Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Volitaire posted:

Oh sweet a megathread. Well to start us off I have a question for some DQ vets. I'm about to finish DQ8 and I really, really liked it. It's the first DQ game I've played and I heard that its the most accessible in the series. So now I'm thinking of picking up 6 but I'm wondering if someone could gimme the low down on how it compares to 8, or perhaps recommend other games in the series that are most similar to 8. I'd assume that 9 is the closest mechanics wise, but I've read some reviews and it doesn't really seem like its for me. I could be convinced otherwise though.

6 is most similar to 7, which is basically the same system (which is rather grindy) but drawn out to take twice as much time to complete. A lot of people didn't like 7 as a result, because they didn't want to spend 100+ hours to finish the game. I liked 6 the most in the series, but most would probably disagree. I don't know what changes there are to the DS version, yet.

5 is somewhat similar to 8, but with less character customization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Terpfen posted:

Second, DQ5 and 6 are roughly equivalent in quality in my view. 5 has an overall better plot, 6 has a better battle system and has more of an adventurous feeling. Even if one doesn’t think 6 is as good as 5, it’s not 1.9 points worse.

Unless they changed something drastically in the DS version, 6 has the best gameplay in the whole series. It ends up being about if you genuinely like RPG gameplay or not; if you don't particularly like RPGs you will without a doubt hate 6. If you trudge through them because you like the way they present stories, you might be a little disappointed. If you are an old school RPG enthusiast and like RPGs because you like to play RPGs (quite honestly very few people who grew up with more modern games are) then 6 has the best take on the old system. It is grindy, but not too grindy like 7. You have more customization than anything by 7, which leads to the most variations on gameplay. Most of the game is very challenging and hard to cheese or overpower through, and the fact that the customization is open-ended could make for some interesting handicapped playthroughs. The length is also very appropriate, and there is a fair amount of hidden and post game stuff to do.

So basically anyone who gives this game a mediocre or bad review simply has straight up disdain for classic style console RPGs.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Holy poo poo. That looks the most polished a dragon quest game has ever been in terms of presentation. I hope they find a way around regional protection, or release it here shortly.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Original DQ3 is fine. You just power level whenever you need to by fighting late game monsters (the masked dudes called "avenger" in the english ver) early on and sleeping them, then boosting your stats super high with magic. You can do so anytime after you get to the second continent.

Or frameskip when you need levels.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Any word on if service will be available to people outside of Japan yet? Japanese game companies like to IP block/etc overseas access.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I picked up a copy of this today at a local bookstore for about this same price as listed here:

http://www.play-asia.com/Dragon_Quest_25th_Anniversary_Monster_Illustration_Book/paOS-13-71-lt-49-en-70-4lip.html

Pretty nice book, it contains references to 99.9% of the monsters to ever appear in a dragon quest title up until before Terry's Wonderland and X. It will probably be a limited run, so those interested should try to get their hands on it within a few months.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I hope they offer the ability to purchase service for this abroad. If so, I might try to play it. It seems like a very "loose" MMO from what I gathered watching that video, IE, about as much of an MMO as Diablo III maybe? Or possibly more so, but it probably feels like a single player game at heart.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Alright, who is in for DQX? I am on the fence.

Apparently, there is an IP block. However, you can bypass it with VPN. If I could find some people to play with, I might be compelled to go in, however I would want people that know at least a fair amount of Japanese to play with.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
No one playing DQM2 on 3DS, eh?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Have about 110 hours logging in DQM3ds 2 so far, and it is easily better than the first. It sucks that they probably won't end up localizing it here, because it really is designed to be a game you can play for hundreds of hours with all the network modes: Weekly GPs, Challenge GPs, Community Battles, and Ranked Wi-fi Battle.

I'm currently going about 5 wins per every loss in Ranked Wi-fi using my diamond slime tank + all monsters with characteristics that CC enemies for one round randomly strategy, but I assume i'll eventually reach a level where I can't dominate.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Evil Fluffy posted:

^^^ I hope it comes over here, but the DQM games don't seem to catch on anywhere close to the degree Pokemon does. It's a shame because DQM Joker was fun on the DS and really only lost its luster with the usual horrifically tedious post game grinding. DQ9's really bad for it too but I managed to snag the map with the metal king floor in it, and I imagine that saved me dozens if not hundreds of hours of potential grinding.

It takes like 10 min to get a monster to level 100 in this iteration if you know what you are doing, so no grind there. I guess the most grindy part is gaining the materials you need to upgrade your weapons to the fullest, and getting 3 star weapons from randomized keys (number of star corresponds to how many times you can upgrade it). Once you've actually created maps for all the mats you need and all the 3 star weapons, it gets easier.

Arcaeris posted:

I'm ordering it soon, but reviews say you need to use Streetpass or whatever to interact with other 3DSs to get keys to other worlds. Lame.

You can make your own keys, but beating someone in a street pass battle also gives you whatever key they have selected to distribute, and most of my best keys are ones i've gotten from other people. I was annoyed by not having people to street pass at first, until I figured out that you can street pass people randomly through ranked and unranked (free) wi-fi battles. The only way foreigners are limited right now is that we can't get the Nintendo Zone exclusive monsters, which will probably be added as wi-fi gift maps later on. The monsters themselves are kinda lackluster, but they have some of the best SP rank general skills in the game, which is frustrating when trying to make top 100 in the GPs or compete at high-end ranked.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Let's talk order of best to worst

III - The classic, series-off-the-ground quintessential Dragon Quest
IX - Good fusion of classic Dragon Quest job system with poor DQ8 system fixed it's problems, modernized w/ download content and loads of endgame stuff (for now)
VII - Better version of DQ6, 3DS remake gets rid of kinks w/ pieces and adds more content
VI - Most grindy DQ, turning point between old DQ and modern DQ
IV - More story driven DQ, low due to losing out the nostalgia battle (NES 4 had crippling AI problems, so it loses out to NES 3)
VIII - Modernized DQ aesthetically, but job system was kicked back several pegs and felt too much like old DQ
V - A combination of DQ3 and 4, didn't really add much to the series
I - Dated classic
II - Taking the first game and making it more complex, difficulty issues, etc

Disagreements? All versions are considered to be their respective remakes, which are all better than the originals.

Edit: I should list reasons

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 3, 2014

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Evil Fluffy posted:

You really need to go play DQ6. If there's a successor to DQ3's layout (and class system) it's DQ6. DQ7 goes a bit too far with class complexities but its still is also pretty nice.

Alternately, play the SFamicom DQ3 remake because it's DQ3 with solid graphics, animation, and music.

Play it with 3 other people. Your party is actually just other celestials who aren't stupid or Tien from Dragonball Z. When I played it with friends it basically ended up as Gohan, Bulma, pseudo-Krillin, and some generic NPC saving the world. :angel:

I see you left out DQX. That was probably for the best. I'm not sure how you consider DQ6 grindy and DQ7 improved upon. DQ7 was long as gently caress and you fought all along the way. I'd probably put 7 below 4. The NES AI problems were bad but they were fixed up in remakes and you could also just go with manual control if you wanted.

DQ8's job system was a new layout, which DQ9 combined with the DQ3 job system more or less. It's interesting but I'd take DQ 6 or 7's systems over 9's given the choice.

7 on the 3DS is too fresh in my head to remember how the original was. Basic jobs level up like 3 times as fast in the remake, which makes the grinding much more tolerable. Also, it means you can do all your basic jobs first then just do 3 or 4 advanced ones in a row.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Arcaeris posted:

Yeah but the way classes work has changed completely.

You don't keep skills between advanced classes anymore, except monster classes, so this forces you to hit monsters classes hard if you want to be anywhere near as powerful as in the original version. It's definitely easier to level up jobs, but if you lose all your Sage spells when you switch to a Superstar (to get the advanced tier next), then what's the point?

I found myself grinding monster hearts so I could get everyone "HealUs" that would actually stick around through class changes.

The super-advanced classes (Hero, God-hand, Tenchiraimeishi) had you re-learn most of the stuff you learned on the way up once again. You could keep Hustle Dance that way, which was almost as good. The heart grinding was pretty much post-game content.

On an unrelated note, the official guide for DQM2 is out now, and after my assessment of the info inside, I estimate it would take at least 2000+ hours to 'platinum' the game, making it the most ridiculous DQ series game ever (Not sure about X, haven't played it). Some of the more difficult titles include stuff like win 9999 battles, breed 1000 monsters, and scout 1000 monsters. The bullshit impossible ones include stuff like Ranking high in both weekly GP tournaments (there are several for each of these, which is stupid. IE, 1st place, 2nd place, and 8th place), winning 9999 street pass battles, getting 9999 points in the Ranked Wi-fi battles, Upgrading a weapon 1000 times (I have 200 hours played and still double digits only in upgrades), and getting 100 members + 9999 battles in a community you yourself created.

I don't know if anyone will ever 100% this.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
They are fools for not planning on localizing DQM2 here. I've gotten more play out of that game (300 hours or so) than probably the combined sum of all other non-Monster Hunter series games on the 3DS since its release. The competitive multi-player features are way better than any Pokemon has ever been, and it takes quite a while to get through both parts of the main story as well.

Then again, I also played the free Dragon Quest web game for what amounts to probably 30 or more hours, so I am possibly too Dragon Quest fan boy. Most of playing that was just to get bonus maps for DQM2, in my defense.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 09:22 on May 29, 2014

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jackard posted:

Does this series have any better games than DQ9 that can be played on 3DS?

DQ9 has been pretty linear so far, but I'm mostly disappointed with the slow-paced combat and leveling. They put a lot of work into these combat animations that I just cannot care about.

DQ7, Terry's Wonderland, and Iru/Luca's Mysterious and Wonderful Key. All ones that aren't out in America and probably never will be.

Every time I go to a huge convention or gaming event and don't see any DQ merch at sqex, it just solidifies the idea that they are abandoning it in NA. Also, there is something about the mobile phone releases that rubs me in the wrong way. Probably font/graphics issues.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Evil Fluffy posted:

FF3 is unsalvageable garbage in all of its forms. FF2's remakes fix the game greatly and while it's still not a good game, the FF2 remake is far better than any version of FF3 to ever get squeezed out of the Squaresoft/Enix orifice.

The only good thing to come out of FF3 is the Crystal Tower in FF14.

FF3 was an extremely well made and challenging RPG for its time. FF2 was the one that was generally and rightfully regarded as garbage.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Himuro posted:

Yes, but it was an easy re-translation. Not much time nor effort required. Something like 7 or the 3ds Monsters titles require a lot more effort and man power, man power that probably won't be worth the investment. Announcing a new Monsters title or gently caress, DQX for pc, would put a lot of faith into the fan base. DQ seems done in America. A big question I've got is whether or not 5 and 6 are coming to mobile in English. After all, those translations were done by Nintendo and not Square Enix. It doesn't bode well at all.

DQM 1/2 and 7 are all games that have no voice over work or anything that would muck up a localization. A team 3 or 4 people could probably have every line of text in the game translated and ready for insertion in a working week, or less. It's really mind boggling why such minimal effort projects that would undoubtedly sell at least 100k or more copies are being avoided.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Naw, the standard practice for localization as far as I know is exporting an XML file that has everything in it, which is just blanket translated; the majority of the translating is probably done in days, or a couple of weeks tops, with fine touches coming later. While DQ7 is a long game, the dialogue tends to be pretty PG level and basic. As for DQM, those games have rather short stories, so there isn't very much substance to translate. DQM Joker also sold extremely well, I believe, so not bringing one of the DQMs for 3DS over to Americas and Europe is just straight up poor decision making.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Himuro posted:

According to this:

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/official-september-08-npd-thread.172317044/

DQIV sold 35k-ish in its first month of sale.

However, it took four months for it to reach 76k life to date:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/life-to-date-npd-software-numbers-26820226/

I really doubt it sold double that after that point. It seems quite a stretch and I doubt that 140k number. According to your link, they got their sources from vgchartz. vgchartz is an undocumented web site that does not get official sales data. They tend to tally how many were sold at local gamestops. Yeah. Don't trust any game sales stat that was "sourced" by vgchartz.

RE: 20k number. I may be thinking of DQV ds. It's been a lonnnng time.

DQM Joker sold over 200k in North America, though.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/3145/dragon-quest-monsters-joker/

That seems like a profitable margin for a DQ game - one that isn't even a main title at that.

Adam Bowen posted:

It's incredible that people think localizing a game just means translating a big XML file. What about QA, manufacturing, shipping, marketing, or working with retailers to actually get the product on store shelves?

Well yeah, there are other phases to localization. I'm just implying that as far as an RPG type game goes, Dragon Quest games seem like they should be vastly easier to localize because the translation phase requires far less work when there is lack of voice acting to worry about, and many streamlined elements in each game. Now, the best way to do this would be to have the same team work on many different games at once, for the sake of consistency and familiarity. I suppose the process doesn't go quite as smoothly if roles changed each title.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm really annoyed about the release of that LE ps4. It was originally supposed to come out early next year to coincide with the release of the actual game, but it was pushed up to next month which means I won't be able to afford it, with holiday shopping season abound and all. LEs like that in Japan tend to be the type of thing that you either buy right away or pay out the rear end for. Given that it would already cost more than $500 USD to import that thing day one, it could easily climb to close to/over a grand when supply dwindles.

Maybe they will release a steady supply, but I doubt it.

Edit: That playasia price is pretty funny. I stopped shopping there when I realized they gouge to the extreme. The average 3ds game costs up to 25% cheaper from the estore or other vendors.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Nov 24, 2014

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

thorsilver posted:

As someone who has a JP 3DS and every currently available DQ game with it, you should do this. The DQ Monsters remakes in particular are loving phenomenal, with vastly improved gameplay, more monsters and gorgeous visuals.

Bear in mind there's basically no English guides for these that I've found. But if you can cope with that, just buy that poo poo now, don't wait! You won't regret it.

I was working on a DQM 2 guide. Lost interest in making it extremely detailed based on how much demand there was for it at the time, but it'll help you out if you don't read japanese.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Meh, I wish they would come out with a new title or another monsters game on the 3ds instead of remaking DQ8. If I had to play any DQ game again, I think 8 would be the last on my list, despite only playing it once. It was out of place as a DQ game. I think SQE might be facing similar directional conflicts to the ones that Konami are facing right now, which has me seriously concerned for the future of the series.

Side note: Just realized that the respective "worst" games in both FF and DQ are 2 and 8.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Luceo posted:

No game with Yangus can be the worst of anything. And you're also wrong about FF. :colbert:

The 8's are at the least, the most different for both as far as the core gameplay goes; one is a game that revolves around a junction system that is extremely broken and offers very little substance, the other is a game that revolves mainly around charging up your power to unleash a big attack or heal and hoping or counteracting things that would otherwise diffuse your power level. Both 8's seem to be love/hates and end up on the bottom of a lot of lists due to that.

The 2's on the other hand both suffer from being sandwiched between the all-time classic series opener, and the much vaster, greater 3 I guess. FF2 is the only main series FF game I never played all the way through (not including sequel titles), and DQ2 has always been my least favorite, assuming you won't rate the originals lower for offering less based on the fact that they are the series openers.

None of them are bad games, of course. There just has to be a "worst".

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 4, 2015

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Skeezy posted:

At the very least I think we can agree that DQ8 had some really great music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg236zrHA40

I think all DQ games have had more or less the same quality of music. Koichi Sugiyama's music is consistent on many levels, which is both pleasant, and a little boring.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Skeezy posted:

Here's 11 minutes of Dragon Quest VIII on the 3DS.

https://youtu.be/rhJGalo9tqk

You’ll find the footage at the following time stamps:

5:05 – 9:16
9:45 – 11:57
12:58 – 14:36
15:00 – 15:35
16:04 – 16:22
18:12 – 18:32

Highlighted new features:
1.) Voice acting (for the first time in a main series DQ title)
2.) New party members
3.) New scenarios and or events
4.) Soundtrack by Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra (東京都交響楽団)
5.) Street Pass implementation of some sort.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

kirbysuperstar posted:

DQM Joker 3 on 3DS

Aww sheeeet. There goes another 300-500 hours of quality gaming.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Maybe 12 hours till DQVIII is available on 3ds. Here's to hoping the new features are something big, I don't expect this to be as good as VII 3ds.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

We already know most of the new features, I think - there are two new playable characters (Red/Morrie), visible encounters, extra dungeons and other new content including a new ending/epilogue, a new camera system/sidequest with Streetpass/online functionality that tasks you with taking photos of rare monsters, landmarks etc, full JP VA, and so on.

The street pass functionality in VII was geared to be pretty top notch, but ended up kinda lackluster. It was dungeons like IX that you could trade via passing or once per day online with a random person, but they were way too limited unfortunately. I want something like that, but with better execution, and more post game content.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
gently caress mobile games, esp DQ ones.

That Dragon Quest Caravan Monsters browser game was cancer.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Just booted it up, can confirm no 3D. Disappointing to some extent, but they do this a lot with DQ games. Monsters 2 on the 3ds for example had no 3d, but VII did. Graphics look fine, so far.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Can't remember if this is an old feature or not, but I see random really strong monsters appearing with sword icons above their heads. Got into a fight with a machine that nearly one shot my dudes at lv 3. Ran away, and haven't seen since.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Trick I discovered for anyone playing DQVIII 3ds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xaull0rHT5U

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Evil Fluffy posted:

NES DW4's AI didn't "learn" anything. You could fight the same enemy 50 times and the AI would still do the same stupid poo poo every time. AI would use magic against metal slimes/babbles/kings all the time in addition to the sheer uselessness they had in boss fights.

Which is why DQ4 isn't the best DQ game. If it didn't have that fatal flaw, most old school players would award it the title of supreme DQ overlord, I believe.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
DQVII 3ds is awesome. DQVIII not so much, but I hope they both sell well here.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Real hurthling! posted:

why? is 8 supposed to be bad? idk

The 3ds version of 7 had new content, awesome street passing features, rehauled classes, etc.

The 3ds version of 8 is a low resolution iphone port with a useless street passing feature that in the extremely unlikely chance you get to work doesn't benefit you in any way or add anything to the game. It has new content too, but overall is very very underwhelming, and low effort.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Srice posted:

It's not the iphone port.

It's a port that is basically based off the iphone version that was released, but with a few added benefits such as voice acting, orchestrated music, and the 3DS content additions. None of the things you would expect to be fine tuned for a 3DS release such as passable streetpass/online content, and full 3-D (I guess most people don't care about this) were implemented.

Most of the additions are things not present in the japanese ps2 ver that were done for the NA localization of the ps2 version anyways, so the port as a whole is mostly underwhelming for western audiences.

DQ7 is like playing an enhanced version of the psx game, whereas DQ8 is like playing a less pretty version of the ps2 game with a few minor additions.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ImpAtom posted:

No it isn't. You are also perhaps the only person in the world to care that much about streetpass, especially since it will be basically worthless regarldess of how good/bad it is outside of Japan.

OK, let me rephrase my criticisms.

the 3DS version of DQ8 feels and looks like (because it was probably, speculation) it was based off the iPhone port that came out before it, but has 2 new characters that you get ~80% of the way through the game, and orchestrated music/voice overs.

As for streetpassing, DQ8 has a streetpass feature where you take photos of stuff and send them to people online to get small rewards in exchange for your photos being favorited, but you can't get rewards from it because you have to pass the same randomly selected person via online pass twice for it to work, just like regular mii plaza passing

The 3DS version of DQ7 has online street passing that adds bonus dungeon maps similar to DQ9 to it., as well as dozens of SQex free DLC maps that add special monsters, bosses, and items to the game. This is a huge deal, and it is a big step back when you go up a game version that was hastily released, and features less content than its successor as a result.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 13, 2015

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Zurai posted:

That isn't StreetPass, that's SpotPass.

You street pass random people online for user generated maps (that can be made via the monster park), and you also get bonus maps from SQex at any time as DLC that are released over time, similar to the way you would in DQ9.

Both have monsters and bosses unique to their respective dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The orchestrated music isn't the same as the NA PS2 version, the Japanese VA is new (not that it matters to most), they added instant alchemy, new characters, visible encounters, tweaked the difficulty/xp curve, added new dungeons, wireless features, the camera, etc.

If you don't like the new features or think they don't compensate for the graphical hit then fine, but don't act like they didn't do anything.

I think it's a very low effort cash cow release when you compare it to all the previous remakes, and specifically DQ7. Everyone I know that played the Japanese version agrees 100%.

It's great they are releasing it here, and if you loved it the first time you'll love it again, but the game that is far more exciting coming here is DQ7.