gets cancelled

mystes
May 31, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

The baseline pitch is right in the title. They are teenage, mutant, ninjas and turtles. Where you go with that is up to you.
A group of teenage ninjas with superpowers who are heavily focused on defense in rts games

mystes
May 31, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Holy poo poo I'm reading about the whole deal with Voltron and Shiro's sexuality, straight from the horse's mouth, and it's a loving mess.

First the writers, they wanted the character to be gay, and for the character to die. They quickly realised that this was a bad idea, so they decided that they'd find queer representation somewhere else and Shiro would still die because that would be a nice shout out to the original, and they always knew they were going to have to play politics with the producers to get a queer chatacter on the show.

Then the marketing people decided that Shiro was too popular, so he'd have to live and be in every episode. So the writers decided he should go back to being queer. They wrote a scene with him and Adam in series 7, which was as early as they were able to get that happening, and the marketing people hated it and told them to turn it platonic and were given specific notes about how the character should be handled (this is as specific as the writers get here). The writers followed instructions, and Season 7 was locked. Season 8 rolls around and is close to being done when suddenly marketing decides that queer characters are hip and in. So they had a choice: they could either regay that scene or have basically no representation full stop -- so they redubbed the scene in Season 7 and added that bit at the end right about when they only had a month's worth of work left on the program.

Straight hosed.
lol that's really dumb even compared to what's happened with other cartoons

mystes
May 31, 2006

MorningMoon posted:

anime is just animation in japan, like c'mon. Are we really going to be going in the same post that "animation is a medium" to say "anime is just a genre, tho, Doraemon and Akira fit the same subgenre"
As Open Source Idiom said, it seems like the way the word is being used in English isn't the same, since most English speakers wouldn't describe something like Frozen as "anime" even though it would be described that way in Japanese, so if by "anime is just animation in japan" you mean "anime is just animation in japanese" I'm not sure that's a great argument.

If you mean that anime means "cartoons produced in Japan (in some sense since multiple countries are involved in lots of shows, but setting that aside)" then it's probably not a genre but it seems like many people have specific ideas about what "anime" is and might exclude Japanese cartoons that aren't sufficient anime-like or include cartoons made in other countries that are sufficiently anime-like (however perhaps it's unclear whether or not the attributes in question would necessarily constitute a "genre" or not).

Basically I think trying to debate whether anime is a genre is pointless unless everyone can agree on a definition of "anime" first, which seems unlikely to happen.

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 12, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

Covok posted:

Have you watched Ghost Game or Adventure 2020? The former is really good and the later is better than people realize.
Ghost Game seems decent but it also feels like it was created because someone was like "we have to make a yokai watch ripoff using the Digimon ip"

mystes
May 31, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

That would be odd because Yokai Watch stopped being super popular years before Ghost Game, not that there probably isn't some DNA of it in there, but I'd have to look at any major staff connections.
I'm not sure that's true. They've been making yokai watch cartoons continuously since 2014 and the tone of ghost game is perhaps most similar to the episodic plots in the show Yokai Watch Shadowside which aired in 2018-2019 and had a slightly darker tone than the original yokai watch show.

mystes
May 31, 2006

YggiDee posted:

Alternatively, you draw a fake episode frame, give it a production code, display it on the monitors in the animation studio, take a lovely photo, post it to 4chan along with a real leak for authenticity, and follow it up with a tweet about how mad you are about leaks. that'll keep the little bastards entertained for a while.
That's pretty funny

mystes
May 31, 2006

mycot posted:

People find issue with this but it's describing a specific sort of person who thinks of themself as a meek underdog nice guy but is really just as egotistical and self-centered as everybody else. If you think that describes all shy people that's on you.
It is not "on you" if you interpret a statement beginning "Like all people with timid personalities" as an assertion about all people with timid personalities, no

mystes
May 31, 2006

I wonder how the animation will look on a TV budget

mystes
May 31, 2006

Larryb posted:

We’ve got our first trailer for the new TMNT show:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=wJmQyv93qPY
I think this is understandably going to be compared unfavorably to the movie, but I think given the constraints they're probably working under, it seems like a pretty good job of approximately preserving the look of the movie in a 2d show with a much lower budget.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Also I think the video quality in that upload wasn't helping and it looks better in the official upload that someone linked elsewhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G4QsXwZFNY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Is this literally the first Disney+ original show that that isn't based on an existing Disney IP aside from movies that went directly to Disney+ during covid?

I guess they must have at least had some live action kids shows that I just can't think of off the top of my head.