Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I wish square would do bigger discounts but a lot of their games on sale now have reached their maximum sale price they've been for years so I'm probably going to have to decide if I really want to pay the premium or never play that game on steam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Mr. Locke posted:

Honestly, most companies do smaller discounts on Steam sales then the old days. If you're waiting for games to go past 50%, you're either hoping a game flops hard on release or are willing to wait 5+ years for the MSRP to go down instead, because outside of that the odds are pretty low- on my entire 100+ item wishlist, only three items are past 50% discount on the current sale- two pretty big flops in Humankind & Research and Destroy, as well as Solasta.

Most of Square's catalog is 50%~ percent off, and that's about as high as I see on Steam Sales from anyone not trying to firesale something like EA Star Wars games anymore.

I miss the days of 90% discounts on random games

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Endorph posted:

most rpgs arent really aimed at 'teenagers' exactly they're aimed at the sought after 18-34 demographic. and if we're talking JRPGs most of them have adult women as an intentional part of their marketing strategy.

poo poo. what games do I start playing in 14 months?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Endorph posted:

rean is being very charitable calling that 3d model well built

Orlando is extremely lean and muscular. I think anyone would consider that "well built"

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What game is most like 13 Sentinels?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Alard posted:

It's combat is pretty much the combat from a PS1 game called Gunparade March, though sadly it's never gotten a translation.

That's a bummer because the battles in the game I remember were so goddamn fun but it was honestly too easy

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Started Caligula Effect: Overdose

wow it's been a while since I've played a jrpg with janky cutscenes and animations interspersed with actual anime

combat seems clunky but different. has an autobattle, it seems.

no auto-text advance is a big negative, though.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Correction, there's no autobattle. I am not sure what "auto" does in battle

Oh wow the same devs did Lost Dimension, I have that and have been meaning to play more than a few minutes of it. Apparently they did the sequel to this game and Monark, I've been eyeing Monark but it never goes on a decent sale. Crystar is another I've been thinking about. Neat.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 22, 2023

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

A Bystander posted:

Lost Dimension is good, as long as it is not the lovely PC port.

I only have that copy of the game :\

secretly best girl posted:

Auto puts all non-PCs on an autobattle. You have to pick your own moves.

Hrm. I guess so. I'm already kind of just spamming one or two moves.

Clarste posted:

I like auto-advance so I can put down the controller and eat or something.

same!

Kanos posted:

Yeah, it's lovely but completely understandable. Game dev teams are often crunched/harassed to complete a game by deadlines and having a team whose entire job is effectively to put more work on your table is going to breed anger and resentment against them, even if that extra work is your fault for making mistakes in the first place.

Developers are almost always angry because the company doesn't hire enough of them to satisfy both coverage, and existing maintenance of code bases. You see this all over IT fields, not just game design.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Isn't that Knuckle's Dad's hat?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Its his hat from the ova smh.

Truly sad that people are now more aware of the weird comics than the classics

I read the knuckles comic as a kid because he was more interesting than sonic, and still is

Looper posted:

in the archie comics it is the hat of one of his many semi-immortal grandpas and featured in a tragic storyline of a dumb dad mistaking the unconscious body of his mortal enemy for the body of his son

yeah those owned

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I played the chaos demo and it was bad.

completely irredeemable

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Willo567 posted:

to be fair they also can't understand kingdom hearts which is a simple plot but because it isn't as simple as a Disney movie it confuses them

Don't gaslight me, I've seen the "what is kingdom heart's storyline" youtube summaries and it's all over the loving place

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Willo567 posted:

lol kh isn't confusing at all unless you assume it's as simple to understand as a disney movie. the only thing that confused me was the time travel stuff

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The KH games have literal children's cartoon characters sit down and explain the plot as you play it.

Okay, lemme rephrase what I meant: There's at least 13 of them. I'm not going to play all of them. So, you instead watch a summary and play the most recent one instead, or semi recent one and work up from there. So, when you watch the summary, you go "wow everyone is xenohort, this storyline is pretty dumb" and get turned away from playing it if it's going to be that bad.

For something that isn't episodic, like, final fantasy, it doesn't matter because you just pick up any of them and don't have to deal with that. Yes, there are a few exceptions with say, FF13, but where there's just 2-3 of them that are directly related, then you can still just pick up the first game in the sequence and you're fine. Having to play 12 other games to get a proper handle on the backstory is dumb. Start a new story.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

IDK about kingdom hearts but one of the things Disney also tends to do is push certain IP in a weird way that bugs me. Like, for the sake of it? They did this in Once Upon a Time and it was all very manufactured. "oh cool, each season they're incorporating a different disney IP with a dumb as hell reason for progressing the plot forward inorganically." and I dropped that some time after they were doing Brave or whatever

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This is the most telling on yourself post ever
I didn't like the combat.
I didn't like the story.
"I'm going to KILL Chaos" is so goddamn cringe. A better example of goofy writing/presentation is Two Worlds 1. That game owned. It wasn't cringy, but you could laugh at it because it did things so poorly while trying to be a straight shooter that it was fun in spite of itself.

Kind of the two whole reasons to play an rpg and those are both out.

Motto posted:

KH4 is the start of a new arc, congrats.

Sweet!

That is not a counter to the argument that narratives are meant to be experienced as the stories they are and not as lovely plot synopsis you find on youtubers name "TheRedditGoldGamer". My point is that of course understanding stories, especially longer ones, requires you to actually engage with the story and going "Oh but it's so confusing because I'm getting incomplete information second and third hand about it!!!" is just you being stupid and not a fault of the concept of narrative story telling.

I can see we aren't going to see eye to eye. I think it's bad story telling, you don't. whatever.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The Colonel posted:

thats not the story of stranger of paradise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr1k_LN07OQ

??????

Clarste posted:

Fun fact: you can go to wikipedia and read a plot summary of any movie and every single one will sound like the worst, most confusing story ever.

I don't agree with that. even a comedy book like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Restaurant_at_the_End_of_the_Universe makes logical sense.

Having someone show up later with no foreshadowing suddenly be xenohort doesn't.

it's like when I read this book where at the 11th hour Vlad Tepes is still alive and he saves humanity from an alien invasion like, no. gently caress that dumb poo poo.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 9, 2023

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

"That's not what the story or writing in SoP is about"
"Um...the word chaos is said for a total of 1 and a half minutes over a twenty hour game???? How is that not the plot?"

You're just loving stupid.

Like you might as well be cutting up FF7 and showing every time the word [Menu] appears and saying the story is about that.

Maybe it's not, but that's a single example. What I originally said was I didn't like the story in the demo. Every single loving line out of the MC was cringy and the pacing was awkward and it was just really kind of :smith: the entire time I was playing because it stood out as being low budget and bad.

The combat, I guess it could be good for someone, but I really strongly dislike combat like that.

So, if the demo is representative of the game, then it stands to reason, logically, the game is bad. If the demo isn't then, the demo is bad. Still, paying full price for a game at that point on the off chance it isn't, is pretty dumb, especially when those talking about the game are talking about the parts of the game you didn't at ALL enjoy, stands to reason that the rest of the game doesn't fundamentally change from the gameplay or presentation or story presented in the demo.

Regardless, your anger about that isn't going to change my mind, if anything the opposite is now true.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

restaurant at the end of the universe being the pull you did here, uh, is really not helping whatever case you are trying to make?

It was the only thing that I could think of offhand at the moment, because I read it recently.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-z-kSaKZts

What you've basically done to yourself is look at an Awkward Zombie comic and decide that you understand an entire game.

I'll take a look at this, I can ignore combat in a game if the story is good, or vice versa. I feel like I should probably just watch a cutscene compilation instead though

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The Colonel posted:

like half of the writing in stranger of paradise is in mid-gameplay dialog. you're missing out on a ton without that

I really liked the banter in Dragon Age in Mass Effect, but I don't think important parts of the narrative should be reliant on party banter to hold up the rest of it. Mid gameplay dialogue like banter should be inconsequential and funny as a way to break up the serious bits of the actual cutscenes

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

For the record I have never sent you or anybody for that matter a PM like that

https://youtu.be/tjiHufVEc7g

This was the synopsis of KH I was referring to though. Even if we aren't talking about it missing some nuance by way of it not showing the game as it was meant to be experienced, the story itself should be able the stand on its own merits.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Endorph posted:

why should the story have to be able to 'stand on its own merits' as presented by a jokey youtube video made by someone uninvolved with the game? any idiot could make a video summarizing any game and present it any way. even if the basic information is correct, how that information is presented is 90% of storytelling.

I guess then the difference of what we're talking about not liking is probably not the presentation aspect but the structure. Like they're talking about the main story and they're seemingly within the first game and it's already going "all according to plan" and some asspull happens.

I can watch something that takes longer and is more representative, but it may be a waste of time if the issues presented in the shorter form media are actually still present in the direct content.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Also if your argument is "The story sucks because it's all about X" and someone who has actually played it says "No it's not" then going "NUH UH!" and posting a joke compilation isn't a cognizant point or argument.

The 'main story' isn't just the bare plot beats of a narrative, it's all the other parts of the narrative that cohesively bond together through the telling to form a solid Thing.

That's like saying that you in order to understand the entire scope of the story, you can't skip any side quests when playing the game. The side quests are part of the entire narrative being told. More often than not in most games the side quests are just completely ignorable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ulio posted:

Just playing Nier Replicant on PC, drat people weren't kidding when they said the OST is godtier. Absolutely mindblowing how good the ost is, the hymn/chanting type doesn't even get overplayed despite being in many of the tracks.

I wish we had Gestalt on PC, you can play it w/ an emulator but it just isn't the same :|