Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Bob Log posted:

Can anyone tell me what the problem is with 05 Mustang GT gauges?

I don't know if it's a common problem but the gauges on my friend's GT have poo poo out, the local dealerships are literally scam artists and we don't trust them for a number of reasons.

I'm inclined to believe the gauges themselves are defective but if anyone has any direct experiences or things I can do to troubleshoot them I'd be very grateful.

ALL the gauges in the pod are affected including the speedometer. Sometimes they just stay dead or sometimes they will get stuck while moving. Most of the time lately they don't work at all.

Maybe there's a bad ground for your gauge pod/dash? Poke around for power or ground, since they all poo poo out at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

oRenj9 posted:

Good. loving. Lord. I would hate to see the repair bill after that landing...

Somebody needs to make @0:40 into a photo so I can replace my desktop background.

From here

Too bad it's not bigger.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
How different is the new 6.2L "Boss" from the truck 6.2? Are they the same motor? How different is it from the Coyote? Looks like the heads are very different (Coyote has 4 valves per cyl, right?) but other than that? Are the blocks similar enough to put Coyote heads on a Boss block? I don't know if they're as lego as the LSx stuff is.

e: Googling seems to answer all my questions, derp. Looks like it's all the same motor, and the 6.2 has a bigger bore spacing. Is anyone excited about the 6.2 at all? Or is there no point when the 5.0 is around?

Raluek fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 5, 2011

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kimbo305 posted:

Isn't bore spacing one of the things that isn't changed in an engine family? Or rather, a practical limit of tooling used to make a variety of engines

I think 5.0 is a good displacement for a lot of power possibilities. 6.2 still seems like a truck motor in my mind and feels at home in the Raptor.

My googling led me to http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=31019 which said "Core to the improvements is the adoption of an all-new engine architecture, with increased bore spacing, that allows better engine “breathing” in both the intake and exhaust for more power and more overall efficiency."

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
That's too bad, I was really hoping it would just be a bigger displacement coyote, since they were both engineered around the same time.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kronix posted:

...the IRS is the biggest improvement that Ford can make for the every day customer.

So how exactly is this? They're durable and cheap and work fine for most driving, so how's an IRS gonna change anything for the "every day customer"? I don't mean to white knight, I've never driven a RWD car with IRS. I'm honestly wondering what it will change in everyday driving. Seems like from posts in this thread that their current implementation has some shimmy, but changing around their members should clear that right up. That particular thing is due to their particular implementation, not due to having a solid rear in general.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Didn't (as someone pointed out earlier in the thread) the first mustang come out in 1964 as a 1965 model year? Wouldn't that make MY2015 the 50th?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Devyl posted:

Technically, it was a '64 1/2

Really? All the semi-authoritative Mustang sources I've read say that it was sold as a 1965. I understand there were early/late 1965 differences, but I was led to understand that the vins all had a 5, not a 4.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
His is a '67 too, and that one pictured is a '68, as far as I can tell. It has those corner marker lights, I don't think the '67 did.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Throatwarbler posted:

On the other hand that is definitely frozenphill in the picture.

Further proof that you are what you eat.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Micromancer posted:

I don't know what's more the car or the comments

Everyone seems to be dogpiling him for being "bad for the environment" or whatever, but do they expect any car they see at a race track to be environmentally friendly? Somehow it's different because it's a diesel!!!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

bowling 4 buttcoins posted:

If it makes you feel any better I'm still dealing with skip shift issues, even after MGW install. Are you sure we can disable this via a tune for all 2011+?

Is the TR-6060 (or whatever they're using now) the same as the T-56, where you can just unplug and remove the skip-shift solenoid and install a block-off bolt, then stick a resistor in its connector and tape it off?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Also if you have a local Fastenal they have or can get most things. Unfortunately, for anything slightly atypical (something automotive specific) they will give you dumb looks.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

It's a... Mustaurus?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

SouthLAnd posted:

"An employee has taken your wheel home and affixed it to his own vehicle. This may cause a permanent delay in delivery".

Just check to see if the mail jeep has one torq thrust and 3 steelies. Or maybe just keep ordering new wheels until the jeep has 4 matching ones!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

SouthLAnd posted:

What in the gently caress is up with those wheels? :gonk:

The fact that they're beadlocks, or the fact that they're fancypants beadlocks?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Haha, christ, that ad. To me, it reads like:

"Weather happened, and then my Mustang got totalled somehow! Anyway, I'll be profiting from this experience, but just so it doesn't happen again, I better get something with 4WD! Oh, and just so I don't have to bother with renting or borrowing a car, just bring down your proposition so that I might grace it with my judgement."

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Really? I have rented cars before I turned 25. The only thing that was a pain was trying to get a pickup truck, for some reason. Doesn't seem too bad to ask a friend for a ride to go look at a car. I've been that ride guy before, get to look at neat stuff and it's not even my money that gets spent! win-win.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

juche mane posted:

That is correct sir.

But a 302 should fit just fine, and a 351 shouldn't be too much trouble. :getin:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Devyl posted:

If anyone here buys a new '15/'16 Mustang and hears a weird rattling noise coming from the front end (similar to a coin vibrating around) PLEASE let me know.

Did you drop a coin out of your pocket on the assembly line?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Elephanthead posted:

So you all are saying I should buy a $4000 2005 v6 mustang and ls swap it? Does anyone sell a crossmember kit like they do for the fox bodies cause I am down for dropping in a junkyard engine combo for $1,200 just to be extra cool.

Looks like there's tons of support for SN95, but not for the 05-09 retrostangs.

Inspiration: http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1748623-sn-95-lsx-swap-build-thread.html

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kalvick posted:

Why would you want to put in a non Ford based engine is beyond me but it is possible.

Because the 4.6 is a boat anchor unless you add forced induction.

"Built ford tough, with Chevy stuff"

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ilkhan posted:

I didn't like the EB when I drove it, but I want leather and sync3.
There is no V6 premium for the S550.
:(

I also want the PP tuning and torsen dif but don't want the 3.73 gears.
:(:(

What, you'd rather have 4.10s? :getin:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

iwentdoodie posted:

If you have an SN95 V6 or a ratty GT, it can make a lot of sense. Especially if your only goal is to go very fast in a straight line.

Let's not pretend that an LS wouldn't lower the center of gravity and drop some weight compared to a modular.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
For that price you might as well get a decent aftermarket wheel; you'd get the added advantage of it not looking like an F150 wheel too.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kalvick posted:

I want to keep my airbag though.

Eew. I almost listed being able to ditch the ugly airbag wheel as a benefit, but assumed it went without saying.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kalvick posted:

out of curiosity, what wheels would you recommend that dont look totally aftermarket and could possibly look like it came stock on the car?

I dunno, my taste is kind of suspect because I really don't mind the plainer Grant wheels. As far as nicer wheels there's the usual like the Nardi Competition or the Momo of your choice or whatever. But they don't look stockish, so I guess if that's something to shoot for then I don't really have a suggestion. I don't think a slightly racy wheel looks too out of place in a pony car, though :shobon:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Bumming Your Scene posted:

What wheel is that? ^^

Nardi of some variety. Competition, I think.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ilkhan posted:

I may have California for a whole host of reasons, but not having to drive a beater half the year is definitely a nice thing.

Instead, we can drive beaters all year round!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ilkhan posted:

/me looks at current Mustang.
Aww crap. :(

Beater mustangs are the best mustangs. Shifter sticking through a hole in the floor, side-exit exhaust sticking out at different angles on each side, panels of at least 2 different colors, and no fucks given.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ilkhan posted:

Picture is definitely giant. Strange, since it has timg tags.

And yes, SN9x needs the wing.

Yea the trunk looks too long without the wing there IMO.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kalvick posted:

did you try pushing the schrader valve? did gas come out? or hiss or anything? its looks like a little bicycle tire plug where you would hook up a bike pump, you can press it down with your finger.
check out this link for a location http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt121/mell00ut/Untitled.png

if its clicking that's the battery not supplying enough juice to the alternator. after a while the clicking will stop because the battery is dead.
if its clicking all the time then the battery is ok and the alternator is ok, but gas is not getting into the engine to turn it over.

so yea, I would say fuel pump. Get something high end, so you dont have to upgrade it later if you decide to get a super charger or something ;)

I'm having trouble parsing your post.

You don't need fuel to turn over, you need it to run once it's turning.

The battery not supplying enough power to the alternator? Do you mean for excitation? That would lead to the battery not charging, but not these symptoms.

If the starter is giving you a bunch of rapid clicks, that's from not having enough current to operate the starter all the way. It's got nothing to do with the alternator, or the fuel system. In my car (which is not a Ford, admittedly) it's due to a crappy battery terminal that I need to wiggle every so often. Since Ford uses an external solenoid for starting, maybe something is going on there if the wiring is all good. I have no idea why sitting with the key "on" for a bit would cause it to work.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Twerk from Home posted:

That was a while back, I'd say that fox bodies in good shape are at least holding their value from here on out for sure.

Seems like that was 10 years ago, yeah. Clean five-ohs are like $4-5k now, and I don't see them getting any cheaper.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Thirding this, they're starting to climb since so many have been treated so poorly by now. It probably helps that unlike the thirdgen Camaro, the Fox is easier to make faster because it's so much lighter.

Built ford tough, with chevy stuff!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
:smithicide: I believe is what you want

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

coolskillrex remix posted:

The number one most important upgrade if you have a mustang gt is gears

Unless you already have 3.73s or deeper, that's the first place I'd look. I'm not sure what you've got already, though.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Habibus posted:

Bama V2 tune

Aren't these the assholes who disable the knock sensors because "ehhhh you don't need 'em" and singlehandedly got Ford to stop honoring warranty on cars with a tune?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

El Scotch posted:

Dear Ford, you're under-using your lovely V8's - please build a 4-door Mustang.

Thanks.

Yes, bring back the Falcon. :allears:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

PT6A posted:

Is that even a 4-door? Are those even sold here? (both honest questions I don't know the answer to, because this car has literally never been advertised here)

I think I saw one just today. Front was all dolled up in full Holden garb, but the trunk lid said "SS". My first thought was G8 GT, but it looked too new for that, and the trunk emblem suggested otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
There is no way that's stock. Did the V6 even have dual exhaust from the factory?