Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I thought Chihayafuru was all the rage these days. Almost shounen in structure, it follows a young woman who learns to play Karuta competitively, as well as the tricky business of maintaining friends of the opposite gender. Running out of chapters is very painful, however.

I wish Sakamichi no Aporon was easier to find. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Toradora's author is writing a new series called "Golden Time", about a similar -- but older -- group of people, set at the university. The first book was quite excellent, and with any luck it will end up animated (or translated), so fans of Toradora get to enjoy it soon. Second novel is coming out in March, and I can't wait.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

rayk posted:

I kinda enjoyed Toradora despite the few pitfalls here and there. Hopefully this will be more along the lines of Honey & Clover. I would try tackling reading the light novel if it was a bit easier to look up Kanji (Why don't you like ebooks Japan???).

It's nothing like H&C, but it does feel more mature. Still pretty zany.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

AnacondaHL posted:

I hate Kimi ni Todoke (anime) in a similar inexplicably infuriating manner, but everyone in ADTRW seems to only speak positive of it. v:shobon:v

No, I couldn't stand it. Mostly because of differing ideas on what it "should have been", though, so maybe it doesn't count. I have the same relationship with Aria's anime.

Speaking of infuriating shoujo manga, you'd best stay away from Hadashi de Bara wo Fume. These "rape me gently" heroines are hard to stomach.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

I've been hiding from this thread to make sure I don't spoil myself on KnT, but I was browsing release dates at an online bookstore and noticed that the first volume of Golden Time's manga edition is coming out soon. Has it been scanlated yet? The fourth volume of the novel series is about to be released, and the stuff I've read so far has been really good.

It's by the same author as Toradora, if anyone remembers that.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

gmq posted:

What (completed/finished) anime/manga is like Kimi ni Todoke, Lovely Complex or Kare Kano?

It seems most shoujo series have unlikable characters, stupid premises or are not finished. :smith:

Not really like any of the above, but if you're looking for a superb shoujo romance manga that's completed, look no further than Please Save My Earth.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Help, I finished reading (what's out of) Chihayafuru, Kakukaku Shikajika, Koe no Katachi, Fujiyama-san, Taiyou no Ie and Kasane, so now I need your help to fill the void in my life. :(

I've been wondering if it might be time to get back into Kimi ni Todoke, since I stopped reading after vol 6, but somehow kept on buying it so I have up to volume 23 on my shelf. I'm too scared of being disappointed, since it was kind of the best thing ever until I ran out of released material way back then.

Is March Comes in Like a Lion worth attacking yet? I've got 10 volumes, but I'm guessing it's not quite finished yet, and I seem to have been waiting forever to start it.

Currently munching through Umimachi Diary, since it won an award or whatever. Bit depressing with all the dying parents and amputations and whatnot, though.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Mikl posted:

Oremonogatari. Do it.

Already enjoying the anime, so I'll have to wait for that to finish up first. Might check out her earlier work Koukou Debut, if that's worth the bother?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Hey guys, what's up guys, is Chihayafuru considered a josei or a shoujo manga, because JP Wikipedia calls it shoujo, but it seems to run in a josei magazine, and then there's this funny thing, like, the first bunch of volumes, there's barely any furigana, but then suddenly every goddamn word has furigana on it, but it might coincide with the release of the anime or something, so maybe they decided it was better suited as a shoujo manga with the new audience, so they decided to make it easier to read for kids??

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Allarion posted:

JP Wikipedia calls it josei though?

Edit: It's listed as 女性漫畫 which is josei. 少女漫画 is shoujo.

No, JP has it as 少女漫画. You're probably looking at CN wiki.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

If anyone else has been enjoying Dame na Watashi ni Koi Shitekudasai, you might like to know there's a jdrama adaptation starting next week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqEKW7tzJYI

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

You're all spoiling these titles, aren't you? :(

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

I'm a bit surprised Tomo-chan is so popular here given what the author posts on twitter.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

BattleCattle posted:

What does the author post on twitter?

I'm... not sure I can link to it without getting banned.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

I finished vol 4 of Koudaike no Hitobito and it just gets better and better. Wonderful series, especially once the granny shows up.

Also 8 volumes into DameKoi and it's still a nice read. The jdrama doesn't quite capture the banter for me, though.

Oh, and after 4 volumes of Koi wa Ameagari no You ni, it's still quite charming.

Gave Octave a volume, but it had kissing girls and that's just weird.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

*reads well known yuri manga*

Woah, girls kissing????

I didn't know. :(

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Considering where the story is at in vol 11 of March Lion, I feel like they might be doing one of those "synched anime/manga endings" things with it. Just hope they give it more than 12 episodes.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

I don't know if this will make you feel better, but the original Japanese line is:

「ママはたしかー28歳だよ」

where "tashika~" has this entry in the dictionary:

perhaps; probably; maybe; I think; I suppose; I dare say; I am sure; if I am not mistaken; if I remember right(ly); if my memory serves me (well).

So it's not necessarily an accurate fact.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Orange is getting an anime adaptation this summer, where the director did Steins;Gate, the screenwriter worked on Chihayafuru and the character designer on Sakamichi no Apollon.

Official website: http://orange-anime.com/

There's already a live-action adaptation out as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3QXIv1xvNc

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Everything Burrito posted:

I haven't read that one, how is it? I read Yume Miru Taiyou by the same author but didn't actually connect the two any time I saw it on CR, whoops.

I've only read the first volume (of 5, and it's finished), but it seemed fine. Didn't feel an urge to continue at the time, though.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

It's in the discussion IMO for best currently running manga.

I-It's better than Garasu no Kamen and Yotsuba and so on?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Fujiyama-san is apparently over now, so I guess you won't have to cry about her boobies in your manga anymore.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

darkgray warning: there are girls kissing

Thanks. Is it the "lily" bit that gives it away?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

I was looking at the nominees for the Manga Taishou 2016 and decided to check out Machida-kun no Sekai by Andou Yuki. Only 3 volumes out so far, but it's quite wonderful as a relaxed, fluffy romcom with lots of family stuff, about a kind high school guy who's really good at noticing people. Recommended read if you feel like you could use a few extra smiles in your day.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

As an aside March Comes in Like a Lion isn't really romance or Josei, it's Seinen (runs in the same magazine as Berserk) and almost 100% just a straight up drama/tragedy.

Er, how far have you read to make these statements?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

As of chapter 66 which is the current scanlated chapter that is a statement I will stand by. I have no clue how far behind that is from the serialization but I would be very surprised if it shifted in that direction, given what has happened thus far.

There are 115+ chapters out. Romance elements start showing up in later volumes, anyway. Not that I know where the boundaries lie between "romance" and "drama".

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Is it really too much to ask that people spoiler tag these titles?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

is that another joke like the girls kissing thing was

No, I just prefer not knowing if they end up together or not before it happens. It's like people asking for titles where the partner dies, and then I have to pray I've already read everything suggested.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Like 75% of shoujo romance is all about Will They End Up Together Or Not, and if you mention a bunch of titles where the initial premise isn't specifically "A Cute Couple", then it constitutes a major spoiler. One blatant example would be Taiyou no Ie, to me.

Is it so surprising that there are readers who like not knowing until it happens? It's one thing if it's dealt with in like 2-3 volumes, but some of the titles mentioned are quite late development spoilers.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

I'm having trouble thinking of anything where I had some sort of concern or uncertainty that the two characters identified as The Main Couple in the first chapter wouldn't end up together, even if for the bulk of the story they aren't. Every now and then one might throw you a curve or have a really well-constructed (or annoying and frustrating) love triangle that creates some uncertainty but I don't think anyone in here has ever openly spoiled one like that. The ones mentioned all had pretty well telegraphed couples, even if there was a rival present.

It's not a matter of will they end up with other people. I've read a bunch of stories where they just never end up together at all, because of Circumstances. One super sweet romance concluded with the guy moving to goddamn Canada. I like having the unknown carry dramatic tension throughout the story. Giving me the definitive statement that they'll be a couple at the end completely destroys this tension, and reduces the power of the reading experience. Why is this so weird?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

What is the significance of the scrunchies on the classroom number thing? I assume that's outright a cultural thing.

Jun hung their hairbands there because it's too high to reach when you're a tiny gurl. It's easier to understand when you see the last panel, which was inexplicably cut from the linked image.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Alder posted:

Based off a JDrama and it kinda works as a manga series too.

http://mangastream.com/manga/okitegami

It's based off of a novel series that got adapted as a jdrama. Same author as Bakemonogatari and Katanagatari, but a lot milder.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Davincie posted:

im growing tired of the dame wa mc (and her mean family jeez) and am about ready for it to end but it still has at least 2 untranslated volumes, wtf!

If ch21 is the latest translated, it's only covered the first chapter of vol 6, and vol 9 is coming out in a couple of weeks. So closer to 4 volumes, I guess.

Maybe it helped to read it all in one sitting, but I've enjoyed it so far, even if the rape (?) felt weird.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

"Traditionally", wives of Samurai trained to use the Bow and Naginata to defend their homes, so it's stuck around in modern japanese pop culture.

Speaking of which, there's a fantastic sports manga called Asahi Nagu about an all-girls naginata club, dealing beautifully with senpai-kouhai relationships, while also doing the training and tournament stuff. Bit of romance too, but I particularly love how it portrays the events surrounding generational changes in a school club, when the old senpais graduate, the kouhais become the new senpais, and how they now have to raise their own fresh kouhais. The only problem is that it seems to have 3 chapters translated, and there are already 19 volumes out. I pray that it gets an anime soon, because it's so good.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Does Please Save My Earth count? Shoujo sci-fi/supernatural something or other. Probably ten years since I read it, but I remember loving it.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

The only bummer is that it's probably at least another couple of months before dumb english speakers like myself have any practical means of seeing it.

Movies usually take 6-9 months to come out on BD, so it'll likely take much longer than that.

Looking at 2ch reactions, people who read the manga seem disappointed it couldn't cover more material, though. And it's been toned down or something.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Truga posted:

Shoujo is super easy to read because it's got a lot of furigana. :v:

This reminds me of the curious case of Chihayafuru, which had no furigana at all (other than for names) up until the 14th volume of the manga, which also coincides with the release of the anime adaptation, where it suddenly got furigana slapped on every single kanji. I wonder if it started out as josei and got rebranded as shoujo or something.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Anyone read Tokyo Tarareba Musume by Akiko Higashimura? Noticed there was suddenly a jdrama adaptation airing. Worth a look?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

I've been going through some of the Manga Taishou 2017 titles, and just read the first two volumes of Watashi no Shounen. Not entirely sure what thread it should go in, since BookLive stuffed it in the josei genre, while it's somehow ranked #2 on the guy side of Kono Manga ga Sugoi 2017 making seinen more fitting? But then it seems to be going toward some kind of strange romance, because the author was muttering something about Ashton and Demi's marriage in the afterword, so maybe this is the place after all.

Anyway, it's about a 30-year-old woman who befriends a lonely 12-year-old boy over soccer, and worries about him a bunch while feeling awkward about their relationship, since she shouldn't really be butting in on his family issues. Meanwhile a girl in the boy's class takes note of the woman, and things seem to be spiralling into complexity. As someone who once was a real 12-year-old boy, the character feels peculiar to some degree, but then it was apparently planned as an older man / young girl story at first, so maybe that has something to do with it. Reasonably pleasant read so far, in any case. Maybe it'll eventually become a half-finished anime adaptation that people can enjoy while pretending the manga ending doesn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

coathat posted:

Tokyo Tareraba Girls is insanely good. Buy now.

http://kodanshacomics.com/series/tokyo-tareraba-girls/

Why read when you can watch the jdrama?!! http://www.ntv.co.jp/tarareba/