Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

So there are two tools out right now, Automaton and Wabbajack, that let you create a modlist based on your MO folder, which you can then share, with the tool automatically download, installing and generating all the files needed for you. Does anyone know of any modlists out there? They seem to hard to find bc Nexus nerds flip out over them.

Anyone had a chance to try either of them out?

FrancisFukyomama fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Cynic Jester posted:

Automaton is mostly dead, wabbajack is great. Head to the WJ discord to do find lists, though from what I remember there's only one fnv list.

Do you have to go to their discord to find the instructions? reading a few pages back it sounds like the modlist was briefly on the site but was then removed.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I wish there were a base mod that would also include all the sink AIs. I always end up having to split my time between the sink and the fancy mod base bc of all the crafting/processing stations unique to the sink. I remember trying to edit the mod with geck but couldn’t figure out how to add them

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

rope kid posted:

FWIW I streamed F:NV for 14 hours with Jsawyer, NVSE, and NVTF and I only had one crash/hang at the beginning of the second day of streaming, when I sat on the main menu for a long time and then loaded the game from Continue. I restarted and everything was fine. Otherwise I had no weird performance or crashes.

Did you ever get around to streaming with virgil Texas

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

croup coughfield posted:

vibing with the fact that no one learned anything and is doomed to repeat the past over again

It still owns how the NCR is pretty much if the Democratic Party clawed its way out of the radioactive rubble, learned nothing from the experience and is now doing atomic genocide.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Anyone know how to use this tool to bulk edit nif files for asurah/hitmans ironsights animations? To get compatibility you have to add a node to each nif file, which is easy to do manually but not really viable when you got hundreds of guns https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/67829

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Why do people seem so confident that F4NV is coming out? I remember so many enhanced remake in another engine mods and pretty much none of them came out. FNV had multiple FO1/2 remake mods in production at one point or another. Does the F4NV team just really have its poo poo together?

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

So is autumn leaves the only quest mod with FNV caliber writing? Since this and the other big quest mod I’ve played, beyond boulder dome, were kinda cringey

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

rope kid posted:

[Speech 50] It was just a prank.

It must be pretty neat to see your orbital space cannon from van buren finally show up in a game but it also comes with bdsm snake men

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I kinda wish there was a mod that added radiant faction wars quests. Like randomly generated bounties/raids you could do against NCR or Legion positions. I heard NV Bounties 2 added some but I can’t think of another mod that has. That being said I’ve never played the gamebryo games that had randomly generated quests so if they’re actually a dumpster fire than I could see why no ones done it

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I wish we could get a new version of Naky’s armory mod where he just compiled all the gun mods so you didn’t have to install a million of them separately bc of how protective people are of their mods and unlike the big gun packs out rn, also had a ton of melee and energy weapons instead of just it being entirely modern warfare guns bc the mod makers are boring gun nerds

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Apparently chuds are cancelling the frontier for calling the enclave racist, which seems kinda bizarre bc they were always extremely racist? Like their whole Fallout 2 plan was to genocide the wasteland for not being genetically pure?

That being said considering the quality of frontier writing so far I imagine they probably botched the execution horribly.

FrancisFukyomama fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 23, 2021

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Gonna throw it out there that according to Old World Blues, the Courier has no loving idea what communism is. It just kind of makes me think a random wastelander wouldn't really be eager to throw around fascist like that.

Tbf isn’t it implied that a high INT courier in NV knows Latin? Since during the quest where you interrogate that legion spy you can speak entire lines of Latin if you pass the INT check. Still doesn’t change how badly written that line is but there’s a bunch of lines in FNV that imply different and contradictory backgrounds for the courier since their backstory is mostly developed through dialogue options.

I haven’t played the mod itself but the PC not being allowed to join the Enclave, which seems like another thing people hate the mod for, might work if the Enclave is the same motivations as their FO2 counterparts, where no matter the PC’s character or motivations, joining them would be literally suicidal and they wouldn’t want a subhuman wastelander to join anyways. Like Unity and the Legion were also pretty close to being as evil as possible but still made sense for a PC to join since there are no hard lines they refuse people for that the PC automatically fulfills (being a contaminated wastelander for Unity and being non human for Legion), but as flexible as the backstory for the Courier can be theres pretty much no scenario for them in which joining the enclave would result in anything other than the enclave telling them to gently caress off/immediately killing them.

Lurdiak posted:

Clearly you've never played Fallout 2.

The fallout 2 Enclave Vice President was literally Dan Quayle and I think one of the bad endings for the NCR was Enclave survivors rehabilitating themselves in shady sands and turning into a neocon faction in their Senate, which the game explicitly called right wing.

FrancisFukyomama fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 24, 2021

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Fame Douglas posted:

Imagine wanting to play some Fallout and you're getting the C-SPAM RPG, instead.

NV is pretty much the most C-SPAM rpg there was until Disco Elysium came out, though

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

There’s also this mod that recreates the FO1/2 travel system by giving you random encounters and stuff on the way to your destination https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/52129

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Bring back the Chosen One’s dynamic where everyone thinks you’re just a narcissist and bullies you bc of your title

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Gaius Marius posted:

Not saying your hearts not in the right place but have you seen how poo poo the previous goon mods for games are.

The big dumb goon gun pack that was made bc goons don’t give a poo poo about asking permissions for mod redistribution was good if morally ambiguous

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Ironslave posted:

Since I've played neither, has anyone been unfortunate enough to play all three, and if so how do BBD and NC stack up in the gross weirdness and bad ideas departments to the Frontier?

Beyond Boulder Dome was just really poorly written to a kinda cringey level. Like they saddle you with a mandatory companion that’s a weird manic pixie dream girl who keeps singing wizard of oz songs

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Groovelord Neato posted:

Kinda feel dumb for saying even if this was bad it wouldn't be New California bad.
wasnt new california also weirdly misogynistic and creepy? I played the intro when it first came out and they had you sext with a girl in another vault

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Fisto feels way less like the writer was horny about him than the barely legal 18 year old sex slave with stinky feet she talks about in immense detail though

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Didn’t fallout 3 let you join the enclave but it made zero sense from a story perspective since it meant you’d sabotage the water supply you’d be drinking and poison yourself for no gain and with no explicable character motivation? I know fallout 2 flat out didn’t let you join the enclave since it would be suicidal since theyd just kill you for being a wastelander. The people in the comments of that guy’s videos seem way too angry about that instead of all the insanely stupid poo poo in the rest of the mos

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

DaysBefore posted:

You didn't join, they still shot laser guns at you every time you saw them. But you could enact the robot presidents genocide plan despite the fact that since you were born outside a Vault it would also kill you lmao

To be honest don't get why so many people (other places, not here) are so hung up on not being able to join the Enclave in the Frontier. They are literally nothing more than fascists. At least the Legion has an in-setting reason for the way it behaves. The Enclave are just a holdover mishmash of 90s parody of American conservatives and obvious Nazi allegory. They've been killed to pieces multiple times and should never show up again tbh.

edit: Wait nevermind I just realised why nerds would want to join the fascist faction

Yeah their defining characteristic is that they hate wastelanders and want to kill tham

Like the legion you can easily come up with character motivations for the courier to join but the only reason you could possibly join the enclave is bc you’re the dang joker and want to kill yourself. Even then they wouldn’t let you join on account of their “kill all wastelanders” policy

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

OldMemes posted:

Caesar and The Master were interesting villains. You could have an actual debate with them in game and question their ideologies, and prove them wrong.

Joining the Master in FO1 was pretty plausible for the Vault Dweller, too, since they’d be guaranteed to mutate into one of the ultra intelligent supermutants and by that point would have gone from being a sheltered vault dweller to seeing how unforgiving the wasteland was for baseline humans.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

OldMemes posted:

Fallout has serious themes, and deals with dark subject matter.
Fallout also has silly themes, and deals with jokey subject manner.

The problem some modders have is that they try to handle both, and handle both of them badly. There's stuff where the editor should have said "nope".
That and they seemed to have shoved elements from Van Buren in with no context, whereas New Vegas recontextualized the elements and ideas they reused. There's a legion car in the mod that's based on a piece of concept art for a car from Van Buren/Black Isle's Fallout 4, and it doesn't fit the setting.

I kinda want someone to just make a 1:1 van buren remake if only bc at least they’d be using ropekids ideas and not be tempted to come up with their own

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

It feels like New Vegas is the plot of what would have been Fallout 4 had Van Buren been released, since assuming an NCR victory the endgame of Van Buren is the NCR consolidating their hold on the dam while the Legion is an up and coming faction.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I’ve been following the development of LWOTC, the long war 2 port for the xcom 2 expansion and its amazing how disciplined they are compared to nexus modders

It’s easily the biggest Xcom 2 mod, and it’s been technically out for 2 years by now(as in its playable from start to end and available for public download), but they’ve done no press releases, no hype and have more or less kept buzz about it to a small subreddit that they use to get bug feedback, to the point that even diehard long war fans don’t know it’s in production.

The reason is bc they don’t want to push out an unfinished product and have decided not to publicize the mod until it’s feature complete and doesn’t have any bugs, major balance issues or unintegrated expansion features that would affect playability.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Homeless Friend posted:

I was gonna say you could probably do enclave content somewhat interestingly in like a very early post apocalypse setting to be free from 1-3. but apparently thats what fallout 76 covers lol. so they hctually beat you to the punch already.

Didn’t fallout 3 partially explain the enclave being around by saying that there are enclave cells all over the country, with oil rig refugees stopping in Chicago and the like? I think Bethesda did that to keep the option of never doing a game without the enclave open

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

How good is TTW for it I just want a consequence free playground for my courier to go to if he wants to kill things. Like is travel to and from DC easy enough that I can pretend it’s just an incoherent fever dream?

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I heard that there’s a frontier quest where some union miners want to revolt and if they win the union bosses turn out to be just as bad as the mine owners

Really makes u think

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Arcsquad12 posted:

Did they play Outer Worlds recently?

I kinda feel like outer worlds being so underwhelming was bc people liked the political depth of NV so much they projected it to all the good fallouts, when looking back fallout 1, while well written, didn’t really have much more depth to its politics than your standard post apocalyptic setting. So simple both sides type stuff we probably should have expected from the fallout 1 writers. Though I never got too far into the game and if all the writing was poo poo and not just the world building than I’m probably in the wrong here

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Any of you know if there’s somewhere to get mirrors of the mods on the ttw site? I had been planning to try out the ttw version of Powered Power Armor but the mod maker removed it bc of compatibility issues with the current version. Which wouldn’t be an issue if he also made a fixed version, which he didn’t, which means I’m stuck with the 2011 vanilla NV version

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Lol in the union miners quest the union boss is called Dell Castron and the twist is him going “haha you thought I was just here to improve working conditions? I was actually evil commie vanguard Fidel Castro this whole time! Gulags for everyone!”
I know this bc the big frontier unofficial patch removes the twist bc the makers thought it was offensively stupid

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

What’s the best crafting/ammo overhaul? I vaguely remember CASE working with a lot of mods but also it requires some weird tool called Modfusion that doesn’t seem to have been updated since 2012. I’d like to be able to break down 40mm and craft all the unique GRA ammo types.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

CaptainPsyko posted:

Hello thread. It's about that time where I'm getting that itch to spend three weeks perfectly tuning a mod list for a game I haven't played in nearly a decade, and then spend 4 hours playing that game and forgetting about it until I need hard drive space and am wondering why that folder is 50 gigabytes a year from now.

SO! I understand that the cool hip thing to do is just follow the Viva New Vegas mod guide for the most part. Neat! This seems mostly in line with my own philosophy of mostly wanting a Vanilla+ type of experience, etc. etc., rather than exploring the various dark corners of nexusmods anime pederasty.

BUT, the VNV guide explicitly doesn't bother with any graphical enhancement stuff in the name of performance. That's all well and good, but I have a really sick gaming computer for the first time in forever, and I want to bring it to it's knees. But also, I don't want to gently caress around with too much jank either. With that in mind, is something like this texture mod and just set and forget my best option? Is there a better up to date guide for graphical updates that's compatible with/comparable to Viva New Vegas?

Additionally, a thing I remember fondly is radio mods that add more songs and make the whole thing less repetitive. What's the best option for that sort of thing?

Also also, I recall mods to delay DLC quest triggers until reaching specific levels/story breakpoints being a thing. What's the preferred one of those?

And finally, is using https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/71609 gonna break anything with the above?

If you want a wabbajack mod list that includes a bunch of graphical updates, the DCNV one includes everything set up for you, if you don’t mind installing fallout 3 along with it (the mod list starts you off in DC for some reason and I’d recommend just console commanding your way out)

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Any of you know how to troubleshoot leveled lists? I have both Weapons of the New Millenia + MTindle installed and Tammer's NIF Bashed Weapons and the latter only show up as like 1-2% of weapon drops (I went into god mode on a new game and started slaughtering fiends until i found a gun from the latter). I created a merged patch with FNVEdit and it seems to have combined everything so I'm at a bit of a loss.

Also, is there still a copy of the final beta of Naky's Armory floating around? I did like using that mod but Naky took it down a long time ago.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Nobody Interesting posted:

The automatic merged patch creation in FNVEdit produces interesting results and I don't recommend relying on it. You're going to need to manually merge the leveled lists, unfortunately.

Using wrye bash then, I’m assuming?

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Discendo Vox posted:

JSawyer New Varmint Shooting Extreme

Welcome to Josh Sawyer’s Varmint Challenge.
I am. Sawyer.
Please choose. The caliber. Of. Your rifle.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Anyone still have the WIP 2.9 build of the Armory? I know there are mods like weapons of the new millennia that are probably objectively better but I do miss the janky jagged alliance 2 1.13 ridiculousness of the armory. Plus, it was probably the only huge weapon pack that also included energy weapons and melee weapons instead of being exclusively tacticool nonsense

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

That dog head on the centaur is one happy fella

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Proletarian Mango posted:

Adding new weapons and items is simple enough, what you need to look out for though are the leveled lists, which are responsible for distributing items across the game. When you add new items to the game you will likely need to create a merged patch using Wrye Flash NV to avoid conflicts and losing out on your newly added items.

While this isn’t as good as a merged patch, it can be a good supplement to get any guns that slipped through the cracks or aren’t packaged with leveled lists https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/64149