Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

BananaNutkins posted:

Tak does not look beautiful.

Tak looks like two stoners dumped one of those Hillshire Farms smoked sausage gift baskets onto a chess board and started playing klingon tri-D checkers with the stacks of cheddar/crackers/processed meat and took the occasional bite out of the pieces.

Even the waitresses in his blog are fictional stock characters.

The Kickstarter says it comes with a companion book. Calling it now: the game ships with everything but the book, because it's just such a work of heartbreaking genius it'll take him years to finish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016
I had twelve dollars and fifty-nine cents in my belt purse. The driver, after complimenting my Tak board (which I had created myself, using the lost technique of Sanding Wood With Wang) required ten dollars and eighty-five cents in exchange for my deep dish pizza and a side of garlic breadsticks. I paid him ten dollars and eighty-five cents, which left me with only one dollar and seventy four cents. It is a misery to be poor, a misery you cannot understand unless you have found yourself with less than two dollars to tip a pizza-delivery driver. No. I did not tip. His glimpse of my Tak board should have been payment enough.

I ate the pizza. Its flavor was one note, a note only lovers of music and haters of poetry could comprehend. A note that said "sad."

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

quote:

“I’ll pass,” I said lightly. “Your shirttails are a little richly dyed for my taste.” I tugged at the front of my own shirt to make my point clear. A few nearby students laughed.

“I don’t get it,” I heard Sim say quietly to Wil.

“He’s implying Ambrose has the…” Wil paused. “The Edamete tass, a disease you get from whores. There is a discharge—"

I don't even understand this poo poo. Isn't a shirt tail in the BACK? And in any case, there's this bizarre disjunction between everyone laughing but thankfully there's one dude in the audience who is all EXPLAIN THIS JOKE TO ME.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Solice Kirsk posted:

He's such a piece of poo poo. He's gonna leave a bruise smacking himself on the back so hard for not considering himself a "success." I hope that single mother of 3 he knows and totally didn't make up gets the recognition she deserves.

She's as real as the pizza guy who showed up on his doorstep and said "Hey man, are you playing TAK?"

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016
Rothfuss wrote two books and a novella, of steadily-decreasing quality, refuses to get off his rear end and write anything now, and he thinks he can step to Rowling? I mean, he can think whatever he wants, but I'd hope some part of his brain would engage and go "Alert, alert, saying this poo poo in public is a bad idea and it's gonna make me look like an rear end."

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016
Kvothe gazed longingly at his Flow Hive. It was a hive that was not entirely a hive, not entirely honey, not entirely bees, but a combination of these things, more and yet...yet somehow less. Less in the tapping of the hive, less in the pour of the honey, less in the spring-evening buzzing that rose to his ears like a mandolin submerged under running stream water, struggling to play out a single heartfelt note. A note that said sad.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016
Has anyone written a series about biker wizards? Because now I want to read that poo poo. I don't care who writes it, as long as it isn't Rothfuhahahhaahhah he doesn't write anything.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Hate Fibration posted:

Rothfuss it's not impostor syndrome if you are an actual impostor. People like you are the reason impostor syndrome exists in the first place.

God, this. Dude writes two books (yes, novella and blah blah whatever, he wrote two books), one arguably readable, and has pretty much been handed the world on a plate. I looked at the first page of my Kindle shelf just now: something like twelve authors, every one of them with more talent than Rothfuss has in their little typing finger, and none of them with anywhere near his sales or fame. And he acts like he earned that poo poo. Writing success is not a meritocracy. (But what do I know? I buy books from Amazon, which apparently makes me a shitfuckarooni who single-handedly closed that one airport bookstore he goes to sometimes.)

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

BananaNutkins posted:

He didn't elaborate, unfortunately. But he delivered it in a very serious tone, then moved on to the next question. It might have been "slapping" offense. It involved some form of smackery.

In any case, his attitude guarantees he's only got the finest, pure-bred sycophants and rear end-kissers on his reader team, which is exactly what any decent writer doesn't want. "Oh, Patrick, your deathless prose is the finest I've ever read, nay, dreamed of! Was this feedback helpful y/n?"

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Epic fantasies are stories for children and hold no emotional truths.

Instead they hold real, physical truths. Facts about great and terrible events of the distant past that have faded from our conscious collective memory, and detailed instructions on how to survive the once and future horrors. Though most now dismiss them as meaningless fairy-tales, when you hear the whispers in the darkness beyond your door you will already know what to do, you will understand that everything you have seen and heard up until now has been preparing you for this moment, you will realize that the chandrian are real, the chandrian are alive, the chandrian are not your friend.

But when the Chandrian enter my house, they'll be all "man, is that a TAK board! Cooooool! I love Patrick Rothfuss!" And I'll be all "Yeah, man, it's a Tak board!" And they'll give me my pizza and leave.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Paragon8 posted:

What I don't get is how Rothfuss seems to be universally beloved by other fantasy writers and often gets cited as an inspiration.

Is he that much of a kingmaker in the genre that so many people are angling for book jacket quotes?

He sells a poo poo-ton of books (enough to be set for life plus get a hollywood deal based on two novels. He's selling enough books that he can pretty much tell his publisher "gently caress you, book three will be done when I feel like it," and that's not a common thing). When a writer's on that tier of success, yeah, getting a nod from him can be huge. I can't prove this, but I've heard more than once that a Twitter shout-out from Neil Gaiman can turn a book into a bestseller. Rothfuss is on that level, just without the talent and way creepier. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if some fantasy writers kissed his rear end in the hopes of an endorsement.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Atlas Hugged posted:

But nothing happens in his books for pages and pages, chapters and chapters. I also never understood the "turn your brain off thing". There are both good and bad action movies. See: Mad Max versus Transformers. If I'm picking up a book, I'm explicitly not turning my brain off. That doesn't mean it has to be the highest quality text in the world, but it should inspire something in me.

The Mad Max/Transformers thing is a great analogy. Rothfuss isn't aggressively awful. He's competent, at least, and I've read way, way worse, but watching his hardcore fans discuss his work genuinely sounds like, "No, you just don't understand the epic poetry and symbolism of Michael Bay! That moment when the two jive-talking autobots commented about the giant robot's balls was one of the finest moments in science fiction cinema!" On the other hand, I can respect people who just want to kick back and read his books as a fantasy romp, and not even consider approaching it on a literary level, but in that situation Rothfuss is a poor choice compared to any number of fantasy writers who do the "turn off your brain and have fun" thing better than he ever could. Go get some Sanderson.

(It doesn't help that Rothfuss is such a dick. I've met Sanderson, and just like everyone else who's met him, I can say he's an incredibly nice dude, super-gracious, just the model of what you'd hope a celebrity would act like. That doesn't magically make Sanderson a brilliant writer, but I'm willing to go a long way to give him the benefit of the doubt and stick around even if some of his books are clunkers. He worked hard to earn me as a fan. Rothfuss, on the other hand, acts like he can barely stand his own readers and he's entitled to his fame. That is, when he isn't going off on random tirades about how we all closed his favorite airport bookstore or some poo poo.)

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

And this is coming less than 24 hours after Rothfuss accidentally leaked a page from book three on Twitch, went berserk over it and blamed everyone but himself, and for an encore said that people asking when book three is coming out sounds to him like "the sound of of like a nail being dragged across my teeth combined with the smell of someone who just poo poo on themselves".

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

VagueRant posted:

The next book will be out when it's good and finished! gently caress you! Buy my board game!

...Oh, sorry, I don't know what overcame me there.

I guess people who want you to write your first book just don't care about charity.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016
Tomorrow I'm gonna tell my boss there's no possible way I can work on the company server overhaul, because politics in the US is a dumpster fire and we're all trying to fix it. I'm sorry, until Trump is impeached, expecting any of us to work for a living is simply unrealistic and people should feel bad for expecting otherwise.

(I would say "drat, writing is the only job where people can say stupid poo poo like that," but it's not writers, it's just him. The writers I dig are still pumping out the prose. Aren't artists supposed to get more active in bad times? So they can reach people with their art and suchlike?)

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016
So did Rothfuss just write his Auri-stand-in character for Torment: Tides of Numenera, or did he work on the main script? Because drat, 20 minutes in and this is... Rothfussian.

"Still the attackers keep coming. They fight as if your destruction were demanded of them." Yes soldiers do fight because the destruction of the enemy IS demanded of them, that's what war is.

"The door squeaks quietly, the sound like a bell in your memory." Squeak, bell, whatever.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016
Rothfuss is a Nice Guy. He is very invested in being a Nice Guy, and don't question his feminism, you slut.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Reene posted:

The dude in my D&D game tried so hard to insert the game into our campaign though. Like he would look for opportunities to pull it out and go "WE COULD PLAY TAK FOR THIS."

Does he deliver pizza for a living? We may have solved a mystery.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'd be willing to bet that most goons would still be pretty high on the books of the third one had been released in a timely manner. The Bad Thread started out as very positive about ASoIaF too, and now......

If the third book came out on time and, more importantly, made up for book two, I feel like a lot would have been forgiven. Instead we've basically had multiple years of Rothfuss being a dick and......that's it. No good books or material where you can say "Well, guy's an rear end, but I liked his last story, so whatever". At this point, he is the story. Which is apparently how he wants it. (For that matter, if the next ASoIaF book dropped tomorrow and was a literary masterpiece that blew me away, I'd walk back pretty much everything I've said about GRRM in the last couple of years.)

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

HIJK posted:

What would he write about in Rick & Morty? Morty lecturing Rick about how he has no idea what it's like to be poor?

I tell ya, Morty. *braaap* There was this girl in high school, Morty. She was smart, demure, nerdy, I loved her, Morty. I *braaap* loved her. And now she's a popular girl, Morty. A dirty stinkin' slut, Morty. My heart's broken. But if we keep opening up portals to alternate dimensions, we'll find her, and now that I'm a rich and famous scientist, Morty, this time she'll fall in love with me. This time *braaaaaap* she'll love me like she should, Morty.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016
"The King" is actually the name of a football-sized burrito served at a public house a few doors down from Kote's inn. If you can eat the whole thing in less than an hour, you're said to have killed the king. Suffice to say, Kote came and conquered.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

pentyne posted:

What a little bitch. Rothfuss has done nothing but bitch and whine whenever people ask him about book 3 while going to every con and fan gathering where he'd get his ego jerked off and taking other nerd writing jobs.

Lynch's life basically fell apart around him and he went into a massive depressive state and almost ruined his career until his agent finally dragged him into the light and had a heart to heart about Lynch's issues and that it wasn't the end of the world and he could get help. Which Locke then openly discussed online and admitted his failure to write/produce stemmed from personal problems and not his "unique" way of crafting a story that no one can dare to question.

Jesus, this. Lynch is struggling hard with clinical depression, he's owning it, he's talking to his fanbase with an open heart and he's doing the best he can -- and he's still producing more than Rothfuss. Rothfuss isn't fit to shine Lynch's shoes.

(Insert lazy joke here about how if he did, each shoe would be done several years apart and the second shoe would be smeared with what looks like jism, but if you don't like it clearly you don't understand the art of shoe-shining.)

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016
- When a bookstore at an airport he occasionally passes through closed, Twitter-raged against people who buy books on Amazon, because we are fuckheads who closed that bookstore.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016
It was the sound of a butt in three parts.

Clearly, something had gone horribly wrong.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

BananaNutkins posted:

The tenth anniversary cover is a huge mess, which I suppose is an accurate representation of the text within.

http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2017/06/10th-anniversary-edition-cover-reveal/

That cover froze me. I mean, I had nothing for my eyes to latch onto. There's angry stoneface front and center, and a wtf is that oh a splintered lute, and a bird on the lute, and and and. It's just this big muddled fuckfest of imagery and nothing fits anything else.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

pentyne posted:

Did Rothfuss design this and refuse any input since he massaged every visual aspect to perfection and the only valid criticism would be "it's perfect"?

Well, his pizza-delivery guy loved it.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

HIJK posted:

What I don't get is the pile of garbage the lute is lying on. What does it mean.

It played a note. And the note was SAD.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

jivjov posted:

TBH, Geek Chic was probably low balling a bit. Good furniture is expensive. Good furniture with built in gaming surfaces, extra drawers, etc is SUPER expensive.

It's baffling that anyone thought there were enough tabletop gamers -- a niche of a niche hobby -- with deep enough pockets to support the company. Hell, not even; I've got six people in my tabletop group, and even if all of us could actually afford this furniture, the only person to buy it would be the one person who usually hosts game night. It's not like an entire gaming group all is gonna go out and buy multiple custom tables for their individual homes. (Getting gamers to buy multiple copies of a freaking rulebook is like pulling teeth, forget $6000 furniture.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Miranda is just a huge nerd

Lots of arty theater and music nerds love Rothfuss for some reason

Rothfuss is a master of working the "No, this nerdy poo poo is deep and insightful and philosophical!" angle. Which makes you deep and insightful and philosophical, too, by liking it, and it gets perpetuated by other celebs like Lin giving blurbs like the one above, turning into a giant circle-jerk. Basically catnip for people who can't just enjoy nerdy poo poo and be happy with it for what it is.

• Locked thread