Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

iostream.h posted:

Basically exactly what I did to my Strat with a purple, blue and red Lace Sensor set (in order of your list).

Added a blend knob for the bridge/neck so I can roll them in or out as desired too.

That is definitely something I will considered. Just wondering how much the purple really sounds like a P90 in the neck or bridge. For some reason I thought Lace Sensors were pretty expensive, but new they are about $70 each. Finding them used seems to be more difficult that you would expect, but when you can, it seems like you can get them for $40 or less. Not bad at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Smash it Smash hit posted:

yeah cause you'll get a good guitar and then be like, well now I need a good guitar of the other variety! ( single coil vs humbucker) then there are p90s...

Then you are like... "this is like the other one, but the pickups are more vintage, while this one is more modern." Then next is "yeah... i have that one, but its not in this awesome color."

And before you know it you have like 10 strats that are just slight variations of one another.

I currently own 6 guitars. 3 of which I almost never use (although I am trying to sell two of them) and I still feel like I look at used guitars on Craig's List or reverb almost once a day. If you are like me, I don't think you ever feel like you don't need another guitar. Thankfully I don't have the same problem with Amps. Amplitude pretty much takes care of all my needs at the moment. I am sure its even worse for people who are tone seeking or whatever it is they do with a million tube amps.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

I got a used CV Strat a few months back. When I got it the action was super high, but I didn't really mind at first. But the more I play it the more its starting to bother me. However, the saddle height for both E strings has been reduced pretty much all the way down. So this likely means that it is a problem with the neck relief or the neck requires a shim. I have a huge feeling it the neck relieve because putting a capo on the first fret and then fretting on the 21st fret seems like a noticeable gap. From What I understand, its suppose to be pretty paper thin. I then checked the truss rod and there didn't seem to be any resistance in either direction when twisting it.

I read online that straitening out the neck requires clockwise turns of the truss rod. That seems counter intuitive, but I guess it just has to do with the way the threads are?

At any rate, I turned the truss rod a few times (little bit at a time) in that direction and finally the screw seemed to tighten a bit. Felt more like the resistance I was expecting from my other guitars. I have a feeling this means that one of the previous owners someone loosened the truss rod. I know everyone says go slow with them, not more than a 1/4 turn at a time, but what is a good time to wait between adjustments? 5 minutes? 10 minutes? An hour? Overnight?

Unfortunately, I don't really have anything that can reliably measure something as small as a tenth of an inch and I haven't done much work with truss rods, but it seems like something I should be able to fix on my own with enough patience and tinkering. Also, is it worth getting one of those action tools for this, or a long straight edge?

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Unfortunately I think I actually managed to clean up after I put new strings on my other guitar. I hear playing cards work too. But I am not sure I have any. Maybe a business card? Probably too thick.

Might just spring for some gauges.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

epoch. posted:

If you already have a good amp or solid amp tone, generally speaking, I think you're best off getting a line6 m5/9/13. I have an m9 and what I like about it is that it only models pedals. Not amps or cabs. Most MEs model amps and cabs and when you put that in front of an already-good sounding tube amp you get a weird mess.

The dirt models are only "good" but the delays and verbs are faaaantastic.

I have a Peavey Classic 30. Great amp. Stays very clean even with tons of volume. Can be super loud. Has a dirt channel that honestly starts too loud to even use in my apartment. I figured that if I ever want to gig (not anytime soon), I would go this route and pick up a used M13 and a couple expression pedals. Sounds like it is the way to go. A lot easier than trying to somehow use Amplitube 3. Everyone seems to recommend against trying to use Amplitube live. Almost wish I had invested the same amount of money in an Eleven Rack just because of the built in portability of it. But I think I got both Amplitube 2 and 3 when they first came out. Don't think Eleven Rack was a thing back then. Or at least not well known.

However, the Peavey has a horrible hum that I would probably need to get serviced if I wanted to get serious about gigging. Stupid tube amps.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Give it a try. Have fun. I never soldered before and managed to completely wire a strat with a p90 and humbucker over the course of a couple days.

You are unlikely to hurt anything except maybe the pots by overheating them (not likely but easy and cheap to fix if you do). On the plus side you will likely get the IKEA effect and you will love the LP even more.

On the downside, depending on your Agile model and amp situation, you may not notice much difference.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

Yeah, the Agiles are totally solid unless you custom order a hollow or chambered one. It's great for people who believe in fairytales about tonewood but my dauntless loving murders my back

Yeah. I got rid of mine. It just killed my shoulder. I'm sure it would have effected my back if I used it longer. The limited upper fret access bothered me as well, but in the end it was all about the weight. Think my Agile was 10 lbs. I love the way LPs look, but I just don't think they are meant for me.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Sockington posted:

Got everything back together and it all works well. :peanut:

There is nothing about this that isn't amazing. I find it funny that the guitar started out life as a Xaviere guitar and now, I assume, contains no parts from the original. What did you do with all the old pieces? And I have a feeling you mentioned this, but what pickups did you go for?

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

unlawfulsoup posted:

I am installing a pair of Artec GVH humbuckers in my AL-2000 and they are designed for coil tap. I have no drat interest in that jibber jabber, so I just installed the standard wires. This leaves two that sodder together and the 5th mystery freaking wire that no one (including the freaking diagrams) ever mentions but apparently is another ground if you coil tap. Do I have to ground that too if I don't coil tap? Coil tap COIL TAP TAP TAP TAP. Sorry working in the small confines of a LP style guitar with the worlds shittiest soldering iron is getting to me. Also, thank you Artec for using the smallest freaking wires known to mankind

Is it a humbucker that is meant for both coil splitting and coil tapping? I had always wondered why no one seem to do it, but I never heard of it actually being done. I just assumed it would either be difficult to construct or not a useful feature. I am guessing Artec can't be the only one to do this. They don't seem like the innovative types.

Now that I think about it, wouldn't coil tapping require two extra wires? One for the negative from the upper coil and one for the positive from the lower coil. Maybe its not what I originally thought.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

GFS just added two new Slick guitars to their lineup. They are pretty much just relic'd teles and strats, which also seems to take away most of their charm honestly. They have all the standard parts such as the bridge, pickups, pickguard, etc from a normal fender one, unlike the old ones, which were rear routed.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

As much as the Slick logo looks bad, they do seem to have some of the better fake fender headstocks. Guess you could always "roadworn" away the logo.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

I haven't always been super positive on EVH but this a very good standard on most guitar things

Anyway aside from the Slicks what other cheap strat style fixed bridge single hb guitars are around? I'm really considering one as a fun project guitar or just a random shredder.

e: really though I should man up and build one

Most I have come across seem to include a Floyd Rose to emulate the whole EVH thing. The only one I know of is the Hello Kitty Strat. You could probably just deck/block an HSS strat with a standard tremolo and change the pickguard. Or get the Avril Lavigne signature telecaster! Don't know why single pickup, single volume knob, strat guitars are "girl" guitars.

But even Jimi played one, so they can't be that bad.

(Not my image. Just randomly found it.)

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

pointlessone posted:

I finally got around to putting that trem on my GFS guitar. Any tips on filling the posts from the old stoptail, or should I even worry about it?

You don't by any chance know how much that weighs do you? I am considering LPs below the 8 lb range, assuming something like that even exists. I am also undecided on a P90 or bucker version. However, I would probably just go humbucker because you can always find a decent p90 in a humbucker housing, where as the reverse is more difficult.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

pointlessone posted:

It's about 7-ish pounds, it's just a touch lighter than my Tele. The semi-hollow body really makes a difference on the weight, a buddy of mine has an actual Gibson solid body from the 80s and that thing weighs about 4 million pounds. No idea how he can stand playing the thing for long periods, it makes my shoulder ache after about a half hour.

Nice. I will have to consider it. I take it the 7ish lbs is before the bigsby. I'm sure that added anther bit of weight.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

fullroundaction posted:

Saw a dude on YouTube take the screws out of his humbuckers (but leave the pole pieces in) and his Gibson Flying V magically sounded like a Tele, but with noise canceling.

This is probably common but holy poo poo is that a stupid simple mod that sounds awesome

Was that Scott Grove? I find him annoying as hell. I watched a couple and his videos and youtube kept suggesting I watch more of them for ages.

At any rate, I tried that on a guitar with a jazz in the neck and didn't notice a bit of difference. But I don't have much of an ear for that thing, so maybe someone else may have a different experience.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

unlawfulsoup posted:

A socially stunted Beatles like band would be beyond hilarious.

If any of you were in NY area I would play with you guys, I bring keytar and unbelievably bad guitar playing ability. :dance:

Would this band also Skype in for concerts as well? No need to live out of a Bus!

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

I was just about to post this. I just got an email from Fender about it. I'm not really sure if I like it or not. Was never this biggest Tele fan to begin with, but I am sure it could grow on me the same way the Tele has in the last few months.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

Out of nowhere some blues appears:

This is pretty nice, sounds just as you'd want really, deep and rich :)

I really really want one of those, but I have neither the space or the need. How do you switch it to the third pup? Independent volume knob?

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

I was hoping to get some bluetooth or wireless headphones that I can plug into my amp so I can play at night. My current wired headphones are falling apart and I hate the wire getting in the way of playing. I am not concerned with super high audio quality, but am trying to keep my budget below $100 if possible. Anyone have a set up like this? Any suggestions for a set of headphones?

I would probably prefer over-ear type as apposed to in-ear, but I am open to suggestions.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Wengy posted:

Yeah, the original bridge was / is poo poo and the fact that you can accidentally 'turn off' the guitar is pretty insane (why did Leo think these three weird switches were better than a traditional pickup switch???). Still, I think people underrate the versatility of these guitars and exaggerate their quirkiness (I have a Kirn Jazzmaster too, I love offsets, sue me) - they just feel awesome. If Hendrix had picked up a Jag instead of a Strat...

Hendrix played jazzmasters long before the strat, and he seemed to have at least played live on a jag as early as '68.

Hendrix had access to just about every contemporary guitar and there are pictures of him using just about all of them. For whatever reason, strat were always his primary guitar. Probably because he felt he could get the most out of strat trems. But his thoughts and preferences are nothing more than myth and legend now.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

I see those all the time on craig's list, ebay, and reverb. Considering getting one down the line (this is probably a true statement for about 90% of guitars). Can't comment on quality, but I feel like that is the lowest price I have seen them go for. Usually see them listed between $500 and $600. Sounds like a good deal to me, got a Gibson for the price of an Epiphone G-400.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

I did all the electronics from scratch on my main strat. It is really basic wiring though (even less so than most strats). It is a p90 neck and humbucker bridge with a telecaster 3 way switch and 1 volume and 1 tone. I had a feeling I would mess up something more complicated for my first time. It was a lot of fun and I think it was worth it as a first project. Tinkering with the electronics on one of your less expensive guitars seems like something everyone who is into guitars should at least try.

That being said, I may have wired them out of phase by mistake. Middle position seems to come with a noticeable volume drop. Maybe when I change strings next time.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

fullroundaction posted:

That Polaris white SG is pretty great. I've always hated that body shape for some reason but I've actually found that SGs tend to be my favorite Gibson guitars when I'm actually playing them and not just staring at them.

Uncovered pickups on them though... now you're just triggering me.

I hated the way they looked for years. In the last few months that has somehow switched to absolutely wanted one right now. Seeing Gary Clark Jr. play one for pretty much his entire set last night did not help. Nor did the fact that he plays the type of music I play.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Shugojin posted:

Also, today I learned that DiMarzio has a patent on sticking a bit of plastic into a clear box at an angle to turn it into a nice merchandise display box. If you look at a DiMarzio pickup box from the side and it lists a patent number, that's literally what the patent is.

Pretty sure they have a trademark or copyright on the initials PAF. Which is kind of funny considering it's a common abbreviation for someone else's patent.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Spanish Manlove posted:

The strat pile will never not be funny.

I love how he treats them like Christmas cards.

"This one was given to me by Stevie Vai. Hell of a guy!" *toss guitar back in pile*

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

I was holding one of these tonight, the headstock had been snapped clean off, but it was exactly this model, had Les Paul Custom on the truss rod cover and everything!

This is what I got upto tonight, AC30 at full bore with my Dirty Fingers bridge pickup in the 65 Mustang, fuuuuuckkkkk!
It just sounds like the real deal, very very fun.

This guitar looks loving amazing. I wants it bad. Those sound like some really nice pickups. I'm big into the blues(dad) as well, but prefer more of the heavily overdrive blues. I'm sure that beast would be perfect for it.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

The Dirty Fingers just blast the valves in the AC30 so you get this mammoth overdrive but every single note in a chord still rings out.
I'll try recording it on my phone tomorrow, not sure how it will turn out though cos the Vox really comes to life when it's very loud.
I love this guitar, it's just a little bastard ha ha

That sounds litterally amazing. Never played a real AC30 but I love the overdriven AC30 on amplitube. It is my go to model for moderate drive. Almost don't even bother going clean with how good it sounds.

I am suddenly looking really hard at getting a mustang. Was getting rid of a few guitars and originally thinking of replacing one of them with an SG.

What do you think of the tremolo? Is it possible to put the string tension in a way that it is similar to a strat "decked" trem? Going only into a dive and more stable tuning? Is that even a concern?

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

^^ Never use my one FR guitar, but I used my strat trem MIM strat all the time. Ever since I decked the trem is stays in tune well and lets me change tunings with ease. The CV strat came decked with 4 springs and without the trem bar, so decked it stays.

I have a pile of strats in my home recording studio that are meaningless to me. One is from the first ever run of strats in the 50s. This one here was a gift from Stevie Vai. Hell of a guy!

But seriously, 7:
*MIM Strat that I "routed" with a chisel to make HH, but right now has a hum sized P90 in the neck and humbucker in the bridge. First ever guitar and I love it to death.
*CV 50's strat with a maple fingerboard I got in a trade. Thinking of upgrading this to a MIA strat. But I should probably save my money and just upgrade this one.
*Blacktop Jaguar. Not too fond of the color (silver), but I like 24" scale and much prefer it over an LP. Not sure if I want to keep it, upgrade it, or trade it out for a Mustang or better Jag (I know neither were meant to be humbuckers, but I seem to like unorthodox pickups for guitars)
*Schecter C-1 Classic. Has a neck blemish that causes the high e 12th fret to make a weird buzzing noises that comes and goes no mater how you set up the guitar. Trying to get rid of it and get as much as I can out of it. Would probably replace with an SG.
*Agile 7 string with FR and Active EMGs. I got this guitar on a whim and didn't really know where my music would take me. Reget getting it. Selling.
*Black Yamaha FG720 (or possibly 730) acoustic. Don't play it much, but its not going anywhere.
*My wife's Fender Acoustic she hasn't touched in about 10 years, but feels guilty her parents bought it for here, so there it sits.

Amps:
*Peavey Classic 30. Too loud for my apartment, but I am starting to use it more.
*Vox DA-5. Nice little practice amp. Can get surprisingly loud and the models are alright to mess around with.
*Amplitube to mess around with amps and effects I do not own.

Gripen5 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 7, 2016

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Barnyard Protein posted:

I put flat wound jazz lights on the rondo-tele-clone to make it easier on my delicate fingers for finger-stylin'. The bases feel better against my thumbmeat, but the trebles still tear up my nails to the point that I can hear it on the classical. I guess I'll shelf the idea of fingerstyling electric and learn to pick!

Could be mistaken, but with steel strings I believe you are encouraged to use the pads of your fingers instead of the nails, lest you might break your nails. Or maybe you could just use an actual nail as a pick. Cause that sounds totally metal!

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

I actually meant the type of nail your drive in with a hammer. The rustier the better.

Edit: I need an editor.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Anyone have any thoughts on pedal board signal cables. I only need 2 or 3 of them. I figured instrument cables are all about the same, but I found a few 3 packs on amazon, but they both have weird reviews about them not even fitting normal 1/4" jacks.

Are planet waves considered ok? I recognized the name but there were more than a few reviews saying that the plug was too long.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

havelock posted:

Monoprice has good cheap instrument cables. They've all been fine for me.

Thanks for the heads up. They seem like the right price. Out of curiosity, the difference between these two is that the second one is for stereo? So the first one would be better for pedals, or does it not really matter because a stereo works the same when plugged into a mono socket?

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9780

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=601100

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

havelock posted:

TS is mono and TRS is stereo, yes.

Buy the mono cables for instruments and pedals.

Ok. That is good to know. Thanks a lot!

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

After The War posted:

This is true not only because mono cables will be cheaper, but a stereo plug will prevent most pedals from turning on - the switching jack (which keeps the battery from draining if there isn't anything plugged into the input) gets fooled into thinking there's nothing there. :eng101:

Oddly the stereo cable is $0.02 cheaper per cable. But this is all good stuff to know.

I am trying to find a cheap 2 button footswitch that works with the Amplitube stealth pedal (the one designed for it is long since been discontinued) and it seems to require a stereo cable with non-latching buttons. Doesn't seem to be any particularly cheap options outside of building my own box. There are a LOT of two button switches out there for amps, but most of them either are either latching or do not indicate if they are latching/non-latching. But Boss makes a pedal that can be latching or non-latching and can be used with either with two mono cables or a single stereo cable in the $60 range. Will probably go with that when I have some money to spend.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

NonzeroCircle posted:

Can anyone recommend me a cheap-ish midi foot controller for Amplitube? Their old board is discontinued (despite being perfect for what I need) and all they do now is the Stealth or Bluetooth iShit. The Stealth isn't reall what I'm after and I already have an interface I'm happy with.

I already have an expression pedal hooked up to my midi keyboard, what I'm looking for is something small with 4-8 footswitches so I can turn effects on and off and change channels on amps- I tend to stick to one amp model and flick between clean/dirty channels.

As I'm moving in the next few months and will be hopefully going back to an actual amp because I'll have space I don't want anything too huge or expensive. Would the Line 6 FBV Express work or is that POD specific as that is around my price and not the size of the Ark?

I've been looking for the same thing for a while and it seems like most of the possibilities are expensive or have drawbacks. There are only two budget options that I know of (outside of the stealth pedal plus 2 button extension, which you didn't want). The first is the Behringer FC1010 looks great on paper and is only about $150 new, but requires an upgraded firmware (which are 3rd party and you must purchase pre-installed on a chip, because you can't just update the existing chip) to get it working with Amplitube and would require a MIDI to USB connection of some kind to use on the computer. A lot of people like it, but it sounds like it takes a lot of additional time and money to get it working how you want it to.

The second option you is, as you mentioned, the Line 6 FBV Shortboard. From what I understand, only the Mk II line has a USB output to your computer, allowing you to use it in conjunction with Amplitube. So either the FBV Express Mk II or the FBV Shortboard Mk II. The original FBV pedals can only be connected to Line 6 equipment via a cat5 cable. I should mention that their is no normal MIDI output for theses boards, so you can't use it with most MIDI equipment (maybe it can be done through some sort of interface? I am not very familiar with MIDI equipment). And of course both pedals will require some time messing around with them to get them to work like you would want with Amplitube. I will probably just bite the bullet and get one of these two. I don't think I have the patience for the FCB1010. There are sometimes good deals that pop up on reverb, just make sure it is the Mk II.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

NonzeroCircle posted:

Thanks Gripen, the FBV mk2 sounds like what I'll get: I'm not too fussed about actual midi, just USB is fine with me as its only really for dicking around at home with

Cool. Just keep in mind that I haven't done any of this myself, it is just what I have found out from casual research. If you do pull the trigger, let us know how it works out. I doubt I am the only one around here who messes with Amplitube (and other programs like it).

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

comes along bort posted:

What? That's stupid. Make a bend before the post hole, and another one facing upward on the other end then tighten and tune like normal. None of this loop business.

Seriously this. If you kink the string on either side of the hole, you can hold the instrument up by the string before you even start winding. Once the strings are tuned to pitch (the strings barely need to be stretched either), It pretty much never goes out of tune. I won't make the leap to say they are better than vintage, but I definitely find them easier to restring, especially for the non-wound strings.

I will say that vintage not having a little bit of string sticking out even after clipping is definitely a plus.

I don't have locking tuners on any of my guitars, but I am sure I would prefer those if I did. I sometimes feeling like I change strings less often than I should just because I expect it to be a pain in the butt. Its really not, but...

:effort:

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm not a huge gear slut, but I appreciate gorgeous instruments and atrisanry so I do stuff like watch StewMac vids and follow some stuff on facebook. Electric Guitar Company recently posted a work in progress and it's getting me a little hot under the collar

Pretty sweet looking guitar, but how the heck does the neck attach on this body? It has a very nontraditional neck pocket. Definitely doesn't attach like a normal JM/strat/tele neck.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

I don't know if this is old news, but I just saw on Fender's twitter that they have a new line of Mustangs and Duo-sonics. For better or worse they all have string through hard tails and the LP style 3-way switches. I really really want to like them, but no individual model is quite what I want. I like the HS duo-sonic, but I am not so sure about a 5" radius fingerboard, I have never played anything smaller than Fender's modern 9.5" board. I kinda like the Mustang P90. Not the biggest fan of the larger Fender headstock or the color options, but not a huge deal.

Not sure if I do, or do not like the lack of a tremolo. Probably for the best though. Just makes everything simpler.

http://shop.fender.com/en-US/duo-sonic-mustang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Sockington posted:

I've got the Fender version of that.

Must say this is pretty sweet. I have something similar that I used a chisel to rout for a humbucker in the neck. Ended up putting a hum-sized p90 like those instead. Have a bucker in the bridge and have 1 tone and 1 volume. Thinking of changing out the bridge pickup to a p90 the same way as that.