Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Lascivious Sloth posted:

This is great news. The rebels have really upped the pace. It appears they are much more organised and are strategising directly with NATO. I can only imagine what the battle for Tripoli is going to be like.

Too bloody :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Wow, Tripoli just seems to collapse like a deck of cards for CQ, I'm really happy that the bloodshed has been as limited as it has been so far :unsmith:

Also, Brown Moses, you are the best news feed.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

Also, Morsi has just passed an executive order banning photos of him hanging on any public institution and banning newspapers from issuing congratulations and full-page praises to the president that were common in Mubaraks time.

No matter how you view the MB this is a pretty awesome move.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Kaal posted:

Every religion has a tradition of systematically destroying the idols of their competing systems. Islam is no different in this.

Timbuktu and the Songhai Empire were all islamic enteties though, so it is not really like the buddah demolition.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

az jan jananam posted:

Saudi newspaper editor Sultan Aljoufi celebrating the arrest of Nimr with desert

"The arrest of the traitor Nimr al-Nimr, courtesy of the Saudis"

"To hell, Nimr al-Nimr"

They say to hell but it is shaped like a heart :3:

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Golbez posted:

Russia is its own region. They have a 140 million people. They can live without influencing even MORE people and area. They only care about their "influence" due to Soviet nostalgia and having NATO to focus against.

What I'm saying is: Russia needs to grow the gently caress up, stop being childish, stop obsessing over "waaah I wanna be a world power," and join the 21st century. You know, that century that doesn't have a Soviet Union, and they should give up on it?

Maybe the US, Europe, China and the gulf states should do the same then... but sadly, having the ambition of a slug makes other states punt you around and make conditions worse for your country/government. If you have the power to influence politics in your favor you will do that, and Russia still has that power.

And as I dont think anyone has brought this up, a consequence of Russia being that big is that it has a lot of internal problems with various minorites and ethnic groups that want autonomy or independance. To actively encourage this behaviour in one of their few close allies might also give fuel to similar internal conflics in Russia.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

If chemical weapons were brought to Lebanon that would be a disaster on its own.

95% domestic use :smith:

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Xandu posted:

The clear implication here is all Israelis should light themselves on fire and die. It's one of those maybe it's a joke but not really.

Funny, becasue I thought it was pretty obvious he implied that one israeli torched himself for that cause and israelis should do the tunisian thing and start a revolution about it.

Different bias v:v:v

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Xandu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sdyMVRxbVc

Interesting rocket. They made it themselves.

I hope it doesnt go bang because obviously it has some accuracy issues and it will land in some totally random place, when launced in a city, probably a place full of people.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

Middle East Wars: Maybe if I shaved they'd stop comparing me to Hitler?

Middle East Wars: Getting rid of Bashar one facial hair at a time

Middle East Wars: Bashar's shaven for terrorists

Middle East Wars: Blood is easier to wash from a shaved face

All of them, on rotation :3:

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Brown Moses posted:

one little prick caused a tremendous amount of pain and suffering.

New thread title :v:

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Jarmak posted:

No, legitimizing bunch of extremist thugs like they are an actual popular social movement is dangerous and idiotic.

Reducing extremist thugs to mindless drones are idiotic since extremism does not materialize out of thin air and infest the minds of random helpless victims, it takes indoctrination and experience to shape a mind like that, and those are very much influenced by factors like culture, economy and foreign policy.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

mitztronic posted:

Re: Iran/Nuclear

Is there any reason Iran doesn't use invest in thorium reactors? Always wondered this, never really got a good answer.

I would guess that they dont because it is a relatively untested technology that they do not have the resources to fully develop and the available knowhows are not as familiar with it.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Brown Blitzkrieg posted:

I feel this is really incorrect. I am an Arab and even I can't tell kurds from Arabs.

Well, language/dialect and name also outwardly shown traits that will mark you as belonging to another ethnicity. To interpret the word "physically" as this might be easier for me as a non naive English speaker though :v:

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Warcabbit posted:

I dunno. If I were Obama, I'd rope-a-dope. Appear to do nothing. This will make the Republicans howl like mad. Then do something exceptionally effective. Say, giving the rebels weapons that can't be scattered about. Why? Because they're attached to _very large vehicles_.
I'm not saying Obama _can_ give 'em Abrams, but something of that level of 'okay, we're committing to you people, and now you can just run the hell over the opposition'.

This is blue sky thinking, of course, but the Republicans are starting to howl about the poor Syrians. As opposed to when they were howling about when we helped Libya.
If this was 15 years into the future you could give them those lovely suicidedrones that are being developed, or just a 3d printer and they can make them themselves... this will probably come true within our lifetime :smith:

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SilentD posted:

They wouldn't even know it's Spetznaz. It's not like they'd be wearing zippy Russian uniforms there if they are there, and it's not like they wear unit identifiers to start with. There are certainly Russian people there, and techs for the gear they sold them. But that sounds like bullshit. And if those clowns did actually execute Spetznaz things would get a lot worse fast, and that's not the type of unit that people with no experience can just take the gently caress on.

Well, he IS dead now so... Though more likely he or someone else heard them speak with some slavic accent, and they thought "Russians!!" when it was actually random mercenaries.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I think this Russian incentive is actually a pretty great solution for all except the reputation of the Obama administration's foreign policy. Hopefully no more cw usage, Russia and Syria looking like obvious liars and the idea of diplomatic solutions not being totally dead. All the while the average Syrian will still have the same lovely time as he would otherwise, but he might not die to nerve gas in a bombshelter.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MothraAttack posted:

An expert on the Iranian Air Force published an article in Combat Aircraft Monthly alleging that Iranian F-14s have been chasing glowing, high-flying objects over Iran's nuclear facilities for the past nine years. Iranian sources allege that they can hit Mach 10, fly higher than known drones and can scramble electronics equipment.

They were chasing meteorites, aliens would have anal-probed the pilots, and I can't read anywhere that the pilots did anything illegal.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

Watch out for guys marching around your walls with trumpets.

More like watch out for guys with big-rear end cannons.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

suboptimal posted:

Do you know who HRW is and what they do? Reading your sole post in this thread seems to indicate that no, you do not.

If this is Arghy from eve online I assume you will have a nice mostly nonsensical debate about this the coming pages :)

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Gen. Ripper posted:

These people! You stupid pie-in-the-sky idealists thought they could actually have a shot at democracy, when the only way they know is brute force! I've always told you they could never rule themselves, and here's the proof!

:jerkbag:

No that is a realist approach, democracy is no magic bullet that will work easily in the short or medium term, especially if there is no national tradition in running and respecting elections and the country is full of armed factions. Military dominance are much better in doing that but then you suddenly have one strong military that rule them all, and strong militaries do not have a good track record in respecting the will of the people.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

that makes no sense though, I never joined a fighting force and invaded a country and did two tours there, and then come out and say 'I'm really sad for Iraqi's', just because I wasn't in any particular branch that did war crimes or whatever.

I am not placing blame on this guy, he wasn't any kind of decision maker, I'm saying that he has no moral right to pretend that he has any kind of sympathy or sadness for the people of Iraq since he was part of an apparatus that oversaw it's destruction and a mass murder of it's population. I'd LOVE to have seen whether his 'sadness' and 'empathy' prevented him from saying anything when it was the military occupation doing most of the killing and destroying before the regime THEY INSTALLED picked up the slack. It's strange how there's this narrative going on that the U.S. military is some kind of doe-eyed thumb twiddler who walked into a situation they didn't understand when if you look back and see how systematically brutal the occupation was that's clearly not the case.

If he went to serve the geopolitical and economic interests of his country, then fine, that's his job and he needs the tuition money. He's not the one who has to bury the dead, heal the torture wounds, and watch society collapse and have a foreign occupation be the master of your country and Mercenaries be the rule of law, etc. but PLEASE don't try to sell me that you give a poo poo about Iraqi's when you were part of the shoelace that formed the boot on their necks.

You sound an awful lot like one of those neocon douches that think people who committ a crime and get sent to jail are forever irredeemable subhumans with no worth in their opinion ever.

From previous posts I know you are not but you sure sound like one now.

Shitloads of young people that serve in the military starts doing so because they are naive and/or since it is a way to get an education you can't otherwise afford. And if you are part of that whole machinery/culture you are always reminded of the greater good in your actions, which makes actually rejecting all that crap even harder. Its basically the same feedback as being in a gang, you usually join because of a mix of social glorification and necessity. You might know what you are doing ain't right, but most of your friends, who are also in the gang, pats you on the back and says its ok anyway. But you wouldn't say that an ex gang member were crying crocodile tears if he laments the new gang war that broke out in his old hood.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

botany posted:

It's perfectly fine to blame a gang banger for, you know, being a gang banger. If they have change of heart afterwards, great, but that doesn't excuse the poo poo they did in the first place. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that the poster in question is genuinely concerned over the plight of the Iraqis, but they still deployed as part of a force that literally carried out war crimes against the population. Even if Bait and Swatch wasn't part of any of the excesses, he/she was still part of the human infrastructure that enabled the siege of Fallujah etc. Being roughly reminded of that once in a while isn't really unreasonable.

Of course it does not excuse that poo poo, but it makes the point of Al-Saqr really loving dumb as he said "you have no right to start lamenting on a situation that was created and abetted by the U.S. Occupation of Iraq" which would indicate that because you (perhaps insignificantly as we didn't get details) participated in the evil that happened you have no right to feel bad about it and wish them a better future.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

AllanGordon posted:

Any word on what party he would run with?

The winning party :(

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Kaal posted:

But those two things are completely different. Firing a missile at an al-Qaeda leader at a public event might have unacceptable levels of collateral damage, but they would remain collateral and incidental to the intended target. There is no collateral damage in a plane hijacking/suicide attack, as every death is an intentional and deliberate part of the plan.

To raise a less politically-charged example, consider the difference between two hypothetical attacks on a VIP who is meeting their family in a car: The first where a bomb is hidden under their car and detonated when the VIP gets inside with their family, the second where the bomb is strapped to the family and then detonated when the VIP gets in the car with them. In the first example, the VIP and the car is targeted and the family is collateral damage to that end - their deaths are incidental to the attack, and would not have happened if they had not been meeting with the VIP; in the second example the VIP and the family is targeted, and as their deaths are essential to the attack they are deliberate, not collateral, damage.

It goes back to the concept of due diligence that I was talking about earlier. A justifiable attack needs to contain a reasonable effort to avoid causing civilian casualties, even if that effort is imperfect. Perhaps this sounds like quibbling over semantic details, but I think that it's an important part of conducting ethical war. It's the difference between bombing a building after telling authorities to evacuate it, and simply blowing it up during peak hours. It's the difference between mining a trench-line, and leaving toy-mines around enemy villages. It's the difference between toeing the line of morality, and abandoning morality in pursuit of your own goals.

There is no ethical war, there will never be an ethical war. There is no difference at all between knowingly killing a VIP and his family with a carbomb or killing the VIP and his family with a bomb unwittingly carried by his family, you are still killing the same amount of "civilians" to get to your target. You also hold all factions to the highest possible material standards, all your talk of how to conduct an attack assumes the attacker is a well off industrialized nation-state with the logistical, material and informational capacity to carry out a clean and efficient attack with a weapon that cause the minimal amount of collateral causalities.
So what you are basically saying is that if you lack the resources of a modern industrialized state, you are not allowed to fight a war, because then it might be dirtier than the other part would like. A lack of resources usually makes "dirty" tactics even more appealing since that still offers a way to strike at your enemy and punch above your weight.

For WTC, the terrorists did not have a cruise missile, so they chose another type of aimable weapon with a high destructive capacity (though they probably didn't mind the extra civilian casualties too, as that would bring them and their cause even more fame and as americans they were willing accomplices of the devil anyway.). And trying to qualify a target as a military targets are a also a pretty useless endeavor when the motivation for one side is the cultural destruction of the other and not a military conquest (which all "rules of war" assume). And really the main purpose of the WTC attack was more of an inspirational PR stunt than a deathblow to US hegemony.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Sucrose posted:

True, but in the meanwhile I don't particularly think throwing up your hands and going "Eh, kill all the civilians you want, it's all the same" is the answer either. The line has to be drawn somewhere, whether it's at what can be legitimately targeted or what ratios of dead civilians are acceptable.

This is good and all but this also assumes that everyone has the ability and priority of doing so. In reality the amount of dead civilians accepted depends on what the belligerents can get away with without compromising their supportbase and mission.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Count Roland posted:

I'm interested in donating money to a charity that will help out refugees from Syria. Are there any that are known to be good? As in, the money will actually be helping people, instead of being embezzled? If anyone has any resources on this I'd be most interested.

I'd be particularly interested in those that aid refugees in Lebanon (refugees are now like a quarter the population of the country), or Kurdish refugees (who have no friendly nation to assist them).

For low embezzlement probability you could try donating to the government of :sweden: :v:

Though really, i would guess throwing money on MSF is never a bad option, even if you can't earmark the donation.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

Wow, is that for real?

Yes, though he did take back some of that a some years later, and admitted it was dumb.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Saint Celestine posted:

Apparently a suicide bomb maker/instructor blew himself up and a bunch of his pupils-

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/11/world/middleeast/suicide-bomb-instructor-accidentally-kills-iraqi-pupils.html?smid=re-share&_r=0

BAGHDAD — A group of Sunni militants attending a suicide bombing training class at a camp north of Baghdad were killed on Monday when their commander unwittingly conducted a demonstration with a belt that was packed with explosives, army and police officials said.

The militants belonged to a group known as the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, or ISIS, which is fighting the Shiite-dominated army of the Iraqi government, mostly in Anbar Province. But they are also linked to bomb attacks elsewhere and other fighting that has thrown Iraq deeper into sectarian violence.

If true that is pretty ironic. Like a perfect real life depiction of that comic which has circled the web for years.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Maksamakkara posted:

I don't understand, why is that kind of posting tolerated here. :( What does that accomplish, exactly?

I thought it was very obvious and not even contested point that USA have chosen their side to be Not-Assad? That does not mean that they are in love with islamic terrorism.

He is replying to a troll post by babychoom that claim the US is the primary backer of the rebels, as usual no references were given, not even the foxnews or RT quality of sources he usually cites.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Maksamakkara posted:

VVVV WTF? Troll? I...guess I don't understand anything then because I unironically thought that USA IS the main backer of the groups trying to topple Assad? I don't honestly understand why the point made by babychoom is particularly controversial either...

It is a troll because he most likely knows the rebels are not a monolithic single faction and that the rebel factions that perform the vast majority of suicide attacks are not the ones being supported by the US. It seems pretty obvious that he continues to post vague assertions without reliable sources just to watch people post for two pages about why the claim he made is faulty. Its nice that more viewpoints are introduced to the thread but not when they all take the form of shitposts with no or little evidence to back them up.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Smashurbanipal posted:

In Iraq related news, everyone's favorite Shia firebrand Moqtada al-Sadr has announced that he's "retiring" from politics.

http://english.al-akhbar.com/conten...lAkhbarEnglish+

He recently discoverd Steam and bought a new rig.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Brown Moses posted:

Looks like the scandal might spread, the latest tape implicate a Spanish company, which could take events out of Erdogan's control if they start being investigated.

This would be hella sweet, I cant wait for other international companies gets involved. Globalization wooooo!

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ham posted:

Meanwhile, Sisi is busy curing AIDS, Hep C, all viruses known to man, diabetes, cancer and leprosy with the miraculous CC-Device, set to begin operation on the 30th of June, well past the presidential elections. What else? He's also initiated a massive $40 billion USD construction contract with UAE construction firm Arabtec to build one million housing units in Egypt for the "youth". The project will begin immediately after the presidential elections, and will be fulfilled in 4 years. That's about 28 buildings constructed per hour.

Sweden did this during 10 years during 1965-1975, considering advancement in prefab building techniques since then and enough cheap labour i guess it could be doable, unless the money disappears on the way, and they are not allowed to skimp on some quality. I have no idea of what Sweden's project cost but the buildings themselves are today mostly ranked as substandard, though at the time they were a significant improvement.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MothraAttack posted:

Navy SEALS retake North Korean-flagged Morning Glory at the behest of the Libyan and Cypriot governments, currently sailing it back to Libya.

Da gently caress?

:pirate:

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MothraAttack posted:

To be fair NK revoked its license last week and it had gone rogue.

Where are you getting all of this? I can't find any of it.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I bet its retroactively and they are justifying some massacre.... :smith:

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Count Roland posted:

I find this surreal. How can fascists side with muslims/arabs? Does race not matter to them in this case? They also called out US hegemony which I thought was interesting, I didn't know the far right had an issue with that.

Strange stuff, thanks for sharing.
Fascists are not necessarily racists but nationalists. And while the vast majority of them down there probably thinks brown people are lesser human beings, there are shades of brown and gently caress them Muslims.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Is it normal for tanks to have these dashcams or is it something unique for Syrian tanks to make nice propaganda bits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Brown Moses posted:

Videos showing opposition held hostages being released in Latakkia as part of the Homs deal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go3t7CEnOyg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_VWohc_SCw

I suspect these are the same hostages some people have claimed were bused to Eastern Ghouta to be killed as part of the August 21st false flag Sarin attack.

Also in Iraq, it appears the Iraqi Air Force has started using improvised barrel bombs in Fallujah.

Are these really so cheap and efficient that they beat all the secondhand bombs that must be overflowingly abundant in the world?

Or is it just so cheap since it can be produced domestically and dont need to rely on specific imports?

• Locked thread