Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So this was yesterday. Is it gonna be civil war time again now in Turkey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Not to put too fine a point on it, but don't Russias airstrikes mean that they've categorically refected a diplomatic solution to the Syrian civil war? I mean, isn't the only real alternative for the West to militarily support the legitimate government of Syria?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well whatever you call them, the point still was that it's not really possible to negotiate on any level with Russia and Assad's regime. So the only alternatives are either to watch Russian air power annihilate first the northern resistance and then the southern, or do something about it.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

gently caress, who do you did it?

Probably IS, possibly with somebody in the security services closing their eyes a whole lot.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well, Hollande did wish for his popularity to explode...

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Swan Oat posted:

Russia is also building four nuclear reactors for a new Turkish power plant. I have no idea about nuclear power but I can't imagine finding a new vendor for a project that's been ongoing for five years would be easy or simple. That probably would not be good for Turkey. Or Rosatom.

If they actually do that, it's going to mean the end of business prospects for Rosatom outside of Russian-aligned states. Finland is going to cancel their reactor plans in a hurry for one if it turns out their contracts are tied to geopolitical events and interests.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hello
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-35213244

bbc posted:

Saudi Arabia has executed the prominent Shia cleric Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr, the interior ministry said. He was among 47 put to death after being convicted of terrorism offences, it said in a statement. Sheikh Nimr was a vocal supporter of the mass anti-government protests that erupted in Eastern Province in 2011, where a Shia majority have long complained of marginalisation. His arrest two years ago, during which he was shot, triggered days of unrest. Sheikh Nimr's death sentence was confirmed in October. His brother said he was found guilty of seeking "foreign meddling" in the kingdom, "disobeying" its rulers and taking up arms against the security forces.

Now taking bets on the Sunni Shia civil war spreading to Arabia now.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

blowfish posted:

can't decide if saudi arabia destabilising would be a good thing or a bad thing for everyone else

me neither, but least it'll be entertaining

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Charliegrs posted:

Eh I think it will be more of an uprising in the Shia area of Saudi Arabia followed by a very brutal crackdown and no condemnation by the US because hey, gas is super cheap right now.

Yeah! And we're going to do something about it!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lsHWLpPfAk

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Liberal_L33t posted:

These are the people who have been aupporting ISIS though. Even if they weren't actually picking up a gun and fighting for ISIS, anyone who collaborated with them deserves to be made an example of.

I usually don't advocate ravenge attacks on civilian populations, but...

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Angry Salami posted:

Look, it's pretty simple. ISIS would have killed them if they didn't cooperate. So anyone still alive in ISIS territory must be cooperating with them, and thus needs to die. It sounds harsh, but it's the only way to stop ISIS and those who work with them from harming innocent people.

It's a tough chocie but I'm glad the peshmerga are bad enough to make it.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did you hear about ISSIS capturing a surface to air missile launcher system?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Torpor posted:

Amnesty International's apparent indifference to issues with other Islamic extremist faction crimes while focusing on the Kurds seems kind of strange.

Well go on then! Which other extremist islamic factions is Amnesty indifferent towards?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Actually he's completely right. Amnesty is intensively focusing on the Kurds whilst completely ignoring that Hashd al-Shabi literally just killed 100+ Sunni civilians in Muqdadiya, among other totally blatant human rights violations going on through Iraq.

When did this happen?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's a bit of an odd thing to hear about Amnesty being biased against Kurds in general the moment accusations of crimes against humanity start being brought up against YPG. I don't recall them doing a whole lot of Kurdbashing before this little fracas in Syria started.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lascivious Sloth posted:

By the way, I watched this video; https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2016/01/video-banished-and-dispossessed-in-northern-iraq/

I'll note a few things in this; the terrible camp near the end has nothing to do with Peshmerga forces and is not in the location they say. I've been in this camp, and it IS the worst ever, but it is not what you think, and not where you think. Jalawla also has returnees both Sunni and Shia of Arab background currently and the destruction there WAS caused by a fierce fight by Daesh versus Peshmerga, NOT Peshmerga raising it to the ground for its own interests (in fact it goes against Kurdish interests to destroy this town.) It was a certain tribe that took allegiance to Daesh that cannot return. Looking at the landscape it's obvious she really only visited Diyala and Sulaymaniyah and edited some videos of Sinjar into it. I've been to every sight shown in this video and it's completely biased and actually just really ignorant reporting.

Well if you visited all these places shown in the vid I sure hope you took pics! That would be important if you wanted to prove that there were no attemps to demolish those villages! Post them!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Liberal_L33t posted:

Perhaps in a few decades, weapons technology, rehabilitation techniques and psychological warfare will have advanced to the point where it is no longer necessary to kill such people in order to put an end to militantly regressive ideologies. But for now, in the process of conflict between nations and ideologies, "morally" innocent people will be swept up and killed amid the chaos. I don't feel that dwelling upon those realities up until the point that all conflict becomes unacceptable is the best response.

I for one am glad that we don't have to worry about """"morally" innocent people" being killed if its chaotic and really serves to uh.. Help me out here. Anyway, let's not dwell on it, the most important thing is that the fascists currently in power aren't islamists. That's the most important thing! Nevermind those chimneys!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nothing better than a clean genocide.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

McDowell posted:

The fact that for many it is not is why we need revolution.

Want, not need. Which is why it's not happening.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A brave new world awaits us in the future. Reproductive rights will be granted to the survivors of gladiatorial murderfuck battle-royales waged with weaponized attack wombs. Anime is real.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shageletic posted:

It is the only real end goal to all this madness, as it serves as the least bad option for venting political ideologies and as a non-violent playing board for various political factions to wage combat. Without the presence of some sort of popular political representation, states must rely on economic and deeply ideological identities, which are both considerably precarious.

Nope, there are plenty of other ways for people to vent their anger in Western societies. Protests, voting for right-wing populists, mocking politicians on twatter, becoming politically apathetic or involving yourself in some identity politics social cause all make you feel better, feel like you've done something, while actually having no effect on the injustices of our society or the way power and wealth are distributed (or rather, appropriated). They all require rather minimal amount of investment and provide a big emotional returns for the participants, while the structures of power remain unchanged.

We will see a true revolution only when our relations both with the structures of power (that is, state institutions and corporations) and between each other change in a way that cannot be appropriated by the structures of power. The internet for example is an incredibly powerful creation that definately changed our relations with both of those, however the internet was also readily appropriated by those structures of power.

That, or hunger. Hunger is a good way to make a revolution happen, though what follows is rarely pleasant.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I guess Obama gets to eat poo poo and watch Assad & Putin win. Lmao red lines gonna get drawn, in Syrian blood

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cippalippus posted:

Assad still controls more than half of the population, and the rest is split between various rebels (up to Al Nusra), ISIS and Kurds. You can't end the war in Syria without negotiations anyway.

The Russian air force begs to differ.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

McDowell posted:

Bring out the Trump card...the power...the devastation. Acts of terror shape the mass perception of reality.

I'm going to reshape your rear end in a top hat in a minute.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

White Phosphorus posted:

The ethnic cleansing carried out by the Kurds is all Turkish propaganda, is that what the official D&D line is?

https://philosproject.org/assyrian-christians-life-inside-a-war-torn-nation/

That is what the official DnD line is.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Captain Bravo posted:

Literally one dude was saying that. I wasn't aware that Lascivious Sloth now speaks for all of DnD.

You're welcome! Should anyone else have any questions about what the official DnD line is on any given issue, you know where to find me! Stay safe and Sagol!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

White Phosphorus posted:

Yes and those Arabs who may or may not have supported ISIS get their houses marked, burned, and bulldozed. You are good if you support the Kurds 100%, but if you are not they will kill/move you just like the regime. In fact, that's why Assad and Putin like the Kurds, they understand them. It's gently caress you got mine all the way down.

Well yeah, it's a civil war after all. That's sort of how these things go. Or rather, usually it's far worse than a few burned houses. I don't think there's any reason to think that Assad has any particular fondness of Kurds, aside from the fact that they are currently not shooting his dudes on sight.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Because [GAS].

It's the reason. Let's not pretend it doesnt exist.

You what mate?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

He's got a lot to say, yeah, but he's gonna wait until he gets home. He's not at the frontline anymore, though. I'll do an effortpost when he gets back and I chat with him in person. Want to clarify what all I can say, that sorta thing.

What front was he fighting on? Along with the YPG International brigades? What nationality is he? Is he a Muslim? Asking for mom.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

He was near Kirkuk and Shingal along with a few others, and he was with the YBS most recently (PUK before that). He's an American, and no he is not Muslim. I'll be able to go into more detail once he's back; he's cleared me to say everything I've said here, btw.

Cool! Can't wait! Hope he wasn't ethnically claensing!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Panzeh posted:

If you're considered a terrorist organization because Turkey doesn't like you, you're probably good people.

You do realise that position is in itself an ideology?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

McDowell posted:

He might be using more nuance and restraint but the idea of funding 'our' guys is still the same as it has been throughout the Cold War. It was the Reagan model of cowboy foreign policy to occupy Iraq & Afghanistan with no reconstruction plan or exit strategy. Really no single individual can be blamed or expected to fix it - institutional/cultural inertia is a bitch.

A new strategy would be to shatter people's perceptions and bring despair to all the extremists of the Middle East - they must be shown that their dreams of ethnically and religiously pure states can never come true.

I'm sure the hundreds of thousands of Syrian dead and millions of refugees would agree.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

McDowell posted:

They will when Daesh is gone and all nations have commited to building a secular Middle East.

Yeah I'm sure they'll be really glad for being holocausted by the really secular Bashar al-Assad. They'll thenk the West every night in the death camps for not giving a poo poo and finding excuses not to lift a finger and instead say it's allright and they didn't gently caress up at all.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The only point when the West became interested in the Syrian Civil war was when Daesh made attacks against Western interests, and Daesh was the only target of those actions. Our involvement has nothing at all to do with the suffering of Syrian people or their fate, only our interests.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nevermind 'secularism'. loving lmao tho, yeah allowing the secularist Assad whose line has from the start been that he's fighting for secularism and against Jihadist terrorists to butcher hundreds of thousands of people is a real good way to convince Muslims in general of the value of secular, non-sectarian governmental forms as opposed to Islamism. Especially when it comes to efficiency in genocide.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Quorum posted:

The edit button exists, friend.

Yeah! And clicking it takes to a page where you can edit your post! If that's a thing you wanna do!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Boom goes the shrine!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

McDowell is great. Dark Gnostism ftw!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU