Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Wagonburner posted:

He's mainly wanting to dial in to US toll free conference bridge #s. I've got it installed for him now and he's logged in and going to be trying it out in a bit.

Skype costs $2.99 a month for unlimited calls to the US/Canada. You can sign him up for a month and then cancel it at the end.

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/prices/pay-monthly/?intcmp=ch2-subs15-main

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

OneEightHundred posted:

I set up a container with some water plants, but now it's full of mosquito larvae, so I want to put something in it that will eat them but also not die. This is in NC, so temperatures usually bottom out at 60 F but can occasionally go to ~40 F. Would minnows be a good idea?

Would something like this that you put in the water to kill the larvae work?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Aggro posted:

It's a vinyl one with a fabric one in front of it. It was there when I moved in v:)v

Sounds like I'm picking up Magic Erasers on my next supermarket run. Thanks dudes.

You can put the vinyl shower curtain in the washing machine, too. Add a bit of bleach, or vinegar if you prefer.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

marshmallard posted:

A thing snobs say.

Yes, it's interchangeable and not snobbish.

I think it is a bit snobbish depending on what you're picking up. If you're picking up some milk from the store on the way home, it's not, but if you're picking up a new car, that is definitely snobbish. I would only use "pick up" with casual or everyday purchases, and if I hear someone using it with big-ticket items it sounds to me like they're bragging about being so rich that buying expensive things is a casual occurrence for them.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

For what it's worth if someone referee to someone as 'West Indian' the Caribbean wouldn't be one of the first two places I thought of. It probably makes more sense if you're from England since you refer to that area as the West Indies, but that doesn't seem (at least where I grew up in Virginia and California) to be the common term.

I may well be wrong though.

I grew up in Virginia, and I would definitely associate it with people from the Caribbean (though I would probably not use that term). What would you associate it with if not the Caribbean?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

spregalia posted:

Generally, the driver going straight always has right-of-way if the other car is turning left (the blue car is entering the pink car's lane of traffic) although many people will yield right-of-way to the first car to arrive at the intersection out of courtesy. If you want to avoid stand-offs try hand signals or flashing your lights.

I don't think this is true. In Virginia at least, the Driver's Manual says that the first to the intersection has the right of way. The problem is that a lot of people just assume that the other driver is going straight, so they don't bother waiting to go out into the intersection.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Golbez posted:

Just installed a program where the installer, like all Windows installers ever, said "It is strongly recommended you close all programs before installing." Why? Has anything ever gone remotely wrong when installing a program?

If you have a crappy computer that can't handle too much at once, it could freeze up.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

I have a "Family Visit" visa to Algeria that I got last year. The expiration date is 5/31/2013 and the duration is 90 days with multiple entries allowed.

Does this mean that:
* I can enter Algeria multiple times for no more than 90 days each trip until the expiration date?
* I can enter Algeria multiple times but the total amount of time spent in Algeria before the expiration date can't be more than 90 days?
* I can enter Algeria multiple times, but only within 90 days after my first entry?

I spent a month in Algeria last year and I'm hoping to go again for a couple of weeks in September. If I need a new visa I won't have time to get one before my trip and I'll have to cancel. I'm going to stop by the Algerian embassy in DC tomorrow to ask them in person, but in the meantime does anyone have an idea?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

miryei posted:

This seems to imply that your second description is correct.

Thank you so much for finding this! The website of the Algerian embassy in the US didn't have this information (or at least I couldn't find it).

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Do any other countries have an immigration lottery or something similar to the US Diversity Visa Program (Green Card Lottery)?

Edit: If you don't know what this is, basically if you are from a country that doesn't have high immigration levels to the US and you meet certain basic requirements (high school diploma or a couple years work experience), you can enter a "lottery" for a green card (permanent residency).

Florida Betty fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 31, 2012

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Busy Bee posted:

I'm currently sick and my family doctor recommended that he prescribes me amoxicillin. However, I looked through my medicine cabinet and I found an unopen bottle of Amoxicillin, still sealed, in the back of the cabinet. It was prescribed in July 2010, and on the Walgreens label says to use before July 2011. It was in a cool and dark place, probably did not even move from the spot I found it in today, so I'm assuming it's still safe to use?

It won't hurt you, but it will be less effective. Why wouldn't you just get a new prescription? Antibiotics are dirt cheap. Some pharmacies even fill them for free.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

tarepanda posted:

How do people usually browse SA?

On smaller forums, I read every single sub-forum and check out the new topics/posts, but SA is just too huge and I gave up at the very beginning... now I only ever go to my control panel to check new posts on threads I have tagged.

I use RSS feeds.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Dassiell posted:

Should I continue to be a psych major even though there doesn't seem to be many good-paying jobs in the field?

Most people end up getting jobs in fields outside their college major. If you want to be a professional psychologist/therapist/whatever, you'd probably need a graduate degree anyway. And unless you're going to switch from psychology to a hard science, engineering, or business, it's not going to make much of a difference for you. If you're a freshman and it's easy to switch, then go ahead. But if you're already pretty far in, it's not worth it to add an extra year or two to your time in college just because you'd rather major in sociology or French literature. Not that there's anything wrong with those things.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

I keep seeing different versions of Mohamed Morsi's name in various news sources: Morsi is the most common, but there's also Mursi, Morsy, Mursy, etc. I am aware, obviously, that there are different methods of transcribing Arabic letters, but considering Morsi spent a significant period of time in the US as a graduate student and then professor, you'd think he would have a preferred spelling that everyone would be using. So what is the preferred spelling?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

I understand that there are many different valid ways to transcribe Arabic into English. But in the case of someone like Morsi, who spent something like 8 years in the US, there is obviously a preferred spelling (preferred, I mean, by him and the Egyptian government). In this case, why wouldn't everyone just use this spelling? Anyway, I answered my own question: Egypt's State Information Service website and some other official government webpages I found use the "Morsi" spelling both in English and French.

edit: An interesting article on the subject from the Saudi Gazette. It looks like even Egypt can't keep the spelling straight on its official pages, which is maybe where the confusion comes from.
edit2: It looks like Morsi wrote his PhD thesis as "Morsy" but his line now is that he prefers "Morsi"

Florida Betty fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 7, 2012

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

LittleBob posted:

"Thus do not"
"Do thus not"
"Do not thus"

Which of these is grammatically correct? Context is "[t]hese words do thus not meet the test laid
down in Thoburn."

None of these is grammatically incorrect, but I think there is a slight change in meaning depending on where you put the "thus".

If you say "These words thus do not meet the test laid down in Thoburn", "thus" appears to be a conjunction with the meaning of "hence" or "therefore". If this is the meaning you're going for, you might be better off putting "thus" at the beginning of the sentence: "Thus, these words do not meet the test laid down in Thoburn."
If you say "These words do not thus meet the test laid down in Thoburn", "thus" could easily be interpreted as an adverb meaning "like so" or "in this manner".

So, which are you trying to say?

In any case, don't use "do thus not". It may not be grammatically incorrect, but it's ugly.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

I open the mail at work, and we get a surprising amount of envelopes with obviously reused stamps on them, cut out from the original envelope and then glued on the envelope that we receive. I would have thought the post office would have a way of identifying stamps that have already been used. Is this not the case or what?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

stubblyhead posted:

That is called the cancellation, and that's exactly what its intended purpose is. The first adhesive postage stamp was the English Penny Black, which only lasted a year before being replaced by the Penny Red. Reason being, the cancellation mark was hard to see on the Black, so re-use was rampant. I'm surprised that Florida Betty sees so much of that though. Are there multiple cancellation marks on the stamps? Might be worth talking to your mailman about, but there's probably not a lot he can do about it.

Usually there is a cancellation mark, but sometimes not, or at least it isn't visible. Today I had about 20 letters to open, and one didn't have a cancellation mark (maybe because it had 3 30 year old 15 cent stamps on it instead of a more modern machine-readable stamp?).

I assume the post office just isn't too vigilant about people reusing stamps because few people would go to such an effort. My company works almost exclusively with people over the age of 60 (who are known for their frugality) so maybe this is why.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Crankit posted:

I've seen american immigration portrayed on TV a couple of times and one question they asked is Are you or have you ever been a member of the communist party, if they still ask why do they still ask that and what happens if you say yes?

They do ask you this, though:

Do you seek to enter the United States to engage in export control violations, subversive or terrorist activities, or any other unlawful purpose? Are you a member or representative of a terrorist organization as currently designated by the U.S. Secretary of State? Have you ever participated in persecutions directed by the Nazi government of Germany; or have you ever participated in genocide? Have you ever participated in, ordered, or engaged in genocide, torture, or extrajudicial killings?

See, then if it turns out you are a genocidal Nazi terrorist, you get in trouble for lying on the form.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Tiggum posted:

In the mail today I got a flyer claiming to be from Reader's Digest (Australia) Pty Ltd saying that I can just enter a code on their website to go in the draw for $500,000. Since I can see no reason for a company to just want to give away $500,000 to someone who doesn't even buy any of their products I assume this must be a scam of some kind, but the URL on there (http://www.readersdigest.com.au/grandprize) seems to be legit, so what's the catch? Who's trying to scam me and how does it work?

It is called a sweepstakes, and it is quite common. The catch is that if you win by collecting your prize you are consenting to them using your picture to advertise. They'll probably print your picture in the magazine along with an article, and more people will buy the magazine because they think it will increase their odds of winning, even though in some places (the US for sure, but I don't know about Australia) by law no purchase is necessary to enter.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

BobTheCow posted:

This guy was an executioner in Virginia, killed 62 people between the electric chair and lethal injection. He wrote a book about those experiences, but judging the book by its cover it looks amateurish and has no reviews on Amazon so I have no idea if it's any good or not: http://amzn.com/1449751776

Here is a recent article about the guy in the Post, about why he did it and why he is now an opponent of the death penalty.

Here's a question:

I recently switched to Chrome on my Mac, because it runs so much faster than Firefox. But I seem to have a lot of trouble loading certain websites, notably Facebook and Gmail. What's wrong? I don't want to have to switch back to Firefox if I can fix this.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Golbez posted:

You're going to have to be more specific as to the "trouble". Do they not load? Do they load slowly? Are they ugly?

Yeah, sorry. They just don't load. In Gmail it goes to the loading page but the progress bar never moves. In Facebook it loads the header or sometimes a bit more, but I can't click on anything.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Noni posted:

I bought this can of Spam today at a discount food store in the US because it puzzled me:

It says "90% PORK! Pork - Not for Muslims!" First of all, that is a terrible slogan. This can has a lot of Arabic script and is obviously marketed for non-English speakers. This made me wonder: What percent of non-English-speaking Arabic speakers eat pork? Of those, what percentage would eat spam (or non-fresh) pork?

Similarly, what percent of self-identified Muslims eat pork? I'm just wonder if saying "Not for Muslims!" overtly is presumptive at all.

There are many non-Muslim Arabs, particularly Christians, in the US, though most of them do speak English. Maybe it was meant to be sold in a country like Egypt or Iraq where Christians make up a significant portion of the population?

I don't know any Muslims who eat pork, and I am Muslim for what it matters. Even the people I know who grew up Muslim but don't practice the religion anymore don't eat pork, though they might not be as careful about avoiding pork byproducts. It's not like how some Jews keep kosher and some don't - Muslims just don't eat pork as a rule, even if they don't otherwise follow a strictly halal diet.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

I thought about asking in the business/careers sub-forum, but I didn't see a thread for interviews and this thread will get more views/responses:

I have a job interview in a few hours...I've never considered myself great at them (does anyone?) Anyway, I've already had two phone interviews for this job, and this face-to-face interview is the last one. I really, really want this job, but there's one thing I always hate:

The inevitable "what's your biggest weakness" question. It's the biggest piece of BS in the world of job-hunting. I've read so much conflicting poo poo online. Most places say to always give those cliched "actually a positive dressed up as a weakness" answers, like:
I'm a workaholic
I'm too "detail-oriented"
I get lost in my work

I mean...it seems to me that anyone who does any interviewing at all will see right through that BS...but on the other hand, I don't really want to say something like,
Well, I can be pretty lazy...a good chunk of my time will be spent browsing SA.

The only thing I can think of is to say that sometimes I can get a little behind in my paperwork. It's a real weakness, not a fake one, but it's pretty minor.

Use a real weakness (not a huge one), but also talk about what steps you've taken to overcome it. Something like "I tend to get behind in paperwork, so I set up 15 minutes at the end of every day for filing and blah blah blah" or "I'm not much of a morning person, so I try to plan my morning before I leave work the night before."

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

marshmallard posted:

Does it matter if I take my daily medication with lemonade instead of water?

It probably doesn't matter, but it entirely depends on what your daily medication is. For example, if you're taking Adderall, it could reduce the effectiveness.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

marshmallard posted:

Citalopram, thyroxine and birth control. I thought it was probably a bad idea but then I realised I'd just drink lemonade shortly afterwards anyway and it probably wouldn't make much difference.

Try this website: http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php

Put in all the drugs you take and it will tell you of any interactions, including interactions with food/drink.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

cheerfullydrab posted:

Are there any good OTC medicines for nausea that I could find in a Rite Aid or similar regular pharmacy? I currently buy and consume a lot of Nauzene chewables, which are small miracles, but I need something better. I'm down to buy just about anything. Also, are there any commonsense cures for nausea that might help mitigate its effects?

Mint herbal tea. You can buy something like this or just make your own with mint leaves and hot water.

If you buy something, make sure it's herbal tea (or tisane) and doesn't contain any actual tea, because real tea can exacerbate your nausea.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Captain von Trapp posted:

I'm interested in knowing my fasting blood glucose level. (I'm not diabetic or overweight, just curious.) The campus clinic will do this test for $15. A blood glucose meter on Amazon is the same price, and could presumably be used to cheaply retest at a later date. Is there any reason not to buy a meter?

Home blood glucose meters are significantly less accurate than lab blood tests, up to 20% off.

Carbon Thief posted:

I know my grandmother needed a prescription to buy the testing strips for the meter, so check that before you buy it. Otherwise I don't see why not, as long as you know what your levels should be to compare it to.

You don't need a prescription to buy the testing strips, but they can be very expensive if you don't (a couple bucks each, which really adds up when you test your blood several times a day).

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Mescal posted:

I'm from Oregon too and I grew up in a shoed house. The only shoeless people I know are either OCD about tidiness or germophobic about cleanliness. But I would never wear my shoes inside anybody's house (unless I know the house rules) because that's rude. And I would never tell someone to remove their shoes before walking around my house because that's extremely loving rude.

It's got to be a regional thing. I'm in Virginia and I never wear shoes in the house (out of comfort, not a sense of cleanliness), but I would never take my shoes off in someone else's house unless they asked me to. I would consider it rude. If they're Arab or Iranian or from a culture where I know people never wear shoes in the house, I'll ask if I should take them off. If they're just plain old American, I won't.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Pyromancer posted:

Do americans have different school of holding a pen/pencil?
Saw Obama signing something and noticed he has a strange grip on his pen with it on his ring finger, not middle.

Looked around on the internet and saw more examples of that, and not only in lefties.
I thought everyone were taught to hold it like this:

I hold my pen like Obama, but in my right hand. It's not common here in America. I didn't even notice I was doing it differently from everyone else until high school or so, when it was too late to change. I've tried doing it the "right" way, but I can't get used to it.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

roads posted:

Is there a secret to shipping packages?
I have a lot of cool knick knacks I want to sell on etsy/storenvy, but every time I calculate shipping to random zip codes in the US to come up with an estimate, it says something ridiculous like 20-30$ to ship a pair of shoes or a sweater using USPS. UPS/fedex isn't a whole lot different.

I buy things online a lot, and have never paid more than 5$ shipping. What am I doing wrong?

I'm in Virginia, US if it matters

Priority Mail Flat Rate Boxes/Envelopes

If it fits, it ships. The boxes are free, too. Just pick them up at a post office or order them online.

Edit: Also try Media Mail, if what you're shipping is eligible

Florida Betty fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 10, 2013

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Wagonburner posted:

"storm is moving at 15 miles an hour"

"plans start at 14.99 a month"

"wait half a minute"

Are any of these correct? If not I guess they're common enough most people think they should be allowed in print/said on tv? (I don't, doesn't seem right to me.)

They are all correct.

Some people think "per" is more correct in these situations (at least the first two), but in fact lots of style guides recommend against it except in technical writing. I've been searching for a link to prove this, but it's surprisingly difficult to Google "per".

Edit: Here's an example from The Guardian style guide.

quote:

per
avoid; use English: "She earns £30,000 a year" is better than "per year". If you must use it, the Latin preposition is followed by another Latin word, eg per capita, not per head. Exception: miles per hour, which we write mph

Edit 2: Another example, slightly different from the National Geographic style guide.

quote:

per
In editorial copy it is preferable to write:
$2.25 a day, not per day
miles an hour, not miles per hour

But per is used in:
pounds per square inch
revolutions per minute, etc.

Florida Betty fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 10, 2013

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

TATPants posted:

This is very surprising to me because the phrase "dollars a month" makes no sense unless you mentally substitute "a" with "in a" or "per" or "every". It seems imprecise to simply use "a" when you mean something completely different. I guess that's just me, though. It is a colloquialism, which pretty much means that it is not the 'proper' use, right?

Are you maybe a native speaker of Spanish or French or some other Romance language? English doesn't follow the same rules. "Dollars a month" is perfectly acceptable and not a colloquialism. It's commonly used in both formal and informal writing. "Per" is the newcomer to the English language. It comes from Latin and was originally only used with Latin phrases (per diem, per annum, per capita). Its use has been expanded in recent years, but it's still not incorrect to say "miles an hour" or "dollars a month".

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

The Holy Land aside, Kosovo seceded from Serbia as recently as 2008 (though that's not universally recognized) and there are various ongoing squabbles over islands that might cause them to change hands in the future, like the Falklands/Malvinas.

And South Sudan is a new country. That was just 2 years ago.

It's always fun to look at maps and globes and try to guess when they were printed based on which countries are and aren't on there. Sometimes you can even guess the exact year. If you see mostly independent African countries, but Syria and Egypt are still part of the United Arab Republic, you have 1961! If you see both Russia and Czechoslovakia and nothing funky like the Belgian Congo, then you've got 1992!

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Gravity Pike posted:

Does it have to be a mask? Hoodie+bandana will cover up most of your face, leave you able to see and talk, and you won't look super suspicious. (Worst case, you look like a gang member, I guess?) Plus you can transform from Masked Mystery to "punk kid" by slightly adjusting things, instead of being stuck with a big dumb mask.

Where do you live that a hoodie and bandana isn't super suspicious? It's pretty much on par with a ski mask.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

There's a waterpark opening in town this weekend (:woop:), but it's only just occurred to me that I don't have anything to keep cash, cards etc. with me while in the park (at least without making a soggy mess of the lot). I guess I could just throw the lot in a ziploc bag and shove it in my pocket, but does anyone have any better ideas?

i wish bringing my phone in wasn't a terrible idea, i'm gonna go slightly nuts without it

They almost certainly have locker rentals.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Baron Bifford posted:

The medieval definition of "outlaw" was someone who was declared outside the protection of the law - ie fair game for any lynch mob. In westerns, criminals are commonly called "outlaws", but how can they be outlaws by the classic definition? I thought the constitution guaranteed that everyone has certain rights that can never be stripped.

The answer is quite simply that people don't use the "classic" definition. Words are always changing meaning, taking on new meanings, losing old meanings, etc. Maybe outlaw used to mean someone who was outside the protection of the law, but it doesn't mean that now; it just refers to a habitual criminal.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

This is something I've always wondered even though I'm sure there's a good answer:

Is it extremely common for criminals with access to put dealer plates on their cars before doing a pre-planned crime like a bank robbery?

How common could it possibly be for bank robbers to own car dealerships? In any case, dealer plates are traceable back to the dealership, so they wouldn't be hiding too much. Is there something I'm missing in this question?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

csidle posted:

Question regarding proper English. This could also fit in the English prof thread, but it's pretty basic so I figure I might try for an answer here.

When using "through" to indicate a period of time, would it be proper to write the following in an academic paper:
"The project ran through September 1st, 2012 to May 31st, 2013."
or
"The project ran September 1st, 2012 through May 31st, 2013."

Thanks.

Only use "through" before the end date. The second one is correct, the first one is not. You could also add a "from" before the first date:
The project ran from September 1st, 2012 to May 31st, 2013
The project ran from September 1st, 2012 through May 31st 2013.

There is a difference between "to" and "through", but it's not huge and it may not matter depending on what you're talking about. If something runs through May 31st, that means it ends at the end of the day on May 31st. If it just runs to May 31st, it's not clear when it ends on May 31st, or if it ended as soon as it turned midnight on the 31st. Unless you're talking about something where the time of day it ends is actually important, it doesn't really matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Baron Bifford posted:

Is there something in Fanta Zero that is toxic to insects? This morning, a bumblebee got trapped behind my window, but it eventually stopped making noise, and when I investigated I found it twitching helplessly in an overturned bottlecap of a Fanta Zero bottle I drank the day before. Perhaps the bee drank what few drops remained in the cap and was somehow poisoned. Is it the aspartame?

Probably not the Aspartame. Maybe it's because Fanta is gross, and Fanta Zero no doubt even grosser.