Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Volume posted:

So there's a word I'm looking for but I can't find a way to google what it means to find it. I'm hoping one of you goons can help me.

Here we have a balancing scale with pans and slots along the arm. Each slot is numbered. Now the term I'm looking for is for an odd balancing trick. You put a weight on slot ten on the left arm. And then you put some weight on the right arm but you spread it out on a few slots. Say 3, 5, and 6.

Now the weight on the left side does not equal the weight on the right side but because of how the weight is dispersed on the right side, the scale ends up balanced. Is there a word that describes this?

Equilibrium. The weight on one side may be greater than the weight on the other side, but the torques should cancel each other out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Brother Jonathan posted:

So "acting up" is the general term, and "acting out" is a specific kind of "acting up" by someone? That makes sense.
"Acting up" is rather physical, usually as a resistance to a command to be still or quiet down, or as a disruption. It also refers to ailments that can flare up, as mentioned above.

"Acting out" is carrying out a thought, be it disruptive (expressing feelings of anger in the form of arson or shooting sprees) or not (working through some mental/emotional issues or blocks).

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

drat Bananas posted:

If I transfer a photo from my iPhone to my computer, and it is sideways because of the way I held my phone when shooting, I rotate it in MSPaint and then save. Then when I go to upload it somewhere, it uploads sideways again. What gives?
You should click on an image and choose the preview option in the right-click menu, then go through all the images and rotate the ones you want. The changes will be saved when you move on to other pictures.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

So I go to a restaurant and ask for a coke. The server asks me if pepsi's ok? I say sure, because it doesn't make a big difference to me. Cola is cola as far as I'm concerned, and I don't have any particular brand loyalty to either. But it makes me wonder, does anyone care about this sort of thing? Have any goons been upset, or witnessed someone being upset when their soft drink of choice isn't available?

Restaurants often serve only one or the other, so ordering a Coke at a Sizzler, say, makes no sense to the clerk, as Sizzler only serves Pepsi products.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

randyest posted:

Maybe I'm desensitized (and I hate all anime) but that just looks like a cutified big-eye thing. Please don't tell me all big eye things are now anime :ohdear:
They're not, but anime eyes got their start from big cartoony American eyes from the '30s and '40s (Disney, specifically, as mentioned above).

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

VodeAndreas posted:

What relation to me are my great aunt's (grandmother's sister) children and grandchildren, instead of being uncles, aunts and cousins.

How do the terms change?

Her grandchildren are your second (-generation) cousins
Her children being first cousins to your mother or father, you are their first cousin once removed (and they are your first cousins once removed).

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Ras Het posted:

It's an obvious French loan. Something like "with sister", going back to Latin.

Yep, from consobrinus, consobrina (with son, daughter of mother's sister - with aunt's son, daughter)

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

b0nes posted:

How come whenever you apply for any government assistance or aid they want you to list the people that live with you in the house? Then they want their assets? The people I live with are not far off from the financial situation i'm in so I don't see how their incomes come into play. I get little to no support from them. I just live here.
The key word here is "support" - if there's someone you're living with who gives you some form of support (food, clothes, etc.), the government will want to know so it doesn't give you too much aid per month (or you may have to pay back the overpayment somewhere down the road). Once you do receive aid, the amount you get can change if someone moves in or moves out. The amount of rent you pay is also a factor in the amount of aid you get.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Wagonburner posted:

Edit: never mind I'll look all that up

New one: what does cherry blossom petal landed in lunch mean?

I don't have a clue, but I can lead you to the thread it's in (twisty on probation), and the reply to that line.

Lunch lay unattended in shade
Cherry blossom petal lands
Lonely in anime wonderland

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

alnilam posted:

What is the origin/meaning/point of the trend in clothing (especially shirts) to say "PROPERTY OF ______"?
The blank can be filled with:
the brand of clothing
a town
a university
an organization

It's by no means a new trend, but I've never understood it, and it even seems kind of hosed up to proudly wear a shirt saying you are property that belongs to Aeropostale, or Penn State.

some, um, examples

Does this come from something? Does "property" refer to the shirt, or the wearer, and either way, why?
From college football, where team shirts and jerseys often go missing. They mention the school and the wearer's shirt size (XXL being the overwhelming favorite). And like mentioned above, now it can be any affiliation (team or personal).

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

b0nes posted:

Is sharing of straws among friends socially acceptable? I was out with a few friends Saturday night. 2 of us ordered a drink that tasted terrible, and my friend was passing hers around telling people to try her drink. This isn't the first time I have noticed this and it honestly made me want to gag. I don't share any of my utensils. Maybe among people you know it is considered OK because we all knew each other pretty well but it isn't something I ever want to do.
In a way, yes. It's like passing the peace pipe (or the Communion cup) around. About the only thing one needs to do is wipe the business end of the straw clean before passing it on to the next person.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Fragrag posted:

So this (:nms: :nws: for slight blood, nothing bad) album of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev being arrested has been leaked or something. In two pictures, where Tsarnaev is leaving the boat and surrendering, there is a clear laser point on his forehead. I always thought laser beams were only a thing from movies, and aren't visible because that's just stupid. Or is this a case where the camera's CCD can pick up on the laser's wavelength, but the human eye can not?

Two words: laser pointers. They've been around for years, and kids often point them at movie screens or curtains Quite visible.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Ok, there has to be an easy solution to this problem I've having:

I'm on Windows 7, using Paint.NET.

I have a small image that I'd like to print several copies of, on one page, at it's actual size. Near as I can tell...Win 7 isn't letting me do that. It's "print" option seems to assume I'd love, love, LOVE to have it resize the image for me for common "photo" sizes. 4x6, wallet, etc...

But I don't want that, drat it! I want it the real size it is, in this case, 1.5x3 inches! I've only found two ways to get it to print the actual size, but none of them will allow multiple copies per page. I can either expand the canvas size in Paint.NET to 8.5x11, so Win 7's "full page" option is now the same size as my canvas, or print from MS Paint, and set the scaling to "100%" in print setup/

But both of those options just give me ONE copy per page. I know I can manually copy+paste multiple copies of the image in Paint.NET, but I won't get them lined up as perfectly as I would like, and as perfectly as a GOOD, FUNCTIONAL print option would. (I need to use a paper cutter to then cut them all out, so I need them to all be perfectly lines up in rows and columns.)

If you have MS Office, you can probably create a table in Word and paste the picture in one cell, then copy the cell to as many other cells as needed, hide the borders, and print.

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 20, 2013

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Kheldragar posted:

Does my avatar happen to be blinking in and out every few seconds for anyone else? It does this on my phone, but I don't have this problem when viewing the actual file or the forums from my computer.

This is normal for phones. Your avatar is an animated GIF, so slower computers and phones will see a break in the animated sequence every two seconds, because their CPUs are slower.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Ezzer posted:

Is a single set of "..." referred to as "an ellipsis" or is it more proper to use the plural "ellipses"?

Ellipsis. Two or more of these are "ellipses." And the ascii code for an ellipsis is, with Num Lock on, Alt+0133 - …

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Geokinesis posted:

How come on twitter hashtags got called hashtags?

As Twitter started in the US and over there the # it is (stupidly) called the 'pound sign' and not hash?
It's known by both terms, but "pound sign" is the term used on phones and numbered keypads.

Tiggum posted:

What does "uguu~" mean, where does it come from, how is it supposed to be pronounced and why does it have a tilde on the end?
It's a word used by a character in the anime "Kanon" The ~ is there to show that the second syllable "-guu" is long and drawn-out. It's an interjection used by that character, so it doesn't mean anything. It's one of her characteristics.

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 9, 2013

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

photomikey posted:

I am considering building a haunted house in my suburban driveway. Maybe 50' long by 8' or 10' wide. The structure is my biggest roadblock so far, 2x4s seem expensive and time consuming.

I was thinking of using 2" PVC, with the occasional crossmember for support. Then, covering this structure with black plastic sheeting, and going from there.

The structure will not bear much weight, and I'm not really concerned about stability. We have no wind to speak of (and really, no weather to speak of).

When putting this monstrosity together, if I use PVC cement - I will have to chop it up to re-use it next year. If I don't use PVC cement, i'm afraid it'll get jostled, and start falling apart on top of the people who are inside of it.

What can I use to temporarily affix these PVC pipes together?

Other suggestions are welcome, as are anecdotes regarding running one's own haunted house at home.

Couplings like these. Just tighten and loosen as desired.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

thrakkorzog posted:

Does Universal Studios in Hollywood still have the shark attack on the studio tour? I've tried to google it, but the info seems a bit contradictory.

As far as I know, yes, it's still part of the tour, but fire has been added to the experience (the dock is set aflame), and the tram no longer tilts when the shark pulls on the dock.

The one in Orlando has been gone for two years now.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Swimsuit models. I'd say it works both ways - men want to see toned-up and oiled women on magazine covers, women want to see toned-up and oiled men on magazine covers. Sex sells, or magazines wouldn't have these people on the covers.

Crankit posted:

I was thinking of stuff like wet look leggings or catwomans outfit.

That works too, heh.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

taco show posted:

What's the genre of the song 12 minutes in? I love it, and would like to hear more like it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpMCJxT6SbE

Being the intro to the next (doo wop) song, it's a falsetto a capella, which isn't a genre, heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

the posted:

Let's say I have 5 100mb movie files on a website.

A. It's faster to download each one at a time
B. It's faster to download them all at once
C. Both A and B take the same time

?
I choose B, so the download bandwidth is maximized (downloading just one file at a time may not use up all the bandwidth available to you)

Is there a song on which the main title for "A Million Ways To Die In The West" is based?

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jun 8, 2014