Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I like that this break shows off not just how the various charaters draw and write, but also what they consider a comic to be. Annie and Kat did little four-panel stories, Renard did a political cartoon, Mort a series of riddle jokes, Gamma and Blue going for something more artistic. The variety is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I just noticed Annie didn't assume that whoever wrote the letter was male.

Judging by Kat's reaction, she probably doesn't think they are.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There's only a handful of characters that aren't romantically involved with someone. Annie, Kat (until now, I guess), Paz, Matt. Red and Blue. Reynardine? Other than minor robots or some unknown student there's not a lot of options out there.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Fangz posted:

Deflation happened in the 30s. Hyperinflation did not.

Hyperinflation was the 20s, as part of the aftermath of WW1. Close enough.

I wonder if Smitty's power would allow him to fortuitously find a game that his powers would not affect.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Phy posted:

And I'm retroactively a little sad that it's a grey squirrel in the first place, considering they're an invasive species in Britain. Although I guess so is Coyote...

Grey squirrels are pretty much the only species of squirrel in Britain at this point. I've never seen a red one in the wild.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Perhaps Kat suspects the letter is a prank at her expense, and is going to confront Paz about the rumours on her sexuality. Certainly that seems to have been on her mind when it came up before.

I mean, maybe this whole thing is more innocent than that, but this arc doesn't strike me as a sweet tale of puppy love.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sneaksie Taffer posted:

I'm leaning towards Paz thinking the letter is from Kat to Bobby.

That definitely seems like a direction this could go in. She did notice the letter.

Maybe Paz will start thinking Bobby is a female now.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Magypsy posted:

This is adorable, but I'm a little worried that Paz is going to be heartbroken at the end of this. I'm gay, and when I was Kat's age, I never even thought about the opposite sex. She's had plenty of crushes on men, and I can't remember her having any on women, so I think she'll reject Paz and it'll be super awkward for everyone involved. :smith:

She seems pretty uncertain about it.

To me it comes down to whether Kat would accept just to have a shot at romance at all, or reject to preserve her self-image. I suspect her decision won't actually have any basis in her opinion of Paz, so it'll probably end badly either way.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Onean posted:

I dunno. It doesn't have this page, so I'm not sure I agree with you.

But it does have this page, so I think that balances out.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cuchulain posted:

So I was just rereading the archives and other then being sweet and all does this this make anyone else slightly concerned for John's safety? :ohdear:

It's possible they might just break up at some point. Not everyone spends the rest of their life with their high school sweetheart, even if they still like them.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Looks like someone stopped running from what scared her.

I wonder how this will affect the dynamics of the group. Annie became kind of a third wheel the last time Kat got romantic, but she has more friends now. Or perhaps Paz will become part of the core group.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

1stGear posted:

Never stop :3:ing

As for Annie's reaction, I think she's going to be super-pumped. She might be briefly confused that its Paz and not a boy, but that'll last like a panel and then straight back to being super-pumped.

Annie didn't assume it was a boy in the first place. And yeah, I can't imagine her being anything other than supportive of Kat having a relationship, for all that she's kind of a dolt when it comes to romance.

This leaves Annie the only student character without some sort of relationship or crush. She's never shown any romantic inclination at all, not counting the trick she tried to pull on Jack. I wonder if that's important. It could just be her father's influence; he looked much the same.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I've been pretty much running under the assumption that Tony is trying to get Surma back somehow. He worked tirelessly to cure her despite knowing exactly what was happening. I wouldn't be surprised if the entire chapter of Microsat 5 was a ruse to get Annie somewhere he could predict.

...that said if he couldn't figure out where Annie was I don't know how he'd know to call Jones to get to her.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I don't think we'll be able to have a good guess at what Anthony is up to until we know the nature of his and Surma's relationship. They were apparently both entirely aware of what would happen if they had a child. They did anyway.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Renard's got himself a pretty sweet set-up there.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I love how much the body language in the last two panels says. You can tell Kat still isn't wholly comfortable with the whole dating a girl thing, and not just because she hasn't told Annie yet.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

MikeJF posted:

What Foley students aren't? Seems to me that with the exception of Shadow, who Jones snuck in and wasn't assigned normally to the house, everyone there is an animal or fairy who was transformed into a human.

According to Word Of Tom, Brinnie was in Foley house. She came from Valhalla, not the forest.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Pretty sure he said she was in Chester. Which makes sense, as it's the 'not entirely human/weird poo poo' house.

It was Foley. Perhaps Foley is the house for those who didn't grow up in normal human society, so that they have that in common. Zimmy probably knew what a haircut is, for example.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

Renard you're lookin' pretty darn creepy there buddy.

Actually, check out those nails. He's looking downright terrifying.

Same with the dudes from the Court. I've always liked how there's bits where Tom depicts people from the Court, like Anja and Donald in the central panel thing in this one: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=106

they're like big, scary, terrifying things that want to EAT YOU or something. Even though we know they're great people. To Renard right then, and to other people at other times, they are probably terrifying.

Like it must be similar in some ways to how little micey dudes see the scientist dudes looming over them when they are gettin studied or whatever.

Extra food for thought: it makes them look just like Coyote's glass-eyed men.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hetty is very much a foil for Renard. They are both some sort of spirit above humanity trapped in a toy and thus bound to their owner's will, but the difference is in how they treat it. Hetty views Adam with unbridled hatred and tries to torture him to death, while Renard learned to love Annie such that she doesn't want to boss him around.

Hetty is a snapshot of what Renard could have been. This is still very much a chapter about him.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I suspect this chapter will be about Annie as medium for the Forest. The imagery matches her role as a Forest agent in the Court.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Suaimhneas posted:

About the homework copying: I remember her doing it that one time, but has there been anything to show that she's done it a lot? I see people here talking about Annie ignoring her schoolwork for years and I'm not sure where that impression's coming from.

It's sort of implied. Every time Annie is shown with homework at all she's copying it from Kat.

WeaponBoy posted:

Is it just me or do they look kind of oddly short in the second panel? They're, what, 14-16 now? Their proportions make them look more like they're 10.

13-14; this is still their third year. The proportions look fine for that, probably in part because they clearly dress more like teenagers than children.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I would legitimately be happy if Annie's forest visit was all off-screen and the entire chapter was a day in the life of Kat & Paz.

I mean, realistically, I'm sure something awesome will happen in the forest. But those two are just so cute.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

So that's the problem. What is the solution and how do we help?

I guess you could offer him a lift to wherever he ends up moving? It's really not a problem anyone needs help with.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

DaveWoo posted:

I've never read Sandra & Woo. What's so bad about it?

It's not offensive or anything; it's just kind of bland and humourless.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

Zimmy's like an antenna of sorts, I think Jones said this. I think she like "connects" with some alternate "plane of dimension :pcgaming:" where there's all sorts of weird poo poo, and weird stuff happens to your brain.

As far as I can tell, her mind taps directly into the ether, and realises it as the grungy distorted hellhole version of Birmingham. I don't think it can actually escape her mind normally, which puts a lot of stress on her psyche and makes her, well, Zimmy.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Also note that the last treatise highlights Ysengrin's damaged ear, so there's something up with it, whatever it may be.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Desuwa posted:

I tried reading this about a year ago and gave up after the first chapter, since it didn't seem to click with me and I didn't know much about it.

The first chapter or two definitely seem to lean on that weird, alien vibe more than the rest of the comic. Just compare the way the corridors look at the start of the comic to the start of this chapter. I suppose it could be said that this reflects the way Annie sees the court, as it comes to feel more like home to her.
Or perhaps Tom just changed his vision a bit over the years.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It'll be good to see more of the nature of their relationship, however it ends up. I presume they won't just break up, given how long was spent setting it up, but then on the other hand they are teenagers.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

Paz could always just be the Aqua-Man of the group! That's gotta count for something, right?

Paz already has Aquaman beat, since she can also talk to land animals.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Interesting to see that Kat, when considering inviting Paz was a bad idea, figured she should have put off her hobby with Annie instead of putting off hanging out with Paz. Despite the fact they seem to be hanging out all the time anyway. She must put a lot of value in her relationship with her girlfriend.
On the other hand, she's shy about getting changed in front of her, so they can't be that close yet. Sure, they're 14-ish, that's pretty normal, but given how much Kat had been questioning her sexuality she must be pretty conflicted.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Not to mention this is a development in the plot vis a vis Kat's attempt to grow a robot.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

seravid posted:

Apologize for being so distant and promise to never abandon Annie again? Yes.

Even that would be contentious, I think Annie and maybe Donald are the only people left that don't hate him.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I would guess Llanwellyn was trying to gauge Annie's relationship with Coyote/Ysengrin/Renard. Seeing how she responds to being forbidden from the forest - and how Coyote responds - or to the suggestion that Reynardine be returned (not even an order, just an offer under the premise that she might be tired of the responsibility). As to why he'd want to know how close she is to the hounds is anyone's guess, but he may well have grander plans for her than the role of medium.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Heavy Zed posted:

My favorite is the one talking to the doorman here.

On Annie's reaction, I can't help thinking she'll maybe feel a little bit betrayed over being kept out of the loop.

Yeah, it seems pretty likely she'll feel a bit hurt about Kat keeping a secret like that from her. And probably self-conscious about being one of the last, what, three? people she knows to get a partner. I wouldn't think it'd drive a wedge between them or anything, though.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I think it's referring to Jones working at the Court.

Yeah, I would guess Renard was criticising Jones working there and thus giving the image of taking their side.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Blackheart posted:

Rereading that chapter up to this page, I know robot is a good guy but he really gives a cultist vibe sometimes. Even shadow's sad face makes the page more ominous, although it's mostly due to the sad events he just witnessed.

(also of course, you have to at least read the next page please)

We've seen in other chapters that Robot has been waiting for an angel long before Kat was around. He might be projecting on her. Just a little.

It'll probably make for some pretty great conflict down the line.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Oh there's no question that she is an angel to the robots. He just might be projecting onto her abilities and goals.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Annie almost certainly doesn't have a phone - who would have given her one? Surma wouldn't have needed her to have one since they were inseparable, and I can't imagine Anthony actually giving her a gift. And since she became old enough to go out by herself she's never left the Court-Gillitie region, which probably doesn't have a local Vodafone branch.

I'd imagine most of the other kids have mobiles, and they work fine, we just haven't seen them use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bot 02 posted:

Can someone explain the pizza thing to me? I've seen it mentioned more than a few times in this thread, but I've no idea where it actually came from. While it's fun to imagine Annie as a pizza-junky, it's also pretty confusing. :confused:

It started with the joke that when Annie was missing, she was organising a pizza party for Kat and Paz.