Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

YeahTubaMike posted:

Artie and ETM brought out the best in each other.

Zero. Point. Zero.

Artie's rendition of that whole scene was fantastic and listening to how badly it pissed ETM off was magical. Truly a piece of radio history that can never be topped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Bonzo posted:

Someone finally threw worse than Gary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2SaHkU2aZ0

oh my god it hit that guy right in the cock

also Shuli getting told he wasn't funny might have been the best Stern show bit (even though it wasn't really a bit) I've heard in a long time. desperately needed Shuli-related owning.

haljordan posted:

Carolla just comes off like a whiny dick

This is, in essence, the Adam Carolla experience. He sucks now.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

just heard the ETM homo room bit for the first time I think ever, I was cackling in the car. Eric hanging up twice but then playing along to go down to the "heterosexual room" was classic ETM

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

all i can think about is jeez, dana really dodged a loving bullet. talk about incredible foresight. not that art wasn't a shithead boob back then, but boy howdy has he degenerated

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

haljordan posted:

I was listening to a Best of Artie pack the other day and one of the bits was Artie talking about an argument he had with Dana. He was saying how he told her how he never wants to get married, but it isn't a big deal because he'll buy her a big house and hire a maid and pay for everything and that "she doesn't need to work" and "he'll take care of everything." Gary tried to explain to Artie how incredibly demeaning this was to Dana but Artie had no fuckin' idea what he was talking about.

I'm probably not explaining it well, but Artie came across as basically telling Dana "Pff, your bullshit teacher job is garbage, why would you want to work?!"

that's just classic artie, too. throw money at someone and they'll like you. subconsciously even he knew there was little to no redeeming quality to his personality

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

"I was gonna call the guy and take him out for lunch, I knew things were bad but I had no idea it was like THAT"

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

baba booey has transcended the HSS between my friends and now it's just a catchall term for when something exciting/sad/disappointing/good/literally anything happens.

watching sports games together typically devolves into shouting "that's a real fa fa fooey right there" at the TV when something noteworthy happens

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

the baba booey drop and the "who gives a poo poo, who gives a gently caress" are my top 2 heavy hitters

DOUCHE. gets a close third

barnold fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 19, 2018

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

high pitch saying "how big are your balls" during the calls to ETM gets me every loving time. can't stop laughing. just had to go back and give that whole bit another listen after someone mentioned the Kelly Clarkson call.

"I'm gonna drop your pants and spit on it, ooooohhhhhh yeeeeaaaaa"

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Squashy Nipples posted:

Nope. They might have been inspired by a live call to Langford, but as soon as they decided to start an organized campaign of harassment, they had Sour in just to record a bunch of drops.

Richard (I think) says in the opening to the bit that they were live calls at first, but having to conference Sour into the call was tough and took too long, so they went to the pre-recorded drops

7:03, Sal says "At first we would have to conference Sour and get him on, but it was too much work"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tZk5IgD0hk

barnold fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 27, 2018

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

baba bobo

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

I'm glad that I became a fan of a radio show with rabid fans that catalogue and compile practically every show off every year because I don't think I'll ever run out of content, seriously. sometimes I think about what would have happened if I ended up a fan of some other lovely radio show

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

I wonder what the world record is for amount of baba booeys said in 5 minutes. I think I can break it

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Grant DaNasty posted:

immortal anime listen, I just want you to know I that I want to go to jail for this.

tag yourself, i'm the emotional voice crack as langford says "did you know that these calls could be considered HARASSMENT and ILLEGAL", trying not to cry

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what the EFF is going on???????

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

rub your smurf cock on the phone! gently caress me, midget!

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

I hope this doesn't bother you, but I've been wondering what you look like naked!

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

You can release liability for stuff that the Stern Show does. It's not the same thing as signing a contract that exempts them from illegal stuff. I don't necessarily have a ton of experience on the legal side but as someone who has worked in broadcast radio, there are things you can do especially w/r/t satellite radio that cover liability and the rules are totally different. It's fairly complex and probably costs a good penny in legal counsel on the part of Sirius, but that's what raked in the dough, so I'm sure that Sirius did its part in sufficiently covering their bases.

It's not like the depravity of the show was totally unlimited, even at its raunchiest. It's like if an actress tried to sue an actor for a scripted sexual assault scene. Is sexual assault still illegal? Sure. Does the context qualify it as a sexual assault? Not really, but it depends on a lot of factors.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Hit em with the Heeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

okay stern fans itt, if you could conceive a Howard Stern-themed pinball table, what kind of things would you want to see on it? currently designing a pinball table for just that purpose and it's been a lot of fun coming up with ideas for the goals of the table. maybe targets that spell "BABA BOOEY"? some kind of jackpot that involves Hitting Em With The Hein? we're currently in the stage of prototyping playfield elements and getting the actual layout of the game done, but I figure it would be nice to get the jump on the graphics and maybe come up with some pretty cool poo poo. right now we've got some core elements done, like ramps and ball physics:

currently yes, everything looks like poo poo because we're still using placeholder materials and the graphic elements are mostly just for show/made us laugh when we were constantly testing shots and had to hear the "baba booey" drop every time the ball went down an outlane

right now we've got the following ideas being implemented:
-bumpers that have ETM's head on them and say "ack" when hit
--------or spinners that have his head on them, haven't decided
-a "Hey Now" ramp
-a special Hein jackpot target

some stuff is a really obvious inclusion in a Stern pinball table, but it's been fun to see what moments or elements of the show really fit with the idea of a pinball table. i've wanted to make a Stern themed table for a long time and use all uncensored clips just for fun because pinball tables don't usually swear at the player

barnold fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 9, 2018

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

For ideas:

- a sour shoes "OOOOOOoooooh!" when you get a big bonus
- Steve Langford saying "I want you to go to jail" when you lose, OR, randomly having one of Artie ETM shutdowns play when that happens "Ok, gbye buddy." "Yeah, we'll see ya". "Take that club foot and shove it up your rear end".
- as your total score is being tallied at the end, have Beet rambling 'yeah, 250 lbs. Yeah, 300lbs... 450 lbs."
- "Douche" has to be in there.
- some sort of relevant bigfoot quote, it is.
- if you lose during a bonus, your end report, with the low score of nothing won, should have "zero. point. zero." played overtop.

the Artie ETM shutdown is an amazing idea. right now "DOUCHE" plays when the ball falls down the right out lane, and Scott The Engineer's "bullshit, man!" plays when it falls out the left

the Zero Point Zero anti-bonus is also incredible, I can't believe I didn't think of that. I've started writing some of the scoring subroutines, and that's going to be in there for sure

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

If the player barely shoots the ball at the start, so it doesn't even make it up into the board, have Robin say "Four inches is fine!"

EDIT: OK, I don't know how, but you NEED the Mike Walker fart in there. And maybe the conga playing, looped.

Hitting the bumpers x amount of times starts Walker Mode - a little screen animation plays and "Can I tell you my favorite Matt Dillon story real briefly?" plays. Then, you have 15 seconds to hit the bumpers as many times as you can, and each time the fart sound blasts through the speakers. The background music for Walker Mode will be the conga playing.

Holy gently caress, I knew posting about this in here was a good idea.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

It's gonna take some time - a lot of time, in fact - but I'm already so far in that it's hard to not want to bring this whole project to completion. Will probably need to outsource some graphic design for the playfield background and object textures, the rest for the most part can be a one-man show. Here's some test footage of what's going on so far (uh, definitely don't play this video out loud at work):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_21lNgZXes

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Sand Monster posted:

Anytime you have a score that ends in a 9, please make it audibly say "noine".

The only problem with this is that incremental scoring by 1s is not very popular as it's generally not liked from a gameplay perspective and makes things more difficult for scripting events. Right now, for example, this table's lowest point value for a target is 250 and the highest is 50,000. Generally tables use 10s as their lowest number, so I could potentially have that happen if the score hits "noinety"?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Kragger99 posted:

Will the table have nudging/tilt options?
I think Pinball FX makes a noise if you nudge the table as a warning - on the 3rd warning (within a certain timeframe - 30 seconds?), it will fully tilt, and you lose control of the flippers.
If so, maybe 1st warning - Sour Shoes oooOOOOhhh!
2nd warning - A Benji scream/whine, or maybe Iron Sheik screaming "gently caress's You!"
Tilt: WET oval office!

Yup! Right now the actually physical nudging of the table is built into Visual Pinball's engine, it's the nudge/tilt events themselves that just need to be scripted.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Also, you know when you watch a clip from the show, and it's got that grunge guitar/bass/drum loop playing, based off of the HowardTV theme? That's what should be playing in the background. I know music licensing can get crazy, so I realize this might not be feasible, but man, it'd be awesome if it could be done.

I already tried to find even a regular copy of Brian Fay's HTV theme song and it looks like the people at Sirius really got on top of taking poo poo down because I haven't found a non-lovely suitable copy of it anywhere. Might have to go into the studio and record one myself. Just go for a Manson-themed song with a circus twist.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Smeep posted:

I want to play right now!

I could send you the VPX file and the music if you want. All you have to do is download Visual Pinball and put the two table files in the proper folder. It's really really unpolished but the core gameplay and table design is there, and most importantly the scoring.

There's no ball or game states yet, so you'd have to keep track of how many balls you've played, but that's about it. It's playable in the current state.

I would love to help with this, if you need any! It's kind of what I do, outside of my day job.

Hey, I'm all for a little volunteer work on this unlicensed and unofficial project. I can't make any promises that the finished table will have any of the polish that a proper table would as this is my first foray into table design, but I would definitely put any music to very good use!

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Sand Monster posted:

Suggested sound effect when your ball gets put into play: High Pitch Mike's "this is now a party!" line.

I feel like there should be a rotation of "ball start" sfx. Right now it's LETS gently caress SOME WHORES!, but I like this idea as well as the aforementioned ones.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Squashy Nipples posted:

Everyone is forgetting that good pinball design is about progressions. So I suggest a main target that needs to be hit a number of times, think of the magic box in Theatre Of Magic or the castle gate in Medieval Madness.

There are a serious of different people/wackpackers lit up in a tower, sort of like the ranks in The Sopranos, except that each person is a series of laughs, each one getting longer and more insane. Lets say you need four hits to advance (or spot) the next rank: first 4 Jackie laughs, then 4 Jackie Puppet laughs, 4 Quivers laughs, 4 Betel laughs, 4 Gilbert laughs, 4 Sour Shoes laughs, and finally 4 Ronnie laughs. Or maybe the final rank is Howard? His laughs aren't as iconic , but it would make sense to have him be the final rank before the wizard mode.

And what about the wizard mode?

You're not wrong about progression. The major limiting factor is my relative inability to code VBScript, which is what Visual Pinball uses to script tables, and that doesn't even touch the real-world equivalents (it's a lot of machine code to control the solenoids and poo poo, Stern Pinball is also now using some C as well in some ROMs I believe). I am not a real pinball designer, just a guy who's spent a lot of quarters. I have to learn to walk before I can run, so I'm trying to keep the whole thing within the scope of what I can reasonably actually produce. Progression is a really really good thing, but it also exponentially increases the difficulty in programming.

I think that defeating Wack Packers all the way up to Howard is definitely the way to go in terms of progression, then it just comes down to how many targets and combo shots I can fit on the table.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Odddzy posted:

What's this about progression in pinball games? I don't know anything on the subject but is there a video somewhere that you guys can post that describes classic pinball tables and how to ''win'' them?

It's all table specific. Look up any major movie pre-1998 and they probably made a pinball table for it. There are tons of videos on YouTube that show you a full tutorial on each table, I highly recommend anything by Bowen Kerins, a 3-time world champion who uploads a fuckton of tutorials. Here's an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlXFzn4uzGQ

I just met Bowen in person at a pinball club I go to. His mind is loving crazy. He can hit any shot on any table at will. Watching him play almost makes me demotivated to get better.

Also, if the pinball derail is getting to severe, just let me know and I can stop. But the idea of a Stern table was just too good not to post about here

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Bride Of Pinbot is a classic. If I had to make a list for anyone interested in pinball, these tables are 100% certified Must Plays:

-Funhouse
-Pinbot (and its sequels, such as Bride)
-Terminator 2: Judgement Day
-The Addams Family
-The Twilight Zone
-World Cup Soccer
-Tales of the Arabian Nights

oh, and Howie of course, my Howard Stern themed pinball table, when it becomes a real thing. you'll find it in all the arcades worldwide, I'm sure :allears:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

I'm always tempted to try and slip a baba booey into the log somewhere at work but I know someone would inevitably find it and be very upset that they got baba booeyed and I'll get yelled at

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

For some reason Chrome doesn't work with that dumb tinyupload site, Chrome keeps grabbing "download.htm" instead of the actual files, so thanks for hosting those on Google Drive.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

airwave polluter!

I just had to go back and watch howieweird squares to listen to Underdog Lady in her prime. the impression was spot on, right down to the little autistic nuances in her speech

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Squashy Nipples posted:

Call me crazy, but Underdog wasn't a bad looking woman in her youth.

..........no. what the hell is wrong with you?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

so what are the rules? I'm allowed to drop one baba booey per day? or only IA gets to say baba booey?

can I hit em with the hein?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

how can IA be the sole person that decides on whether or not the rest of us say baba booey? I'm gonna say baba booey until he signs off for the last time at Sirius and rides into the sunset. when Howard retires is when the baba booey gag dies, not some random chucklefuck forgetting to post on an internet forum. I have no idea how this even became a problem in the first place since I only found this thread like a few months ago so my opinion probably doesn't mean poo poo

but can I tell you my favorite Matt Dillon story real briefly? *fart*

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

quick update on Howard Stern Pinball: the playfield design is more or less finalized, I have rudimentary gamestate code that right now handles a 3-ball, one player game. there is now a jackpot bonus for hitting all the targets. the gameplay isn't very deep yet, but I'm getting the basic functions of the table working before trying to nail down the complex stuff. next I'm gonna start designing the actual board itself, the playfield elements, all graphic design stuff to make it look nice and remove the placeholder textures from before.

still torn between a caricature of all the HSS characters in the center and that hilarious cutout of Howard with the crazy afro hair

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Odddzy posted:

You should post some pictures whenever you want. :)

There are some a few pages back, but here it is. The visuals are really lovely because I've mostly just focused on the physics and playfield design, as well as the scripting.

The really cool thing about Visual Pinball as an engine is that it has the ability to export solid blueprint files, so that you can actually print it out with a large format printer and turn your digital tables into real life equivalents. Here's what the Howie blueprint looks like:

Pictures don't really do the table justice because right now a lot of the game relies around sound effects, lights flashing, and things that pop up on the back display.

Kragger99 posted:

*raises hand* Yup, I'll do some alpha/beta testing if needed!

If you're genuinely interested in giving Howie a shot in its alpha state, all you have to do is download the Visual Pinball X engine from here: http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=11573

I can send you the Howie zip through Google Drive or whatever, then all you have to do is extract it and plop it in the Tables folder wherever you installed VPX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Pink and purple are the default materials for most of the engine's objects. They have a few decent metal and rubber textures but for the most part, you have to make it all yourself