Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I'm not sure where to ask, but is is there anything like Backloggery, but for books?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Is there a good place to buy posters, pictures or wall art in general online? Preferably shipping (free or cheap) to Canada. Amazon.ca doesn't have a good selection.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I'm looking to clean my oven (no self clean) and I'm wondering what works best. Google is only giving me "how to clean your oven without poisonous, earth destroying chemicals" which is baking soda and elbow grease. I don't really care what I use, and would like to eliminate the elbow grease, or the waiting if I can manage it. What works well? Some sort of degreaser? Tsp?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Xibanya posted:

My fiance has a beautiful old slide rule that his grandfather used in the early 50s. My fiance is also an engineer and the slide rule is very special to him. We think it's a shame that it's currently sitting in its case in a drawer. What's an attractive way to display the slide rule as part of the decor? My first idea was hanging it on hooks on the wall, but that seems a bit spartan, even for an engineer's home. Ideas?

I'd probably go with a shadow box of some sort. OctoberBlues' idea sounds great, too.

I'd probably also set the slide rule to something important to your grandfather, if there's any particular neat proofs or whatever you can show easily with a slide rule. I think e is particularly graceful on a slide rule but its been a long, long time since I've played with one.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Bioshuffle posted:

Help me settle a debate. If your house was struck by lightning, and you were using your phone while it was plugged in to the charger, would you get electrocuted?

No.
Lightning takes the least resistance path to ground. Houses are grounded so that there's a nice low resistance path between lightning (or a short from your electrical system) and ground. There's a huge number of paths to ground that it'll take before it chooses the path with you and your phone in it, even if you have the worst wired house and electrical grid.
If it did make it inside to your phone charger it'd melt and smell real bad from the insulation and probably burn you.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Is there still an entry-level job advice thread somewhere on the forums? I looked though BFC and either I'm blind or its in another subforum.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Zenostein posted:

Well the new cord does have a temperature knob, so based on the above, the knob regulates the voltage that gets fed into the element, right? So basically, I just shouldn't turn it up terribly high and can't really rely on the temperature markings on the controller, I guess?

Or if I can scare up a voltmeter, I could probably map the approximate temperatures myself? Like, assume the maximum temperature is n00º, that would be ~1250W, algebra out the voltage required, and then see what setting on the controller gives me that voltage. Something like that, maybe? Or is all the resistance/voltage control meant to be done in the controller, rather than the element?

In any event, the likely result of running it at full on the controller is just burning out the heating element?

A cord rated for a higher wattage is rated for a higher current in its cable. The original was drawing ~10A (1250W/120V) and the newer cable can do ~13A (1550W/120V) so you only really need to be careful in that upper range where the stove is not rated for >10A. All that means is that the company is not liable for you running it at higher than expected amperage if you end up burning your house down. :v:

You can map out temperature/voltage relations if you really want, but just don't run it on full blast. The new cord's temperature markings are likely just bullshit anyways, even if it was matched with the appropriate heater.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Dawncloack posted:

I have a shape on a .jpg and I would like to import it, to scale, into Eagle, the circuit designer.

What's the easiest way ?

Thanks! :)

I used this last time I imported an image into eagle. Works pretty well for simple blocky images, can have a lot of issues if you have anything remotely complicated.

I don't think there's a way to do it without converting to *.bmp first, though I only used the newest version of eagle for about an hour.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Cheaper cables use cheaper copper with more impurities, and thus lower conductivity. Solder joints are dry or just poorly done. Overall cable is less conductive and sometimes changes with the cable moving around. Your iPod doesn't like the variable power due to the variable resistance, so it charges slower.

There's a big range of what cables will pass QC and also last long enough to charge your iPod more than 2 times at that quality.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

tuyop posted:

Hey excel wizards, I have a question about making a crappy implementation tolerable:

So every day here we have to track how many gewgaws we give each client. So like, client a takes a gewgaw on Monday and Wednesday, client b takes one on Tuesday.

We currently have a spreadsheet with like client a and client b in column a then dates from columns b-ak. Then we just total at the end with a sum function.

The problem is that we have like 200 clients a month and it becomes unwieldy to figure out on like day 24 whether a client is new and then add more gewgaws to their tab. We also don't have MS Access or any other DB software.

Is there any way in excel or any other program to like check to see if a client is currently in the sheet and add to their tab if so and create a new entry if not?

You can just Ctrl+f search for anything in a spreadsheet if you only have to occasionally find/add a client. You can also use pivot tables to sum up your client list in various ways. You also use conditional highlighting to make any duplicates red.

To add a new entry you'd either have to do it manually, or write a VBA script. Its not too hard to make a weird-excel flavored DB thing if you're willing to spend some time figuring out VBA.

(There's also an excel thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3132163 if you need more wizardry)

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I would regularly eat cream of mushroom soup from one of my favorite coffee shops, though I'd never eat it from a can unless I'm very hungry and too lazy to go to a 24hr McDonald's. I think the canned cream of soups are almost always made into a sauce/casserole.

Real cream of mushroom is awesome, actually. But cream, salt and umami is generally great.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

For whatever reason tumblr wants some (all?) blogs to open up in their stupid side-bar on the dashboard. I'm logged in and it's redirecting to the tumblr dashboard and opening the post (dog??) in the awful sidebar instead of a regular blog.

Dunno what the fix it, but its probably blog dependent, or just tumblr incompetence.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

If you don't care what blog you link from, here's a link that works for me in incognito mode: http://xhellllosabrinax.tumblr.com/post/143255123346/natty-fit-this-is-so-cute-omg-i-cant

Tumblr is a garbage website but I want to at least let your friends see a cute dog video. Can't help you for general browsing, though.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

There's also the case of the manufacturer choosing one or the other based upon: the preference of the marketing guy, whatever makes the battery look better, or just because they felt like designing to a round number in one unit and not the other.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Last time I flew, on my return trip I had two pairs of winter boots, a winter coat, and some literal rocks in my checked bag, on top of my regular two weeks of clothing, and only hit 40lbs. Though that said, one of the people at the scale told me that a pair of jeans tends towards 1-2lbs so don't pack more than 20 pairs of jeans I guess??

All the airports I've been in also had luggage scales right at the entrance so you can always shuffle cargo.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Methanar posted:

I'm a Canadian that will be travelling to the US in 3 weeks for business by air for 5 days.

Where exactly do I get a B1/2 visa? I've been googling for like an hour but I don't see any real answer.

I went from Canada to the US for 4 days for business reasons and all I needed was a valid passport.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

A PIN is harder to guess than a signature is to forge? I'm sure there's more to it than just that, but that's probably one of the main reasons.

I don't really feel like they're new anymore, Canada's pretty much completely adopted them and the last time I had to swipe/sign with my credit card I was in Florida and it really caught me off guard.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I've found the second most common issue with cable jacks not working is gunk in the receptacle. Take a look with a good flashlight and see if you need to clean it out with a toothpick or alcohol.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

dokmo posted:

What animal makes tracks that look like this
code:
: - -
Lake Ontario region.

Galloping rabbit, I think.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I've used lipsyl on my eyelids, though I didn't regularly use them on both. I find the waxyness helps with not losing too much moisture. Its kind of also just nice to apply it.
I use my regular face moisturizer when I go to bed, if I have really bad dry eyes. Anything unscented/gentle is usually ok. I only do it before sleeping otherwise I'd rub it in my eyeballs and that sucks a whole lot.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Deep woods OFF? I found that if you have actual DEET you're fine, everything else is barely better than just yelling at the bugs. Go to a hunting store and ask about the little tubes of DEET paste, maybe?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

It wasn't until my mother was diagnosed with Grave's Disease and had the Radioactive thyroid ablation to treat it, that I was able to convince a doctor to check more than just TSH. I got T3/T4 and the antibodies after that, diagnosed with mild hypothyroidism that could turn into Hashimoto's, and took synthroid and now my sleep is a million times better and my brain problems are significantly reduced. Its nuts.

Hope your surgery goes well, I'm glad I didn't have anything show up on my thyroid ultrasound except just the general puffiness from hypothyroid.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

beeaar posted:

Please tell me what you've learned from reading Animorphs books.

A lot about what it might be like to eat cigarette butts.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Comrade Milton posted:

Okay, I've checked Google, Bing, DDR, videos, images, web, and lots of sites themselves. What I'm searching for is sheet music for Jurassic Park where you can hear what sounds like jingling, but is actually someone uses concert bells (NOT hand bells, this is a metal, keyboard-layout percussion instrument). If you see it and my memory of playing it from high school isn't faulty it's mostly notes in 1/64th. The YT is right where it begins and you have to listen kind of closely, but it's there and I wanted the sheet music for it. It may be mislabeled "Enter the Park" or something, but I believe it's in the main theme.

Any help?

The instrument is often called a glockenspiel if that helps your Googles with a more unique term.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I've worn prescription glasses since I was 3, and when I had contacts I'd leave my sunglasses on by accident because I was so accustomed to wearing glasses 100% of the time I was awake.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

brylcreem posted:

So, ElectroBOOM on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/msadaghd

How much of his videos are fake? I mean, he does seem pretty competent when he's writing down circuit diagrams and building stuff, but then there are all the accidents and mishaps.

There's no question that his views (and money) depend on his "accidents", so he must arrange for them to happen.

Can anyone who knows more about electricity than me, tell me if he seems to "make" his accidents in a way that is still safe for him, or is it just continuous luck?

I'd probably say a lot of his accidents are arranged, especially since he touches things you''d just... not touch unless you want to zap yourself. I think he often finds bad electrolytic capacitors (they explode but aren't super dangerous) and wires things backwards on purpose occasionally to have something catch fire. I think he had a couple videos where he went to far and almost really fried himself and he's dialed it down a bit (the jacob's ladder episode?) but for the most part you could avoid just about everything.

I used to have classmates in my circuits classes in university set up their breadboards to blow up capacitors and its very easy, smells like hot acetone and only really pisses off the lab techs who have to go and order a bunch of caps now.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Does Google voice's number porting work for Canada? I want to get a local number for job hunting reasons but I don't want to change my number yet.

E: or do I just get a google voice number and just put the app on my phone?

Jyrraeth fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 29, 2017

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I used to have a friend who wouldn't answer calls without a number, but would block hers so we would always miss hers thinking it was a Telemarketer. No texts, either.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

DXM makes me throw up even on the child's dosage, and so does most of my family. The perfect thing to augment a cough, :(

I imagine that's why the dose is so low

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Lawnie posted:

Is it a taste thing? If so, they might sell DXM in pill form near you.

I recommend you take the entire bottle at once and drink some orange/grapefruit juice to wash it down. You’ll forget about your cough while you trip balls to psychedelic music of your choice for 4-6 hours in the dark.

Edit: since this is a place for real questions and real advice: do not take the entire bottle. It is bad for your brain, probably.

Tried the pills, too. Codeine makes me throw up, too (which is super common according to all the nurses I know). Allergic to Oranges (and pineapple) so your recommendation is extra bad for me :v:

I'm not the original question-asker, though, I get sick rarely enough that I can tolerate the occasional death cough once every couple of years

I think DXM is a precursor to an SSRI? Maybe Paxil? Wikipedia says it has some Seritonin functions so they probably made something out of it that would be bad for your brain AND your liver

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Methanar posted:

My guy just attempted to set up an antenna, but complained it didn't work. This guy gives me the vibes of not knowing what he was doing, so he probably just did it wrong.
Maybe I'll go and try getting his antenna to work.

It's unreal how bad all of the online services for this type of thing are.

TV fool does Canada to see where the transmitters are. Sometimes they're not where you think they are.

Also I had a TV old enough to not be able to receive digital OTA TV, and could only get French CBC until I got a TV from this century.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

In my ~*~ barista training ~*~ I was told that caffeine was destroyed by heat, so darker roasts were actually less caffeinated, while the lightest roasts were more caffeinated.

Someone should make the equivalent of a pH test strip but for caffeine concentration. Doubt it'd work so well, but would be neat if it was possible

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Most apartments I’ve stayed at have charged a ~$20 fee for each dead lightbulb when you move out. If you make a service request the day before you move out they’ll come replace them for free, but if they’re dead when you leave you have to pay.

What happens if they're not dead, just empty sockets? Sorry I got halfway through changing it, don't charge me :v:

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

You can get "Warm White" ones that are reasonably warm. They're way brighter than incandescent, even when you choose a lumen value close to the equivalent of a 40W bulb. Still not super harsh, though.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Goldfinch posted:

I'll second this question... I've searched in my area, and all I can find are ballet/jazz dance classes for kids. If there isn't a thread, is there anyone in this thread with hot tips on how to actually get started, or is the answer just "move to a bigger city that actually has dance lessons for adults"?

Sometimes you can ask the studios where they give children's lessons and you might be able to see if there's an unlisted adult course? I've known a couple dance instructors and they were able to give a couple one-off lessons in their spare time between school courses, but that might just be them.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

ineptmule posted:

I have a friend who wants to get into using LEDs in a scale modelling project. It's his birthday, and I wanted to get him a kit or bunch of bits with which to experiment with this kind of thing. Looking on Amazon, however, I am bewildered the stuff that comes up. I assumed there would be a hobbyists' starter set or something like that.

Can anyone recommend a source to go and learn about this stuff, or a supplier brand that does starter type sets?

Some electronics stores have a hobby kit section, or just small bags of resistors/LEDs/switches. They're way more expensive (meaning you'd pay $5 per little bag, vs something measured in cents in bulk) than ebay or even Digikey but they have the bonus of being able to ask the dude in the store what you'd need.

If you want to go the Ebay/Digikey route you'd need LEDs, appropriately sized resistors, and a power source of some sort. Here's a calculator from Digikey

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

My experience with Allo is that my brother sent me all of it's most horrifying emotes and then I uninstalled it.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Is there a YouTube channel that explains things like what a set screw is, and what is used for? Those various machining/milwright-y things?

Even if it's just uploads for a show similar to this old house, that works too.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Is there a website to track airplane flight patterns over an area?

I don't need it to be live, I just want to see generally where they fly, over a specific area.

I want to look at cities and see where planes fly over residential areas.

Dunno if they do the heat map style "this many airplanes fly over this area" type things, but I love watching flightradar24 when I'm hanging out looking at the sky.

E: forgot about the times we live in lmao live maps are kind of useless lately

Jyrraeth fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Can anyone point me towards easy ways to watch a movie with friends? I think I missed the compilations of those sort of things at the beginning of the pandemic.

I don't plan on doing it too often, so I'm ok with doing things like pointing a webcam at the tv and using twitch but if I could do one level up from that.... And it's free......